OT: 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions: Germany

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I know it's still about 25 days away, but I figured that it'd be ok to have a thread to start talking about it.

I'm fairly surprised that Eddie Johnson was left off the US' preliminary roster.

I'm also going to turn this OP into a WC tables & results page. So yeah

Last edited:

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Because Bettman wanted Sweden gone we got Portugal in the qualifying round and lost (damn you Cristiano Ronaldo). Second time in a row we missed it. :cry: I'm going to cry in a corner now.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
There's something seriously wrong when Sweden doesn't qualify because they're 2nd to Germany and loses to Portugal while Croatia can be second to Belgium and then beats Iceland to qualify...

TestGrave

Nov 30, 2013
Central Florida
There's something seriously wrong when Sweden doesn't qualify because they're 2nd to Germany and loses to Portugal while Croatia can be second to Belgium and then beats Iceland to qualify...

Meh, for some reason I'm not that stoked with Germany going into this Tournament, just a bad feeling :)

Ampersand

Tell me about it. :rant:
Go Argentina!

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
USA USA USA!!!!

I don't follow soccer all that closely but should I be as confused about Clint Dempsey being named captain as I am?

No. He's been the US Captain for what 2 years now? This is not a surprise. What would be a nice surprise is him actually showing up and playing well. That would be good.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
No. He's been the US Captain for what 2 years now? This is not a surprise. What would be a nice surprise is him actually showing up and playing well. That would be good.

Wow, I had no idea Deuce was the captain in international play before. Hopefully he can lay down some sweet beats in the locker room and keep everyone loose.

RZStars

Jul 10, 2013
Not World Cup related but Real Madrid is Playing Roma at the Cotton bowl in July for anyone interested

RZStars

Jul 10, 2013
He was keen on playing. He was pissed he was left off the roster and believed he should have been on it and in contention to start. He did take some time off last year and late 2012 and missed a few of the qualifiers. The legs just aren't what they once were but still...reminds me of the modano situation at the end.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
goetze_06_56067_p880722.jpg

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He was keen on playing. He was pissed he was left off the roster and believed he should have been on it and in contention to start. He did take some time off last year and late 2012 and missed a few of the qualifiers. The legs just aren't what they once were but still...reminds me of the modano situation at the end.

Hearing this completely second hand but it sounded like he thought he should have been an automatic and didn't really do himself many favors with how he played leading up to the decision.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hearing this completely second hand but it sounded like he thought he should have been an automatic and didn't really do himself many favors with how he played leading up to the decision.

You need players who have been there before and who have scored goals in big situations. No one can argue he isn't in the top 23 American footballers, and if we don't make the knockout round Jürgen's head is on a plate

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
You need players who have been there before and who have scored goals in big situations. No one can argue he isn't in the top 23 American footballers, and if we don't make the knockout round Jürgen's head is on a plate

Depends on how things play out and which players come through for him. As far as I know, he's got a pretty solid contract that takes him through the next World Cup. I don't really think the team is lacking all that much in leadership or experience just because Donovan's not going to be there, either. Looks like a good mix of young talent, prime age players with experience, and veteran players who have done it all in Dempsey, Beasley, and Howard.

I'm excited for the tournament and look forward to seeing how some of the younger guys perform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad