2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ugh. Doesn't do anything to address our biggest weakness. Plus you add Callahan where does he fit as well as Umberger? This group, as blah pointed out in another thread has too many guys at or near peak to improve much if it stays intact for say 5 years. Some of the current guys are going to have to be replaced to make a serious contender out of the Jackets over the next 3 years or so.

I do agree Mackenzie needs to come back-I don't see us adding a much better 4th line center. I'd hope he signs for around 1.5 -2 for 2 years.
Fair enough. I just think Callahan could be a nice character addition to the room, and a player that once you get in the playoffs is a warrior that knows how to win. That being said, you don't pay 5+million for that.

I'm also in favor of dealing our first round pick for immediate talent. Maybe we can package it with Erixon and other pieces to bring in a top line forward? Maybe a legit top pairing defenseman? I doubt we do it, because of the 'protect the future' of the franchise and the fact they're building for 2 years from now not just tomorrow.

Does everyone think Frattin was included in the Gaborik deal just so it worked out for LA? Or did Jarmo actually want him for this season and in the future? Point that I'm trying to get at is, do we qualify him and keep his rights or don't qualify him and let him become a UFA?

I seriously believe Frattin was just a throw in to make the deal work. I don't think he comes back short of a fantastic playoff run that he's apart of due to injury or something.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
While we're dreaming, here's my dream offseason:

Sign Callahan.
Trade JJ and Cam to the Flames for Giordano
Trade Dubi and a pick to the Oilers for Eberle

Jenner-Johansen-Eberle
Foligno-Anisimov-Horton
Calvert-Letestu-Callahan
Comeau-Mackenzie-Skille/Boll

Giordano-Tyutin
Murray-Wisniewski
Erixon-Savard
Golo/Prout

Bob
C-Mac

This gives us a real #1 D-man, and a whole lot more creativity while still having an overabundance of grit.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

Sign Callahan.

Jenner-Johansen-Eberle
Foligno-Anisimov-Horton
Calvert-Letestu-Callahan

Giordano-Tyutin
Murray-Wisniewski
Erixon-Savard
Golo/Prout

Bob
C-Mac

This gives us a real #1 D-man, and a whole lot more creativity while still having an overabundance of grit.
It's going to take $6 to $7 million a year to land Callahan imo. With that said, I don't want a $6/7 million dollar player on the 3rd line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's going to take $6 to $7 million a year to land Callahan imo. With that said, I don't want a $6/7 million dollar player on the 3rd line.

I do, it gives you a great third scoring line, and with special teams you can still get 17-18 minutes out of him. I also find the line number distinction between the first three lines as a bit arbitrary.

My only issue with Callahan is I don't want to be paying him in that range 4 years down the road when we have better players to resign.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

So dramatic. Yeah, I'm sure that a guy that takes, historically, around 3 shots a game would be playing on our 3rd line.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Another player that I just remembered when I was watching "That's Hockey 2 nite" was Ales Hemsky. Any interest? Looked like he was done in Edmonton but ever since the trade to Ottawa, he's been playing much better. Just on a hot streak or was playing in Edmonton holding him back for whatever reason.

I do, it gives you a great third scoring line, and with special teams you can still get 17-18 minutes out of him. I also find the line number distinction between the first three lines as a bit arbitrary.

My only issue with Callahan is I don't want to be paying him in that range 4 years down the road when we have better players to resign.
Good point
For contract, if it's....
A)7 years but cap hit of $5.5 million a year
vs
B)4 years but cap hit of $7 million a year
Still prefer the 4 years?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Another player that I just remembered when I was watching "That's Hockey 2 nite" was Ales Hemsky. Any interest? Looked like he was done in Edmonton but ever since the trade to Ottawa, he's been playing much better. Just on a hot streak or was playing in Edmonton holding him back for whatever reason.

I do. I think he gives us a dynamic we are missing. Health can be an issue; but I think you're getting a 20 goal 40 assist kind of guy for a reasonable contract.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I do. I think he gives us a dynamic we are missing. Health can be an issue; but I think you're getting a 20 goal 40 assist kind of guy for a reasonable contract.

Possibly. For whatever reason, players of that particular skill set and playing style tend to have very sudden and unusually premature declines. Andrew Cassels, Jozef Stumpel, Alexei Zhamnov, Martin Erat, Saku Koivu, and Scott Gomez all come to mind. If you want to go back a few years, add Craig Janney. That's actually a majority of those type of players; the only ones who have been immune to it (only in terms of age of decline, not in terms of bucking that very clear pattern) are all HOFers or marginal HOFers. These include Doug Weight, Doug Gilmour, and Adam Oates.

That said, I'd still go after Hemsky. I just wouldn't be banking on long-term excellence.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

He's definitely top-liner good, Edmonton is not a good place for a scorer, contrary to conventional wisdom. I do think we need to add some creativity to our lineup and Hemsky can do that, but I only go for him if our other options don't turn up. He's not going to play into any systems we have, he just does his own thing out there.

Good point
For contract, if it's....
A)7 years but cap hit of $5.5 million a year
vs
B)4 years but cap hit of $7 million a year
Still prefer the 4 years?

I'd prefer the 4 years, yes. I don't know if I'd do 7x4 with Callahan, though I would for 2 years. And yes, I do know that his marginal value isn't worth $7 million, but if our choice is either sign him or don't spend it at all I say spend it.

bizzz*

The Jackets just traded Gaborik away cause he "doesn't fit our system" and people are already talking about signing Ales Hemsky? They're so similar at this point of their respective careers that I'm having a hard time to find any differences. Even their numbers after the dead-line are identical. I'm afraid I'd piss my pants laughing if Jarmo goes after Hemsky.

He's going to get 5 for 25. And I would stay the hell away from Callahan. Jackets already have a Callahan named Dubinsky and he plays a more important position and is cheaper and is healthier.

Cheaper for 1 more year. How much Dubi is gonna get next summer?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

That's also part of my point. If you pay a Callahan what he wants, can you keep the guys that have played well for Columbus? Give me a guy like Dubi who is 2 years younger, stays healthier and plays center.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Jackets just traded Gaborik away cause he "doesn't fit our system" and people are already talking about signing Ales Hemsky? They're so similar at this point of their respective careers that I'm having a hard time to find any differences. Even their numbers after the dead-line are identical. I'm afraid I'd piss my pants laughing if Jarmo goes after Hemsky.

That is going to be an interesting discussion, I'm sure. If he looks for Callahan $ and term then it could very well be bye-bye Dubi.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He's going to get 5 for 25. And I would stay the hell away from Callahan.

I wish him and his agent luck in that regard. He's not worth 5 or 5. I have no idea what team is insane enough to offer an oft-injured 30 something 5 years. The 5 million? Maybe; depending on term. The only thing I can think of is a Florida (or another team) trying to make a splash or just getting to the floor.

We'll see what happens. In the past; I've tended to be somewhat close. An illustration of my point is that Edmonton never really got the deal they wanted for him. There was never really much in the way of rumors of teams wanting him. His performance with the Sens might open some eyes; but smart GM's are going to realize they have him for 60 or so games a year.

What's funny is that I thought I was going to get an "OMG, too much money and term" with what I proposed.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I wish him and his agent luck in that regard. He's not worth 5 or 5. I have no idea what team is insane enough to offer an oft-injured 30 something 5 years. The 5 million? Maybe; depending on term. The only thing I can think of is a Florida (or another team) trying to make a splash or just getting to the floor.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1636757

here is a thread on the FA board that asked the question "what is the next contract for Hemsky"

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
all the amnesty talk about Umberger...we can legit trade him this off season...this type of season, sell high...might as well get some sort of asset back for him...

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

Sign Callahan.

Jenner-Johansen-Eberle
Foligno-Anisimov-Horton
Calvert-Letestu-Callahan

Giordano-Tyutin
Murray-Wisniewski
Erixon-Savard
Golo/Prout

Bob
C-Mac

No offense, but that lineup is a step backwards, not toward cup contender. I like Boone Jenner, but I don't think he's a top line player. Our need is a scoring top line left winger to pair with Johansen and Horton. I know everyone is down on Horton right now, but he's here to stay and will get top line minutes. I'm against any roster that does not include Dubinsky. I just don't know why people want to get rid of him. He's been great for this team since he got here and I personally think he's untouchable. I'm fine with getting rid of Umberger, I would prefer trade over buyout, but either way, I think the Jackets would be stuck paying part of his salary. The team's strength is down the middle with Johansen, Anisimov, Dubinsky and MacKenzie and Bob in goal. They always say build from the goal out and I think the club has done a pretty good job in that regard. I'm not sure how I would improve this, but I will think on this and post something later.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
all the amnesty talk about Umberger...we can legit trade him this off season...this type of season, sell high...might as well get some sort of asset back for him...

But only if he waives, right? He could decide to say "screw you" give me my $9 mill for doing nothing and I'll sign where I want.

I agree trading him would be best but what return? Picks & prospects? I probably would do that because we save the money and help build long term. Unless we can package him for Skinner or his type of player.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
much as I'd like to have him, and pointed out above, i don't think Skinner is on the table...but I think Umby would waive to leave especially since we've scratched him so much...in a deal for Kesler maybe? lol (not totally serious there)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
much as I'd like to have him, and pointed out above, i don't think Skinner is on the table...but I think Umby would waive to leave especially since we've scratched him so much...in a deal for Kesler maybe? lol (not totally serious there)

“As discussed last night on Insider Trading…big options ahead for the Carolina Hurricanes. Ward trade likely in the summer. Other names…â€

“..either Skinner or E.Staal also potentially in play. All depends on gm J.Rutherford’s future and his decision to move up, stay same or out.â€

“Potential player changes, coaching changes, management changes. So much to consider in Carolina this summer.â€

- Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger)

If dreger says it I tend to believe there is at least a bit of smoke. Probably as much wishful thinking on my part as the canes fans/bloggers saying nfw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad