Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Discussion II (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I strongly disagree.

The need for a Right Handed defenseman is far greater than the need for specifically a offensive defenseman for the left side.

We have 3 RH Defenseman in our entire organization, and it's doubtful they all make the Wings. None of the 3 are even that sure of a thing.

Babcock doesn't want one LH-RH pairings. He wants all of his pairings to be LH-RH. He talks about how teams that have that have a distinct advantage on us. He sets his team up that way in the Olympics.

Regardless. Honkka is a much a better offensive defenseman than Petersson. LD, RD, LH, or RH. Honkka and Sproul would give us 2 RH QB's that could PP each unit.

Mckeown is a big two-way defenseman that's right handed. He draws comparisons to Brent Seabrook.

Petersson is way too much of a project for the first round, and wouldn't make sense to take him over either of those guys IMO.

who cares what Babs wants. He will be out of the organization before anyone drafted this year cracks the big club's roster. Petersson would be fine in the second round, maybe in a trade-down with STL.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Backman in his draft year - 20 pts 27 games in the SHL
Petersson in his draft year - 18 pts in 38 games in the SHL

I don't see where this guy has this high end offensive d men potential. Every scouting report other than the one you cited says he projects as a two way defenseman and needs a bunch of work. Sounds like he'd be a good idea for a 3rd or 4th rounder.
He's also still adjusting to the position. Was Backman?

Also, if you don't see where this guy has high end potential, then you didn't read many scouting reports.

He could be a top 4 defender with the ability to quarterback a powerplay

Mr. Up – I am referring to Marcus as Mr. Up not just because of his 6’4 height but also because there is so much potential upside to his game.

Right now, Pettersson projects as more of an offensive defender, especially considering he was converted from the center position. He can unleash a strong and accurate shot, but is also a more than capable playmaker. Some scouts have pointed out his natural offensive instincts as well as his above average hockey sense.

Defensively, Pettersson is a work in progress but with sound coaching, many believe he can develop into an impact defenseman at the next level. Brendan Ross
Depending on what you take "impact" to mean...

Marcus Pettersson, D – Skelleftea (Swe.)
One scout said Pettersson has the most upside of any European in the draft. A big kid who covers a lot of ground, Pettersson has an edge to his game and can move the puck pretty decently. He has a ways to go, but he’s already playing up with the men in Skelleftea after a successful start to the campaign in junior. Draft eligible in 2014.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
who cares what Babs wants. He will be out of the organization before anyone drafted this year cracks the big club's roster. Petersson would be fine in the second round, maybe in a trade-down with STL.

Because regardless of if Babcock likes it or not. It makes it much easier to move the puck up ice, keep pucks in the zone, and open up one timers.

It's not like only Babcock likes having LH-RH pairings. Most smart coaches understand why it's important.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I guess just agree to disagree then.

If I wanted an offensive defenseman, Id go with Honka.

I'd rather not trade down and have our first pick in the draft be as much of a boom or bust project, at a position I already think we're more than fine at.

Jul 30, 2005

I'd rather not trade down and have our first pick in the draft be as much of a boom or bust project, at a position I already think we're more than fine at.
Really, is there a position we aren't more than fine at? As far as prospect depth goes, we're in luxury land.

We've got our goalie-of-the-future, we've got a top six center, we've got a blue-chip scorer, we've got oodles of top six wingers. We've got two potential top six LD, two top six RD, and then some scraps. We've got checking line forwards, too! Bertuzzi, Nastasiuk, Callahan. We've got projects/gambles: Janmark, Frk, McNulty, even Pope and Melen. McKee and Coreau, too. We even have backups-of-the-future, if anybody ever wanted that kind of thing.

I don't think this team has any real "needs" at this point. There are only wants.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really, is there a position we aren't more than fine at? As far as prospect depth goes, we're in luxury land.

We've got our goalie-of-the-future, we've got a top six center, we've got a blue-chip scorer, we've got oodles of top six wingers. We've got two potential top six LD, two top six RD, and then some scraps. We've got checking line forwards, too! Bertuzzi, Nastasiuk, Callahan. We've got projects/gambles: Janmark, Frk, McNulty, even Pope and Melen. McKee and Coreau, too. We even have backups-of-the-future, if anybody ever wanted that kind of thing.

I don't think this team has any real "needs" at this point. There are only wants.

I would say top 6 center and top 4 RHD would be biggest organizational needs. Top 6 center more in the future, like 4+ years from now. Top 4 RHD would be biggest need for the immediate future.

As far as prospects go, we are noticeably weak at center. We have Sheahan, and that's it.

Also power forwards, or players with grit. We have some, we could use more. Ones that have more skill to go with it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

This I agree with. I don't have the appetite for that much risk either, especially with our highest pick in decades.

Regarding Honka v. Petersson, IF the scouting staff concluded that Petersson had more upside, I hope they wouldn't pass on him in favor of Honka simply because the later is right handed. Just my 2 cents.

For the record, I don't want to spend our first pick on a defensemen.

Jul 30, 2005
This I agree with. I don't have the appetite for that much risk either, especially with our highest pick in decades.

Regarding Honka v. Petersson, IF the scouting staff concluded that Petersson had more upside, I hope they wouldn't pass on him in favor of Honka simply because the later is right handed. Just my 2 cents.
Honka vs Pettersson is tough for me, because I would totally change my username to Orange Julius if we drafted (Julius) Honka.

There would be a whole run on food-related nicknames. Tatar is the sauce, Jurco is the juice, Nyquist is the goose, Abdelkader is... apple-gator, both of which you can eat. We'd really just need to get Sheahan a good food-related one. Something irish?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Has the lack of RD been exposed?

Or has the lack of quality been exposed? It's funny how the solution to those two problems ends up about the same.

well yeah it's both. but getting more RH is easier than the other.

and hard forechecking teams definitely managed to expose red wings to certain extent on lidströms and rafalski's final years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honka vs Pettersson is tough for me, because I would totally change my username to Orange Julius if we drafted (Julius) Honka.

There would be a whole run on food-related nicknames. Tatar is the sauce, Jurco is the juice, Nyquist is the goose, Abdelkader is... apple-gator, both of which you can eat. We'd really just need to get Sheahan a good food-related one. Something irish?

Haha, that would be sweet.

If only we could draft a center with our 1st round pick, and still have a 2nd for Petersson. Those pesky predators will probably pick petersson in rd 2.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
When you compare the level of talent that will be available in defensemen in this year's draft around when the Wings will probably pick, to the level of talent in forwards that should be available in that same range, I think picking a forward is really the way to go in the first round. The defensemen in that area just aren't as impressive.

Defense is the area where the Wings need a change most, but it's such a pressing need that maybe drafting will take too long. Maybe it's more of a need which, at the moment, is best addressed by trading or signing a free-agent, anyway.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When you compare the level of talent that will be available in defensemen in this year's draft around when the Wings will probably pick, to the level of talent in forwards that should be available in that same range, I think picking a forward is really the way to go in the first round. The defensemen in that area just aren't as impressive.

Defense is the area where the Wings need a change most, but it's such a pressing need that maybe drafting will take too long. Maybe it's more of a need which, at the moment, is best addressed by trading or signing a free-agent, anyway.

It is hardly a pressing need at our prospect level. I get the concern on the big club, but D versus wingers is the big fight in terms of what is better. We could use some centers, though I think you go BPA regardless with the 15th overall.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 1 t
Brendan Lemieux (son of Claude) models himself after his dad. Had a great interview with the (wait for it) Detroit Red Wings.
Not surprised. After the Bertuzzi pick I could see them having interest in Lemieux too.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 1 t
Brendan Lemieux (son of Claude) models himself after his dad. Had a great interview with the (wait for it) Detroit Red Wings.

I say go for it. I'm surprised I haven't heard his name at all when it comes to this draft, considering his dad and his latest playoff performance. He seems like a pretty good player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we're going the famous gene route, Id rather go for Ryan Macinnis. **** Claude Lemieux, and his offspring too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If I could have a signature on HF, I would want this to be it.

Even if I wouldn't mind Lemieux. :laugh:

Lol. I guess if he was a good player we could live with it?

Would just be so weird to draft the #1 Red Wings villains son.
Just feels wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad