GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy - Shot Gun start at 12:00 PM est

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
crickets.gif

Expect this from a Bruins perspective...

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
Dan Cagen @DanCagen
Don Meehan, Jarome Iginla's agent, will speak again with Peter Chiarelli in the morning before free agent market opens at noon.

At this point both sides have to know where the other stands. Jarome sleeping on something, I still think he comes back.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Dan Cagen @DanCagen
Don Meehan, Jarome Iginla's agent, will speak again with Peter Chiarelli in the morning before free agent market opens at noon.

At this point both sides have to know where the other stands. Jarome sleeping on something, I still think he comes back.

I agree, I think he's back next year too.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
he'll be back on a bonus laden contract.

let's hope theres some actual frenzy tomorrow.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't think he'll be back, however, I think he wants to come back. Probably like 70/30 that he's gone.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Vanek was bloody terrible these playoffs surely he won't get whats been rumoured ?

Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has said the Wild will not offer Vanek a long-term contract. While they have a ton of cap space to play with (17 players under contract for next year at 49m, leaving just under 20m to spend) there are a ton of RFA's to sign over the next two years (Kuemper, Brodin, Scandella, Coyle, Granlund, Haula, Neiderreiter for a few) so Fletcher isn't gonna want to sign another long term deal that'll hinder them from signing those guys, many of whom have developed entirely in the Wild org.

If Vanek wants to take a contract that's shorter in term but with more AAV, I can see him accepting something from the Wild in the range of 4/30m. If he wants longer term, he'll have to go elsewhere, and there might be some teams who'd offer it to him, although I don't know if they'd be contending teams like the Wild are.

Me, I think he ends up with Minnesota on a smiliar contract. I also think they'll sign a defenseman, and if they don't sign Vanek, it'll be Niskanen. If Vanek does get a contract, I doubt they sign another big contract, but could see a guy like Dan Boyle end up there on a 1-2 year deal to help bridge the gap to 2-3 solid young defensemen working their way up in the Wild system.

Last edited:

David Krejci*

I don't think he'll be back, however, I think he wants to come back. Probably like 70/30 that he's gone.

If he wanted to come back, he'd come back. He's not someone in the prime of his career looking to set himself and his family up for life. He's made his money already.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Biznasty heading to FA. Had a strangely high pts/min ratio or w/e that stat is.

Please? Most Yotes fans agree he's an alright 4th liner. Probably would come cheap too.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
NHL free agency: What to look for

Free agency opens at noon on Tuesday after a five-day interview period in which teams could speak to prospective targets. Some things to expect:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...free-agency/pm9SAIHdbPRlabSPAZUeTO/story.html

LOWER SALARY CAP UNLIKELY TO SLOW DOWN NHL FREE AGENCY
When the clock strikes noon, money will be thrown like crazy ... as usual.

Even with the salary cap being set lower than many general managers expected and hoped for at $69 million and what's considered a shallow pool of top-end players available, this unrestricted-free-agent period figures to follow the familiar script of teams bidding up prices to keep up with each other.

"You have to be prepared rightly or wrongly to overspend and to give more term than you probably would want to," Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said on a conference call last week. "That doesn't mean you don't make a good deal, it's just the deal is probably pricier than you would like."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456103

NHL Free Agency Notebook: Let the madness begin
On the day the Maple Leafs buy out Tim Gleason, we look back at a run of poor contracts on the Toronto blueline that will cost precious cap room down the road.

Did it start with the Mike Komisarek deal? Remember the five-year, $22.5-million deal that became a disaster about two years in? The Leafs bought out the final year of that deal, but not before they had foolishly signed John-Michael Liles to a four-year, $15.5-million deal that the Leafs moved when they dealt Liles to Carolina for Tim Gleason. Gleason had two-and-a-half years left in a deal with an AAV of $4 million, and as of Monday, he is being bought out.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-free-agency-notebook-let-the-madness-begin/

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
At least this year, with the prospective teams having had the 5 day window to talk to UFAs, we won't be wondering if there was tampering when the signings start flowing in during the 1st hour of FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille