Prospect Info: 2014 Draft - Which Sam do you prefer: Reinhart vs. Bennett

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Pat Kane's style isn't built for the playoffs, right?

Some of the best recent playoff performances have come from players who are completely the opposite of the stereotypes. These arguments need to die.

Please explain, I have no idea what you are trying to establish here...

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

That Patrick Kane is small and weak and will get tossed around in the playoffs since everyone is so much bigger and more physical and he would get easily knocked off the puck. Some of the same things are said of Drouin. But I won't be surprised to see Drouin put up 70 pts next season playing with Stammer.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He's referencing the previous debate where whiplash compared the PIMs of Reinhart and Bennet to Turgeon and Shanahan. Then listed their playoff accomplishments. He's bringing up Kane as a counterargument.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
He's referencing the previous debate where whiplash compared the PIMs of Reinhart and Bennet to Turgeon and Shanahan. Then listed their playoff accomplishments. He's bringing up Kane as a counterargument.

He forgot to mention Shanahan playing on a stacked team. Turgeon could of had 2 cups to. He came to the Habs 2 years after they won the cup and came to the Stars 2 years after they won there cup. Bad timing Pierre! :laugh:

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
This whole "Bennett is so tough and gritty, just look at his penalty minutes" train is going off the tracks.

A lot of Bennett's penalty minutes this year were from retaliatory penalties in which he was very undisciplined.

Bennett is a great prospect with a lot of great tools but continuing to push his penalty minutes as an example of what kind of playoff performer he will be is misguided.

The Sabres will be in great shape if they get either Sam.

"Bennett has a lot of what the the other two centermen have, and he’s tenacious. He’s a bulldog. He’s on you. He will hit you and he will spear you and he will score on you, he will do what it takes to win."

That was a direct quote from Tim Murray. I'm very sorry, I took him at his word that Bennett was a tough player to play against and words like tenacious and bulldog mean a lot in playoff hockey. I'm glad you cleared it up that Murray was lying to us.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Shanahan and Bennett aren't remotely similar players. I'm sure you could make endless comparisons of numbers between sets of players and get as many cases where the player matching Reinhart's numbers turned out better than the player matching Bennett's numbers. Not very meaningful to me. Turgeon was butter soft, Reinhart isn't. Shanahan had more size relative to his peers than Bennett is going to.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005

He's making Kane out to be a Straw Man. He's really completely irrelevant.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Shanahan and Bennett aren't remotely similar players. I'm sure you could make endless comparisons of numbers between sets of players and get as many cases where the player matching Reinhart's numbers turned out better than the player matching Bennett's numbers. Not very meaningful to me. Turgeon was butter soft, Reinhart isn't. Shanahan had more size relative to his peers than Bennett is going to.

I wasn't even trying to say they were all remotely similar players.

This whole thing came about because I read an article a week ago about how similar the Blues playoffs were this year and last year. Game 1 Steen score OT winner. Game 2 Jackman scores GW. Game 3 Blues get shutout. Game 4 Blues lose 4-3. Game 5 Blues lose 3-2 in OT. I thought that was a strange coincidence for the Blues to be in again.

Then I was looking at Bennett's numbers, and came across Shanhan's numbers and thought they were remarkably similar. Not just PIMs but GP, G, A, and PTS too. Then I noticed the similarity in Reinharts and Turgeon's PIMs. I thought how strange that is so many similarities in the numbers since the last time the Sabres finished dead last. It made me think of history repeating itself like St. Louis.

I even went out of my way to say I wasn't trying to say Reinhart is Turgeon and Bennett is Shanhan, yet people still took it however they want and ran with it, and I get pulled into pointless arguments over if physical hockey even matters to playoff success or some dumb sarcasm about how we should have picked Reggie Leach.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
"Bennett has a lot of what the the other two centermen have, and he’s tenacious. He’s a bulldog. He’s on you. He will hit you and he will spear you and he will score on you, he will do what it takes to win."

That was a direct quote from Tim Murray. I'm very sorry, I took him at his word that Bennett was a tough player to play against and words like tenacious and bulldog mean a lot in playoff hockey. I'm glad you cleared it up that Murray was lying to us.

Wow, you are some kind of arrogant.

Everything Murray said is true. It has nothing to do with how many penalty minutes he had. Branding Bennett a playoff superstar because he wants to win is a little ridiculous. I guess Reinhart wanted to win more since he had a better playoffs then Bennett.

Both are great players but branding one a better playoff performer because he will "stick you" when the numbers show he hasn't been a better playoff performer just doesn't make sense.

ZeroPT*

I dont think they mean he'll be a better playoff performer, but more so that his game will transition well to the NHL playoffs, and that he can contribute in other ways such as physicality and playing with am edge which Reinhart doesn't.

Not that I agree, just my 2 cents..

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Everything Murray said is true. It has nothing to do with how many penalty minutes he had. Branding Bennett a playoff superstar because he wants to win is a little ridiculous. I guess Reinhart wanted to win more since he had a better playoffs then Bennett.

Both are great players but branding one a better playoff performer because he will "stick you" when the numbers show he hasn't been a better playoff performer just doesn't make sense.

Dude, that's exactly the point! I put the Murray quote up there because I'm trying to tell you I like Bennett based on the scouting reports and not PIM numbers, and here you are chastising me for going solely by PIMs, which is exactly what I'm not doing. The only people that keep repeating the significance of PIMs is everyone else. It's like they're all trying to continue some previous discussion they had somewhere else and attributing it to me. Seriously, how much dumber can this possibly get?

I never branded Bennett a playoff superstar. Or said that he's better than Reinhart. That was everyone else who wanted to get whatever they wanted out of a list of facts. I said I'd rather have a guy stick you in the kiwis. That's my preference. That doesn't mean he's going to be a better performer. That just means it's the type of player I enjoy watching more.

I like Pepsi better than Coke, anyone care to tell me how wrong that opinion is too?

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I like Pepsi better than Coke, anyone care to tell me how wrong that opinion is too?

If this is actually true, I can't possibly waste any more of my time debating with you.

...ok well maybe. I'd just simply say that I don't think the Turgeon/Shanahan comparison applies to Reinhart/Bennett. Not that this matters much, but if both players are hard on the puck and off the puck, I prefer the smart player that is on the ice more and not in the box. Give me an RoR over a Marchand. We're talking about prospects though, so there's so much projection that it's probably a waste of time to think about.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Good for him for winning OHL awards. Reinhart and Draisaitl play in the WHL. Kind of puts a damper on your argument.

I was trying to help you realize that Bennett has some pretty elite skills. But, I'm not sure why I bother.

It'll be quite the shock for you if Bennett goes 1st.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Dude, that's exactly the point! I put the Murray quote up there because I'm trying to tell you I like Bennett based on the scouting reports and not PIM numbers, and here you are chastising me for going solely by PIMs, which is exactly what I'm not doing. The only people that keep repeating the significance of PIMs is everyone else. It's like they're all trying to continue some previous discussion they had somewhere else and attributing it to me. Seriously, how much dumber can this possibly get?

I never branded Bennett a playoff superstar. Or said that he's better than Reinhart. That was everyone else who wanted to get whatever they wanted out of a list of facts. I said I'd rather have a guy stick you in the kiwis. That's my preference. That doesn't mean he's going to be a better performer. That just means it's the type of player I enjoy watching more.

My initial comment wasn't even directed at you but rather an existing commentary on why Bennett is a better option. Since you came back at my post I assumed that was your stance. Sorry about that. No worries.

I think Bennett is a hell of a player and the Sabres will be set with either Sam. Reinhart has the better overall package at the moment but Bennett could turn out as the better player if he grows and develops.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
My initial comment wasn't even directed at you but rather an existing commentary on why Bennett is a better option. Since you came back at my post I assumed that was your stance. Sorry about that. No worries.

I think Bennett is a hell of a player and the Sabres will be set with either Sam. Reinhart has the better overall package at the moment but Bennett could turn out as the better player if he grows and develops.

My bad, I was taking it on the chin for a bit there and thought you were piling on. I'm glad it's all good now.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bennett places 3rd for the Red Tilson Trophy (league MVP), behind Connor Brown and Laughton.

Very impressive. Those other two are very polished players at that level, especially Laughton who is just a totally complete player in the OHL. Was that the reverse order as you gave it (meaning, did Laughton win)?

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Very impressive. Those other two are very polished players at that level, especially Laughton who is just a totally complete player in the OHL. Was that the reverse order as you gave it (meaning, did Laughton win)?

Connor Brown won it. I would have voted for Laughton, but when you win the league scoring title by 21 points I guess you get the nod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad