2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I've been up and down with McElhinney but the more he plays the better he seems to get, I'm ok with him staying as of today.. If Mgt does get a top six scorer or two they better be healthy and have a history of being healthy... Gaborik and Horton are killing me....

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1636757

here is a thread on the FA board that asked the question "what is the next contract for Hemsky"

Thanks (appreciate the thought and effort). If you know anything about me you realize I have no desire to read anything outside of this sub-forum. Partly because there will only be about 5 posts (based on past history) in that entire thread that I will think will have some real insight.

There isn't anything going to be anything in there will change my analysis of the topic.

I conceded how that contract you proposed could occur (I don't think it will unless he wants to go to a Florida). Prime destinations for him to actually win aren't, likely, going to offer him anything like that. There is a reason they are prime destinations to win.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
“As discussed last night on Insider Trading…big options ahead for the Carolina Hurricanes. Ward trade likely in the summer. Other names…”

“..either Skinner or E.Staal also potentially in play. All depends on gm J.Rutherford’s future and his decision to move up, stay same or out.”

“Potential player changes, coaching changes, management changes. So much to consider in Carolina this summer.”

- Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger)

If dreger says it I tend to believe there is at least a bit of smoke. Probably as much wishful thinking on my part as the canes fans/bloggers saying nfw.

Dreger's been going massively downhill for a while now. Most folks tie it to when Nonis was promoted to GM in Toronto, since they're apparently bosom buddies for some reason or another.

Also, Carolina's area of greatest need is a replacement for Pitkanen and/or someone to play alongside Faulk.

jaxfan45385

Oct 29, 2007
What I have failed to see is anyone mention what the real issue is. If you want this team to be a perennial Cup contender, that is be able to play with the big boys (CHI, PIT, SJS, STL, BOS, etc) then we need to upgrade our COACHING. Everyone talks about how we are a grinding team. Well I hate to break it to you but that style of play will not make you a perennial Cup contender. Can you make the playoffs playing that style, time will tell. Will you win a series or two, maybe if things break your way. Will you be a perennial Cup contender, NO.

Our dump and chase, throw the puck back and forth along the boards, then to the point for a slow so called one timer. We need an offense that resembles the Cup contenders. That is puck control, cross ice passing, players cycling to the net and setting up the shot from the weak side.

The question is what kind of team is JK\JD building towards. Richards was not their pick. Is he just a filler until they get their guy? Is he their guy and playing the style of hockey they want? Is Richards just coaching this way because of the talent he has (all grinders according to you guys)? Can he change his coaching style if we get high end scoring talent? We can make all these trades and sign top FA, but it means nothing if we don't upgrade our coaching. We will be here the same time next year complaining about how this or that player isn't fitting into "our" style and he needs to go while we are fighting for the top draft pick or maybe the last wild card spot and NOT competing with the big boys.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
What I have failed to see is anyone mention what the real issue is. If you want this team to be a perennial Cup contender, that is be able to play with the big boys (CHI, PIT, SJS, STL, BOS, etc) then we need to upgrade our COACHING.

Uhh. We are compared, in style, in a Boston or the Blues. I agree that coaching has it's issues (but for other issues than you listed); but our system isn't one of them. Sure there are things I would like tweaked in our system; but a high level the system is fine (good even).

Our dump and chase, throw the puck back and forth along the boards, then to the point for a slow so called one timer. We need an offense that resembles the Cup contenders. That is puck control, cross ice passing, players cycling to the net and setting up the shot from the weak side.

Was the last Blue Jackets game you watched in 2011?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
What I have failed to see is anyone mention what the real issue is. If you want this team to be a perennial Cup contender, that is be able to play with the big boys (CHI, PIT, SJS, STL, BOS, etc) then we need to upgrade our COACHING. Everyone talks about how we are a grinding team. Well I hate to break it to you but that style of play will not make you a perennial Cup contender. Can you make the playoffs playing that style, time will tell. Will you win a series or two, maybe if things break your way. Will you be a perennial Cup contender, NO.

bruinscup.jpg

The question is what kind of team is JK\JD building towards. Richards was not their pick. Is he just a filler until they get their guy? Is he their guy and playing the style of hockey they want? Is Richards just coaching this way because of the talent he has (all grinders according to you guys)? Can he change his coaching style if we get high end scoring talent? We can make all these trades and sign top FA, but it means nothing if we don't upgrade our coaching. We will be here the same time next year complaining about how this or that player isn't fitting into "our" style and he needs to go while we are fighting for the top draft pick or maybe the last wild card spot and NOT competing with the big boys.

I think you seem more interested in seeing a 'show' than winning a cup. You don't have to be a 'pretty' team to win the cup. For all of their pretty plays, skill and such, what does Pittsburgh really have to show for it? Vancouver and their skilled players don't have anything to show for it either other than some nice highlights. Sure, skilled teams have won cups, but plenty of other style teams have - it's about playing as a team and executing a game plan. How about a team like the LA Kings? Skill, yes, but at their core they are a hard forechecking, grinding team. They've won a cup. As the 8th seed. And Boston, of course...

CBJ may have 99 problems but Richards ain't one, IMO. :shakehead

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Shame you took that much effort to write something that doesnt make a lot of sense. A lot of the "big boys" have defensive minded coaches and at one time were at where we are now. Every team you listed has homegrown talent and had its time of growing pains but now are being rewarded with the young skill. Also LA doesn't play a skill game at all but it got them a cup

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
bruinscup.jpg

I think you seem more interested in seeing a 'show' than winning a cup. You don't have to be a 'pretty' team to win the cup. For all of their pretty plays, skill and such, what does Pittsburgh really have to show for it? Vancouver and their skilled players don't have anything to show for it either other than some nice highlights. Sure, skilled teams have won cups, but plenty of other style teams have - it's about playing as a team and executing a game plan. How about a team like the LA Kings? Skill, yes, but at their core they are a hard forechecking, grinding team. They've won a cup. As the 8th seed. And Boston, of course...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd rather have a fly under the radar coaching personality on the bench than one of the big names who make the whole thing about them. The story is not about the coach. Richards has the players playing for him. He doesn't embarrass us or make negative headlines like Torts, etc. He seems solid, balanced and has this group working hard.

For gods sake, this team is playing above what the sum of their parts would indicate. I have no problem with Richards.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No offense, but that lineup is a step backwards, not toward cup contender. I like Boone Jenner, but I don't think he's a top line player. Our need is a scoring top line left winger to pair with Johansen and Horton. I know everyone is down on Horton right now, but he's here to stay and will get top line minutes. I'm against any roster that does not include Dubinsky. I just don't know why people want to get rid of him. He's been great for this team since he got here and I personally think he's untouchable. I'm fine with getting rid of Umberger, I would prefer trade over buyout, but either way, I think the Jackets would be stuck paying part of his salary. The team's strength is down the middle with Johansen, Anisimov, Dubinsky and MacKenzie and Bob in goal. They always say build from the goal out and I think the club has done a pretty good job in that regard. I'm not sure how I would improve this, but I will think on this and post something later.

So you're insisting that Horton play with Johansen and that Jenner not play with Johansen? I also think the world of Dubinsky, I'd only move him for a game-breaking creative player like Skinner or Eberle, which the club sorely needs.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
For gods sake, this team is playing above what the sum of their parts would indicate. I have no problem with Richards.

Maybe that was true at the end of last season. That has long since ceased to be a true statement.

Our sum of parts is a borderline playoff team and that's how we're playing.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
The Jackets consistently play hard and in the same vein as teams like L.A., St. Louis and Boston. They forecheck hard and don't play the type of weak, hope-and-pray hockey that many fans (including me for sure) desperately hate -- with good reason. The difference is those teams are quite a bit more talented. Yeah he makes a few quirky decisions here and there particularly in personnel, but I think anyone who believes we can dump Richards and upgrade is out to lunch.

The fundamental problem with this team, as of right now, is the lack of skill and finish in the top 6/9 forwards.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The Jackets consistently play hard and in the same vein as teams like L.A., St. Louis and Boston. They forecheck hard and don't play the type of weak, hope-and-pray hockey that many fans (including me for sure) desperately hate -- with good reason. The difference is those teams are quite a bit more talented. Yeah he makes a few quirky decisions here and there particularly in personnel, but I think anyone who believes we can dump Richards and upgrade is out to lunch.

The fundamental problem with this team, as of right now, is the lack of skill and finish in the top 6/9 forwards.

The gap isn't as large as people make it out to be. There are some issues with coaching and your idea of our "fundamental" problem(s) are flawed.

"Skill" is always the easy answer and is rarely an accurate assessment. It's never that easy; or Edmonton would be one of the best teams in the NHL.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
bruinscup.jpg

Are you suggesting Boston is short of skill? Bergeron,Chara, Erikssonn,Lucic,Marchand,Krejci,Iginla(granted he wasn't here for the Cup) are fairly skilled players in my opinion. Not finesse players by any means but skilled.

As to Richards,I don't know. My problem with him is line-up juggling and what appears to me not to adjust the offensive system to try and fix what ails us. Hmm, maybe he is a bigger part than I thought.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
So you're insisting that Horton play with Johansen and that Jenner not play with Johansen? I also think the world of Dubinsky, I'd only move him for a game-breaking creative player like Skinner or Eberle, which the club sorely needs.

I thought I was pretty clear on this. I really like Jenner, I just don't think he's a #1 left wing. I think he fits much better on a 2/3 line. Does he stay as a wing or does he move to center? I think that would be an interesting decision. It would open some trade options for the club (i.e. Anisimov).

What I can't figure out in my mind is who would be a scoring left wing to go after? It has to be a player that fits the style but has more skill and put the puck in the net. Vanek? I don't think so. Moulson? Maybe, but does he score enough. Cammalleri, not sure he's big enough, but he might be the closest fit, except for age. What trade options might there be? Do they re-visit their interest in acquiring Kesler? There are more questions than answers and I'm having a hard time figuring how I would turn the Jackets into a Cup Contender.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

If we miss the playoffs, and Laviollete is still available, I'd be happy to upgrade. Richards is a fine coach, but there are better coaches out there.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Are you suggesting Boston is short of skill? Bergeron,Chara, Erikssonn,Lucic,Marchand,Krejci,Iginla(granted he wasn't here for the Cup) are fairly skilled players in my opinion. Not finesse players by any means but skilled.

Boston was/is certainly not without skill, but they are a shining example of how being physical and winning battles can win a cup - more than pretty passing and skill alone.

CBJ are, IMO, Boston Jr. They lack the size and finish. Some will come from within over time, some from without. It seems absolutely clear to me though, that Richards is doing a fine job. It's hard to argue his moves and decisions when all seems to work out well in the end. The Johansen thing comes to mind. Many wanted him gone when he was sitting Joey. Seems he may have known what he was doing, eh?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
There are lots of extravagant things I would like to do but at the end of the day I think the front office will stay simple. (like I would love to add Andy Greene from the Devils to add an anchor to our D).

I expect Nikitin to not be resigned due to cost and to give a kid a shot.
I'm betting Montoya is signed for backup.
We'll see a left wing like Jussi Jokinen signed to fix the top line left wing since we won't get into the bidding war for Moulson and Vanek (the obvious top 2 LW available).

Now if we want to get complicated....

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
Here is my plan.

1. Go after Vanek. I assume the price will be too rich but we should be pitching to him and his agent anyway. The guy is what we all think we want.

2. Look into Stastny. He is the second prize after Vanek.

3. Trade RJ for a pick. His NTC is due to expire if I remember correctly and his salary is better spent elsewhere.

4. Resign MacKenzie and qualify Erixon.

5. Let Nikitin walk unless the dollar amount is below 3.1m.

6. Put Letestu, Skille and Calvert on the block as well as the first round pick to see what comes up. I would like to keep Calvert but 'give to get'.

7. Dany Heatley. According to Garioch or MacKenzie (I can't remember which one) he could be available for c.1m dollars. I would add him at that price for depth with the possibility that a change of scene might have the Hemsky effect. If it works it is a great reclamation project, if it doesn't you are sitting a guy on a very small contract.

Last edited:

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
I just don't see Umberger being a big part of what Jarmo has planned. Why is he in the press box tonight with Horton out of the lineup?

Having written that, I can't see an amnesty buyout from this org on a contract that big. Just can't see it.

However, his NTC goes to a limited NTC this summer. Maybe we can trade him away and keep some salary.

I don't want to see too much movement of prospects, but I would love to bring in a power forward LW. Evander Kane is a guy I'd love to see on Joey's line. Not sure if he's available or what it would take, but he'd be a fit in my eyes.

Other than that, let the kids develop and see where it goes.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here is my plan.

1. Go after Vanek. I assume the price will be too rich but we should be pitching to him and his agent anyway. The guy is what we all think we want.

If Jarmo wanted Vanek, we'd already have him. The price was very low at the deadline, I have to presume that he doesn't want Vanek in the room. (He's a country club kind of guy).

6. Put Letestu, Skille and Calvert on the block as well as the first round pick to see what comes up. I would like to keep Calvert but 'give to get'.

We don't own Skille, he's a UFA. And I suspect the trade value for Letestu and Calvert is much less than the value we get out of them.

7. Dany Heatley. According to Garioch or MacKenzie (I can't remember which one) he could be available for c.1m dollars. I would add him at that price for depth with the possibility that a change of scene might have the Hemsky effect. If it works it is a great reclamation project, if it doesn't you are sitting a guy on a very small contract.

The difference between Hemsky and Heatley is that Hemsky is still as fast and smooth as he always was. Heatley has gone from being a slow finisher with a bad attitude to being a decrepit waste of space. There's nothing to reclaim.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't want to see too much movement of prospects, but I would love to bring in a power forward LW. Evander Kane is a guy I'd love to see on Joey's line. Not sure if he's available or what it would take, but he'd be a fit in my eyes.

Yes plz. I think Kane will be available this summer, as the Jets need to make changes and they already have a lot of power on the wing and will deal from strength.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
IDK, I would say we need a good shutdown dman (preferably RH) with a good first pass out of the zone...And a 100+pt LW that can develop chemistry with Johansen over the next few years.

That would probably do it.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I wonder if Montreal would still have interest in Umberger. What else would we have to add to Umberger(and possibly and most likely some sort of salary retained) for Eller? I know the Jarmo/Eller connection but would he want him for this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad