GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy (July 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think we all this this already, but Iginla isn't coming to Buffalo. He wants to go to a contender. Boston or Tampa make a lot more sense than us.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
‏@SportsnetSpec
Plenty of interest in Radim Vrbata, ARI RW who has scored at a 29-goal pace over last 3 seasons. As many as 6 teams are serious.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@DarrenDreger
Leafs expected to make another offer to re-sign Bolland today. I don't see Toronto going beyond 5 yrs or $25 mil. May not be enough.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think the free agents they will sign are veterans that nobody else wants. Like Jovanovski and Cleary types.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Everybody wants to play for a contender, of course, but given that the Sabres not only have the money to spend but also desperately NEED to spend, this would be the place to go for a one or two year contract and get paid like crazy. If I was a star player that's the route I'd take. Suffer on a bad team for a short term and laugh all the way to the bank, then I could live with being underpaid by a contender.

Karate Johnson*

Murray said in a radio interview that they have been in contact with players who "have played here before, or have ties to the area"

So... Let's start listing dudes who are from Buffalo, or who played in Buffalo who could be available.

Briere
Stempniak
Kane (haha)
Orpik

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Murray said in a radio interview that they have been in contact with players who "have played here before, or have ties to the area"

So... Let's start listing dudes who are from Buffalo, or who played in Buffalo who could be available.

Briere
Stempniak
Kane (haha)
Orpik

I think that was a reference to Ott and/or Moulson

I can see Ott coming back, but not Moulson.

If we wave enough $$ in his face, that may sway him though. I think when he left, MM said he'd consider coming back, but I feel most players say nice things on the way out, so as not to burn bridges.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Briere
Stempniak
Kane (haha)
Orpik

Moulson
Ott
B. Gionta
S. Gionta
Orpik
Stempniak
Roy
Sarich
Butler
Pyatt
McCormick
Thorburn
Kennedy

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@TSNBobMcKenzie
ANA not qualifying Mathieu Perreault. Ducks have, however, given him contract offer they deem to be substantial. He's UFA unless he accepts.

KennyFnPowers*

My Shopping List (for this year):

S. Ott
B. Boyle
M. Moulson
W. Mitchell
B. Orpik

Edit:

+ B. Gionta

Maybe's (If they can't find another home):

J. Scott
C. McCormick

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Briere
Stempniak
Kane (haha)
Orpik
He's in Colorado for Parenteau

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Aaron Ward @aaronward_nhl 20s
There are 8-10 teams interested in UFA David Legwand. Likes of NYI, FLA, BUFF, TOR. #TSN

Would be a great add. If I were him, out of that list, I'd choose the NYI though. Most likely to be a solid team out of that group.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Orpik is hot garbage these days. Adding him would be akin to Murray wearing a "Lose to Win" shirt

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Orpik's a perfect guy to overpay for two years. I don't care how terrible he is. Crappy players/vet leaders are fine for the short term as a means to get to the cap floor and hopefully guide some of the youth. Just don't go past two years for their ilk.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It's not about his mentality.

As an 18 year old kid he's not going to come in here and start say "Hey guys, this locker room is no good, lets change it up".

He's going to keep his head down and try to deal with playing with 16 year olds top playing with 29 year old. He's not going to know what to do with the millions suddenly in his bank account, what to do with his free time, how much time to spend in the weight room, etc.

Put him on a team where nobody gives a **** and players are just here for their paycheck? It really matters. We need a team that can show him how much work you have to put in at the NHL Level, how to handle yourself, how to take care of yourself. There's a ton more to being a NHLer than showing up to play.

Nolan wouldn't let it get like that to begin with. I should hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad