2014 Free Agency Continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
GTA Steve Downey would be a good fit and would love to be a Leaf...

Definitely an underrated guy, i like him personally, him and Komarov in the bottom 6...Wow. Would need some size to back them up though.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I heard from *************** on twitter that the Leafs were working on a deal with the Pens involving Lupul. Then went on to say that we(leafs) were interested in Martin...

I don't know if he is reliable, he has got some stuff right before though.

To me it makes a lot of sense that we are shopping Lupul for a #2 d man to play beside Phaneuf.

Lupuls good but with Nylander we now have a 3rd potentially all star quality winger.

We need that top pairing guy to play the shutdown minutes of the east with Phaneuf...Is martin that guy? To me i don't think hes ideal but he does play tough minutes in Pittsburgh and was good on Team USA... So its definitely possible.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Downie has had some success in the past fitting in well with skilled players. I wonder how he'd do with Kadri (Lupul-Kadri-Downie).

Downie, Ott, Komarov, Clarkson, and Kadri on the same team would be hilarious.

Downie and Ott at a combined 5 million would help our depth issues.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
I heard from *************** on twitter that the Leafs were working on a deal with the Pens involving Lupul. Then went on to say that we(leafs) were interested in Martin...

To me it makes a lot of sense that we are shopping Lupul for a #2 d man to play beside Phaneuf.

Lupuls good but with Nylander we now have a 3rd potentially all star quality winger.

We need that top pairing guy to play the shutdown minutes of the east with Phaneuf...Is martin that guy? To me i don't think hes ideal but he does play tough minutes in Pittsburgh and was good on Team USA... So its definitely possible.

As much as I think it's a good idea to trade Lupul, Martin would not be the answer as a #2 and we would have serious issues with secondary scoring.

I don't see Lupul getting traded.

JMcLeaf

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Downie
Frattin-Holland-Clarkson
Komarov- Fiddler-Ashton

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Polak
Granberg-Robidas

Bernier
Reimer/backup

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Downie
Frattin-Holland-Clarkson
Komarov- Fiddler-Ashton

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Polak
Granberg-Robidas

Bernier
Reimer/backup

Do not want downie, apparently he isn't liked by teammates. I don't know if this is true, but apparently he was traded because of some sort of rift between varlamov, his wife, and downie.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
We need depth. Yeah we got some guys from the Marlies that can fill up 1-3 spots, but we lack bottom 6'ers that can maybe step up in case of injury to the top 2 lines. Vrbata is being mentioned a lot and he would be good at a good price, but not someone you over pay for. Other than him, I say we sign 1-2 of these guys at a 1 year / $1-2.75 million deal sort of like a Raymond type deal. Come in, prove your worth, and cash in next season if you do well.

Centers
Daniel Winnik
Vernon Fiddler
Steve Ott

Wingers
Heatley
Havlat
Penner

Other options I see are maybe trying to trade for Versteeg from Chicago. Cheap contract and can fill a top 6 role in our system.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Versteeg
Komarov-Holland-Clarkson
Frattin-Ott/Fiddler/Winnik-Ashton

Because it worked out so swell the last time right? No thanks.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Do not want Roy, Downie, or Jokinen. If we are going to sign a centre, it better be one that should be atleast solid defensively. So cross of Jok and Roy. I'd rather Legwand over either of them. Downie isn't the same player he was. With Clarkson here he is redundant.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Do not want downie, apparently he isn't liked by teammates. I don't know if this is true, but apparently he was traded because of some sort of rift between varlamov, his wife, and downie.

No it was a because Gabriel Landeskog trip him in a scrimage when he was just returning from a knee injury and Downie did not care for this and hit him real hard. Here is link:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...-trade-flyers-avalanche-gabriel-landeskog-hit

My Son played minor hockey against him and Steve was easily the best player in the League. He consistently played up a year.

Here is an interesting read: http://deadspin.com/5165024/young-steve-downies-crazy-head

He was a Leaf fan as a kid and would be excited to be playing back home as he is very close to his family!

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

The Leafs can't afford to move any of the top six forwards now unless a forward is coming back. Moving Lupul would be disastrous at this point unless it's for a clear upgrade up front. I'm guessing that the D is done, barring a D for D trade like Franson going for somebody, or some big deal like Phaneuf for a couple of players, an F and a D.

Scarbarian*

As much as I think it's a good idea to trade Lupul, Martin would not be the answer as a #2 and we would have serious issues with secondary scoring.

I don't see Lupul getting traded.

Are u guys kidding? Martin would be a HUGE acquisition for you guys. Lupul is a very good top 6 player but he has too many factors going against him(such as health and injuries) and not at all competitive defensively.

Martin is a legit top-pairing d-man at a reasonable price.

I would love for this deal go down for your guys sake because I really like the Leafs. It would be more of win for Leafs then Pens if it did go through.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Didn't Nonis talk about increased roles for Gardiner and Rielly after the Polak trade?

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Granberg - Polak
Holzer

Seems pretty clear to me.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
I would have liked to take a chance on Mueller, but signing Komarov put a nail in the coffin. IMO you gotta play leo on the third line with Clarkson or Fratt, which leaves a hole in the middle. You can't have a 4th liner getting 3 million per.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Didn't Nonis talk about increased roles for Gardiner and Rielly after the Polak trade?

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Granberg - Polak
Holzer

Seems pretty clear to me.

Or...

Gardiner - Polak
Rielly - Robidas
Veteran LHD - Granberg
Holzer

Coyotes got to the conference final lead by OEL and Yandle when they were at similar ages as Rielly and Gardiner are now. They had some good solid veteran players as support but looking at ice time, points etc it was clear it was Ekman-Larsson and Yandle who was the main guys both with a solid partner.

So trading Phaneuf would not necessarily create that big of a hole in the line up even less so if perhaps Pavelski would be coming back. Would allow us to bump down Bozak seeing as Pavelski would then become our 1st line center. And as he shown at the Olympics, he plays well between JVR and Kessel.

Phaneuf? Yeah, he would not complain. Playing on a team lead by Thornton he would not be the main guy in the locker room and he would probably have Vlasic as his partner. Oh, and a nice life on the West coast.

Win win for every one.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wouldn't it be hilarious if somehow Nonis and Shanahan convinced Grabovski to come back and for Kulemin to re-sign...

I don't think I could stop laughing for weeks.

Anyway, names I'd want now:

C: Legwand, Fiddler, Santorelli, McClement, Ott, Konopka
W: Winnik, Morrow, Downie, Byron(C too), Setoguchi
D: Butler, Ranger, Del Zotto, Klesla

Another player would be Schroeder. Still only 23 years old and intriguing potential.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Or...

Gardiner - Polak
Rielly - Robidas
Veteran LHD - Granberg
Holzer

Coyotes got to the conference final lead by OEL and Yandle when they were at similar ages as Rielly and Gardiner are now. They had some good solid veteran players as support but looking at ice time, points etc it was clear it was Ekman-Larsson and Yandle who was the main guys both with a solid partner.

So trading Phaneuf would not necessarily create that big of a hole in the line up even less so if perhaps Pavelski would be coming back. Would allow us to bump down Bozak seeing as Pavelski would then become our 1st line center. And as he shown at the Olympics, he plays well between JVR and Kessel.

Phaneuf? Yeah, he would not complain. Playing on a team lead by Thornton he would not be the main guy in the locker room and he would probably have Vlasic as his partner. Oh, and a nice life on the West coast.

Win win for every one.

Other than Pavelski perhaps. Anyhow, not gonna happen.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
sign ott, winnik, ranger

done

JVR bozak phil
lupul kadri frattin
leo ott clarkson
winnik holland ashton
orr

dion reilly
gardiner polak
robidas granberg
ranger

bernier
?????

send franson and reimer packing for more draft picks next year

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Are u guys kidding? Martin would be a HUGE acquisition for you guys. Lupul is a very good top 6 player but he has too many factors going against him(such as health and injuries) and not at all competitive defensively.

Martin is a legit top-pairing d-man at a reasonable price.

I would love for this deal go down for your guys sake because I really like the Leafs. It would be more of win for Leafs then Pens if it did go through.

Definitely would finally give us a respectable defensive core, if not really good, but our scoring depth goes out the window without Lupul. Of course we can find another scoring winger but it's a little risky.

With that said, I'd rather take a major hit offensively then to finish as a laughing stock of the league defensively again.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
With Gleason gone, and FO% being in dire need, Steve Otts faceoff prowess could be very important to Toronto. He had nearly a 60% win rate in st.louis, while a 52% in buffalo.

I could see it happening.

I have wanted Ott for a while. Guy was captain on Buffalo, so he brings much needed leadership. The guy is a beast on faceoff, plays with and edge, good 2 wayplayer that can play center or wing and a line of Komarov - Ott - Clarkson wwould be one of the worst lines to play against. Ott is pretty much another Dave Bolland but would come a lot cheaper.Would love him for 3 to 3.5.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
This team is strange, we seem like the only organisation who refuse to trade players for picks (franson, reimer, grabo, kulemin, Mccarthur...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00