2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This ownership group has not been one to buyout big contracts. Can't see that changing with RJ, even if it is the right decision.

Wasn't there a certain red-haired player we bought out? Wasn't there two years left with another 7 million?

They won't have another chance at an amnesty buyout.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
We have Jenner, Foligno and Calvert on the left side. Dubinsky plays better at center than wing. So I would actually consider upgrading at right wing. Jettison Umberger. Get a RW with hands, and the Blue Jacket mentality, and move Atkinson down to the third line. Frankly, Callahan is your man. And don't give me this Umberger is better than Callahan crap because I ain't buying.

Jenner - Johansen - Horton
Foligno - Anisimov - Callahan
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Comeau - MacKenzie - Letestu
Tropp
Boll

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think, as a few others have mentioned, that Umbie gets bought out for the main reason is he doesn't fit anywhere and there is a glut of roster players. We need a spot or two to upgrade.

All of the following are due to be re-signed either this year or next:

Joey - no debate

Mackenzie - I'd keep him but not 100% and anyway he is not a guy you let go to keep UMbie.

Dubi- pretty much a no-brainer unless he asks for the moon

Foligno- same

Atkinson- I'd say definitely qualified and most likely re-signed

Calvert -same as Cam

Jenner signed for 2 more years and a most likely no brainer afterwards

Horton- he's here forever

Arty -signed for two more years and then I say he's 50/50 depending on the next two years

Letestu- next year a great 4th liner who can play up in the line-up

Boll- signed for three more years

That's 11 forwards who to me look like they could be here for a while

Add in Rychel, Wennberg,Dano & Bjorkstrand

Add in that elusive scoring forward to be obtained thru either trade or UFA and that's way too many guys over the next few years.

I think Umbie is gone and the 4.6 mill it will save in total will be put to better use. Of course he could be involved in a trade if would waive his NTC. That would be even better.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I would remake the D before I would sign a forward. We need a PP QB/puck mover and could also use a mean version of Murray.
Any chance Erixon replaces Nikitin?

Any interest in Andrew Macdonald and or Mark Fayne. Macdonald seems like a shot blocking type defensemen. Not sure what type of player Fayne is but some people on the main trade boards were pumping his tires. Both due for a large raise though.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Any chance Erixon replaces Nikitin?

Any interest in Andrew Macdonald and or Mark Fayne. Macdonald seems like a shot blocking type defensemen. Not sure what type of player Fayne is but some people on the main trade boards were pumping his tires. Both due for a large raise though.

I think so. If we sign Nikitin that creates a major log jam and I am pretty sure Erixon will be waiver eligible next year and I don't think we want to lose him for the waiver price. I know he hasn't played the required number of games, but I think he falls under the three year rule.

I don't see interest in those other guys unless we trade one of our other D-men.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I think, as a few others have mentioned, that Umbie gets bought out for the main reason is he doesn't fit anywhere and there is a glut of roster players. We need a spot or two to upgrade.

All of the following are due to be re-signed either this year or next:

Joey - no debate

Mackenzie - I'd keep him but not 100% and anyway he is not a guy you let go to keep UMbie.

Dubi- pretty much a no-brainer unless he asks for the moon

Foligno- same

Atkinson- I'd say definitely qualified and most likely re-signed

Calvert -same as Cam

Jenner signed for 2 more years and a most likely no brainer afterwards

Horton- he's here forever

Arty -signed for two more years and then I say he's 50/50 depending on the next two years

Letestu- next year a great 4th liner who can play up in the line-up

Boll- signed for three more years

That's 11 forwards who to me look like they could be here for a while

Add in that elusive scoring forward to be obtained thru either trade or UFA and that's way too many guys over the next few years.

I think Umbie is gone and the 4.6 mill it will save in total will be put to better use. Of course he could be involved in a trade if would waive his NTC. That would be even better.

won't argue with any of your analysis regarding resigning. But trades involving some of those guys may happen- I think we *still* don't know JK's M.O.

I really want to keep DMac, I love that guy. I'd keep Calvert over Cam. I think Cam could return us more than he provides. Just my .02

Cbus1979

Jan 18, 2014
Im certain JD is going to build this organization similar to st louis..or detroit.I cant imagine any of our prospects being traded..especially the 3 1st rounders from last draft.To build a sustained success you have to keep and develop your young talent.Detroit is probably the best example.Look at toronto..they have been arguably as bad as the blue jackets the last 10 years only making the playoffs once..yet they mortgage their future for the quick fix.Smart teams like detroit and chicago build off their draft and add 1-2 studs like hossa to put then over the top.We could sign a hossa ,that would be sweet

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Im certain JD is going to build this organization similar to st louis..or detroit.I cant imagine any of our prospects being traded..especially the 3 1st rounders from last draft.To build a sustained success you have to keep and develop your young talent.Detroit is probably the best example.Look at toronto..they have been arguably as bad as the blue jackets the last 10 years only making the playoffs once..yet they mortgage their future for the quick fix.Smart teams like detroit and chicago build off their draft and add 1-2 studs like hossa to put then over the top.We could sign a hossa ,that would be sweet

I don't think Marcel wants to leave the KHL :sarcasm: :laugh:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

I don't think Rychel or Dano are ready at all. Wennberg (I think) can use one more year. Jackets have good center depth, and I think one more full year with Frolunda would be ideal.

But Bjorkstrand.....the Jackets need a scoring line RW and that's him. 50 goals in the WHL this year and 15 pts in 8 playoff games so far. I think if you play him with Arty and Foligno with their size, that could be a nice line.

I wouldn't want to give Callahan $5+ million for 20 goals a year.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think Rychel or Dano are ready at all. Wennberg (I think) can use one more year. Jackets have good center depth, and I think one more full year with Frolunda would be ideal.

But Bjorkstrand.....the Jackets need a scoring line RW and that's him. 50 goals in the WHL this year and 15 pts in 8 playoff games so far. I think if you play him with Arty and Foligno with their size, that could be a nice line.

Dano and Rychel will see the NHL before Bjorkstrand, unless he blows everyone out of the water in camp.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I wasn't trying to imply that they or any of the prospects would or should be here next year. I was just trying to say that over the next 3 years if Umbie stays, there is a glut of forwards and to me he is the one that needs to go. With a compliance buyout its now or never to save cap hit and yearly cash flow to help pay for extensions and hopefully an acquisition.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I don't see the draftees being ready yet either. Bjorkstrand is a definite possibility. I do think we need to watch Daniel Zaar in camp this year though.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bjorkstrand with 2 goals in the first period tonite in game one of the Conference Finals. He's going to be electric.

Hope so. We definitely need (at least) another electric forward to go with Joey. Can he grow an inch and add 20 lbs of muscle by Sept? :laugh:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
2 more goals for Bjorkstrand last night, he is playing at a ridiculous level. 14 goals 10 assists and 24 pts in 12 playoff games.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I don't see the draftees being ready yet either. Bjorkstrand is a definite possibility. I do think we need to watch Daniel Zaar in camp this year though.

we have to sign him this offseason first...and what I am hearing is that its not certain...

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
This team needs pure scoring talent. We have a good core of hard working blue collar players that has made it to the playoffs, but just barely. Horton will be nice to have, but he's not an pure scorer. I think if we just stand pat we'll be much the same next year, scrambling and hoping to make a wildcard slot, but not a contender

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
number of contracts limits...he's a good talent, but we (arguably) have better talents in the pipeline...

it also doesn't take a "source" to really see that...with so many picks last year and quite a few this year, we're running out of spots...he and Curcurruto are on the bubble

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
What is the consensus on Jack Skille ? I have to say he has looked pretty good considering he came up from Springfield, instantly to our top line because of injury, anyone think he is resigned ? I would much rather us keep him than a comeu or tropp. Also, there is absolutely no reason to go out and get Callahan. We have a better, cheaper version in Dubinsky. Hopefully we aquire a skilled gritty sniper via trade, wasnt O'reilly rumored to be moved ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad