OT: 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions: Germany

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Unstoppable siege from the Germans, Brazil too stunned to react in any constructive way.

Men against boys out there.

Keep piling it on, Deutschland!!

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It's too easy to lose your focus when you have a lead like this, and whatever edge you might have disappears in the final

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Crazy game.

Can somebody explain to me why Germany's last goal wasn't offsides? When the throw in was made the German player who passed to Schurrle for the goal was way behind the last defender.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think if he's already clear of all other defenders, it's fair game.

EDIT: Nvm, I see what you mean now. Maybe it doesn't count if it's thrown? :dunno:

Either that or the linesman was asleep at the switch.

Last edited:

Brand New Stars

You can be offsides on a throw-in. At least in the video game you can be.

aisforaaron83

May 24, 2008
Crazy game.

Can somebody explain to me why Germany's last goal wasn't offsides? When the throw in was made the German player who passed to Schurrle for the goal was way behind the last defender.

no offsides on a throw-in. The resultant play following can be offsides (if a teammate is then ahead of the ball and the d are not goal side of him), but not the throw. I probably murked it up with the explanation. heh.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
before watching the highlights, i checked out the stats, and aside from the actual score itself, it would appear that brazil actually marginally outplayed germany... brazil had the upperhand in possession (51% vs 49%), shots (18 vs 14), shots on goal (13 vs 12), and corners (7 vs 5).

from watching the highlights, though, germany just sliced through brazil's porous defense much too easily.

so, my question is, did germany really outplay brazil that badly? was it a case of germany capitalizing on its opportunities and brazil not? neuer outplaying cesar?

anyhow, happy for klose (maybe mueller can give the record a run next world cup)... and deutschland, deutschland, uber alles!

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
before watching the highlights, i checked out the stats, and aside from the actual score itself, it would appear that brazil actually marginally outplayed germany... brazil had the upperhand in possession (51% vs 49%), shots (18 vs 14), shots on goal (13 vs 12), and corners (7 vs 5).

from watching the highlights, though, germany just sliced through brazil's porous defense much too easily.

so, my question is, did germany really outplay brazil that badly? was it a case of germany capitalizing on its opportunities and brazil not? neuer outplaying cesar?

anyhow, happy for klose (maybe mueller can give the record a run next world cup)... and deutschland, deutschland, uber alles!

It was like 10 shots, 9 on target vs 0 at one point. Germany had a 4 or 5 goal lead with Brazil at 55% possession. Brazil had a major push in the beginning of the 2nd half, but at the same time Germany took their feet off the gas.

Some studio guy said that the Germans weren't doing anything special either, which was totally spot on. Even before the Mueller goal there were a handful of intercepted passes that would have been good scoring chances for Germany. Once they strung a few together and Brazilian heads went down they were absolutely clinical. Basic pass into space behind the defensively challenged fullbacks, nobody marking, nothing for Caesar to do but get the ball out of the net.

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013
i read that brazil was playing an offensive lineup with 3 strikers... wth? is this true? well... i guess that strategy backfired.

4-3-3 if anything. One striker with Hulk and Bernard on the wings. More like a 4-2-3-1

Maicon - Luiz - Dante - Marcelo

Fernandinho - Gustavo

Hulk - Oscar - Bernard

Fred

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
i read that brazil was playing an offensive lineup with 3 strikers... wth? is this true? well... i guess that strategy backfired.

Same formations for both as before. Hulk and Bernard on the wings behind Fred. Germany with Klose flanked by Mueller and Ozil. The 4-3-3/4-5-1 is a fashionable formation nowadays, the difference is that one side has Lahm and Howedes as fullbacks who can actually defend, the other has Marcello and Maicon who can't.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

In a word, yes.

The game was decided in the first 25 minutes. No amount of statistical analysis can disprove that Germany was the absolute dominant beast in this game. They sat back for large chunks of the game and still popped another two goals in the second half. It was utter domination. Brazil's defense and midfield just looked like they had no idea what was going on.

McManaman mentioned at some point during the game that it looked as if Brazil's defense had never played together before. That is an accurate portrayal of how the game looked. As he also remarked (multiple times) that it looked like amateur hour. Varsity against JV. Whatever analogy you want to use. Brazil was terrible and Germany took advantage.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I just wanted to add that Sami Khedira was amazing in this game. He was creating stuff all over the place before Germany even scored their first goal. I love that guy's style and was really happy he got a goal after setting up his teammates.

Schurrle's second goal was also just a thing of beauty. He went high blocker ;) to seal the beat down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad