GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy (July 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I like the 3 year 30 mill for Iggy idea..... even tho it be a pipe.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I wouldn't go 4 years with Orpik. 3 would be my max.

I imagine that Orpik will have a few 3 year offers on the table between 10-14 million total.

We are going to have to overpay, plain and simple for any UFA. With zero recapture risk we can always slightly frontload the deal so a 4th year buyout is marginal if his skill decline.

Something like 6-6-5-3 would result in a buyout of 2 years at 1 million each with a cap hit of 3 million in the 4th year and 1 million the next year.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I think Niskanen will be overpaid. Perfect timing for a breakout season that may result in a 6mil or higher contract. It may not be as disastrous as the Leafs signing Clarkson but it will be more than any of his other seasons would warrant. I don't mind overpaying a guy in his 30s if he can bring leadership to the team but I'd rather not pay a younger guy too much with high expectations that will never be met.

KennyFnPowers*

Willie Mitchel would be so awesome on the Sabres young core..

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Unless Iginla wants to go earn his money here, then go to a contender at the deadline (which i doubt) I don't see it.

He is likely going to go to a contender.

Yeah I know it's not happening, but it would still be cool to have a Sabres jersey with his name on it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I imagine that Orpik will have a few 3 year offers on the table between 10-14 million total.

We are going to have to overpay, plain and simple for any UFA. With zero recapture risk we can always slightly frontload the deal so a 4th year buyout is marginal if his skill decline.

Something like 6-6-5-3 would result in a buyout of 2 years at 1 million each with a cap hit of 3 million in the 4th year and 1 million the next year.

There's some convoluted CBA rules about contract structure... Not sure if that works... CBA people?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
There's some convoluted CBA rules about contract structure... Not sure if that works... CBA people?

CONTRACT VARIABILITY
Front-loaded contracts where the average of salary plus bonuses over the first half of the contract exceeds the cap hit, variability rules apply. Year-to-year variability is limited to 35 per cent of the first-year compensation. If a player earns $10M in Year 1, the contract cannot subsequently increase/decrease by more than $3.5M from year to year. Meanwhile, the lowest year’s compensation cannot be less than 50 per cent of the highest year’s compensation. If a player earns $10M in his highest year, he can never earn less than $5M any other year.
The old 100 per cent rule applies to any other multi-year contract.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I predict at least 1 former Sabre will be signed as a Free Agent by weeks end....pretty bold prediction :handclap:

Karate Johnson*

When does the fiesta begin? Is it high noon on Tuesday or at midnight?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
They'll be making tons of offers... and striking out a lot...

i'll throw some offers out there...

Group 1: Very Unlikley but take a swing...
Stastny 7 yrs / 7 mil per
Iginla 3 yrs / 10 mil per

Group 2: Big Offers, Good Fits, but Unlikely
Michalek 5 yrs / 5 mil per
Orpik 3 yrs / 5 mil per
Niskanen 5 yrs / 5.5 per

Group 3: High Offers, Good Fits, Good Chance
B.Boyle 4 yrs / 4.25 mil per
Bolland 5 yrs / 5 mil per
Stralman 5 yrs / 6.2 per
Moulson 5 yrs / 6. per
Ott 5 yrs / 4.5 per
Pouliot 4 yrs / 3.5 per
Stempniak 3 yrs / 3.75 per
Winnik 3 yrs / 3 per
Goc 3 yrs / 2.5 per

Group 4: Low level, roster depth, need to spend somewhere
McClement 2 yrs / 2.1 per
McCormick 3 yrs / 2 per
Glass 2 yrs / 2 per
S.Bernier 2 yrs / 2 per
Skille 1 yr / 1 per

Pretty good list, TBH.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
League max to Jarome Iginla with a full NMC so he can pick his spot at the deadline, Buffalo retains half salary.

I mean, you gotta make the offer, right?

Sabrefan99

Jun 22, 2014
Is there such a thing as the league max? I think if Ignia took the max from buffalo, he would inherently put a limit on what teams he could be traded to. Since it's probably safe to assume that cinders are at or near the cap ceiling.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Is there such a thing as the league max? I think if Ignia took the max from buffalo, he would inherently put a limit on what teams he could be traded to. Since it's probably safe to assume that cinders are at or near the cap ceiling.
The maximum is 20% of the upper limit in the year the contract is signed, so $13.8m this year.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
They'll be making tons of offers... and striking out a lot...

i'll throw some offers out there...

Group 1: Very Unlikley but take a swing...
Stastny 7 yrs / 7 mil per
Iginla 3 yrs / 10 mil per

Group 2: Big Offers, Good Fits, but Unlikely
Michalek 5 yrs / 5 mil per
Orpik 3 yrs / 5 mil per
Niskanen 5 yrs / 5.5 per

I'm not so sure that Orpik will get that many big offers because of the wear-and-tear and overall mileage on his body. While I don't know if it's a big enough factor for him to accept playing for a doormat, maybe his roots in WNY may play some part in his willingness.

Then again, I'm not sure Murray would view Orpik as a necessity other than perhaps to lend some veteran tutelage to his defense in lieu of re-signing Tallinder.

Group 3: High Offers, Good Fits, Good Chance
B.Boyle 4 yrs / 4.25 mil per
Bolland 5 yrs / 5 mil per
Stralman 5 yrs / 6.2 per
Moulson 5 yrs / 6. per
Ott 5 yrs / 4.5 per
Pouliot 4 yrs / 3.5 per
Stempniak 3 yrs / 3.75 per
Winnik 3 yrs / 3 per
Goc 3 yrs / 2.5 per

Group 4: Low level, roster depth, need to spend somewhere
McClement 2 yrs / 2.1 per
McCormick 3 yrs / 2 per
Glass 2 yrs / 2 per
S.Bernier 2 yrs / 2 per
Skille 1 yr / 1 per

I think that Downie belongs on the list above, if only because he's in the same category of Kaleta/Ott/Girgensons that Nolan would love to have as backup behind the kids when other teams try to intimidate the Sabres. Downie is a decent bottom 6 forward and only 27.

Last edited:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
i really think, Boyle would be in a borderline top 6 role if we got him..

Not so sure about that - if Ennis is defacto # 1 and Hodgson will be on the wing, I don't think slotting Girgensons behind Boyle makes sense, even though I don't think Girgensons should be a # 2 center either.

It's not ideal but I'm anticipating Ennis-Reinhart-Girgensons-Larsson as the 4 centers this season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not so sure about that - if Ennis is defacto # 1 and Hodgson will be on the wing, I don't think slotting Girgensons behind Boyle makes sense, even though I don't think Girgensons should be a # 2 center either.

It's not ideal but I'm anticipating Ennis-Reinhart-Girgensons-Larsson as the 4 centers this season.

Keep in mind Boyle can and has played wing as well.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Keep in mind Boyle can and has played wing as well.

Also that, at least in my opinion, Reinhart is as likely to start at wing as he is center. He's the kind of guy who will have no problem taking the NHL adjustments that he first made at wing and translating them back to center, in the event that's what happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad