Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Discussion II (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Was just editing my post on Larkin so I'll post it here.

-----

Larkin is about 6'0-6'1 so I wouldn't say he's big. He was good on faceoffs and skated well at the U18's but didn't really show anything special offensively. Don't know if he's worth it at #15...

From the USA U18 team I would probably pick both Tuch and maybe even Milano (close) over Larkin. Tuch has great size and moves well, and Milano brings more offense which is kind of what DET needs right now over depth guys. Not saying Larkin is bad but I think those two would add more to the DET prospect pool right now.

My pick at #15 would however be Fiala if he's still there. Unbelievable skill, a real difference maker.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm just proud to have one of my threads get big enough to necessitate a second one. I've truly hit the HFboards bigtime! I'll have to get an agent.

But seriously, I think this draft might be a bit underrated. There are a fair amount of promising players with questionable knocks on them (examples: Ho-Sang, Nylander, Virtanen). It's not entirely unreasonable to think that some of those knocks are undeserved.

For forwards, anyway. There just isn't enough defensive depth. Although I am a bit intrigued by Marcus Pettersson. He's supposed to be a wiz offensively and at something ridiculous like 6'4, 160 lbs, he's got a lot of development ahead of him. He could be the type of project that makes a scout look like a genius.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think a bunch of teams will end up kicking themselves for not drafting Nikita Scherbak. I hope we aren't one of them.

I mean look at Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kucherov. Taken at 16, 26, and 58.

"The Russian factor" makes it possible to get top 10 talent later in the draft. I don't think it's that risky, and teams have been hitting home runs. I want in on the action.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
What about Honka? He's an offensive minded D with a right-handed shot to boot. Looks a little bit like a Ryan Ellis type player.

From EliteProspects :
Honka is a small offensive-minded blueliner who skates very well with strong lateral movements and agility. He's extremely elusive and hard to contain or catch. He possesses good recovery speed and quick on the transition from defense to offense. (August 2013)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Was just editing my post on Larkin so I'll post it here.

-----

Larkin is about 6'0-6'1 so I wouldn't say he's big. He was good on faceoffs and skated well at the U18's but didn't really show anything special offensively. Don't know if he's worth it at #15...

From the USA U18 team I would probably pick both Tuch and maybe even Milano (close) over Larkin. Tuch has great size and moves well, and Milano brings more offense which is kind of what DET needs right now over depth guys. Not saying Larkin is bad but I think those two would add more to the DET prospect pool right now.

My pick at #15 would however be Fiala if he's still there. Unbelievable skill, a real difference maker.

What Detroit needs right now, will not be immediately addressed with out first round pick. Whoever we take will still be 3-4 years away from making an NHL debut in all likelihood.

While I don't think he is the only logical choice for the first-round pick, we could certainly do worse than Larkin as Zetterberg4captain mentioned. He doesn't have a flashy style, but I don't interpret it as a lack of skill. Most of the flashy stuff that works in juniors doesn't fly in the pro game anyways.

Fiala is an interesting option. I won't deny the skill, but I wish he had better feet. I have only watched him on the big sheet and am curious how he would look on a smaller surface. He certainly seems to be trending in the right direction. He probably isn't my first choice of a wing, but I agree he is logical at 15.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
What Detroit needs right now, will not be immediately addressed with out first round pick. Whoever we take will still be 3-4 years away from making an NHL debut in all likelihood.

While I don't think he is the only logical choice for the first-round pick, we could certainly do worse than Larkin as Zetterberg4captain mentioned. He doesn't have a flashy style, but I don't interpret it as a lack of skill. Most of the flashy stuff that works in juniors doesn't fly in the pro game anyways.

Fiala is an interesting option. I won't deny the skill, but I wish he had better feet. I have only watched him on the big sheet and am curious how he would look on a smaller surface. He certainly seems to be trending in the right direction. He probably isn't my first choice of a wing, but I agree he is logical at 15.
I meant Detroit in terms of the entire organisation, and especially the prospect pool. I agree, we could do much worse than Larkin but I think we could trade down from 15 and still pick a player of similar talent. Despite the talk about a weak draft there will be a bunch of good players available even after #15.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Potential targets for the Wings

And St. James tossed off some names that may or may not have originated from Holland himself:

Possible first-round options for the Wings next month include forwards Nikolaj Ehlers, Alex Tuch, Kevin Fiala, Dylan Larkin, Robert Fabbri and Sonny Milano. All are among the 119 players invited to the combine.

kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-overnight-report-destroy-every-pie-you-touch-chapter-2-pie-pie-pi

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Potential targets for the Wings

Ehlers will be gone from the looks of it, otherwise you take him and run. He's frequently compared to Jeff Skinner and produced very well this season even without Drouin on his line.

Tuch is a big bodied winger, and might be tempting to jump on after getting shoved around by Boston, but I think I still prefer the smaller players with more upside. Given the past success of our development program, I like the sound of guys like Fabbri, Fiala, Scherbak, and HoSang. Highly-skilled players with some question marks. Everything I read about perceived safe picks like McCann and Larkin screams to me "Younger David Legwand". If you get another Patrice Bergeron, that's a different story...

And as much as I'd like to address the center position, I suppose a BPA strategy (provided it pans out) has more long-term value and can be exchanged later for positions of need.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
or almqvist.

no thanks.

get someone who has skill AND size.

Torey Krug is doing well for himself, but you need the type of organization that's willing to give some of these guys a chance in the first place.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ehlers will be gone from the looks of it, otherwise you take him and run. He's frequently compared to Jeff Skinner and produced very well this season even without Drouin on his line.

Tuch is a big bodied winger, and might be tempting to jump on after getting shoved around by Boston, but I think I still prefer the smaller players with more upside. Given the past success of our development program, I like the sound of guys like Fabbri, Fiala, Scherbak, and HoSang. Highly-skilled players with some question marks. Everything I read about perceived safe picks like McCann and Larkin screams to me "Younger David Legwand". If you get another Patrice Bergeron, that's a different story...

And as much as I'd like to address the center position, I suppose a BPA strategy (provided it pans out) has more long-term value and can be exchanged later for positions of need.

Wings haven't drafted a Russian forward in forever, which I think is stupid, but I doubt they'll take Scherbak.

Interesting to me that the list of players Detroit is rumored to be interested in is comprises mostly of wingers. Given how weak we are at center for prospects.

I have a feeling they will draft Fabbri or one of the Americans (Tuch, Larkin, Milano)

Milano sounds interesting, his scouting report sounds just like Nyquist.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Wings haven't drafted a Russian forward in forever, which I think is stupid, but I doubt they'll take Scherbak.

I think they shy away from drafting Russians that aren't committed to the NHL. Most times that means coming over and playing in the CHL but ,IIRC, last year the Wings had Valeri Nichushkin rate quite high and said he was the best Russian prospect since Ovi.

or almqvist.

no thanks.

get someone who has skill AND size.

Almqvist's problem is that he doesn't have above average or elite skating to go with his other skills. If he had even above average skating he would be projecting to be almost Brian Campbell like.

Last I heard Honka's got great skating to go along with his offensive abilities.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think they shy away from drafting Russians that aren't committed to the NHL. Most times that means coming over and playing in the CHL but ,IIRC, last year the Wings had Valeri Nichushkin rate quite high and said he was the best Russian prospect since Ovi.

Almqvist's problem is that he doesn't have above average or elite skating to go with his other skills. If he had even above average skating he would be projecting to be almost Brian Campbell like.

Last I heard Honka's got great skating to go along with his offensive abilities.

Eh, they haven't drafted a forward from Russia since 2004. I'll believe it when I see it.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Torey Krug is doing well for himself, but you need the type of organization that's willing to give some of these guys a chance in the first place.

Krug is a better defensive player. He plays bigger than he is, he's sturdier on his skates. Almquist's height isn't really the problem, it's the weight and style of play. He's just too weak/soft in the D-zone. At 170lbs soaking wet he'd get rag dolled against hard forechecking teams like the Kings, Bruins, Blues, etc. You can get away with being a forward that small if you have enough skill but not a defenseman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Krug is a better defensive player. He plays bigger than he is, he's sturdier on his skates. Almquist's height isn't really the problem, it's the weight and style of play. He's just too weak/soft in the D-zone. At 170lbs soaking wet he'd get rag dolled against hard forechecking teams like the Kings, Bruins, Blues, etc. You can get away with being a forward that small if you have enough skill but not a defenseman.

The people close to the team (beat writers) all seem to think Almquist isn't in the Wings plans, and figure he'll go back to Europe.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Interesting to me that the list of players Detroit is rumored to be interested in is comprises mostly of wingers. Given how weak we are at center for prospects.

I have a feeling they will draft Fabbri or one of the Americans (Tuch, Larkin, Milano)

Milano sounds interesting, his scouting report sounds just like Nyquist.

Kind of not surprised at this point. This may be our highest pick in a long time, but it's still not high enough to draft based on need. Not with this draft class. Whoever we get will be in the lineup in 3 years at the earliest Id imagine. Who knows what we look like then.

Jul 30, 2005
Everything I read about perceived safe picks like McCann and Larkin screams to me "Younger David Legwand". If you get another Patrice Bergeron, that's a different story...
IMO, Larkin is more like Abdelkader-meets-Helm-meets-skill. Remember, Abby used to be a well-regarded power forward prospect before his offense somehow dried up. So imagine the Helm of this season (and his solid offensive contribution) with a bit less speed, but more grit and hands.

and McCann seems very skilled, but a bit inconsistent. He has a lot of tools that a Legwand-type player would not, I think.

Then again, maybe I'm being reactive because I have Legwand playing 4th line winger still in my mind. It sounds like we're saying Legwand isn't a good player, when in reality he just wasn't a good player here. a 50 point two-way center is a helluva find in the draft... at least other than second overall, I mean.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
IMO, Larkin is more like Abdelkader-meets-Helm-meets-skill. Remember, Abby used to be a well-regarded power forward prospect before his offense somehow dried up. So imagine the Helm of this season (and his solid offensive contribution) with a bit less speed, but more grit and hands.

and McCann seems very skilled, but a bit inconsistent. He has a lot of tools that a Legwand-type player would not, I think.

Then again, maybe I'm being reactive because I have Legwand playing 4th line winger still in my mind. It sounds like we're saying Legwand isn't a good player, when in reality he just wasn't a good player here. a 50 point two-way center is a helluva find in the draft... at least other than second overall, I mean.

I think it is all about expectation. Some people think it is easy to do better than Legwand in the draft, even from the 15 spot. Mind you Legwand was selected second overall in his draft class. I personally don't think we are going to find a first-line forward in this draft class at the 15 spot. I would consider a good, productive second-line forward a success, which is why I would love to see McCann on the board at 15. According the combine thread, we interviewed Larkin today FWIW.

Jul 30, 2005
I think it is all about expectation. Some people think it is easy to do better than Legwand in the draft, even from the 15 spot. Mind you Legwand was selected second overall in his draft class. I personally don't think we are going to find a first-line forward in this draft class at the 15 spot. I would consider a good, productive second-line forward a success, which is why I would love to see McCann on the board at 15. According the combine thread, we interviewed Larkin today FWIW.
Indeed:

Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL 7m
USNTDP's Dylan Larkin, No. 17 on @NHLCentralScout final list, has interviews w/ all 30 NHL teams at NHL Combine.
Not surprising. He's a pro-style player with good skating, defensive play, and some skill. Seems like the sort of guy who can go much higher if a team falls in love with him, a bit like Bo Horvat last year. I think you can view him as a guy who lacks that dynamic offensive upside and ignore him, or you can choose to view him as a minor gamble for a solid second line two-way anchor player who will play PK and PP. We tend to view that as a bad idea draft-wise, but sometimes you need more control and other times you need more offensive punch. It's a roster balance thing, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad