2014 Free Agency Continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
- Sign Brodeur please. Mentor, good back up, vet experience, french Canadian connection.

Bernier/Brodeur - Goaltending CHECK

- Move Franson. We just don't need him anymore.
- not sure how to fill top pairing hole

Phaneuf - xxxx
Rielly - Robidas
Gardiner - Polak

Defence - Missing #2 D

- 1st line is good
- 2nd line could use a better RW
- 3rd line could use Clarkson retiring from the NHL, and a LW
- a 4th line would be good to have

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
- Sign Brodeur please. Mentor, good back up, vet experience, french Canadian connection.

Bernier/Brodeur - Goaltending CHECK

- Move Franson. We just don't need him anymore.
- not sure how to fill top pairing hole

Phaneuf - xxxx
Rielly - Robidas
Gardiner - Polak

Defence - Missing #2 D

- 1st line is good
- 2nd line could use a better RW
- 3rd line could use Clarkson retiring from the NHL, and a LW
- a 4th line would be good to have

The guy that they should go after is Alex Goligoski.

I've said it a couple times.

I'm not sure what else you would have to move to get him, but I'm sure that you could find a way to make it work.

DoubleDouble*

One thing I can take out of this: I think the Habs are going to regress next season. Their second pair for D is Gilbert and Emelin. They might actually have a worse defence than we do, and ours has much more potential to grow. You look at their forwards and I can tell you I liked the team a lot more with Vanek, Pouliot and Gionta. Adding Beaulieu will help but I think he is very overrated, and Tinordi is a borderline #7. Once again, it will be up to Carey Price, I think.

Ottawa also definitely got worse. Unfortunately they will be in the Eichel and McDavid sweepstakes.

Meanwhile, I think we got unlucky at the end of last season, and I like the moves we made this off season. I don't think we will be anywhere near Boston or Pitt, but I can see us getting into the playoffs again.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor140702.html

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to explore the trade market and appear to be set on moving defenseman Cody Franson and goaltender James Reimer.

Franson, a restricted free agent, was almost traded to the Montreal Canadiens for veteran defenseman Josh Gorges.

The Leafs have been shopping Reimer for several months, and kicked up their efforts after the netminder formally asked to be traded, but so far the team has come up empty.

Franson and Reimer could both be moved for draft picks, unless the Leafs can get their hands on a two-way center for their third line.

It's believed the Leafs have some interest in unrestricted free agent forward Steve Ott, who split last season between the Buffalo Sabres and St. Louis Blues.

Ott, 31, is also believed to be courted by the New York Rangers and Detroit Red Wings, among others.

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
this is what I'd like to see :

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / Radim Vrbata ($4.000m)
Leo Komarov ($2.950m) / Peter Holland ($1.500m) / Matt Frattin ($0.800m)
Carter Ashton ($1.500m) / Vernon Fiddler ($2.000m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Josh Leivo ($0.793m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jake Gardiner ($2.500m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m)
Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.000m)
Petter Granberg ($0.800m) / Roman Polak ($2.750m)
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Martin Brodeur ($2.250m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
Tim Gleason ($0.833m)
RETAINED SALARIES (0.29% of upper limit)
Carl Gunnarsson ($0.200m—6.35%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$450,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,757,500; BONUSES: $1,082,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,242,500

Still gives a bit of room too

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
One thing I can take out of this: I think the Habs are going to regress next season. Their second pair for D is Gilbert and Emelin. They might actually have a worse defence than we do, and ours has much more potential to grow. You look at their forwards and I can tell you I liked the team a lot more with Vanek, Pouliot and Gionta. Adding Beaulieu will help but I think he is very overrated, and Tinordi is a borderline #7. Once again, it will be up to Carey Price, I think.

Ottawa also definitely got worse. Unfortunately they will be in the Eichel and McDavid sweepstakes.

Meanwhile, I think we got unlucky at the end of last season, and I like the moves we made this off season. I don't think we will be anywhere near Boston or Pitt, but I can see us getting into the playoffs again.

I know i don't like Beaulieu as much as I do think he's a tad bit overrated but you shouldn't underestimate Tinordi....both of those guys will help the habs and make them quite meaner to play against. I don't think they regressed more like opened up a path, ottawa...yea I do believe has regressed unless their centers take center stage, so it'll be upto ziba and turris to show their value, all while chiasson proves he's a strong player that he's touted to be...a lot of people see him as a second coming of eberle. Guptill who a lot thinks is a throw in also did well with their respective team.

I still think we are in the playoff bubble more than a guarantee, with the bolts giving up quite a bit of fits.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The cover of the Toronto Sun tomorrow.... what crap

Brgk56SIMAI8klH.jpg

love it :laugh:

**** nonis

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
oh and let me make it CLEAR. I did not want Bolland... I'm disgusted with his inability to attract top free agents. Stastny for example was a perfect fit... maybe the Blues are the better team but money TALKS... Give him the presentation of your life, sell the city, endorsements, offer him 7.9 million... etc the guy should be a leaf... no ifs and or buts im sick of this not being the standard

DoubleDouble*

oh and let me make it CLEAR. I did not want Bolland... I'm disgusted with his inability to attract top free agents. Stastny for example was a perfect fit... maybe the Blues are the better team but money TALKS... Give him the presentation of your life, sell the city, endorsements, offer him 7.9 million... etc the guy should be a leaf... no ifs and or buts im sick of this not being the standard

Wow, really? 8 million a year? Have you been watching Stastny play?

Stastny is a slight upgrade over Kadri.

Kadri is YOUNGER, and scored 10 pts less. Think about that. Stastny played with Landeskog and Mackinon, while Kadri played with Lupul and Clarkson.

I mean....talk about delusional. STL way overpaid because they are in cup mode. We are not. We are a few years away. And it's ridiculous contracts like that which will set us back.

I love our FA signings. Nothing too flashy or expensive. good pieces. Develop the rest in the system. Keep drafting, stop trading picks.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Ok...let me help me out.

Paul Stastny grew up in St Louis. his father and uncle or brother also played there strong connection there. Not to mention cup chances are way higher ther.

Bolland...he's not a first line center like Stastny or even a 1B that we should overpay for him. We have a second line center possibly in Kadri or Bozak whatever that maybe we shouldn't damn well overpay for him.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Brodeur started 37 games last season, had a sv% 20 points worse than Schneider, and still complained publicly that he didn't get enough starts. And he's supposed to be a mentor to Bernier?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Ok...let me help me out.

Paul Stastny grew up in St Louis. his father and uncle or brother also played there strong connection there. Not to mention cup chances are way higher ther.

Bolland...he's not a first line center like Stastny or even a 1B that we should overpay for him. We have a second line center possibly in Kadri or Bozak whatever that maybe we shouldn't damn well overpay for him.

Paul Stastny is the exact type of player you overpay for, and the only one on the market that you would... Stastny is worth 7 million. If you have to give him an extra million to persuade him that's fine by me... considering we're overpaying a 3rd liner by 3 million a year.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Wow, really? 8 million a year? Have you been watching Stastny play?

Stastny is a slight upgrade over Kadri.

Kadri is YOUNGER, and scored 10 pts less. Think about that. Stastny played with Landeskog and Mackinon, while Kadri played with Lupul and Clarkson.

I mean....talk about delusional. STL way overpaid because they are in cup mode. We are not. We are a few years away. And it's ridiculous contracts like that which will set us back.

I love our FA signings. Nothing too flashy or expensive. good pieces. Develop the rest in the system. Keep drafting, stop trading picks.

Stastny's production would without a doubt increase in the higher scoring eastern conference and he's a player Kadri would really bennifit from playing with... Kadri-Stastny would be a very good second line, but it didn't happen so i'll leave it at that... we missed out on an opportunity and it's done with.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Paul Stastny is the exact type of player you overpay for, and the only one on the market that you would... Stastny is worth 7 million. If you have to give him an extra million to persuade him that's fine by me... considering we're overpaying a 3rd liner by 3 million a year.

I agree..now even if we overpay paul stastny by say 7.5-8 million range...how can we convince him to kill all those huge ties I've mentioned?

Recall how Suter and Parise weren't that overpaid compared to other teams but still made the final cut. Parise's family, suter's wife was it?

Same with recently BRian Boyle who's wife hails from Tampa. Sometimes money isn't everything.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I agree..now even if we overpay paul stastny by say 7.5-8 million range...how can we convince him to kill all those huge ties I've mentioned?

Recall how Suter and Parise weren't that overpaid compared to other teams but still made the final cut. Parise's family, suter's wife was it?

Same with recently BRian Boyle who's wife hails from Tampa. Sometimes money isn't everything.

Take around and look at the ontario born stars and tell me one of them that chose Toronto because of "ties" and please don't say clarkson :cry:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
With Gleason gone, and FO% being in dire need, Steve Otts faceoff prowess could be very important to Toronto. He had nearly a 60% win rate in st.louis, while a 52% in buffalo.

I could see it happening.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
We need depth. Yeah we got some guys from the Marlies that can fill up 1-3 spots, but we lack bottom 6'ers that can maybe step up in case of injury to the top 2 lines. Vrbata is being mentioned a lot and he would be good at a good price, but not someone you over pay for. Other than him, I say we sign 1-2 of these guys at a 1 year / $1-2.75 million deal sort of like a Raymond type deal. Come in, prove your worth, and cash in next season if you do well.

Centers
Daniel Winnik
Vernon Fiddler
Steve Ott

Wingers
Heatley
Havlat
Penner

Other options I see are maybe trying to trade for Versteeg from Chicago. Cheap contract and can fill a top 6 role in our system.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Versteeg
Komarov-Holland-Clarkson
Frattin-Ott/Fiddler/Winnik-Ashton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00