2014 Exit Meetings: On to the Off-season

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
oh, i watched it, but was lying down in bed being comfy so i only heard the draft, so i guess because i wanted to hear it

LOL I'm looking for signs as well. He does keep saying that whoever we get at #31-33 is going to be a really good player too, so we can take a winger there.

Of course, this is all premature. We better not get shafted in the lottery.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Flash is healthy. He needs to go as well.

flash is our leading scorer the last 2-3 years or whatever it was, one bad season with a whole lot of unlucky breaks think he's worth buying out?

4.5 mil for a 40-45p scorer is ridiculously cheap

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
They can have a nice ceremony the 1st game next season. And put him in thr Den of Honor. He also wants a job in the org., so give him something, maybe an assistant to McCabe, or a scout. I think and hope Tallon will convince him that if he tries to play another whole season, it will be ugly and he won't go out a hero. I don't think he'll be back. Did anyone else see the CBJ broadcast yesterday? Rimer interviewed Tallon and he mentioned the three guys that will be back next season...Soupy, Kuli, and Guddy. He didn't mention Jovo. I'm hoping there's something to that.

I think Tallon has enough sense to know that Jovanovski can no longer compete at an NHL level.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I really don't see the need in buying out Flash. People on here have been hating on him so much all year and I do understand why, but if you think a string of awful luck doesn't have at least something to do with his season this year than you haven't been watching the games. The guy went from playing with two solid NHLers that clearly found chemistry together to being bounced around a lineup, including rotting away on the bottom two lines for most of the season. He is still very offensively skilled and has ability. Think about the pressure on him this season. He was basically the only proven offensive veteran on the team going into training camp. That's a lot of pressure for a guy who's always been a secondary scoring type of player. It was obvious he was "squeezing the stick to hard" for much of the season. He began second guessing himself and it just led to more problems.

I say we keep Flash. At $4.5 Million we are nowhere near breaking the bank and he only has one more year left. Why move him or waste a buyout on him? The Leafs are paying Clarkson almost a million more to score 1/3 of the points (and don't talk to me about intangibles because Clarkson was awful this year).

I see no reason to move him because his value is low and a buyout is pointless on a player who is in his final year of his contract. If DT decides to move him, then I support it because clearly he didn't see Flash as a integral piece moving forward. But I think he'll keep him. There really isn't a ton of 50-60 point wingers out there in free agency, especially ones that will sign for less than $5 Million.

Also, I like hearing this from Tallon. Dale is a pretty straight shooter and usually says what's going to happen. Last year before July 1st, he said we'd be going young (which was a nice way of seeing his hands were tied) but it was the truth. We didn't expect significant signings, and well, we didn't get them. If Dale is talking about who he needs to pickup and that he's actively looking for scoring wingers, that is a great sign.

We don't need anymore centers, we need help on the wing and on defense. With DT planning to move a player or two to the wing (I think Pirri is just such a natural fit at wing, or Trocheck too because of his size/speed), and bringing in defense, it's clear he knows what this team needs because we have all be singing that song since the first week of the season.

I hope we can start this off-season correctly and pickup that future Shea Weber stud in Ekblad, and then move onto the draft and start building a contender.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
There's a surprise. That's why it's so easy not to trust harvey.

What're your thoughts on Ekblad?

Huge defenseman(6'4", 220) that can skate. Great agility for his size, great with the puck. He has an elephant gun of a slapshot, he also has a deadly and accurate wrist shot. He won't lead the rush most of the time, but he can skate with the puck when he has to and his long reach is an asset. Very smart on the PP. He's great in his own end, always makes the right play, great first pass. Always matched up against the opposition's top forwards.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I agree, you don't buy out Flash. You buy out guys that are basically useless. Flash just had the worst luck this year. Tough break. So basically a totally snake-bitten Flash can still get you around 25-30 points.

He'll be a part of the secondary scoring that we'll need next season.

-ghoste

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
To everyone that watched the whole DT interview... What are your impressions? Seems to me like he was genuine, he was mad at the way the team preformed and I don't think he wants guys like Jovo to come back. Second part... Is the draft order event on Tuesday?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Is anyone worried we won't suck hard enough next year to have a shot at drafting Connor McDavid at the BB&T Center in 2015?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
To everyone that watched the whole DT interview... What are your impressions? Seems to me like he was genuine, he was mad at the way the team preformed and I don't think he wants guys like Jovo to come back. Second part... Is the draft order event on Tuesday?

I don't think he means Jovo at all. He even complemented him on how he came back, and he's called him a warrior. It's not his fault he's old and his level of play is deteriorating. He said he looked like the old Eddy at times. I think he primarily means Flash and Kopecky.

Tuesday at 8. Travis Viola will be our rep.

Is anyone worried we won't suck hard enough next year to have a shot at drafting Connor McDavid at the BB&T Center in 2015?

Why would you want to suck next season? Haven't we had enough of sucking? Plus they are thinking of making the top 5 picks all up for grabs starting next year anyway. So we could end up finishing last and not even have a top 5 pick.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Yes, Tuesday at 8pm. I think Tallon knows if he doesn't get this team competitive, he will be looking for a new job. I feel Tallon has one of the best opportunities to look like a genius with this franchise. He's using the exact same model he did in Chicago and now with the $30million to spend with a "open wallet" to compliment the youth, Dale can come out looking like a stud if were consistent playoff performers. I like the guy a lot but even I'm tired of excuses.

You not tired of sucking? I'd trade the 2015 1st if need be, I don't want to pick in the top 5 for the next decade if possible.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I don't think he means Jovo at all. He even complemented him on how he came back, and he's called him a warrior. It's not his fault he's old and his level of play is deteriorating. He said he looked like the old Eddy at times. I think he primarily means Flash and Kopecky.

Tuesday at 8. Travis Viola will be our rep.

Why would you want to suck next season? Haven't we had enough of sucking? Plus they are thinking of making the top 5 picks all up for grabs starting next year anyway. So we could end up finishing last and not even have a top 5 pick.

Yes, but I'd gladly sacrifice another year to acquire a player that many scouts label as a franchise player or a generational player. "Better than Crosby" was the quote regarding McDavid floating around Canada for the past few years. Are we prepared to lose out on a guy who projects to be worth more than and better than Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad +anyone else we bring in to this organization?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes, but I'd gladly sacrifice another year to acquire a player that many scouts label as a franchise player or a generational player. "Better than Crosby" was the quote regarding McDavid floating around Canada for the past few years. Are we prepared to lose out on a guy who projects to be worth more than and better than Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad +anyone else we bring in to this organization?

He's not better than Crosby, whoever said that is off their rocker. He might not even be better than Eichel. He's a generational talent, MAYBE as good as Crosby one day.

And like I said there's no way we can guarantee we get the #1 pick either. I think Buffalo is going to finish last again. It's gonna be pretty hard to beat them. Plus there's the lottery, and we know all about that. And with Tallon given the green light to spend 30M in the summer, there's just no way we'll end up last in the league.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yes, Tuesday at 8pm. I think Tallon knows if he doesn't get this team competitive, he will be looking for a new job. I feel Tallon has one of the best opportunities to look like a genius with this franchise. He's using the exact same model he did in Chicago and now with the $30million to spend with a "open wallet" to compliment the youth, Dale can come out looking like a stud if were consistent playoff performers. I like the guy a lot but even I'm tired of excuses.

You not tired of sucking? I'd trade the 2015 1st if need be, I don't want to pick in the top 5 for the next decade if possible.
I wouldn't go that far, but yes I would hate to suck next season.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Huge defenseman(6'4", 220) that can skate. Great agility for his size, great with the puck. He has an elephant gun of a slapshot, he also has a deadly and accurate wrist shot. He won't lead the rush most of the time, but he can skate with the puck when he has to and his long reach is an asset. Very smart on the PP. He's great in his own end, always makes the right play, great first pass. Always matched up against the opposition's top forwards.

Thanks buddy, sounds like someone we need, mean streak?

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
@hfialkov: Tallon said he will add two experienced NHL defensemen at the draft. #FlaPanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon said he’d like to add 5 veterans this summer with sniper as No.1 want. #flapanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon expects to tender qualifying offers to his RFAs: Kuli, Hayes, Pirri, Guddy, Olsen #flapanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon said he’ll have $30 million to spend this summer. #flapanthers

Oh my. I'm excited.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Not even 2:00 in to the Dale presser and he already admitted that most of our "kids" aren't ready to be in the lineup even thought they are and we "forcefed them into the lineup". Wow. Things just keep getting better and better.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Flash is healthy. He needs to go as well.

Flash just had the worst season of his career. He's in a contract year. Either he #1. Returns to his good form from his previous 5 years (when healthy) or he #2. continues to play bad and is traded at the deadline for a middle round pick. Way too much value to buyout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad