Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Discussion II (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i dont like mccann maybe listen to bobby mac and others too much.

Deangelo on the ice to me is the second best defenseman in this draft only guy I think besides ekblad is a really solid top pairing guy imo.

I would love pettersson he is my choice for second round steal.

Nylander wont drop so choice who might be available would be barbashev than sanheim and really like honka he looks like a forward. Other guys play forward wise play a decent two way game I would want them over the smaller skilled guys that are probably going to be available. Worst case they pan out in checking lower lines types with some scoring upside etc.. I think a lot of these smaller guys are not that good or are over hyped. Now I love ho sang. Yet is others think fit detroit better.

id much rather have scherbak kempe or goldy than fabbri milano

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What a bunch of epic fail on William Nylanders stats column. How hard can it be to check with, for instance, eliteprospects.com.

You can check eliteprospects all you want, but the numbers wont change. That's exactly what he recorded in the SHL

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That part depends greatly, say the Wings like somebody or two people a lot in that range. St. Louis as the example thrown around really is only high on people up the line. While I think 21 and 33 is more in line with coming up anyway, but if that is their position they are more likely to pay it.

We don't know the Wings thinking, but just because other scouts see this drop off doesn't mean the Wings do. They do a pretty good job of understanding the board and what other teams want, in a draft that is pretty across the board to generally negative that is a good talent to have. It means their ability to maximize value is even larger in my opinion. We will see, I think they will ultimately stay put unless they are trading for an actual roster player.

I tend to agree with much of what you said, but don't share your obsession with the weakness of this draft. It is certainly weaker than most at the top of the first round. I also don't see a huge amount of depth in the 2nd + rounds. IMHO, however, the middle of the first round does not appear to be materially better or worse than most drafts. As a Wings fan I think, sure this class may be weaker, but it should not affect my team as much as some others.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I have a weird feeling that the 1st overall is going to be traded and the return will be huge (don't see the Red Wings being in the mix, though).

Barbashev is still the guy I would draft at 15th overall, but the draft is going to be all over the place which such talent evenly stacked.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I have a weird feeling that the 1st overall is going to be traded and the return will be huge (don't see the Red Wings being in the mix, though).

Barbashev is still the guy I would draft at 15th overall, but the draft is going to be all over the place which such talent evenly stacked.

Yeah Detroit wont be in the mix, As Dale Tallon has said that he does'nt want to go any lower then 8th possibly 10th at the very most. But I agree the 1st should get the Panthers a huge return.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah Detroit wont be in the mix, As Dale Tallon has said that he does'nt want to go any lower then 8th possibly 10th at the very most. But I agree the 1st should get the Panthers a huge return.

I am really puzzled why it would be a huge return

i can see in the past with tavares and stamkos clear cut #1 picks but this year?

a team in the top 10 would be foolish to part with significant assets just to grab reinhart instead of nylander or whoever

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

i can see in the past with tavares and stamkos clear cut #1 picks but this year?

a team in the top 10 would be foolish to part with significant assets just to grab reinhart instead of nylander or whoever

Yeah, I agree with you.

The return will be good for Florida, but it's not going to be as huge as people are making it out to be. A draft pick plus a nice piece as well as a throw-in; people aren't moving their entire organizations for that pick.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

One of the deals that I saw out there that Florida would want from Vancouver for the 1st was Tanev and Vancouvers 2014 1st round pick 6th overall. To me that's not a huge return at all. Tanev is another Dekeyser clone nothing special.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
One of the deals that I saw out there that Florida would want from Vancouver for the 1st was Tanev and Vancouvers 2014 1st round pick 6th overall. To me that's not a huge return at all. Tanev is another Dekeyser nothing special.

hmm depends

is ekblad a significant enough upgrade on tanev plus nylander let alone whatever else the nucks would have to chip in?

i get it a little from vancouvers pov, getting a #1 pick after a terrible year in which the GM and Coach were fired and a new president is brought in AND losing kesler and Luongo maybe viewed as a good gesture for the fans ie "turning the corner" but the canucks should be careful

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah, I agree with you.

The return will be good for Florida, but it's not going to be as huge as people are making it out to be. A draft pick plus a nice piece as well as a throw-in; people aren't moving their entire organizations for that pick.

Agreed Soup, Now the 2015 1st round pick would be a totally different story that pick would be like liquid gold in such a deep draft.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
hmm depends

is ekblad a significant enough upgrade on tanev plus nylander let alone whatever else the nucks would have to chip in?

i get it a little from vancouvers pov, getting a #1 pick after a terrible year in which the GM and Coach were fired and a new president is brought in AND losing kesler and Luongo maybe viewed as a good gesture for the fans ie "turning the corner" but the canucks should be careful

Yeah I seriously doubt that Vancouver would be Interested in trading Tanev they're pretty high on him. Even if it meant getting the 1st. I agree Vancouver needs to be careful.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
“On defence there’s (Mattias) Backman, (Alexey) Marchenko, (Xavier) Ouellet, (Ryan) Sproul. Up front you’ve got Mantha and Teemu Pulkinnen, there’s Landon Ferraro and the ones we already saw last year. Then were turning pro a guy like (Barrie Colts forward Andreas) Athanasiou. We’ve got the 15th pick in the draft, so we’re going to add another good prospect to our talent pool.”.”
Sounds like they're not going to trade the pick.

Also, Babcock did an interview earlier and he makes a point to say "We don't trade our picks anymore." Not definitive, but I think it's saying something.

Here's the interview: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=626038&catid=-6

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
I'm hoping to land one of: Tuch, Scherbak, or Barbashev

Nylander/Ehlers as dream droppers. Fleury also may be the one to get if he's still available.

McCann's stock has risen but I'm not too sold on him. I don't know much about him either. Is he really as good as other say?

Tuch seems to be valued around 12-17 whereas the others seem to go 20+. No one can reach any kind of consensus as to where anybody will go this year.

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
I would actually like Fabbri where we are picking. He scored 45 goals as a C and has mad wheels. We seem to have a lot of C's that are pass first - it would be nice to have a C with a Jeff Carter shoot first mentality - even if the kid is only 5'10 and maxes out at 5'11.

Otherwise I like Barbashev. The guy has no holes in his game. Is responsible, 6'0, plays a two way game. I totally see him turning into a 2C potentially.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Thank Ken Holland for that chance. Hopefully we can get a legit top 6 center prospect this year.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Ho-Sang. Love it. Kids got confidence. Hes got arrogance definitely. I'd take him with 15 if available.

So long as he can back up what hes talking.

Didnt Mantha have some similar(far less arrogance obviously).

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Ho-Sang is a player that I'd take iif we were to trade back and he was still available with the 2nd pick.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Sadly it doesnt always work out. Similar sort of player in Australian Rules Football drafted last year. He was smashing it in the lower leagues (playing against men) but was undrafted his draft year due to attitude issues. He managed to show how great he was on the field the next year, gets drafted but only last 6 months in a professional system before he got quit/kicked out(depending on who you talk to).

I guess it would be too much of a risk for the Wings with their first top 15 pick in forever.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Ho-Sang. Love it. Kids got confidence. Hes got arrogance definitely. I'd take him with 15 if available.

So long as he can back up what hes talking.

Didnt Mantha have some similar(far less arrogance obviously).

No Mantha had consistency issues people said he took shifts off but that is his play style. Ho-Sang scares me with the 15th overall pick as their are going to be some prospects without question marks to a certain degree.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
The curious case of controversial NHL prospect Joshua Ho-Sang

Good read on Ho-Sang. I think he's going to fall quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing, I can definitely see why certain teams would find him off-putting.

Said Ho-Sang, in a lengthy interview: “If I was a general manager and had first pick in the draft, I’d pick me No. 1 ... In three years, I’ll be the best player in this draft. And I have no doubt about that. I know myself. I know the other players. I believe in my ability. There are guys ranked ahead of me who are nowhere near me.

Of course, these kids are all pretty young and I know I had some questionable decision-making at that age. The brain just isn't fully developed at that point.

Maybe the Wings development program could do him well. At 15 though, I'm quite reluctant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad