2014 Draft Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Re: Isles pick

I'd much rather have the Isles 2015 pick than the 2014 pick at this point.

I think its a given that top 5, they'll be opting till next years draft.

The Isles won't be moving to Barclay's center until 2016, so, Wang isn't going to have incentive to spend next year either. And sure, if they are able to solidify their goalie position and D, maybe the are out of the top 10 next year and in the middling 11-20 range pick. But, when all is said and done, we're likely to have at least 1 more 2014 pick in the mid-late 1st, if not 2-3 more, not to mention the 3 2nd's we already have.

McDavid lotto aside, spreading the wealth a bit between years is a good way to space out prospects/development.

:huh:

I would think if they are moving in 2016 and Wang isn't willing to spend yet... that giving up the 2014, and keeping the 2015 would make more sense.

How are they improving their D and G, without spending a ton of money?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
:huh:

I would think if they are moving in 2016 and Wang isn't willing to spend yet... that giving up the 2014, and keeping the 2015 would make more sense.

How are they improving their D and G, without spending a ton of money?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. A few decent goalies on the market (Hiller, Miller, Halak) and they have to spend 14 million on 7 roster spots to get to the floor. They find a few good pieces to build up their defense, they have enough scoring with an average d and goalie they'd be in the hunt for the playoffs in a weak eastern conference.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
If that Islanders pick is a top 5 this year they take it. I hope like heck they defer because they will be a lottery pick again next year. If its 6-10 I think they give it to us in 2015.
If they can somehow add a first rounder this year in the top 15 or so in a Vanek trade then they give us the pick this year regardless.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If that Islanders pick is a top 5 this year they take it. I hope like heck they defer because they will be a lottery pick again next year. If its 6-10 I think they give it to us in 2014.
If they can somehow add a first rounder this year in the top 15 or so in a Vanek trade then they give us the pick this year regardless.

You think they'll give up a top-4 pick if they get a pick in the 12-14 range from their Vanek deal? No chance. I think the two are largely unrelated. The only way I see anything close to your scenario playing out is if they get a pick around 11 or 12 (say, OTT's 1st from Anaheim) and the Isles go on a win streak and pick 7th or 8th. Otherwise, they're deferring.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. A few decent goalies on the market (Hiller, Miller, Halak) and they have to spend 14 million on 7 roster spots to get to the floor. They find a few good pieces to build up their defense, they have enough scoring with an average d and goalie they'd be in the hunt for the playoffs in a weak eastern conference.

There's been decent goalies on the market for years... and none have wanted to go anywhere near the Island... They had to claim Nabakov after another team signed him... There are going to be plenty of teams in the veteran goaltender market...

There have been defensemen on the market for years... and the only way they were able to get one was to trade for him and basically force him to show up. lol

I would get the whole "they wont give up a top pick" argument if we were talking about a decent franchise here... but it's the isles... they've been blind for 2 decades and haven't come close to finding a nut.

After the Isles acquire some good picks/players for Vanek, MacDonald, maybe even Nabakov (backup rental).... they will have plenty of reasons to give us their 2014 1st and protect their very likely to be very high 2015 pick.

As they sit on things for another year, before the 2015 draft, and move to Barclay's.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You think they'll give up a top-4 pick if they get a pick in the 12-14 range from their Vanek deal? No chance. I think the two are largely unrelated. The only way I see anything close to your scenario playing out is if they get a pick around 11 or 12 (say, OTT's 1st from Anaheim) and the Isles go on a win streak and pick 7th or 8th. Otherwise, they're deferring.

There's a reason they asked for the "option to defer" if it's top 10, rather than just making it automatic.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Pick 6 (nice football term) seems to be the point where the Islanders might opt not to defer. What do you think it would take to move pick 6 or 7 down to pick 3 or possibly 4? I know this is all hypothetical, but what do you think it would roughly cost and would it be worth it?

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
There's been decent goalies on the market for years... and none have wanted to go anywhere near the Island... They had to claim Nabakov after another team signed him... There are going to be plenty of teams in the veteran goaltender market...

There have been defensemen on the market for years... and the only way they were able to get one was to trade for him and basically force him to show up. lol

I would get the whole "they wont give up a top pick" argument if we were talking about a decent franchise here... but it's the isles... they've been blind for 2 decades and haven't come close to finding a nut.

After the Isles acquire some good picks/players for Vanek, MacDonald, maybe even Nabakov (backup rental).... they will have plenty of reasons to give us their 2014 1st and protect their very likely to be very high 2015 pick.

As they sit on things for another year, before the 2015 draft, and move to Barclay's.

I just can't fathom anybody (including the Islanders) giving us a top 5 (maybe up to 3) pick for the chance giving up a top player in 2015 draft.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Pick 6 (nice football term) seems to be the point where the Islanders might opt not to defer. What do you think it would take to move pick 6 or 7 down to pick 3 or possibly 4? I know this is all hypothetical, but what do you think it would roughly cost and would it be worth it?

I maintain that the Islanders will defer any top 10 pick. If Snow wanted to not defer a pick in the 6 to 10 range he would have only insisted on the protection for the top 5 picks.

Snow also has to sell that he has constructed a playoff team. Not deferring sends the opposite message.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I maintain that the Islanders will defer any top 10 pick. If Snow wanted to not defer a pick in the 6 to 10 range he would have only insisted on the protection for the top 5 picks.

Snow also has to sell that he has constructed a playoff team. Not deferring sends the opposite message.

I don't agree with this rationale. He got top 10 protection because he could, now he is in control over the situation which a GM would obviously prefer to not having control.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
That review of Reinhart's play is incredible, definitely worthy of the top pick. I would say he is a strong 1st overall pick, even though many will disagree because he doesn't have game breaking explosiveness. It is his only flaw. Even if he doesn't become that elite number one C, his low side is a defensively responsible 2C that will put up 50-60+ pts a year. (Bergeron)

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroPT*

That review of Reinhart's play is incredible, definitely worthy of the top pick. I would say he is a strong 1st overall pick, even though many will disagree because he doesn't have game breaking explosiveness. It is his only flaw. Even if he doesn't become that elite number one C, his low side is a defensively responsible 2C that will put up 50-60+ pts a year. (Bergeron)

Floor:Bergeron
Ceiling:Toews/Zetterberg.

yes please.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Will Sam Bennett be an NHL center or winger or both?

Probably a center. Despite lots of places listing him as "C/W" he actually hasn't ever played wing in the OHL. I read that he did play wing in midgets but he was on a line with McDavid after all.

Karate Johnson*

I really wish the Sabres could get Reinhart and Bennett.

You never know. Our pick plus the isles and whatever else we get this deadline could make that a reality.

I'd prefer the isles defer though.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
KGN 10 - BAR 6 -- Highlights + Box score (#93 Bennett vs #5 Ekblad) ... Ekblad's on the ice for seven GA in this one, a truly forgettable performance, even if two were ENG; Bennett's the second star with his three assists.

With Reinhart's strong month, and a performance like that from Ekblad against a fellow top-notch prospect, I wonder if Reinhart will close the gap or overtake Ekblad in some polls. Reinhart has been the better player since the Top Prospects Game.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I want Samson. Unfortunately, so does I think everyone but maybe the Oilers.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
With Reinhart's strong month, and a performance like that from Ekblad against a fellow top-notch prospect, I wonder if Reinhart will close the gap or overtake Ekblad in some polls. Reinhart has been the better player since the Top Prospects Game.

I expect Reinhart to be the universal #1.... it's a "click" game, you can't have the same #1/top 3 for the entire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad