WC: 2014 Division IB • Apr. 20-26 • General Discussion (Mod warning post 453)

Lynx54321

Mar 5, 2014
That's such a shame. And it gives us a massive disadvantage compared to say Poland who played an EIHC tournament in February and probably worked on everything that is seeing them sweep all before them now.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I forgot to mention this earlier but I understand why Tait made the roster this year.

As soon as I heard that he was hitting game #100 in a GB uniform, it made sense. They were giving him the chance to hit that milestone.

On one hand, it sucks that he took a spot away from a younger player. On the other hand, it was pretty classy.

With that said, if Tait makes the roster again next year, I'll be baffled lol

Lynx54321

Mar 5, 2014
Any very early predictions for next years roster?

McCluskey and Griffin will surely come onto the D with Swindlehurst playing a more prominent role too. Weaver will make way and then one from Meyers and Phillips?

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
So who woulda guessed before the beginning of the tournament with alot of the higher class skaters not being in the Cro NT that we would be fighting for the medals?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I forgot to mention this earlier but I understand why Tait made the roster this year.

As soon as I heard that he was hitting game #100 in a GB uniform, it made sense. They were giving him the chance to hit that milestone.

On one hand, it sucks that he took a spot away from a younger player. On the other hand, it was pretty classy.

With that said, if Tait makes the roster again next year, I'll be baffled lol

Oh no, he's a well known veteran who has been around for years, he would've made the roster anyway

If Tony Hand was still in charge his best mate David Longstaff probably would've probably been picked

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Oh no, he's a well known veteran who has been around for years, he would've made the roster anyway

If Tony Hand was still in charge his best mate David Longstaff probably would've probably been picked

Tony Hand isn't still in charge lol

If Paul Thompson was in charge, he'd probably stay loyal to his Coventry guys and take Tait & Weaver too :laugh: but if they were willing to bring young Swindlehurst > Mark Thomas and his 30+ games with GB, then I have to think they're willing to continue going young.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Hope that Romania will be able to stay in this division, even if they are outsiders and with damages after the match against Lithuania.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
Hey Pathiic as a goalie coach what do you make of Tomljenovic?

Well its hard to tell how he will do, if he's good enough for the higher leagues. Dont have much sample size.

I can rate him a decent goalie that could have a bright future if he keeps up developing.
He's only 19-20? a goalie's prime is really around the 25th marker with todays standard (was 28-29 before)

He did well in this tournament. However i think the Polen game showed roughy where his level is even though he got shelled. did some nice saves here and there though.

Not seen him outside of this championship but looking at his stats i'd say he still needs time.

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
He's literally the worst commentator I've ever heard, I have no idea why they continue to employ this guy

I would honestly rather listen to Brent Pope

Thank F for someone agreeing haha. Cant stand him and his nonsense blabbering. Half the time i was wondering if he saw team "GBBBBBBBBBBB" as an allstar NHL team with his comments..

Brent Pope didnt speak much but he would've been hell of a lot better than the main dude.:help:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I don't know if anyone mentioned but Estonia will be the promoted team to D1B next year while South Korea is relegated to D1B.

Next year tournament will be

South Korea
Lithuania
Great Britain
Croatia
Estonia
Netherlands

Pathiic

Mar 13, 2014
Norway
Poland to start their backup, Kamil Kosowski.

He was one of the 19 Cardiff goalies this year.

Only 19? haha.

i must say that EIHF Teams has been rather unforgiving for alot of goalies.
Take Phil Osaer for example, he played for Cardiff last year and he is a rather good goalie and he got kicked out and went back to Norway (not like thats a negative thing for us)
EIHF reminds me alot of Russians KHL in terms of escape goats. If things dont go well, fire the goalie.
And in most cases its the people infront of them thats the main issue.
Think a team especially Cardiff is ignoring that greatly if they've gone through 19 goalies

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Only 19? haha.

i must say that EIHF Teams has been rather unforgiving for alot of goalies.
Take Phil Osaer for example, he played for Cardiff last year and he is a rather good goalie and he got kicked out and went back to Norway (not like thats a negative thing for us)
EIHF reminds me alot of Russians KHL in terms of escape goats. If things dont go well, fire the goalie.
And in most cases its the people infront of them thats the main issue.
Think a team especially Cardiff is ignoring that greatly if they've gone through 19 goalies

*EIHL

It was exaggerated lol but they changed up their coach/management and signed Ben Bowns so I don't think the revolving door of goalies will continue.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Did I miss something in the other games? Ben Davies moved to 4th line and they're still playing Ashley Tait like a first line player? B. Davies has been one of the more productive forwards and easily one of the hardest working.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Listening to the British announcers pronounce Polish names makes me think they would be better off just saying #8, #15 and so on or not naming players at all.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I like that they changed up the D pairings.

O'Connor with Lee has been way more effective than Weaver-Lee.

Also found it funny how Ben Davies got Rob Dowds spot on the Shields-Lachowicz line when Dowd got hurt and immediately gets an assist lol

These refs suck, they can't even get out of the way of the players half the time in the corner.

Lynx54321

Mar 5, 2014
Lads I've just got in, someone give me a summary of what's happened! I see it's 2-1 to GB, better than I expected.

And again someone please link me to an English speaking stream!

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Lads I've just got in, someone give me a summary of what's happened! I see it's 2-1 to GB, better than I expected.

And again someone please link me to an English speaking stream!

I don't know if you have acestream but it's the best thing I've used for GB streams yet:
http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=258304&part=sports

You can get it at acestream.org if you don't have it.

First period was dominated by Poland but Bowns kept them in it. A couple huge saves and then stopping the shots he should stop, kept it 0-0.

2nd period dominated by GB for the most part. Managed to score a couple, 1 was a lucky bounce that came out front and Shields batted it in. The other was a shot from the high slot by Shields, top corner.

All the PP's are going to Poland and they finally put one in with a big slap shot from the point.

GB PP had a couple chances but it's been pretty bad as usual. Still can't figure out how Weaver is always used as PP QB #1 with O'Connor on the bench.

Lynx54321

Mar 5, 2014
Ah thanks mate for both the stream and the summary.

Yeah agree with you about Weaver, O'Connor to me is our classiest player by some distance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad