2014 Draft Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Continued from Part One.

2014 NHL Draft set for June 27-28 in Philadelphia:
The 2014 NHL Draft will be held over two days, Friday June 27, and Saturday, June 28, it was announced today by the NHL and the Philadelphia Flyers, the host Club of next year's NHL Draft.

The event will take place at the Wells Fargo Center, home of the Flyers. NHL club executives, scouts and coaches will be present on the NHL Draft floor while more than 10,000 fans and 500 print, television and radio media are expected to attend. It will be the first time the city and facility will host the NHL Draft.

header-350x60-draft-guides-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

DRAFT GUIDE ROUNDUP

Latest Rankings

CSS, Future Considerations ($), Hockey Prospect ($), ISS, McKeen's ($), Pronman, THW, TSN Button, TSN McKenzie.

Junior Resources

Buzzing the Net, DraftSite, ESPN ($), Future Considerations ($), HF, Hockey News, Hockey Prospect ($), Hockey
Prospectus, Hockey Writers, Last Word on Sports, McKeen's ($), NEHJ, NHL.com, OHL Prospects, OHL Writers,
Pipeline Show, Red Line Report ($), Reel Hockey Scouting ($), Scout.ca ($), Scouting Report, Sportsnet, TSN,
World of Junior Hockey, WHL From Above.

Mock Drafts (Tally – More Mocks)​
header-350x60-draft-preview-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

CSS 2014 ONES TO WATCH

"A" Players (aka potential first-round picks)

PLAYER|TEAM|POS|HT|WT|HF|YT|MEDIAWATCH

Barbashev, Ivan |Moncton|LW|6.01|185| HF |-| 10/3 Bennett, Sam |Kingston|LW|6.00|178| HF | YT | 10/24 Clarke, Blake |North Bay|LW|6.01|197| HF | YT | 9/27 Dal Colle, Michael |Oshawa|LW|6.02|179| HF | YT | 9/19 , 10/5 , 10/25 De Leo, Chase |Portland|LC|5.09|177|-|-| 9/27 , 10/17 Demko, Thatcher |Boston College|G|6.04|182| HF |-|-

Draisaitl, Leon |Prince Albert|LC|6.02|208| HF | YT | 9/9 , 9/26 Ekblad, Aaron |Barrie|RD|6.04|216| HF | YT | 9/11 Fleury, Haydn |Red Deer|LD|6.03|198| HF | YT | 10/12 Ho Sang, Josh |Windsor|RW|5.11|166| HF |-| 8/20 , 10/11 Honka, Julius |Swift Current|RD|5.10|167| HF |-| 10/1 , 10/3 , 10/24 Kapanen, Kasperi |Kalpa|RW|5.11|172| HF |-| 9/23 Kempe, Adrian |Modo Jr.|LW|6.02|187| HF |-| 8/28 Larkin, Dylan |USNTDP|LC|6.01|190|-|-| 9/27 ; College: Michigan

Martin, Brycen |Swift Current|LD|6.02|184| HF |-|-

McCann, Jared |Sault Ste. Marie|LC|6.00|179| HF |-| 8/14 , 10/4 McKeown, Roland |Kingston|RD|6.01|197|-| YT | 8/28 , 10/5 Milano, Sonny |USNTDP|LW|6.00|183|-|-| 7/31 , 9/27 ; College: Notre Dame

Mistele, Matt|Plymouth|LW|6.02|190|-|[URL="http://youtu.be/qkct8EXrmjU"]YT | 9/23 Nedeljkovic, Alex |Plymouth|G|6.00|184| HF |-| 10/1 , 10/8 Nylander, William |Rogle|RC|5.11|169| HF |-| 9/5 Pastrnak, David |Sodertalje|RW|6.00|167| HF |-|-

Reinhart, Sam |Kootenay|RC|6.01|185| HF | YT | 7/10 , 9/2 , 9/11 , 10/10 Ritchie, Nick |Peteborough|LW|6.02|231|-| YT | 10/21 Schmaltz, Nick |Green Bay|RC|6.00|172|-|-| 9/27 ; College: North Dakota

Virtanen, Jake |Calgary|LW|6.01|208| HF | YT | 10/22 , 10/24 Vrana, Jakub [/URL]|Linkoping|LW|5.11|185|-|-|-

Watson, Spencer |Kingston|RW|5.10|166|-|-|-
** I'll update this table following the 2014 WJCs **​

ZeroPT*

Is this a good thing? Or only sometimes?

On a side note, but also got me thinking. This team needs some speed. Draft the guy that could most likely turn out like a kessel or seguin on the wing if possible pls.

It's good :laugh: The way he slows the game down and sees the ice it's basically slow-mo, and he's able to spot passes and make plays even the best of offensive prospects don't make. If you watch him you'll notice he plays a slower game, not a lethargic came but a good kind of slow, a patient,smart, play making type of slow.

And FYI, there doesn't seem to be a speedy dynamic offensive threat near the top of the draft.. Dal colle isn't really speedy and although Draisaitl has wheels I don't really see him as a franchise player, I see him as an excellent complimentary piece

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
It's good :laugh: The way he slows the game down and sees the ice it's basically slow-mo, and he's able to spot passes and make plays even the best of offensive prospects don't make. If you watch him you'll notice he plays a slower game, not a lethargic came but a good kind of slow, a patient,smart, play making type of slow.

And FYI, there doesn't seem to be a speedy dynamic offensive threat near the top of the draft.. Dal colle isn't really speedy and although Draisaitl has wheels I don't really see him as a franchise player, I see him as an excellent complimentary piece

Yeah, I got the feeling there really wasn't. I wouldn't mind taking a barely draft eligible young guy that has the potential to become Kessel like in the 2nd round. Like another JT Compher

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I'm in the minority... but I've had Goldobin in my top 10 prospects for 2014 since last year...

ZeroPT*

I'm in the minority... but I've had Goldobin in my top 10 prospects for 2014 since last year...

From what I've seen of him (a handful of games) he could be a decent, speedy, offensive minded 2nd liner... I don't see him as having elite potential though, if the Isles pick is 8-14, I'd be down to take him.

Hrothgar

Jan 19, 2013
Buffalo
How about Nikolaj Ehlers? I can't remember who it was on this board, but someone compared him to a Parise-lite. He's fast and agile, but he can also score. He's also defensively responsible.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
How about Nikolaj Ehlers? I can't remember who it was on this board, but someone compared him to a Parise-lite. He's fast and agile, but he can also score. He's also defensively responsible.

Undersized, iirc, but I think he'd be worth a look with the Isle's 1st if it ends up around 8-12.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
From what I've seen of him (a handful of games) he could be a decent, speedy, offensive minded 2nd liner... I don't see him as having elite potential though, if the Isles pick is 8-14, I'd be down to take him.

Depends on your definition of elite potential...

He has Jeff Skinner type potential

ZeroPT*

Depends on your definition of elite potential...

He has Jeff Skinner type potential

I don't see it. He has holes in his games from what I've seen (again it's a really small sample size) The likeleyhood of us even being able to take him is super low... he isn't a top 3 prospect, the Isles look like they won't be giving us this years pick so I don't see us taking him. I like him, I just don't see him developing as a skinner type guy, like you mentioned. I see him more as a Hansen type guy or maybe a Grabner... not worth a top 10 pick imho

ZeroPT*

Undersized, iirc, but I think he'd be worth a look with the Isle's 1st if it ends up around 8-12.

I think he'll rise meteorically.When it's all said and done his scoring ability,speed,two-way play and IQ will make him a top 5 pick. I see him bouncing Bennett down a couple spots, he's really good.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I think he'll rise meteorically.When it's all said and done his scoring ability,speed,two-way play and IQ will make him a top 5 pick. I see him bouncing Bennett down a couple spots, he's really good.

I didn't know you lived in Ottawa too Zero, neat-o.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Ehlers, he'll have time to fill out later.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Does anyone have an NHL comparable to Jared McCann.....what is his optimal upside? Strengths? Most likely draft position? I have only seen videos of him and he seems to be rising up the ranks.

ZeroPT*

I didn't know you lived in Ottawa too Zero, neat-o.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Ehlers, he'll have time to fill out later.

Orleans born and raised :laugh: I agree, his sheer skill is definitely something positive, he's also damn good defensively

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone have an NHL comparable to Jared McCann.....what is his optimal upside? Strengths? Most likely draft position? I have only seen videos of him and he seems to be rising up the ranks.

Scouts compare him to Logan Couture. Good two way guy who has solid offensive potential.

ZeroPT*

I've seen him play a couple times since a couple of my old school mates play on the greyhounds (Mercier and Shenyshyn) idk but I always thought of Sobotka when I saw him.. Maybe on a higher end he could turn out to be a Pavelski type of guy. I'm sure there are people who watch him on a more consistent basis than me can comment on a more accurate scale but that's what I've gathered so far

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think if Ho Sang drops to the top of the 2nd round then he is a dynamic, skilled winger that is improving by the day and would be a great pickup for the Sabres.

ZeroPT*

I consider him with one of our 2nds but not a first

I'm personally hoping that one of Vrana/Schmaltz/Milano/Kempe drop to our 2nd round pick. They all seem like good scoring forwards.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't see it. He has holes in his games from what I've seen (again it's a really small sample size) The likeleyhood of us even being able to take him is super low... he isn't a top 3 prospect, the Isles look like they won't be giving us this years pick so I don't see us taking him. I like him, I just don't see him developing as a skinner type guy, like you mentioned. I see him more as a Hansen type guy or maybe a Grabner... not worth a top 10 pick imho

everyone outside the top few picks has holes in their game... i don't really see the comparisons you made at all (if you are comparing their junior careers). Grabner and Hansen were never the scorers that Goldobin is

Skinner, like Goldobin, was quick, but not blazing fast.
They both have a knack for scoring lanes, and are excellent without the puck. They take excellent skating lines and make themselves available to their linemates.

Skinner, like Goldobin, is fast without the puck, but not speedy elite in a puck carrying way. Their offensive talent can shine, without the puck on their stick.

Skinner, like Goldobin, grew into his body quickly... he put on about 15 pounds in his draft year... Goldobin, if my eyes are any good... is DEFINITELY doing the same. He looks about 6'0 185 now... a big difference from the 5'11, 165 he weighed in at last year.

Skinner, like Goldobin, was largely ignored as a top prospect coming into his draft year. And like Goldobin, his goal scoring kept moving him up the charts, until he ended up a top 10 pick

Skinner, like Goldobin, did not have much of a 2 way game to his credit. It was something lacking, and he still lacks it... but the offensive talent translated, and translated quickly...

Above all, Skinner, like Goldobin has an ELITE goal scoring tools. ALL of his shots are of the highest level. His release, accuracy, power, all of it, is legit high level talent. As far as "Dynamic" offensive threats go... Goldobin, like Skinner, is one. Their similarities as shooters, and players whose play with and without the puck is equally dangerous offensively, while being raw in their own zone... is pretty accurate.

Compare:
GP / G / A / P / PPG
1st Year OHL
63 27 24 51 0.81 (Skinner)
68 30 38 68 1.00 (Goldobin)

2nd Year OHL
64 50 40 90 1.40 (Skinner)
38 28 31 59 1.55 (Goldobin)

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
When Pominville got drafted he seemed a pint sized typical QMJHL player-small, good skater with a scoring touch. It took him a while to get to where he was a very good 2 way player. I am hoping lightning strikes again with one of our picks after number one. I do like Vrana and Schmalz.

ZeroPT*

everyone outside the top few picks has holes in their game... i don't really see the comparisons you made at all (if you are comparing their junior careers). Grabner and Hansen were never the scorers that Goldobin is

Skinner, like Goldobin, was quick, but not blazing fast.
They both have a knack for scoring lanes, and are excellent without the puck. They take excellent skating lines and make themselves available to their linemates.

Skinner, like Goldobin, is fast without the puck, but not speedy elite in a puck carrying way. Their offensive talent can shine, without the puck on their stick.

Skinner, like Goldobin, grew into his body quickly... he put on about 15 pounds in his draft year... Goldobin, if my eyes are any good... is DEFINITELY doing the same. He looks about 6'0 185 now... a big difference from the 5'11, 165 he weighed in at last year.

Skinner, like Goldobin, was largely ignored as a top prospect coming into his draft year. And like Goldobin, his goal scoring kept moving him up the charts, until he ended up a top 10 pick

Skinner, like Goldobin, did not have much of a 2 way game to his credit. It was something lacking, and he still lacks it... but the offensive talent translated, and translated quickly...

Above all, Skinner, like Goldobin has an ELITE goal scoring tools. ALL of his shots are of the highest level. His release, accuracy, power, all of it, is legit high level talent. As far as "Dynamic" offensive threats go... Goldobin, like Skinner, is one. Their similarities as shooters, and players whose play with and without the puck is equally dangerous offensively, while being raw in their own zone... is pretty accurate.

Compare:
GP / G / A / P / PPG
1st Year OHL
63 27 24 51 0.81 (Skinner)
68 30 38 68 1.00 (Goldobin)

2nd Year OHL
64 50 40 90 1.40 (Skinner)
38 28 31 59 1.55 (Goldobin)

When you look at it that way then yes he does emulate Skinner. But what I meant is, I don't see him BECOMING a Skinner type. I see him as more of a perimeter, speedy,middles six scorer... like Grabner. It was more of a career projection comparison and not a playing style. Plus, I don't really see how we'd be able to pick him up. Packaging some 2nds to move in to round 1 to take him? hope the Isles give us their pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad