Prospect Info: 2014 Draft - Which Sam do you prefer: Reinhart vs. Bennett

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Ok, for the first time, I'm starting to waiver on the my desire for Reinhart. Bennett has a higher upside if he reaches his full potential, where as Reinhart is safer more consistent.

Glad I don't have to make the decision but I honestly think the Sabres are going to pick Draisaitl. Remember Murray said he had a better chance of getting the player he wanted than winning the lottery.

Ps: typing on an iPad sucks!

Murray only has to have a 26% chance of getting his player for that statement to be true. I would arbitrarily put about a 30% chance on any of Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett being taken #1, leaving a 70% chance of Murray having his guy available at #2. I really doubt that Draisaitl is in Murray's picture, unless Snow hands him #5.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I just re listened to the Murray interview that discusses the SAMs.

Combining that with the comment that "we are more confident that we were going to be able to get our guy at two than we were about winning the lottery," and I think the staff is leaning Bennett.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
These prognosticators also want to seem relevant without being accused of copying or repeating what another publication printed. So they try to switch things up to get the attention of readers. That's the only explanation for how Nylander gets ranked ahead of Reinhart.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
For those who have not seen, Pronman's top 100 just came out. Bennett is at #2 and Reinhart is at #4, sandwiching Nylander

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/stor...t-lead-top-100-draft-prospects-nhl-draft-2014

This just feels like a roller coaster ride between which Sam is rated higher. I'm OK with either at this point.

"While Nylander is a much better puck handler, with better vision and hockey IQ, Bennett has the positional edge and is a better skater than Nylander, with more defensive value as well."

Can someone explain to me how Nylander has better vision and hockey IQ and Bennett is a better defender? I realize vision is usually a reference to the offensive and passing games, but I would always assume that hockey IQ is what makes you a good defender. Because then you know where to be positionally and are thinking ahead of the opposition. That is unless I missed the video of Bennett sprouting four 8' long arms that make him a better defender without the need for smarts.

I again bring up Cody Hodgson. Two people in this thread said Cody probably had the highest hockey IQ on the Canucks: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1109721

If you did a search of HF Boards I would imagine you would find more references to Cody having a perceived high IQ when he was traded to Buffalo. His defensive issues on the Sabres would say otherwise. Hockey IQ is a hard thing to judge and I think get used too often to describe prospects we like because it can't really be proven.

Bennett is the better skater, better defensive player that does whatever needs to be done to win with similar offensive potential to the other top prospects in this draft. Give me that any day over someone who has to always be outsmarting the next NHL veteran with a decade more of hockey experience.

I'm not against Reinhart being the choice or Nylander being the Islanders pick if we get it, but I am very cautious about getting excited over a player's "hockey IQ".

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
Sam Bennett all the way.

Bennett is tougher/more physical, a better skater and is younger with more upside. Bennett will be a player who is harder to play against. Bennett is the more complete player.

Also Bennett's physical play better compliments soft offensive centers such as Grigorenko, Hodson, and Ennis.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
"While Nylander is a much better puck handler, with better vision and hockey IQ, Bennett has the positional edge and is a better skater than Nylander, with more defensive value as well."

Can someone explain to me how Nylander has better vision and hockey IQ and Bennett is a better defender? I realize vision is usually a reference to the offensive and passing games, but I would always assume that hockey IQ is what makes you a good defender. Because then you know where to be positionally and are thinking ahead of the opposition. That is unless I missed the video of Bennett sprouting four 8' long arms that make him a better defender without the need for smarts.

I again bring up Cody Hodgson. Two people in this thread said Cody probably had the highest hockey IQ on the Canucks: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1109721

If you did a search of HF Boards I would imagine you would find more references to Cody having a perceived high IQ when he was traded to Buffalo. His defensive issues on the Sabres would say otherwise. Hockey IQ is a hard thing to judge and I think get used too often to describe prospects we like because it can't really be proven.

Bennett is the better skater, better defensive player that does whatever needs to be done to win with similar offensive potential to the other top prospects in this draft. Give me that any day over someone who has to always be outsmarting the next NHL veteran with a decade more of hockey experience.

I'm not against Reinhart being the choice or Nylander being the Islanders pick if we get it, but I am very cautious about getting excited over a player's "hockey IQ".

To me, while it's all overlapping and convoluted, vision is the ability to see (or know/guess) where players are, see passing lanes, know whether you can sneak a pass through those lanes, etc. Hockey IQ is more knowing your responsibilities, situational awareness, knowing risk/reward, and making effective decisions without taking too much risk. Vision is used solely offensively, and almost solely with respect to playmaking.

It's also pretty clear that some players have great instincts, knowledge, decision-making, etc on one side of the ice and not the other, so it is reasonable to break down hockey IQ between various areas of the game when it makes sense to do so.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
These prognosticators also want to seem relevant without being accused of copying or repeating what another publication printed. So they try to switch things up to get the attention of readers. That's the only explanation for how Nylander gets ranked ahead of Reinhart.

There are perfectly valid reasons for taking Nylander over anyone. He was easily a top 3 guy going into the season. He has it all offensively except for size. There's certainly the potential there to be the best offensive player in the class.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
There are perfectly valid reasons for taking Nylander over anyone. He was easily a top 3 guy going into the season. He has it all offensively except for size. There's certainly the potential there to be the best offensive player in the class.

Wasn't that said of Nathan Gerbe?

:sarcasm:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Wasn't that said of Nathan Gerbe?

:sarcasm:

I know you used the sarcasm face, but aside from not being as talented, Gerbe's height issue is extreme while his weight/strength are no issue. Nylander's actually listed by Modo at 181 cm, which is 5'11" and change. He might be shorter but you get the idea. He needs to add weight and strength, then he'll be fine size-wise. Modo actually lists him at 79 kg (174 pounds), which isn't bad for his height/age really.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I just re listened to the Murray interview that discusses the SAMs.

Combining that with the comment that "we are more confident that we were going to be able to get our guy at two than we were about winning the lottery," and I think the staff is leaning Bennett.

Trying to read tea leaves, I think that quote also opens the door to unconventional possibilities at #2. Maybe it's Draisaitl or Nylander? Personally I prefer both Sams but still.

Also, he said at the draft something to the effect of "we have a consensus about who the #1 forward on our board is." To me, having a consensus this far before the draft means it's more likely Reinhart. Since Reinhart and Ekblad started out the year as the clear top-2, getting a consensus on Bennett would require every single scout changing their opinion during the season, and it just seems tough to believe every single one would change their mind to the point there's no debate left. I realize this assumes every scout started the year with Reinhart as forward #1 - that's probably unrealistic, but I would bet a lot of scouts did.

But I'm just trying to make something out of nothing because we don't play again for 5 months.

Last edited:

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
I don't think every scout has to change their mind for Bennett to be the consensus.

Last edited:

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Merriam-Webster has "a general agreement about something : an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group" and lists unanimity as a synonym. You could be right, but consensus does sort of mean unanimous.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Merriam-Webster has "a general agreement about something : an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group" and lists unanimity as a synonym. You could be right, but consensus does sort of mean unanimous.

You're taking that unanimity out of context. The unanimity refers to the collective consent of the group acting as a whole, not that the individual choice of each member has to be exactly the same.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Trying to read tea leaves, I think that quote also opens the door to unconventional possibilities at #2. Maybe it's Draisaitl or Nylander? Personally I prefer both Sams but still.

Also, he said at the draft something to the effect of "we have a consensus about who the #1 forward on our board is." To me, having a consensus this far before the draft means it's more likely Reinhart. Since Reinhart and Ekblad started out the year as the clear top-2, getting a consensus on Bennett would require every single scout changing their opinion during the season, and it just seems tough to believe every single one would change their mind to the point there's no debate left. I realize this assumes every scout started the year with Reinhart as forward #1 - that's probably unrealistic, but I would bet a lot of scouts did.

But I'm just trying to make something out of nothing because we don't play again for 5 months.

Im starting to think its Nylander too. From my perspective the Sabres need a game-breaking player and in this draft it doesnt get better than Nylander. I think he would fit in perfectly with the core and timeline thats in place. You cant rely on getting McDavid or Eichel.

Bennett could be an option too with his feisty play. As for Reinhart I dont really see him as a fit. I might be wrong but it feels like just more of the same. Anyway, just my 2 cents, Sabres is my favorite team in the East and Im a big fan of Zadorov so you might see me posting in here every once in a while.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I don't think this is as true as some want to think. It's not like their scouting process started this year.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Still think it is Bennett

If it's Bennett, I'm happy. I'm pretty sure it's not Nylander. I forget if it was an interview with Murray or Devine, but it didn't seem like Nylander was even in their top 6. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Nylander.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If it's Bennett, I'm happy. I'm pretty sure it's not Nylander. I forget if it was an interview with Murray or Devine, but it didn't seem like Nylander was even in their top 6. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Nylander.

William Nylander with the second overall pick? I would give Murray the benefit of the doubt but that could be an absolutely horrendous decision, Sam Reinhart is as good of a bet as anyone in the past few years coming out of the draft to be a first line center aside from (Mac, Tavares and Stamkos). Passing on him just because Nylander has better puck skills is silly, it's the type of play that get's a GM fired down the road. We are not in the position to make that risk, we absolutely must get a very good player at #2.

Reinhart and Bennett are clearly better prospect's then Nylander despite what some rankings say, it's ludicrous to pass on talent's like them with what they have done in the CHL to pick him. I am pretty open to whom ever we draft to some extent, but if we were to pick Nylander it would be a huge let down. Building a team around some major ??? prospects isn't a recipe to success. Getting a key cog who you know is going to be a player is (Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad or Draisaitl)

CHL defenseman of the year or WHL MVP of the year are going to be there for the taking, it's a no brainier that them or Bennett/Draisaitl will and should be the pick.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just take Reinhart. He has 3 quality seasons in the W including 2 with 80+ points/ppg and another near ppg season. He has been considered the best forward in this class for a few years now and he was the joe chosen for the WJC team and not Bennett. I would just laugh if we went off the board at #2 and took someone beside Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
William Nylander with the second overall pick? I would give Murray the benefit of the doubt but that could be an absolutely horrendous decision, Sam Reinhart is as good of a bet as anyone in the past few years coming out of the draft to be a first line center aside from (Mac, Tavares and Stamkos). Passing on him just because Nylander has better puck skills is silly, it's the type of play that get's a GM fired down the road. We are not in the position to make that risk, we absolutely must get a very good player at #2.

Reinhart and Bennett are clearly better prospect's then Nylander despite what some rankings say, it's ludicrous to pass on talent's like them with what they have done in the CHL to pick him. I am pretty open to whom ever we draft to some extent, but if we were to pick Nylander it would be a huge let down. Building a team around some major ??? prospects isn't a recipe to success. Getting a key cog who you know is going to be a player is (Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad or Draisaitl)

CHL defenseman of the year or WHL MVP of the year are going to be there for the taking, it's a no brainier that them or Bennett/Draisaitl will and should be the pick.

The only two guys I really want to be considered for the pick are Bennett and Reinhart. Maybe I should have said "too upset", but if the scouts think he's the best player, while I don't agree, I'll go along with it. He doesn't just have better puck skills than Reinhart, though. He's a considerably better skater. The problem is that if you want pop, it'd make more sense to go with Bennett. He's super-skilled but you have a better idea of how his game works at the next level than Nylander. It just wouldn't surprise me if Murray has Nylander (or someone else) over one of those two (and Ekblad), and then the other one goes #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad