2014 Free Agency Continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have wanted Ott for a while. Guy was captain on Buffalo, so he brings much needed leadership. The guy is a beast on faceoff, plays with and edge, good 2 wayplayer that can play center or wing and a line of Komarov - Ott - Clarkson wwould be one of the worst lines to play against. Ott is pretty much another Dave Bolland but would come a lot cheaper.Would love him for 3 to 3.5.

Ott will probably get closer to 4M if not a tad higher. He's not taking a paycut and he was paid just a little over 3M last time.

I'm on the fence with Ott. I can see both sides of the coin that I'm torn if I would want to sign him. I'd almost rather give the spot to Holland for him to gain experience...but Holland can be moved on the wing too, so perhaps something can be worked out.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Wouldn't it be hilarious if somehow Nonis and Shanahan convinced Grabovski to come back and for Kulemin to re-sign...

I don't think I could stop laughing for weeks.

Anyway, names I'd want now:

C: Legwand, Fiddler, Santorelli, McClement, Ott, Konopka
W: Winnik, Morrow, Downie, Byron(C too), Setoguchi
D: Butler, Ranger, Del Zotto, Klesla

Another player would be Schroeder. Still only 23 years old and intriguing potential.

Some names there I agree with. Really dislike all your D selections for varying reasons but mainly none have top-4 potential right now and we really have enough bottom pairing guys ATM. I do think we'll see a trade though. Chicago is sitting PRIME for a salary-dumping trade. I've said it before but if we could somehow slot Patty Sharp on that 2RW post, he would be such a vet presence for this team similar to what Hossa was to Chicago when he first joined. Not sure how the deal would work, though.

As others have said, Martin and Goligoski are two other targets. Boychuk, however unlikely, is also someone who could be had IMO. Z Michalek is another guy.

Leafs still have just 14 players signed so its reasonable to think they'll be busy via trade - 2 for 1 deals are very possible. I'd also like to see us take a stab at Vrbata. Guy can score.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
I heard from *************** on twitter that the Leafs were working on a deal with the Pens involving Lupul. Then went on to say that we(leafs) were interested in Martin...

I don't know if he is reliable, he has got some stuff right before though.

To me it makes a lot of sense that we are shopping Lupul for a #2 d man to play beside Phaneuf.

Lupuls good but with Nylander we now have a 3rd potentially all star quality winger.

We need that top pairing guy to play the shutdown minutes of the east with Phaneuf...Is martin that guy? To me i don't think hes ideal but he does play tough minutes in Pittsburgh and was good on Team USA... So its definitely possible.

Pittsburgh is not moving Martin. Most people would agree that he was their best defenceman last year. After losing Orpik and Niskanen, even with the prospects they have and adding Erhoff, that would be a tough move for Rutherford to make. They would have to be sure one of their respective prospects are ready to make the jump, and hope Matta doesn't hit the sophomore slump.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Philly can give us Giroux if they want. No one else on that team I want at all.

Chicago, I guess I could find a player or two I would take if I look hard enough

Matt Read would be the Leafs third best winger right now. I would take him in a heartbeat if the price is right.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Some names there I agree with. Really dislike all your D selections for varying reasons but mainly none have top-4 potential right now and we really have enough bottom pairing guys ATM. I do think we'll see a trade though. Chicago is sitting PRIME for a salary-dumping trade. I've said it before but if we could somehow slot Patty Sharp on that 2RW post, he would be such a vet presence for this team similar to what Hossa was to Chicago when he first joined. Not sure how the deal would work, though.

As others have said, Martin and Goligoski are two other targets. Boychuk, however unlikely, is also someone who could be had IMO. Z Michalek is another guy.

Leafs still have just 14 players signed so its reasonable to think they'll be busy via trade - 2 for 1 deals are very possible.

There isn't any top 4 D potential available really. I was looking at names that can play up in the lineup depending on injuries and/or maybe even surprise in play. It's called depth and we need it. Every team needs it. This was barring trades... I was purely looking at the UFA names.

Butler played 20 minutes for Calgary last season and wasn't completely out of place. Sure he was overplayed but in a smaller role, he should do great and if needed, he can move up the lineup for short burts. Ranger showed that he can play well at times, low risk. Del Zotto is more of a gamble because he's young and bad defensively, but could be a high potential signing. Klesla is a veteran and showed in the past that he can play big minutes... but injuries are the question mark.

It's all about depth right now on defence. Percy, Finn and others need to play top minutes to develop so I'd rather keep them on the Marlies for as long as I can. MacWilliam and Holzer are your depth right now, which could go either way.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011

Leafs still have just 14 players signed so its reasonable to think they'll be busy via trade - 2 for 1 deals are very possible. I'd also like to see us take a stab at Vrbata. Guy can score.

I would love to see the Leafs grab Goligoski, as I have been a big fan of his for years. He was also on the block last year so its possible. But what would the return be for Dallas?

Goligoski is also a left handed defenceman...... :(

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
There isn't any top 4 D potential available really. I was looking at names that can play up in the lineup depending on injuries and/or maybe even surprise in play. It's called depth and we need it. Every team needs it. This was barring trades... I was purely looking at the UFA names.

Butler played 20 minutes for Calgary last season and wasn't completely out of place. Sure he was overplayed but in a smaller role, he should do great and if needed, he can move up the lineup for short burts. Ranger showed that he can play well at times, low risk. Del Zotto is more of a gamble because he's young and bad defensively, but could be a high potential signing. Klesla is a veteran and showed in the past that he can play big minutes... but injuries are the question mark.

It's all about depth right now on defence. Percy, Finn and others need to play top minutes to develop so I'd rather keep them on the Marlies for as long as I can. MacWilliam and Holzer are your depth right now, which could go either way.

Not via UFA. To be honest I"m perfectly comfortable rotating Holzer, MacWilliam, Percy, Granberg, etc through the bottom pairing as our 'depth' guys. We know right now we're just talking #6 and #7 spots so it's ideal. We still need that #2 guy though, which IMO we'll likely get via trade.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Haven't seen it posted yet so...from bobby Mac.....

Cody Franson was TOR player going to MTL for Gorges. Would have think he's still in play with TOR acquisition of Polak and Robidas.
7:29 PM - 1 Jul 2014

If leafs could somehow parlay Reimer and Franson into a useful player.....
Surely there must be some gm out there intrigued by Fransons size and shot.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Cody Franson was TOR player going to MTL for Gorges. Would have think he's still in play with TOR acquisition of Polak and Robidas.

oh yah - this was pages ago :laugh: Safe to say he's in play though. Lupul + Franson would be a big boost to a team looking for offense.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm interested in Legwand, Ott, Winnik and Downie up front. I would be happy with 2 of them, maybe 3 depending on what happens with Lupul.

Assuming Franson and Reimer are moved, I'd be interested in Del Zotto and Brodeur.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Pierre LeBrunVerified account ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Peter Mueller still on market. He's healthy and ready to return to NHL...

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Would love to get Mark Stuart for that package. Not sure Winnipeg would do it.

CaymanIslands

Apr 12, 2014
Cayman Islands
As it stands now were not going to make the playoffs

If there was any year in last decade to slip into top 5 draft mode its this year. The Leafs would be stupid to make trades to improve enough just to make playoffs or just miss and draft 12-16th when a top 5 would be an elite player and most likely centre

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Didn't Nonis talk about increased roles for Gardiner and Rielly after the Polak trade?

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Granberg - Polak
Holzer

Seems pretty clear to me.

Granberg is a righty

and Nonis also said, Phaneuf may be moved to the left
so, has to be

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Percy - Polak

or
Phaneuf -Polak
Gardiner - Robidas
Rielly - Granberg

1st one looks more reasonable, as putting Polak on the top pair may not be what we want to do, and Phaneuf pref's the right side anyways.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Franson, Reimer, Lupul

for Patrick Sharp

I really like this deal for us but not sure for the hawks. They save about 700k by swapping lupul for sharp, but they are pretty tight against the cap. No room for reimer or franson (based on their qualifying offers, both probably asking for 2M+ each). Unless they are willing to flip them after to other teams for picks or prospects, I don't see this deal happening.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I really like this deal for us but not sure for the hawks. They save about 700k by swapping lupul for sharp, but they are pretty tight against the cap. No room for reimer or franson (based on their qualifying offers, both probably asking for 2M+ each). Unless they are willing to flip them after to other teams for picks or prospects, I don't see this deal happening.

Unless we take Bickell or Leddy as well. May have to open the wallet a little more to get Leddy.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
What about Loktionov ? He has some pretty good advanced stats

Russian, not a grinder, bad at faceoffs. Carlyle would run him out of town before he even gets here. If he can play the wing reasonably well then maybe?

I have wanted Ott for a while ... good 2 wayplayer ... a line of Komarov - Ott - Clarkson wwould be one of the worst lines ...

Which 2 ways would that be? But I agree with the second part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad