Prospect Info: 2014 Draft - Which Sam do you prefer: Reinhart vs. Bennett

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Pat Kane's style isn't built for the playoffs, right?

Some of the best recent playoff performances have come from players who are completely the opposite of the stereotypes. These arguments need to die.

Kane's style is built for the playoffs. He's fast, shifty, tenacious and skilled. Traits which Bennett shares.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I was trying to help you realize that Bennett has some pretty elite skills. But, I'm not sure why I bother.

It'll be quite the shock for you if Bennett goes 1st.

I'm not sure why you bother either. I've watched him play a number of times and it's my opinion.

He's the 4th best player in the draft, so yeah, it would be a shock to me.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
About Bennett, when is a high PiM ever been a good thing? Even if the majority were fighting majors and not selfish minors, why would you want your prized prospect off the ice for 5 mins straight or risk injury?

Look at guys like RoR or Patrice Bergeron they are tenacious in their own end and the oppositions yet they are able to keep their PIMs ridiculously low. I think a high PIM should be a negative not something to use to convince someone that he should be our pick.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
You need to see junior players play live to actually have a solid understanding of how they play. I got to see Ekblad, Bennett and a bunch of others but I really wish I could have seen Draisaitl and Reinhart play so I can compare them better. I watched Reinhart alot this year on sportsnet, U18s, U20s ect..but Draisaitl was really tough to get a read on because its definitely not worth the money for me to pay for junior feeds in alot of arenas when I can take in a game 5 minutes from my house for about the same price.

I was apart of the crew that though there was no way that Bennett could challenge Reinhart until seeing him live, TV doesn't do him justice because he does so much that goes unnoticed including how powerful his stride is. I wouldn't disagree with stokes in saying he is a jack of all trades master of none, but he is damn good at those trades. He does everything at a high end level though. But I personally think it's pretty tough to top his hockey sense. But maybe if I saw Reinhart live I would be even higher on him, it's tough when you've seen one of the players live and not the other, It probably incorporates some bias.

With scouts actually seeing these players live I would have to believe it's much easier to rank the top players, you get so much more out of a live viewing. Although I would love if Beyond Blue and Gold did a segment on Sam vs Sam because I would have to believe that it would be epic to watch with some scouts going through a wall for one or the other. But they obviously wouldn't do that and if they did they would probably make it look like a unanimous decision.

So I ask, who here has actually seen these players play? And who is just basing off highlights and what they read? Has anyone seen Reinhart play live? If so I would be interested in hearing about it.

FYI next year is going to be pretty sweet for watching top prospects, will be going to the US top prospects (Eichel, White, Hanifin ect...) game along with potentially the BMO Top Prospects game depending on who is hosting in the OHL along with Niagara getting a new arena and the OHL having a few potential very high picks.

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm very afraid of getting it wrong. That's what consumes my mind when I tackle this conversation.

Whomever we choose, if he ends up being the poorer choice of the two, I will be very emotionally scarred.

:(

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I too am just unable to decide from the Sams or Ekblad. So much depends on the team around you, the coach's style and his demands from the players, the level of competition, private issues which never hit the media, the age at which you had a growth spurt-or not-and the intangibles of whether you have a non stop motor, and are you now over achieving due to your size, experience in the league, teammates, constant effort...is there more of a ceiling? That is stuff that 40-50 years ago I was consumed by but now I do not get to the college games, the junior games--even junior B--it is basically tv-with a gazillion tv subscriptions--just not the same. No one is right all the time--just do not strike out with your top pick and hit a fair share of the others and I will be happy.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
FYI next year is going to be pretty sweet for watching top prospects, will be going to the US top prospects (Eichel, White, Hanifin ect...) game along with potentially the BMO Top Prospects game depending on who is hosting in the OHL along with Niagara getting a new arena and the OHL having a few potential very high picks.

I'm looking forward to it too.

I'll catch a handful of 67's games in the revamped arena. If we pick Bennett, I'll definitely get to a couple games in Kingston. Also the Subway Super Series is in PtBo and Kingston so if I'm home that week I'll catch one of those, have a bender planned for Ptbo next year anyways so it'd be perfect.

The biggy would be hitting up a Canada WJC game in Toronto or Montreal. Can/US on NYE would be epic with McDavid/Eichel in full force.

I just hope I'm home for some of these haha, I'm too stoked.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Maybe Jay McKee is Bennett's coach next season in Kingston?

http://cscilley.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/fresh-from-winning-the-allan-cup-jay-mckee-interested-in-frontenacs-coaching-job/

Yes, Jay McKee was saying Tuesday morning, he did hear that the Kingston Frontenacs were looking for a new coach.

“I actually sent Doug a text earlier this morning,” McKee said of his one-time Buffalo Sabres teammate, Doug Gilmour, who is now the general manager of his hometown Ontario Hockey League team. “I’d like to have a good talk with him.”

Gilmour, who sacked Frontenacs coach Todd Gill Monday, told a television interviewer that he wasn’t necessarily interested in following the age-old tradition of recycling someone else’s failed coach. He would, by implication, entertain the notion of hiring a fresh face.

McKee is intrigued by the possibility.

“No question, (coaching) is what I want to do,” he said. “I would like to stick in the Buffalo area, with my kids being here, but Kingston is my home town and I have a lot of friends back there.

“I will definitely talk to Doug and have a good discussion about (the Kingston job). That’s something I would very highly consider doing.”

SabreDr

Sep 4, 2006
Buffalo
I want Bennett. When was the last time the Sabres had a top line center or even a forward with talent and grit? We've had our fill of passive, pass first, shoot when I have to forwards and Reinhart would fit the typical Darcy mold we are moving away from. Bennett has more speed, first step, a quick release, is smart, was voted the OHL's 2nd best D forward in only his 2nd year in juniors. He is 7 months younger than Reinhart. All of those reasons are why I want Bennett and have for months.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
I can see Bennett being a better NHL playoff player than Rinehart, just because his will. Florida is rumored to be shopping the #1 pick. Would be sick to move up with all these access picks we have and grab both Sams, Ekblad best player in draft, but offense is always needed in this league and we have so many d prospects.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Seriously, IMO I think there is no way we can go wrong.

If they Are stuck between Ekblad or Bennett:
They Draft Ekblad they get: A defenseman that further cements the D-Corp as potentially being the best in the league
They Draft Bennett they get: A gritty, up to this point,potentially #1 Center, who PLAYS BIG, with good to great all around skill and IQ player which we currently lack of.

If they Are stuck between Ekblad or Reinhart:
They Draft Reinhart they get: A Potentially #1 Center who has good to great all around skill who is technically sound in how he plays the game in all three zones

The only pick I won't like is if we grab LD as I feel he has everything both Sams have but the skating quality, which most if not all elite/good players in the league have. His "bigger" size, in my opinion, doesn't overcome the skating issue in my eyes. He's a good player, but I think for a team Murray wants to build, you need to have the ability to skate along with the mentality to "play big".

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Seriously, IMO I think there is no way we can go wrong.

If they Are stuck between Ekblad or Bennett:
They Draft Ekblad they get: A defenseman that further cements the D-Corp as potentially being the best in the league
They Draft Bennett they get: A gritty, up to this point,potentially #1 Center, who PLAYS BIG, with good to great all around skill and IQ player which we currently lack of.

If they Are stuck between Ekblad or Reinhart:
They Draft Reinhart they get: A Potentially #1 Center who has good to great all around skill who is technically sound in how he plays the game in all three zones

The only pick I won't like is if we grab LD as I feel he has everything both Sams have but the skating quality, which most if not all elite/good players in the league have. His "bigger" size, in my opinion, doesn't overcome the skating issue in my eyes. He's a good player, but I think for a team Murray wants to build, you need to have the ability to skate along with the mentality to "play big".

I don't think LD is in play at two. If we wanted to go that route, we could trade down to four or five, especially if FLA goes with a Sam and someone is enamored with Ekblad.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't think LD is in play at two. If we wanted to go that route, we could trade down to four or five, especially if FLA goes with a Sam and someone is enamored with Ekblad.

I don't think he's in play either, but as Stokes has said anything can happen. I know people discredit anything Stokes says on here because of what he says, but he has a point that ANYTHING can happen. What if Murray sees LD as a Getzlaf lite kind of player, considering where Getlaf came from and where he is now, he may see he can get another player like him.

Do I think this is true? No. But it's possible.

Last edited:

Pop147258

Apr 28, 2014
I as a saber fan love detroits farm I also think some of there players are underrated how about this trade to move back
To buffalo: justin Abdelkader, xaivior outlett, teemu puilkinan, 3rd round, and 1st round
To detroit: 3rd overall

ZeroPT*

I as a Sabre fan love detroits farm I also think some of there players are underrated how about this trade to move back
To buffalo: justin Abdelkader, xaivior outlett, teemu puilkinan, 3rd round, and 1st round

If that trade happened I would turn in my Sabres fan card and probably hang myself

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I as a Sabre fan love detroits farm I also think some of there players are underrated how about this trade to move back
To detroit: 2rd overall

Making a name for yourself early round these parts I see. If a deal is being made to move the 2nd overall to Detroit at least ask for Nyquist, that way people wouldn't think you were special and talk about hanging themselves.

Then I could properly criticize the bad idea, this is beyond criticize worthy and we need to improve the terms just to get it to a bad deal.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
We already have those types of players in our farm system; so it benefits us how?

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Ok, for the first time, I'm starting to waiver on the my desire for Reinhart. Bennett has a higher upside if he reaches his full potential, where as Reinhart is safer more consistent.

Glad I don't have to make the decision but I honestly think the Sabres are going to pick Draisaitl. Remember Murray said he had a better chance of getting the player he wanted than winning the lottery.

Ps: typing on an iPad sucks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad