Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Discussion II (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think it all depends. A lot can change on draft day.

I wouldn't look too much into comments hinting they will, or wont trade down. That could go out the window in a heartbeat on draft day.

Yeah, right now I look at all that stuff as posturing.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
So he is saying he is a kid and acts like a kid, but when he goes pro he will act like a pro? I don't see the problem.

Because its not just a switch that he can flip, it's more then just the immaturity too its his attitude. He seems like the kind of guy who can get by because of his talent but once he goes up against better competition he doesnt have the work ethic or attitude to succeed.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Ho-Sang comes across to me like he's got a nasty sense of entitlement. I would stay far away. He might mature, but he might not. Seems like the type who would make a lot of demands. If he plays poorly and gets benched he'll blame others and/or pout. Then demand a trade. I have no interest in divas/narcissists, I think they're poison to a team.

I know this sounds harsh, but I'm thinking worst case scenario. I'd rather err on the side of caution with Ho-Sang, total pass.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ho-Sang comes across to me like he's got a nasty sense of entitlement. I would stay far away. He might mature, but he might not. Seems like the type who would make a lot of demands. If he plays poorly and gets benched he'll blame others and/or pout. Then demand a trade. I have no interest in divas/narcissists, I think they're poison to a team.

I know this sounds harsh, but I'm thinking worst case scenario. I'd rather err on the side of caution with Ho-Sang, total pass.

That's what I got from the article, too. He seems to blame a lot of his own shortcomings on others rather than himself.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Little subtle, but he did say ''we don't have a 2nd rounder, as we speak''. I think they'll trade someone or, most likely, they'll trade their 15th for some lower picks.

Loose transcription, 12:44 - 13:28:

Wright said:
"We're real excited that we're gonna get real good player at 15. We think there's gonna be, I wouldn't say a kid slides to us, but we think within this draft that we're gonna get a good player.

Now, do we have the luxury of moving back and getting a 2nd round pick? That's obviously, you know it's almost been a trademark, a little bit of what Ken - he did it last year, he still got Mantha and picked up Bertuzzi by doing it, so can you get another player? Yeah, if the stars align and it works out perfect, but the cards that we're dealt with right now, we're picking 15 and we're pretty excited with what we're gonna get."

He also confirms BPA vs. positional need, saying that if you "draft by position, you start leaving good players out there."

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Positional need has jack crap to do with BPA.

BPA means you take the highest rated player on your board regardless of position.

It means you take talent over positional need.

So you don't take Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because you need a center

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So impressed about Fabbri. Hopefully he isn't taken at TOP14.

He could be that great point-producing smallish 5'10-5'11 center to continue our Yzerman-Larionov-Draper-Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Helm -center legacy (all 5'11 at maximum), which hasn't been any kind of handbrake for our organizational success. Maybe the opposite.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
What that article points out IMO that Ho-Sang is intelligent enough to eventually change. I think he's being unfairly penciled in as the NBA-type egomaniac, when really he couldn't be more different. Instead, they're dealing with a bright kid who insists on being treated like an adult. and the junior hockey world is not really prepared for that. It's set up to serve the yes-sir-no-sir type of slightly dim Canadian teen.

I think this is more a test of organization than it is anything else. Who will be accommodating enough to develop Ho-Sang, who essentially wants to be treated like an adult? If he can find a team that doesn't try to break him, he'll excel. and I think anybody who does try to break him is going to end up trading him with a bitter taste in their mouth.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The more I read about it the more I think McCann will be a 3C, and that's not how you use a 15th overall pick, please pick someone else.

Where are you reading that?

Most of what I have read says he has all the tools to be more than a 3C.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Who cares? He's talented. Very talented.
Talent isn't everything in a team sport. You have to be able to play with others and make others around you better while not throwing team mates under the bus every chance you get.
So he is saying he is a kid and acts like a kid, but when he goes pro he will act like a pro? I don't see the problem.
He says he currently does everything in his power to play hockey yet didn't show up to a couple mandatory practices that lead to a game suspension. Just seems a bit hypocritical. If you are going to say something then you better do the thing you say are going to do. Just like a poster said earlier you can't just switch a personality like a light switch it doesn't work that way.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
The more I read about it the more I think McCann will be a 3C, and that's not how you use a 15th overall pick, please pick someone else.

I see him as a 2C personally and would like him at 15th overall but I think he gets snagged before us.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
TSN guys, for instance his numbers are checking-center numbers.
It's a bit weirder than that. Jared McCann had really low icetime for his team for a draft-eligible prospect. He supposedly played on his team's third line. The estimate for his icetime based on official records puts him at about 90th in the DRAFT for icetime. So, questions: did his coach do that because he sucked? or because it created favorable matchups for them? Are Jared McCann's numbers really representative of what he can do, or is he going to explode when he gets used properly?

It's a bit of a weird situation, but he's got lots of raw offensive talent. He's not your typical third line center prospect in any way other than his desire to take care of his own end. Really, he's more of a project than you want third line centers to be: he's scrawny, very inconsistent, and yet also highly skilled. I contrast him with Conner Bleackley, who really is that prototypical third line type guy. Bleackley is a huge guy for his height, very filled out, and is a steady presence on the ice. Not the greatest of tools, but he's effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad