Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I've advocated for years that when one signs up here at HF that you must pick your favorite team. Then at the top of every thread is a checkbox that will automatically filter out every poster who is a fan of either team that's involved in 'x'. Boom, instant removal of the homer bickering & the signal to noise ratio is much improved (if you still want to wade through all that drek/fight the 'my guy is innocent because he's on my team...' arguments then don't check the box).

My completely neutral take falls squarely into the category of "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'..." camp. A series of events led to Soucy getting McDavid in the face, it wasn't intentional. A fine at best is what's warranted. Unfortunately, with the Department of Random Justice involved ... who knows?

Aug 3, 2021
Zadorov should offer to serve or cover any discipline, it's entirely his fault this ended up being anything.
I'm sure the Oil would like that but Big Z will play and will keep rustling jimmies

2152674763.jpg

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Unfortunately for Soucy, Zadorov came in and gave McDavid a shot in the back so Soucy's x-check ended up high instead of in the chest.

2-3 games I'm sure.
If not for Zadorov, it would have been nothing.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Sorry, but the league was adamant both in its initial judgment and in its response to Toronto’s appeal that scoring a goal is not an instigating act and therefore Rielly was not retaliating but rather instigating against a defenceless opponent.

Not similar.
No need to be sorry.

Griegs action was more of a passive aggressive act vs a blatant act of aggression. Much softer than this instance.

I’m not interested in what the “league determined” regarding Grieg as it’s not relative to this discussion. However it was easy to see what Grieg was doing.

Both plays garnered a similar response, either way. And both infractions happened after the play was dead. I believe this is where the DOPS compare the 2 incidents.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Could work either way imo. Could wake up the non contributing Oiler players or could embolden the Canucks with an us against the league mentality.
Personally I’m hoping the Oilers try to get revenge like the Leafs did against Marchand.

It could end up working in Vancouver’s favour if it puts McDavid or the Oilers off their game.

It’s one of those things where whoever wins the next game will create the narrative.

“Oilers avenged McDavid, see what waking up the bear does!!!!!!”

“Soucy is in the heads of the Oilers, they’ve complete collapsed LOLZ!!!!”

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Campbell didn't suck worse than Skinner with Woodcroft coaching. Both were equally bad. Campbell was waived to change things up and was never tried with new coach and new defensive strategy.

Skinner could've been pulled after the 3rd goal if not after period 1. Even I'm 3rd Oilers had plenty of time for a comeback. It was a good game with Oilers fighting til the end. The issue here is the assault after the final buzzer .. I don't think many saw what happened to McDavid otherwise the bench could have cleared if McD stayed down on the ice and replays of that play shown.
Campbell was a decent player that just can't handle the load as a starter from what I remember. He could play decent in stretches but needed rest.

As per the "assault" maybe 97 should not act like a tough guy after the buzzer. He brought it all on himself and that's plain to see for everyone. Unfortunate how it looked as he fell like a house of cards but he started whole situation. He's clearly frustrated and Soucy is getting punished for a play that shouldn't have happened anyway as the final buzzer was well before.

As per Zadorov's involvement he barely touched McDavid if he really wanted to hurt him 97 wouldn't be getting up. McDavid is 200 lbs flops around like he's 170lbs when suits him.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Cross check and push are two very different things
So is slash and tap, and we can argue semantics all day. But the fact is that Saucy initiated by first contact, which makes McDavid the respondent. If you want to argue further then this that is your right but to make the statement of McDavid initiated is factually wrong.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You really think that guys don’t swat at each other with their sticks after the play is over as part of a scrum activity? And often it doesn’t get called?

Really?

I’m beyond amazed. It’s like you’re watching a completely different sport.

You realize there is a significant different in a base ball style slash happening in game (still doesn’t happen a dozen times) and happening after the game is ended. I can’t believe you are continuing on with this hopeless argument.

1715619564415.jpeg

You can’t seriously tell me this slash happens a dozen times in a game let alone after the game. Look at the wind up to the slash. You are completely out of touch with reality or just unwilling to admit you are wrong.

Most games aren't heated, tight, second round divisional playoff games. That type of slash happens post whistle, if not post game, a dozen times a game at least.

Look at the photo and the wind up. This slash doesn’t happen a dozen times during a game, let alone after a gsme.

One heck of a “swat” here

Who’s going to retaliate? Janmark? Nuge?

Reactions: LivingRentFree

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No need to be sorry.

Griegs action was more of a passive aggressive act vs a blatant act of aggression. Much softer than this instance.

I’m not interested in what the “league determined” regarding Grieg as it’s not relative to this discussion. However it was easy to see what Grieg was doing.

Both plays garnered a similar response, either way. And both infractions happened after the play was dead. I believe this is where the DOPS compare the 2 incidents.

If you’re expecting a similar punishment, I think you’re going to be disappointed.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It wasnt an intentional crosscheck to face either
It was a cross check to the face. I think many Oiler fans have acknowledged that it would have been in the chest had Zadorov not cross checked McDavid in the back. I also think that if you were being honest about it, if you were asked to rank which was the worst act of 1) cross check to the back, 2) slash on the hip, and 3) cross check in the face, you would determine that the slash on the hip is the least egregious.

Reactions: AvroArrow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad