2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I don't want to see too much movement of prospects, but I would love to bring in a power forward LW. Evander Kane is a guy I'd love to see on Joey's line. Not sure if he's available or what it would take, but he'd be a fit in my eyes.

If he's available for a major bargain, then pursue it. I don't think he will be.

I'm of the opinion that E. Kane has already peaked. He may be able to hit 35, possibly 40 if he's on a line with an upper echelon playmaker, but he's not getting better and he's not getting smarter on the ice. Once the puck is on his stick, it's not going back to another linemate unless it's on a rebound.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If he's available for a major bargain, then pursue it. I don't think he will be.

I'm of the opinion that E. Kane has already peaked. He may be able to hit 35, possibly 40 if he's on a line with an upper echelon playmaker, but he's not getting better and he's not getting smarter on the ice. Once the puck is on his stick, it's not going back to another linemate unless it's on a rebound.

Yeah, I agree. Why would we want a guy at his peak at what 24 or so, who might hit 35-40 goals in a season. :help:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I wonder if Montreal would still have interest in Umberger. What else would we have to add to Umberger(and possibly and most likely some sort of salary retained) for Eller? I know the Jarmo/Eller connection but would he want him for this team?

Eller's been worse this year than any of our centers, so he'd be a downgrade.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
If we miss the playoffs, and Laviollete is still available, I'd be happy to upgrade. Richards is a fine coach, but there are better coaches out there.

I don't want to see that happen at all. If we miss the playoffs it's on Jarmo. Richards gets another year.

There are lots of extravagant things I would like to do but at the end of the day I think the front office will stay simple. (like I would love to add Andy Greene from the Devils to add an anchor to our D).

I expect Nikitin to not be resigned due to cost and to give a kid a shot.
I'm betting Montoya is signed for backup.
We'll see a left wing like Jussi Jokinen signed to fix the top line left wing since we won't get into the bidding war for Moulson and Vanek (the obvious top 2 LW available).

Now if we want to get complicated....

I'm not sure about that. We still don't really know what Jarmo's up to. It would surprise me a little bit if we signed a big time guy, but only a little bit.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I agree. Why would we want a guy at his peak at what 24 or so, who might hit 35-40 goals in a season. :help:

Yeah, why go for players who are pre peak instead of post peak.... and especially those that seem to be injury resistant... lol

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Eller's been worse this year than any of our centers, so he'd be a downgrade.

I went to check out his stats and I noticed that he was a team leading -18(I know +/- is sometimes a meaningless stat because it doesn't tell you the whole story) but a -18 is ugly.

When the rumor was started, Habs fans suggested Umberger for Bourque. Would you rather just keep Umberger then trade him for Bourque? One less year on his contract and a million dollar cheaper cap hit. But I think he has a poor work ethic and like Umberger, has a limited NTC. If it was between not finding any takers on Umberger and having to keep him, trading him for Eller(most likely salary retained for Umberger),trading for Bourque, or buying him out, which would you choose?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

22; he'll be 23 when next season starts.

The problem I see is that Kane is similar to Rick Nash, only more physical but with less actual scoring ability. But on any given shift, you're going to see the same thing. You know how in basketball there are guys who are referred to as "ball stoppers"? They're the guys who can disrupt offensive flow because once the ball gets in their hands, a shot is going to be taken no matter what (unless it's turned over first).

That's what Nash was. The puck gets on his stick, and the only way someone else ends up with it is through the actions of an opposing player. Sure, he might pot 30, he might pot 40. But what's everyone else on his line actually able to produce? Is the team actually scoring less by having the entire offense funnel to one guy who's not exactly a cinch to bury it every time? Nash is about the only goal-scoring forward that Sidney Crosby couldn't even play with (2010 Olympics), and it sure wasn't for lack of trying to make it work.

Kane's the same way. He gets the puck, and he's going to try to go through two or three opposing players to get a shot away instead of passing to an open man. He's going to charge at the net no matter who's in the way or in what numbers. He's hit 30 goals once (30 exactly), and that looks like more of a fluke with every passing day.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Out of Kane, Skinner, and Eberle, who would cost more to get in a trade and who would you want the most in order. I'm a Eberle fan so I would want him the most.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Out of Kane, Skinner, and Eberle, who would cost more to get in a trade and who would you want the most in order. I'm a Eberle fan so I would want him the most.

Kane will be impossible to get. Winnipeg's front office has been in place for three full years and I can recite their entire player-for-player trade history off the top of my head:
- July 10, 2011 - Angelo Esposito to FLA for Kenndal McArdle
- January 30, 2012 - Akim Aliu to CGY for John Negrin
- March 10, 2013 - Spencer Machacek to CBJ for Tomas Kubalik

Three years, three player-for-player trades, 0 of which involved actual NHL players. I think their front office is inept and has no idea why they're not winning, apparently not realizing that they're supposed to actually help facilitate that process.

Frankly, I shudder to think at what the demands would be for Kane, but I'd want no part of it. I'd rather go after Burmistrov, although one can only imagine what obscenely high demands there are for him as well.

And yet I have Kane 3rd out of those 3 players who I'd want. Skinner would probably be first, Eberle second, Kane third. And I'm a Kane fan.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Kane will be impossible to get. Winnipeg's front office has been in place for three full years and I can recite their entire player-for-player trade history off the top of my head:
- July 10, 2011 - Angelo Esposito to FLA for Kenndal McArdle
- January 30, 2012 - Akim Aliu to CGY for John Negrin
- March 10, 2013 - Spencer Machacek to CBJ for Tomas Kubalik

Three years, three player-for-player trades, 0 of which involved actual NHL players. I think their front office is inept and has no idea why they're not winning, apparently not realizing that they're supposed to actually help facilitate that process.

Frankly, I shudder to think at what the demands would be for Kane, but I'd want no part of it. I'd rather go after Burmistrov, although one can only imagine what obscenely high demands there are for him as well.

And yet I have Kane 3rd out of those 3 players who I'd want. Skinner would probably be first, Eberle second, Kane third. And I'm a Kane fan.

I love Patty too.... ;)

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
1. I don't think we should go making up dream trades. Viqsi is right, people aren't going to give us anything like that unless its a stretch drive rental. For which we'll probably overpay. If an opportunity appears it won't be something we can predict.

2 We are not buying out Umberger. There are no savings from his buyout, and he does have 18 goals for us this year. He is overpaid, but there is no real benefit for dumping him. We'd be better off cutting him if we really want rid of him because I assure you someone WILL pick hum up for half salary.

3. Agreed we need a couple more elite players with elite skill. However we are the youngest team in the NHL. Joey has now demonstrated he has elite skill. Murray is a rookie, Savard and Prout are technically rookies. And who really thought Boone Jenner would play this well? We have some really talented people in the minors. We haven't had the worst injury problem in the league, but we've had a lot of people hurt this year. We're likely to get better just because our kids are growing up. Horton has had an awful year, but he's not been healthy much. If we need more skill we'll probably need to belly up to the free agent bar. But we're losers no more. We're no laughingstock, we won't have to overpay for aging, failing veterans.
Therefore, sign our good free agents, particularly Joey. Play the kids, and lets look for more talent in free agency. Keep enough money so we can buy at the trade deadline.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
1. I don't think we should go making up dream trades. Viqsi is right, people aren't going to give us anything like that unless its a stretch drive rental.

:blush: ;)

2 We are not buying out Umberger. There are no savings from his buyout, and he does have 18 goals for us this year. He is overpaid, but there is no real benefit for dumping him. We'd be better off cutting him if we really want rid of him because I assure you someone WILL pick hum up for half salary.

Are you trying to flatter me? ;)

Completely agree. If his is the worst contract we have to contend with going forward, we're actually in pretty decent shape. (Plus, I think he and Horton are poised to be our Playoff Secret Weapons - look at their stats in the postseason.)

We haven't had the worst injury problem in the league, but we've had a lot of people hurt this year.

By some measures we have - IIRC we're still top of the league in total man-games lost. That said, one could easily and reasonably argue that Pittsburgh and Detroit in particular have had a harder time of it regardless. (And those are just the playoff teams - IIRC Buffalo's been through a lot too, for example.)

Therefore, sign our good free agents, particularly Joey. Play the kids, and lets look for more talent in free agency. Keep enough money so we can buy at the trade deadline.

There's not much talent available in FA, and what little there is would probably require high payments - not so much because "lol columbus losers", but because of sheer scarcity. I'd love to add a Stastny, for example, but I cringe in fear at speculation as to what his contract would have to be.

I'd carefully look for trade opportunities myself, and be opportunistic without being aggressive. We're the youngest team in the League, and stand an excellent chance of being the youngest team in the playoffs this year. Patience is not just a good idea anymore; it's now easily affordable.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I know this was originally the pipe dream thread but I think summer 014 isn't the interesting one. I'm thinking 2015 will be considerably more interesting.

Dubi (UFA), Foligno (UFA), Letestu (UFA), Cam (RFA), Calvert (RFA), and Bob (RFA) all have their contracts up (and Ryan Craig too but he's not as integral). This will be the best opportunity to swap in higher caliber talent if that is felt to be needed just by the open holes. The problem is these are also the players we all love. I think this summer could be sued though to set up moves for next summer to either involve these players or the holes they would leave. This ain't checkers it's chess.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Was anyone else impressed by Brock Nelson Sunday?

Interesting off topic tidbit.

Apparently Mr. Nelson and I have similar email addresses because I randomly get emails sent to him. I have gotten everything from an email from a former landlord to a copy of his ELC from his lawyer/agent.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I know this was originally the pipe dream thread but I think summer 014 isn't the interesting one. I'm thinking 2015 will be considerably more interesting.

Dubi (UFA), Foligno (UFA), Letestu (UFA), Cam (RFA), Calvert (RFA), and Bob (RFA) all have their contracts up (and Ryan Craig too but he's not as integral). This will be the best opportunity to swap in higher caliber talent if that is felt to be needed just by the open holes. The problem is these are also the players we all love. I think this summer could be sued though to set up moves for next summer to either involve these players or the holes they would leave. This ain't checkers it's chess.

Wouldn't be shocked if GMJK negotiates long term extensions with Dubi and Foligno this summer. While I like Letestu, he's replaceable. With Cam, Calvert and Bob, you retain their rights, so no need to start that process until 2015.

I'm biased because I think Dubi is the heart and soul of the team, but I would sign him to a very long term contract, 5-7 years. He's the type of player we want on this club. He's about winning and hates losing more than he loves winning. I want a whole team full of those guys.

Foligno I think should get a 3-4 year contract. I think that we'll be glad the cap is going up when it comes time to re-sign Bob. He's going to be a 7.5M+ player.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He's big, that's for sure. He'd be a bull in front of the net. I would think he's an important part of the Isles future.

I think there is still some bulking up to come as well. He's a 2010 draft class rookie, last pick of a 1st round laden with offensive talent. I think he's got Dubinsky like potential, can play center or wing, and looks like a good 2-way skater.

Interesting off topic tidbit.

Apparently Mr. Nelson and I have similar email addresses because I randomly get emails sent to him. I have gotten everything from an email from a former landlord to a copy of his ELC from his lawyer/agent.

Bounce an email to his agent that he should give Jarmo a call :)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Foligno I think should get a 3-4 year contract. I think that we'll be glad the cap is going up when it comes time to re-sign Bob. He's going to be a 7.5M+ player.

Is he? Rask is only a 7 million cap hit. Quick is a mere 5.8 on his long term deal. Lundqvist just got 6.8.

I wouldn't be so sure he hits that 7.5 mark (7 wouldn't shock me). This year he hasn't earned that 7.5. Regardless he's a 5.6 now so it's not that bad of a bump.

Johansen is more of a concern on the cap side. He's going to get more than a 1.5 or 2 million increase.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Wouldn't be shocked if GMJK negotiates long term extensions with Dubi and Foligno this summer. While I like Letestu, he's replaceable. With Cam, Calvert and Bob, you retain their rights, so no need to start that process until 2015.

I'm biased because I think Dubi is the heart and soul of the team, but I would sign him to a very long term contract, 5-7 years. He's the type of player we want on this club. He's about winning and hates losing more than he loves winning. I want a whole team full of those guys.

I with ya on Dubi.

As for the Bob contract, he's going to have to shine for this team in the playoffs and get back in the Vezina conversation before he gets that kind of money. He's the best goalie we've ever had, but thats not saying much. This season he's been a grade B goalie, border line top 10 in the league.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
For all you folks who think buying out Umbie is never going to happen I think you are being shortsighted.

Last edited:

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
For all you folks who think buying out Umbie is never going to happen I think you are being shortsighted.

I think that decision has already been made. He's no longer worth the money he's paid. The cap space is more valuable at this point. I'm sure that they will try to trade him, but no one wants that contract. Between the cap going up, Gaborik off the books and buying out RJ, GMJK will have some ammo this summer. I'm still convinced he'll trade our first round pick this year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We have 20 million with 16 players. Not sure cap is a reason for next season. They may consider cap a concern after next season; but I don't see where we would be spending the cash for next season.

We can sign Johansen and Nikitin (the two biggest contracts), sign a Stastny and still have enough room to bring back all of our other, less expensive, contracts.

We probably don't have any real cap concerns until the end of the 2015-16 season (Murray). The cap would probably increase more than Dubinsky, Foligno and a Bob raises (as an example, if keep them all).

That assume we don't make any additional major changes, add one more expensive FA forward, but otherwise stick with our own farm system.

An Atkinson raise could be a wild card in there.

I don't think affording RJ is the issue. The question is more of how they feel he fits with the team and using up a roster spot. I would be surprised if they are happy with his performance. Not sure if they are as displeased as the fanbase; but I don't think I would call them happy or even satisfied. He obvious did get talked to because his change(s) during the offseason. I think they did improve his game; but it's hard to say he's earning his contract.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
We have 20 million with 16 players. Not sure cap is a reason for next season. They may consider cap a concern after next season; but I don't see where we would be spending the cash for next season.

We can sign Johansen and Nikitin (the two biggest contracts), sign a Stastny and still have enough room to bring back all of our other, less expensive, contracts.

We probably don't have any real cap concerns until the end of the 2015-16 season (Murray). The cap would probably increase more than Dubinsky, Foligno and a Bob raises (as an example, if keep them all).

That assume we don't make any additional major changes, add one more expensive FA forward, but otherwise stick with our own farm system.

An Atkinson raise could be a wild card in there.

I don't think affording RJ is the issue. The question is more of how they feel he fits with the team and using up a roster spot. I would be surprised if they are happy with his performance. Not sure if they are as displeased as the fanbase; but I don't think I would call them happy or even satisfied. He obvious did get talked to because his change(s) during the offseason. I think they did improve his game; but it's hard to say he's earning his contract.

I would remake the D before I would sign a forward. We need a PP QB/puck mover and could also use a mean version of Murray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad