2014 Exit Meetings: On to the Off-season

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Reassigned:

@GeorgeRichards: #FlaPanthers send Drew Shore, Vincent Trocheck and Quinton Howden back to AHL San Antonio. Colby Robak on waivers to go to SA

Jovo:
@GeorgeRichards: #FlaPanthers D Ed Jovanovski says he wants to play next year, knows team may have other plans. Says Ryan Smyth went out "the right way.''

@GeorgeRichards: #FlaPanthers Ed Jovanovski says he and GM Dale Tallon will "sit down for dinner" and talk about future. Jovo has one contract year left

@hfialkov: Jovo "I want to play, can I, is different situation well see how it goes #FlaPanthers

Gilbert:

@hfialkov: Tom Gilbert UFA: "It's been a good feeling of how they’ve assessed me throughout the year whether something happens or not #flapanthers

@hfialkov: "It's been great here hopefully I can continue that,'' Gilbert said hernia is healing fine #FlaPanthers

Skrewy:

@hfialkov: Asst, coach Brian Skrudland has another year on contract but not sure if he'll be back in same position if Horachek dont return #flapanthers

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hopefully DT & Jovo are having chinese and the fortune cookie says "retire you bum".

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
if he retires would it count against the cap, i'm not sure on the rules of this. if not it would be a nice chunk of change to offer up for someone who can actually move there legs.
FAQ

What's a 35-plus contract

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract or in the event of a buyout.

The league confirmed to CapGeek.com in March 2013 that the over-35 rule "doesn't apply either in the case of regular buyouts or in the case of compliance buyouts," meaning teams can use buyouts to reduce or eliminate the cap hit. Prior to the league's clarification, CapGeek.com had operated with inaccurate information in estimating its cap totals. (See also: How do buyouts work?)

CBA reference: Section 50.5 (d-i-B-5) (P. 203)
http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-a-35-plus-contract

Regardless, there's more than enough capspace even if it does count. If he's bought out, the caphit would be:

2014-15: $1,458,333
2015-16: $1,333,333

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=1119

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'm not interested in keeping some decrepit, old defensemen with terrible decision making (which is the worst, his strength is supposed to be his decision making at his age, he's a train wreck) on our roster, just so we can help him line his pockets. Some captain.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'm starting to think that a buyout is more likely than retirement, at least based on Jovo's comments. He clearly still wants to play, but will it be here?

Jovo could also get one final run at the cup if he signed with a contender for cheap.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'm starting to think that a buyout is more likely than retirement, at least based on Jovo's comments. He clearly still wants to play, but will it be here?

Jovo could also get one final run at the cup if he signed with a contender for cheap.
Jovo couldn't make a contenders roster. lolololololololololol

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I think the only way Jovo's contract wouldn't count against the cap is if they used the amnesty clause on him from the last CBA. But that would require paying him his salary.

Doubt the panthers are willing to pay Jovo to retire early.

Many will disagree with me, but he deserves a real send off like Ryan Smyth just got last night.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Jovo couldn't make a contenders roster. lolololololololololol
As a bottom pairing / 7th d-man, why not. Experience speaks a lot to contenders.

When guys like Sean O'Donnell and Hal Gill can find work, surely Jovo can too. A different story is Jovo willing to accept a role like that with a small paycheck.

Many will disagree with me, but he deserves a real send off like Ryan Smyth just got last night.
He had his chance last night, and ruined it with a completely unnecessary retaliation major penalty.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
I think the only way Jovo's contract wouldn't count against the cap is if they used the amnesty clause on him from the last CBA. But that would require paying him his salary.

Doubt the panthers are willing to pay Jovo to retire early.

Yes, but he is useless. He scores own goals. I love him but its his time to go. Maybe have a nice retirement thing on the first game next season?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Was actually thinking they'd give him the Hal Gill treatment next year (Gill is the Flyers 7th/8th dman, only played a couple of games when main guys were hurt, and he's playing the last couple as his "farewell".)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
"I want to play, can I, is different situation well see how it goes"

At least he's acknowledging he's terrible now. With his Smyth comments, I wonder if the fact that his last game ended so poorly is giving him added incentive to come back?

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
@hfialkov: Tallon said he will add two experienced NHL defensemen at the draft. #FlaPanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon said he’d like to add 5 veterans this summer with sniper as No.1 want. #flapanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon expects to tender qualifying offers to his RFAs: Kuli, Hayes, Pirri, Guddy, Olsen #flapanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon said he’ll have $30 million to spend this summer. #flapanthers

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
@hfialkov: Tallon said he will add two experienced NHL defensemen at the draft. #FlaPanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon said he’d like to add 5 veterans this summer with sniper as No.1 want. #flapanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon expects to tender qualifying offers to his RFAs: Kuli, Hayes, Pirri, Guddy, Olsen #flapanthers

@hfialkov: Tallon said he’ll have $30 million to spend this summer. #flapanthers

Love hearing that. Hopefully he gets what he wants

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
@hfialkov: Tallon believes he’ll get two really good players in first 35 picks of draft #FlaPanthers

Hopefully Ekblad and Demko.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Sooo, I guess he'll be getting rid of 3/4 veterans we have now. Which is the best possible news.

Erick*

Is there a video for this? Because it's Fialkov tweeting it, I don't believe it. If this comes true, next year should be exciting.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

He and Tallon will come to an agreement like Smyth and MacT did. He doesn't want to go out a disgrace. He even mentioned Smyth going out the right way. Tallon doesn't want him back, and if he's a good captain which I believe he is then he'll do what's best for the team.

What contender would want Jovo? He'd be like 10th on their depth chart.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
As far as Jovo goes we need to send him off right. He is still a huge part of the history of the team regardless of how he plays right now. I'm not saying we should retire his number but we shouldn't have him just fade out like Laus.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
@hfialkov: Tallon believes he’ll get two really good players in first 35 picks of draft #FlaPanthers

Hopefully Ekblad and Demko.

We'll have to trade up if we want Demko. Sadly, I don't think Tallon is looking for a goalie that high though. He seems to be placing a lot of emphasis on bringing in scoring wingers now. 4th round is probably the highest we'll take a goalie.(We don't have a 3rd)

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Sooo, I guess he'll be getting rid of 3/4 veterans we have now. Which is the best possible news.

Here's how that looks to me...

Returning for sure:
Campbell
Gudbranson
Kulikov

Question marks:
Gilbert
Jovanovski (Please compliance buyout him)

Potential to SA/AHL:
Olsen
Robak
Petrovic

This does leave about half the defense available, at worst 2 spots will be open because I can't see those young guys making the team. No offense to Olsen, but I don't think he proved he's ready to make this team out of camp yet. Robak and Petro certainly not.

The Panthers really need to just compliance buyout the final year of Jovo's contract. I mean you have 2 of these still to use, just do it. Put him in a front office position or something and be done with it or like fan relations.

I have confidence that Tallon will bring in strong pieces. He always manages to miss on one or two but generally, he hits the mark. Obviously some pieces that were good at first have faltered of late, but what he got at the time wasn't a bad move.

Versteeg, Flash, Bergy, Kopecky, Campbell, Upshall, Theo, all of these moves (except Jovo which we all knew at the time was questionable) were shrewd moves at the time and can't deny they worked out their first season. Maybe half of them have been good since then but that is a combination of injuries and coaching. In general I think he knows what he's doing and at first blush, he makes the right call. You can't hit them all but there's no doubt to me Tallon is one of the smartest GMs we've had in a LONG time.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
As far as Jovo goes we need to send him off right. He is still a huge part of the history of the team regardless of how he plays right now. I'm not saying we should retire his number but we shouldn't have him just fade out like Laus.

They can have a nice ceremony the 1st game next season. And put him in thr Den of Honor. He also wants a job in the org., so give him something, maybe an assistant to McCabe, or a scout. I think and hope Tallon will convince him that if he tries to play another whole season, it will be ugly and he won't go out a hero. I don't think he'll be back. Did anyone else see the CBJ broadcast yesterday? Rimer interviewed Tallon and he mentioned the three guys that will be back next season...Soupy, Kuli, and Guddy. He didn't mention Jovo. I'm hoping there's something to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad