2014 Draft Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
In many ways, Bennett's prospect status reminds me of Drouin's last year. I think this is the part of the season where many start trying to outsmart themselves. They're tired of hearing about the established top guys, and when another player enters the conversation, some start going overboard. I recall last year when some started wondering if Drouin would be drafted ahead of MacKinnon, and that he had a chance at #1. Fast forward one year and MacKinnon has a good shot at the Calder and Jones was called the most advanced 18 yo defenseman Poile has ever seen and he even entered the Team USA conversation.

"I stand here every year and say the same thing, it's best player available." -Tim Murray

If the Sabres have Ekblad ahead of Bennett on their board, they're picking him.

From someone who has been watching Ekblad for 3 years and Bennett for 2, there is NOTHING new about Bennett's game. He was phenomenal last season and it was quite shocking that the media finally took to him this year when he was injured with a groin injury more than half way through the year. The media seems to be slow in realizing how good he really is, I'm not really sure where the disconnect is. But, IMO, he should have been up there with Reinhart (and Ekbald) all along.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I wonder if GMTM was at the Fronts/Petes game tonight. He said he was going to scout the Ontario League after the Sens/Sabres game. The two OHL games anywhere close to Ottawa tonight were that game and Sarnia/Ottawa.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wonder if GMTM was at the Fronts/Petes game tonight. He said he was going to scout the Ontario League after the Sens/Sabres game. The two OHL games anywhere close to Ottawa tonight were that game and Sarnia/Ottawa.

You have to think he'd choose Fronts/Petes

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Twice? If you want to rely on small sample sizes, where does the fact that Ekblad was Team Canada's best defenseman at the WJC in his draft year enter your analysis?
Reinhart
Ekblad

Bennett

Dal Colle
Draisaitl

That's how I've tiered the top-5.

Bennett pretty much ran wild (no pun intended) against Ekblad and the Colts in the two games they've played one another (healthy). It's not just one play but rather two big games with teams that played against each other last year in the playoffs. I think it's fair game to state how they play against one another after seeing last years playoffs and this years games. And for the record I just said that Bennett is on their level not substantially ahead of them.

I was really impressed with Ekblad at the WJC. I agree he was one of their top 2. His first step still scares me, as he gets exposed against quicker players like Laughton and Bennett in the East. But, otherwise he has no real weaknesses. Personally, I just don't want a defenceman and would love either Reinhart or Bennett. If it were up to me, I'd move the pick to get one of the Sam's if Ekblad is still rated ahead of the other 2.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa

Maybe if Couture and Monahan were playing against Stamkos and Yakupov and Galchenyuk...although I guess with Goldobin and Konecny you never know.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Bennett and Reinhart have been absolutely killing it lately. If this production keeps up I wouldn't be surprised to see Ekblad fall to 3. Ala Jones.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Obviously PPG is not a perfect way to judge a draft class. But I went through all drafts since 2008 and the top 5 picks that were offensive players only. I left off Alex G due to him being injured. I don't see how this drafts top 5 is any weaker than past drafts. I feel like this draft is weaker than 2013 and 2015 but I feel like it is stronger than 2011 and 2012.

Stamkos- (OHL)
1.72 PPG

Tavares- (OHL)
2.08 PPG

Duchene- (OHL)
1.39 PPG

Kane- (WHL)
1.57 PPG

Schenn- (WHL)
1.68 PPG

Hall-(OHL)
1.86 PPG

Seguin-(OHL)
1.68 PPG

Johansen -(WHL)
.97 PPG

Niederreiter- (WHL)
.92 PPG

RNH- (WHL)
1.54 PPG

Landeskog- (OHL)
1.25 PPG

Huberdaeu- (QMJHL)
1.58 PPG

Strome- (OHL)
1.63 PPG

Yakupov- (OHL)
1.64 PPG

Mackinnon- (QMJHL)
1.70 PPG

Drouin- (QMJHL)
2.14 PPG

Reinhart- (WHL)
1.74 PPG

Bennett- (OHL)
1.72 PPG

Dal Colle- (OHL)
1.43 PPG

Draisaitl- (WHL)
1.42 PPG

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bennett and Reinhart have been absolutely killing it lately. If this production keeps up I wouldn't be surprised to see Ekblad fall to 3. Ala Jones.

I'd take at least 3-4 forwards over Ekblad even without considering our needs. Jones was a much better prospect imo.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Obviously PPG is not a perfect way to judge a draft class. But I went through all drafts since 2008 and the top 5 picks that were offensive players only. I left off Alex G due to him being injured. I don't see how this drafts top 5 is any weaker than past drafts. I feel like this draft is weaker than 2013 and 2015 but I feel like it is stronger than 2011 and 2012.

Stamkos- (OHL)
1.72 PPG

Tavares- (OHL)
2.08 PPG

Duchene- (OHL)
1.39 PPG

Kane- (WHL)
1.57 PPG

Schenn- (WHL)
1.68 PPG

Hall-(OHL)
1.86 PPG

Seguin-(OHL)
1.68 PPG

Johansen -(WHL)
.97 PPG

Niederreiter- (WHL)
.92 PPG

RNH- (WHL)
1.54 PPG

Landeskog- (OHL)
1.25 PPG

Huberdaeu- (QMJHL)
1.58 PPG

Strome- (OHL)
1.63 PPG

Yakupov- (OHL)
1.64 PPG

Mackinnon- (QMJHL)
1.70 PPG

Drouin- (QMJHL)
2.14 PPG

Reinhart- (WHL)
1.74 PPG

Bennett- (OHL)
1.72 PPG

Dal Colle- (OHL)
1.43 PPG

Draisaitl- (WHL)
1.42 PPG

Great info. Helps put things in perspective to a degree!

ZeroPT*

I agree with the last sentence. I don't think Jones and Ekblad are too close, really.

Gonna agree here. Ekblad has always been so far ahead of his pears I think he'll start slowing down, they're already starting to catch up.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Completely agree. We are almost guaranteed to draft a Sam. Doesn't matter to
me.... Thrilled.

Don't give a damn, I want either Sam !! :naughty:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd take at least 3-4 forwards over Ekblad even without considering our needs. Jones was a much better prospect imo.

I agree with the last sentence. I don't think Jones and Ekblad are too close, really.

Gonna agree here. Ekblad has always been so far ahead of his pears I think he'll start slowing down, they're already starting to catch up.

You all are just baiting JFB with this Jones>Ekblad talk. :laugh:

In any event, I'd disagree and I really liked Jones. I think Ekblad is more advanced at the same stage and has more hockey sense than Jones. Ekblad also doesn't have the really good offensive prospects around him to boost his numbers that Jones did, yet Ekblad is still ahead of Seth's offensive pace. I think one could argue that Jones had greater upside because of his athletic gifts, but I disagree that he's the better prospect.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
You all are just baiting JFB with this Jones>Ekblad talk. :laugh:

In any event, I'd disagree and I really liked Jones. I think Ekblad is more advanced at the same stage and has more hockey sense than Jones. Ekblad also doesn't have the really good offensive prospects around him to boost his numbers that Jones did, yet Ekblad is still ahead of Seth's offensive pace. I think one could argue that Jones had greater upside because of his athletic gifts, but I disagree that he's the better prospect.

Well put. Agreed on all accounts. Ekblad's all-around talent and maturity> Jones offensive skills and raw physical talent. When it's all said and done I think they're both going to be fantastic defenseman, but I'd rather have Ekblad.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I guess the one thing we can all agree upon is that it is most likely that one of Reinhart, Ekblad or Bennett will be a Sabre next year.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
From Prospect boards:

Reinhart played an important and versatile role at the WJC. I can't recall a draft eligible killing 5-on-3's one moment, then running a PP the next. Cerebral player who draws comparisons to Toews.

Ekblad also played an important role at the WJC and was playing top pairing until Reinhart returned. Reminiscent of the role Doughty had in his draft year. It should be taken into consideration these two we're playing primarily against 19 year olds from the superior 2013 draft.

Bennett is on pace for similar numbers to Seguin/Hall/RNH. Does so while playing with an edge (a bit grittier than any of those guys).

Dal Colle is an explosive skater with a lethal release. His build reminds me of Hall, ISS has him 6'2 184, Hall was 6'1 185 in his draft year (currently 201). He's not as strong a skater as Hall, but I think calling him a poor man's Hall is apt. That or a smaller version of Rick Nash.

Nick Ritchie would be my number 5. PPG aren't in the same class as the others, but a 6'3 225 power forward doesn't have to produce as much to have the same impact. Maybe not as intimidating as Lucic, but the similarities are there. There isn't a 1st rder in next years draft like Ritchie.

I think that top 5 is very good. No generational talents, but there are absolutely franchise players.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Count me in the group that thinks Ekblad has become fairly overrated. He's leaned heavily on his physical maturity.

And for all his physical gifts, Ekblad isn't in the same ballpark as Seth Jones athletically.

I find Ekblad to be much closer to Darnell Nurse, than to Seth Jones.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
What a great trade by Regier to get the Islanders pick, either this year or the next, I'll be happy either way.

If we land Reinhart + Bennett (with the Islanders pick), I'll be ecstatic. I doubt Bennett drops that far though.

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
Count me in the group that thinks Ekblad has become fairly overrated. He's leaned heavily on his physical maturity.

And for all his physical gifts, Ekblad isn't in the same ballpark as Seth Jones athletically.

I find Ekblad to be much closer to Darnell Nurse, than to Seth Jones.

I agree, although I would probably use the term overhyped rather than overrated. He is likely going to be a decent blue chip prospect, I'm just not as convinced as to a lofty ceiling for him. Given the Sabres' offensive needs, Reinhart or Bennett has to be their pick this year.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I agree, although I would probably use the term overhyped rather than overrated. He is likely going to be a decent blue chip prospect, I'm just not as convinced as to a lofty ceiling for him. Given the Sabres' offensive needs, Reinhart or Bennett has to be their pick this year.

I'd give a huge :shakehead if they pick Ekblad. Most of the posters on the prospects boards seem to think the difference between Bennett and Reinhart is paper thin. They aren't pro scouts, but a lot of those guys watch a lot of their games.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Agreed completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany