GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy - Shot Gun start at 12:00 PM est

Status
Not open for further replies.

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
I hope Iginla enjoys the twilight of his cupless career in Colorado. He'll have a long time to think about it in retirement, laying on his millions like a dragon hording gold.

No one can say this was anything other than about the money.

i agree. very disappointed. thought at this point in his career he would be more interested in the cup. maybe after this past year he decided it's not worth it..

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
You complain that we're not as good as Montreal or Tampa, and then you suggest we get rid of Boychuk and bring in MDZ.

I don't get it.

I'm not suggesting it, I'm telling you more cuts are coming. I'm not complaining I'm telling you any Montreal fan can tell you Montreal is better than Boston and have the evidence to prove it.

When you look at the roster you have to get creative with those cuts. More are coming and bringing in a cheap Del Zotto to offset the losses you are going to see on the back end (front end already lost their 30 goal scorer) could be a possibility to help out.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
disappointed with iginlia. can't really blame him but i really thought he would be after the cup more than money+years at this point in his career.

3 years in Colorado gives him a better chance at a cup than 1 year in Boston IMO. It's not like he took a deal with a non-playoff team. The Avs are only going to get better and Iginla is a perfect fit for them.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Hasn't Chia been after Vrbata a couple times before...

Probably. He was making $3m a year and was one of the most underrated players in the league. Gonna be asking for a bit more on the market, especially since the market has narrowed down with Vanek/Moulson signing, but he'd be a good fit. Not sure we have the space, though.

Chia has always been all over those underrated types of players. Peverley, Seidenberg, Kelly, Eriksson, so on and on..

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Deryk Engelland to CGY. 3 year deal worth $2.9M.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
....on paper.

I think the Bruins also lost a lot of leadership with Thornton as well. Guy was a leader and has multiple rings from different teams. He was a great teammate and had a lot to do with the chemistry of the team. Iginla was a perfect fit but cap room issue reared its ugly head. Lets see what Chia can do but its not looking promising. I think the team is weaker this season than last.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So far Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto getting worse. Buffalo getting better but still terrible.

So far so good for quite a few of our rivals.

I disagree

Out:
Gorges (opens up a LD position desperately needed)
Briere (overpaid playing on the 4th line and small 5'7)
Gionta (slow and small 5'9)
White (benchwarmer/small 5'11)

In
PA Parenteau (2nd liner that adds size 6'0)
Malhotra (good 4th liner and adds size 6'2)
Gilbert (Fulfills the habs' RD need and adds size 6'2)
Sekac (good project and adds size 6'2)

Only deal that could hurt the habs is the Gorges one, but it frees up that much needed LD spot for Emelin who has been playing badly on the right side...so that allows one of Tinordi or Beaulieu to come up now.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The goal is to win the cup not to win the trade.

big picture. In a cap world you have to sometimes give up the better talent to make a better team.

You know if they had real prospects, not the overrated ones this board loves, I would be ok with this.

I don't believe Ryan Spooner is a top 9 forward, or Alex Khokhlachev. Jared Knight is not a scrappy third line warrior (who can't make an AHL teams top 3 lines), Anthony Camara is a long term bottom 6 forward, Craig Cunningham is to small to be a true impact NHLer and Justin Florek might be an ok bottom 6 winger a year or two down the road.

Their best bet is packaging some of that lot with Bartkowski and a pick to grab a legit prospect who may be able to fill a bottom six roll this year but has upside.

I see no real help from Providence and Eriksson on the top line is basically admitting this is a retooling year, that will make Chara and Siedenberg a year older and past their primes.

If you can't compete, and I don't believe they can, blow it up, keep your young core (Lucic, Marchand, Bergeron, Hamilton, Krug, Smith and Miller,) resign Soderberg to 4-5 years and start retooling.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I hope Iginla enjoys the twilight of his cupless career in Colorado. He'll have a long time to think about it in retirement, laying on his millions like a dragon hording gold.

No one can say this was anything other than about the money.

You think that in 2 years time the Avs will not be just as good as the Bruins? Time is on their side since guys like Landeskog, O'Reilly, Duchene and MacKinnon will only get better while Chara, Seids, etc. only get worse.

This was not just about money. I would argue that he has just as good a chance at a cup in 3 years with the Avs as he has in 1 year with the Bruins.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I dont blame Iggy at all. No way Id pass up a deal like that. Plus I dont dont think the Avs are gonna suck over that period.

I wouldn't either, but he doesn't play their type of game.

Iggy isn't a 3rd line player, he's going to play with MacKinnon or Duchene. They play a run and gun type of game with crazy speed. Iginla... doesn't do that, to say the least. Don't think it's a great fit. But the team is great. Got the money he wanted and a chance at the Cup to boot. But he has a weird place there. He did well with Krejci and Lucic because they played a slower game that emphasized possession.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
I'd like to have a legit top 6 forward and not have to move Erickson up to the first line.

I realize the season doesn't start for a few months, but at this point that looks to weaken both the first and 3rd lines and puts more pressure on a kid with one season under his belt.

Who's a legit top 6 forward?

And Eriksson who was a complete top 6 70+ forward, who didn't produce in a shorten season on a bad team and next year was injured early and on a stacked team sharing little ice time, is no longer even considered a potential top 6 forward. A guy we should keep on the 3rd line.

So who exactly would you like to get?

I don't want a description of the ideal players, actual names is the only thing that matters.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Eriksson people, Eriksson, that is Eriksson with two ss's and no C's Eriksson.

Atleast care enough to spell his name right.

And you want MDZ over Morrow or Miller, or everyone else he ****ing blows.

Also Coach Parker will you ever admitt the Bruins did not have #44 versus MTL.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
3 years in Colorado gives him a better chance at a cup than 1 year in Boston IMO. It's not like he took a deal with a non-playoff team. The Avs are only going to get better and Iginla is a perfect fit for them.

Well said bro I agree.. The Avs are a good team and like others have said if they fix up their D, they can do some real damage in the West.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I dont blame Iggy at all. No way Id pass up a deal like that. Plus I dont dont think the Avs are gonna suck over that period.

Lets see Iggy went to cup favorites in the Pens and lost. Next season he went to a cup favorite in Boston and lost. Might as well go to the Avs as they probably have as good as chance as anyone especially with MacKinnon and Landeskog entering their prime.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I disagree

Out:
Gorges (opens up a LD position desperately needed)
Briere (overpaid playing on the 4th line and small 5'7)
Gionta (slow and small 5'9)
White (benchwarmer/small 5'11)

In
PA Parenteau (2nd liner that adds size 6'0)
Malhotra (good 4th liner and adds size 6'2)
Gilbert (Fulfills the habs' RD need and adds size 6'2)
Sekac (good project and adds size 6'2)

Only deal that could hurt the habs is the Gorges one, but it frees up that much needed LD spot for Emelin who has been playing badly on the right side...so that allows one of Tinordi or Beaulieu to come up now.

I agree Montreal's gotten better, but White is small and Parentau adds size? Gorges open up space and Gilbert (who sucks) fulfills a need? Could you phrase that any more Montreal-leaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad