2014 Exit Meetings: On to the Off-season

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
They can have a nice ceremony the 1st game next season. And put him in thr Den of Honor. He also wants a job in the org., so give him something, maybe an assistant to McCabe, or a scout. I think and hope Tallon will convince him that if he tries to play another whole season, it will be ugly and he won't go out a hero. I don't think he'll be back. Did anyone else see the CBJ broadcast yesterday? Rimer interviewed Tallon and he mentioned the three guys that will be back next season...Soupy, Kuli, and Guddy. He didn't mention Jovo. I'm hoping there's something to that.

i was just about to post this

let him play 2-3-4 games, our home opener, and the phx/vancouver away games, so their fanbase also can thank him, if they feel like it

he MUST be recognized for what he's done to this franchise, he's one of the last '96 heroes, he was a big part of that run, he was what brought people to the games

we cant let him have the laus treatment. just give him a nice job in the office, apparently he's good with the kids - let him work with that

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
They can have a nice ceremony the 1st game next season. And put him in thr Den of Honor. He also wants a job in the org., so give him something, maybe an assistant to McCabe, or a scout. I think and hope Tallon will convince him that if he tries to play another whole season, it will be ugly and he won't go out a hero. I don't think he'll be back. Did anyone else see the CBJ broadcast yesterday? Rimer interviewed Tallon and he mentioned the three guys that will be back next season...Soupy, Kuli, and Guddy. He didn't mention Jovo. I'm hoping there's something to that.

Agree there. If we CBO him and retires in FA it will be a shame. He is one of the original guys, the org should treat him right.

Looking like Horacheck will be gone and Skrewy will return to development. Though I hope we keep Madden in the org too. He's done a lot of positives for our kids and seems enthusiastic in his role. IMO we should keep him in a role with SA, maybe as a coach. Though he could replace Weber in SA.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
Here's how that looks to me...

Returning for sure:
Campbell
Gudbranson
Kulikov

Question marks:
Gilbert
Jovanovski (Please compliance buyout him)

Potential to SA/AHL:
Olsen
Robak
Petrovic

This does leave about half the defense available, at worst 2 spots will be open because I can't see those young guys making the team. No offense to Olsen, but I don't think he proved he's ready to make this team out of camp yet. Robak and Petro certainly not.

The Panthers really need to just compliance buyout the final year of Jovo's contract. I mean you have 2 of these still to use, just do it. Put him in a front office position or something and be done with it or like fan relations.

I have confidence that Tallon will bring in strong pieces. He always manages to miss on one or two but generally, he hits the mark. Obviously some pieces that were good at first have faltered of late, but what he got at the time wasn't a bad move.

Versteeg, Flash, Bergy, Kopecky, Campbell, Upshall, Theo, all of these moves (except Jovo which we all knew at the time was questionable) were shrewd moves at the time and can't deny they worked out their first season. Maybe half of them have been good since then but that is a combination of injuries and coaching. In general I think he knows what he's doing and at first blush, he makes the right call. You can't hit them all but there's no doubt to me Tallon is one of the smartest GMs we've had in a LONG time.

Other than bringing in Gilbert on a tryout at camp the last big FA D that Tallon landed was Kuba. I hope he does better this time around.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
So much mixed feelings about Jovo, he's one of my all time favorite panthers, i couldnt watch much Panthers back when he played (swedish tv broadcast like 5 NHL games/week back then (so it was just like 5 games/season), but he was great in the ea games and became a personal favorite (together with andrei lomakin even thou he sucked irl) he also gave us Bure or was a part of that trade. But its clear he's not what he once was so its time to part ways on the ice, but i would love to see him as a part of the organisation, and i would actually love to see them retire #55, he was a great guy for this franchise and we should honour him.

About the rest am I the only one that reacted at this?
@hfialkov: Tallon said he will add two experienced NHL defensemen at the draft. #FlaPanthers

Is that a typo or does he plan to trade our first?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So much mixed feelings about Jovo, he's one of my all time favorite panthers, i couldnt watch much Panthers back when he played (swedish tv broadcast like 5 NHL games/week back then (so it was just like 5 games/season), but he was great in the ea games and became a personal favorite (together with andrei lomakin even thou he sucked irl) he also gave us Bure or was a part of that trade. But its clear he's not what he once was so its time to part ways on the ice, but i would love to see him as a part of the organisation, and i would actually love to see them retire #55, he was a great guy for this franchise and we should honour him.

About the rest am I the only one that reacted at this?
@hfialkov: Tallon said he will add two experienced NHL defensemen at the draft. #FlaPanthers

Is that a typo or does he plan to trade our first?

Its Fialkov.

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards 1h

#FlaPanthers GM Dale Tallon looking for five FAs this summer including two defensemen. Disappointed with most vets this year.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
You can find elite goalies in later rounds and they always need several years to develop. Not a fan using high draft picks on them.

Exactly
Lundqvist: 2000 Round 7, #205 Overall
Quick: 2005 Round 3, #72 Overall
Lu: 1997 Round 1, #4 Overall
Raask: 2005 Round 1, #21 Overall
Hiller: Undrafted
Miller: 1999 Round 5, #138 Overall
Bobrovski: Undrafted
Varlamov: 2006, Round 1, #23 Overall
Price: 2005, Round 1, #5 Overall

So we have elite goalies drafted in the first round, we have them drafted in the 7th round and we have undrafted guys. So yeah I think i would rather use the 33rd overall for a winger or something, and maybe try to get a goalie in 3rd or 4th.

RCGP

Go Panthers
Jul 3, 2002
Calgary Alberta
Visit site
We'll have to trade up if we want Demko. Sadly, I don't think Tallon is looking for a goalie that high though. He seems to be placing a lot of emphasis on bringing in scoring wingers now. 4th round is probably the highest we'll take a goalie.(We don't have a 3rd)

I'm still against drafting goalies in the first couple rounds. If we just draft one in the mid rounds every year it should work itself out by the time Luongo is done.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
If he's looking to pick up 2 defensemen, I have no problem with Hal Gilling Jovo. Give him the game at Vancouver, the final game of the season, or any game where we have 2 guys hurt or the garbage games at the end of the season if we're out.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
What else do you expect him to do when he wasnt allowed to spend?

What does that have to do with my comment that I hope he does better selecting better FA D than Kuba?

He spent $4 million on Kuba to replace Garrision. Then had to buy him out. That waste of money is probably why the ownership put the freeze on cash last summer.

So to repeat myself I hope he does a better job selecting his FA D this summer than he did picking up Kuba.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards 1h

#FlaPanthers GM Dale Tallon looking for five FAs this summer including two defensemen. Disappointed with most vets this year.

To make room for those 5 FA's he's going to have to create room. So he either has to find a trading partner to take some of those Vets that he's disappointed in or buy them out. Or some of those promising young guys are traded or head back to SA.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
What does that have to do with my comment that I hope he does better selecting better FA D than Kuba?

He spent $4 million on Kuba to replace Garrision. Then had to buy him out. That waste of money is probably why the ownership put the freeze on cash last summer.

So to repeat myself I hope he does a better job selecting his FA D this summer than he did picking up Kuba.
It's not like Tallon really had much of a choice. The two other similar players that signed almost identical deals were Salo and Rozsival.

Other players wanted too much term and/or money that ownership didn't want.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm still against drafting goalies in the first couple rounds. If we just draft one in the mid rounds every year it should work itself out by the time Luongo is done.

Possibly. We'll see, because I don't think think Tallon and Luce like taking goalies high, or much at all really. They've demonstrated that.

Fortunately, this is a really strong goalie class and we should still be able to pick up a good one in the 4th-5th.

To make room for those 5 FA's he's going to have to create room. So he either has to find a trading partner to take some of those Vets that he's disappointed in or buy them out. Or some of those promising young guys are traded or head back to SA.

From his press conference, he seems very open to using those compliance buyouts now.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
tallon did say that he's going to add two defensemen at the draft

probably ekblad+

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Tallon mentioned we need a big shot from the point may be a hint at Ekblad. On the other hand he didn't mention him at all when they were talking about the top players at the draft. He also seems to really love Mckenzie Weeger says he is the future powerplay quarterback for us.

At the same time, he wasn't asked about Ekblad. He was only asked about Draisaitl, Reinhart, and Bennett, and only talked about those guys. The press just seems to think we're going to draft a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad