2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Iginla's style would certainly fit here. He's is a player I love to watch. But as for a 60 point scorer, I wouldn't want to pay $7M a year for a 36 year old. If he were 27, then that's a different story. I think you'll see that he gets in the 5-6M range. Nash made 7.8M here for basically 60 points a year, situation was different though. If Iginla could be had for $5M, I would push all my chips in.

If I were calling the shots, I think I'd trade for a top line left winger and sign a #2 RW in free agency. I think I'd get bigger bang for my buck. It would allow for the prospects to develop properly and leave the flexibility to make a move later if a prospect is ready sooner. Kind of like the Red Wings have done over the years.

Every time I think trade is the way to go, I find myself coming up short on assets when the deal is done. For example to get say Sharp you give up Arty and ?. Forgetting the ? who then is the 2nd line center? Jenner? Wennberg? Are they ready? You have any ideas on how to get that top 6 LW without shorting us somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing your ideas.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I've pretty much been against signing Callahan because of two reasons. First, my concern with how it might impact the long term future of a guy like Dubinsky or possibly some of the younger players and second, that he might become the next Umberger. However, I do think he would help this team and started to mess around with the roster a little. I think it could work. Here's my thoughts:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Xoggz22 - June 10
FORWARDS
Ryan Callahan ($6.100m) / Ryan Johansen ($4.500m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Jakob Silfverberg ($1.650m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Magnus Paajarvi ($1.200m)
Simon Hjalmarsson ($0.925m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Jared Boll ($1.700m)
Matt Kassian ($0.650m) / Derek MacKenzie ($1.250m) /
DEFENSEMEN
James Wisniewski ($5.500m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Ryan Murray ($0.894m)
David Savard ($1.500m) / Dalton Prout ($0.800m)
Tim Erixon ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($5.625m)
Alex Stalock ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.94% of upper limit)
R.J. Umberger ($1.380m—30.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,922,142; BONUSES: $2,715,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,177,858

Signings:
- Callahan (5 yr, $30.5MM) - provides leadership and top 6 help on the wing. Potentially impacts Dubinsky re-signing. 55 pt guy with leadership and plays in all situations.
- MacKenzie (2 yr, $2.7MM) - great 4th line guy. plays any position. we know what we are getting. could chip in 10 goals a year and play 3rd line too.
- Kassian (1 yr, $650K) - Heavyweight for games we need him. Splits time with Boll. Keeps teams honest.
- Stalock (1 yr, $900K) - Hungry backup who could play heavy minutes for Bob if needed. Highly athletic and could be insurance. Has ability to play regularly if necessary.

Trades
To STL: Umberger (30% retained)
To CBJ: Paajarvi

RJ is a Hitch guy and at approximately $3MM is more reasonable as a 3rd line guy with leadership. Paajarvi can play 3rd line with 2nd line potential. Size and speed but hasn't put it together and may not. Cost effective replacement. More can be involved in this deal like picks or a prospect if necessary.

To ANA: Atkinson, Anisimov
To CBJ: Silfverberg, Blacker

Anaheim gets a solid 3C and a 2RW/3RW to improve their depth. CBJ gets a top 6 wing with big upside who played very well after return from injury. Size, 2-way game and some creativity very smart. CBJ also gets a depth d-man to help in Springfield and possible call up.

We have space to make a move this year, flexibility going forward and allows Wennberg to develop while also getting Jenner back to his natural C position without a ton of pressure to play high in the lineup. Added size and 2-way play but also added speed and IQ.

Thoughts?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Thoughts?

I think we give up too much goal scoring here. Atkinson and Anisimov are two of our better goal scorers. They score 20 or so a year, while Silfverberg has a career high of ... 10 goals. He's an intriguing player for sure, but I can't see us moving both of them for him.

I also don't see Callahan as a 55 point guy. I think he's going to be closer to 45 points most years, and he's not an answer for a top line wing, or at least not a better answer than Foligno or Dubinsky.

I do like the idea of getting some serious Bob insurance and signing a guy like Stalock. Though I think it'll cost more than 900K.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Also, if we were going to re-sign him why wouldn't we have kept him to help us? Teams who do that are ones who won't make the playoffs and want to give the player a chance to play in them.

cough second round pick cough

:sarcasm:

(Ok, a bit of a low blow, I know 2nd round draft picks are valuable... it was just, I couldn't resist)

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Every sign in the world seems to suggest we're going to be making a big run at Callahan so yeah, I can def. see it happening. Probably a 3rd/4th Round Pick in 2015.

Why do I have the feeling that move would cement JK's reputation as a rookie GM? I don't like the thought of a big run at Callahan, myself

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Every time I think trade is the way to go, I find myself coming up short on assets when the deal is done. For example to get say Sharp you give up Arty and ?. Forgetting the ? who then is the 2nd line center? Jenner? Wennberg? Are they ready? You have any ideas on how to get that top 6 LW without shorting us somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing your ideas.

After seeing what some of the Blackhawk fans would want for Sharp, I'm not sure that we could put a package together to acquire him. I think that if Anisimov is potential trade bait, the front office would have to be comfortable with moving Dubinsky to #2 center or one of the kids being ready to take over. If they aren't, then we aren't going to see a trade.

I've said before that IMO our first round pick is as good as traded. So I guess the start of any trade could be Anisimov and our first round pick. That's where I get stumped. Do you have to add a defensive roster player or prospect. I guess it depends on who you're trying to acquire. In your example, if it's Sharp (or Marleau or Pavelski or any other top six forward), then I would think it's probably going to have to be either Prout or Savard. I would lean toward Prout, so my offer would be Anisimov, Prout and our 1st round pick. If that is not enough, I guess you cross Sharp off the list and move on to the next.

As for a shortage at center, again I would say you could move Dubie to #2 center and then either look to the market for a cheaper replacement or move Letestu up to #3 or hope one of the kids is ready. I really like Boone on the wing, he goes to the dirty areas. His best potential might be as a power forward rooted firmly in front of the net.

I guess the shorter answer is your guess is as good as mine.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
After seeing what some of the Blackhawk fans would want for Sharp, I'm not sure that we could put a package together to acquire him. I think that if Anisimov is potential trade bait, the front office would have to be comfortable with moving Dubinsky to #2 center or one of the kids being ready to take over. If they aren't, then we aren't going to see a trade.

I've said before that IMO our first round pick is as good as traded. So I guess the start of any trade could be Anisimov and our first round pick. That's where I get stumped. Do you have to add a defensive roster player or prospect. I guess it depends on who you're trying to acquire. In your example, if it's Sharp (or Marleau or Pavelski or any other top six forward), then I would think it's probably going to have to be either Prout or Savard. I would lean toward Prout, so my offer would be Anisimov, Prout and our 1st round pick. If that is not enough, I guess you cross Sharp off the list and move on to the next.

As for a shortage at center, again I would say you could move Dubie to #2 center and then either look to the market for a cheaper replacement or move Letestu up to #3 or hope one of the kids is ready. I really like Boone on the wing, he goes to the dirty areas. His best potential might be as a power forward rooted firmly in front of the net.

I guess the shorter answer is your guess is as good as mine.

It doesn't make sense to say move Dubi up to Anisimov's spot.

Dubinsky already plays the most of any forward and takes on the hardest matchups, so there's no sense in which he can be moved up to anywhere. I think if you do give him a number its #2 Center, or perhaps Checking center + or something like that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
After seeing what some of the Blackhawk fans would want for Sharp, I'm not sure that we could put a package together to acquire him.

The good news would be that fans are unrealistic so what they want is irrelevant. What we are trying to do here is figure out what the Blackhawks need and see if we could make an offer that would help both teams.

They need an Anisimov kind of guy to replace Handzus and Bolland who they let walk last year. So I think he is a chip they would want/could use.

They need to get younger on D as Roszival ran out of gas in the playoffs and Oduya isn't far behind. So a Prout or Golobuef or Erixon could fit. I'd include Savard if there was nothing else.

A number 1 is always worth something. So to me that is a deal they may consider.

Big problem I see is who to put between Foligno and whoever turns out to be our 2nd line RW. Can Jenner move to RW? Dubi has pretty good chemistry with Cam and Calvert so that doesn't make sense to move him. I guess either Wennberg is ready or Letestu gets a battleground promotion.

I think Arty is more tradeable next year after the team gets a good feel for Wennberg.

This should be an interesting summer. Just hope it doesn't turn into a trade deadline scenario where we all say WTF?.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So if trading doesn't work, I tried for a FA bolstered roster:

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($5.500m) / Ryan Johansen ($5.500m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Radim Vrbata ($4.000m)
Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Cam Atkinson ($1.150m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Derek MacKenzie ($1.250m)
Jared Boll ($1.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Tim Erixon ($1.250m) / Cody Goloubef ($1.000m)
David Savard ($1.250m) / Dalton Prout ($0.693m)
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
R.J. Umberger ($0.000m)
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,693,476; BONUSES: $2,715,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,406,524

It adds some offense, protects all the young D, although playing time may be an issue, in which case I would trade one, preferably Prout or Golobuef and add another F. Could be Hjarmasson,Skille, Tropp, Comeau.

Vokoun is intriguing and may be worth a chance as the backup or we could go after Greiss. Stalock is going to be in San Jose and appears to be the heir apparent to Niemi.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
can't see SJS not signing Stalok
can't see ANA getting rid of Silfverberg

this last one is highly feesible...just would like a better back up than vokoun that i'm worried about health wise

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So if trading doesn't work, I tried for a FA bolstered roster:

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($5.500m) / Ryan Johansen ($5.500m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Radim Vrbata ($4.000m)
Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Cam Atkinson ($1.150m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Derek MacKenzie ($1.250m)
Jared Boll ($1.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Tim Erixon ($1.250m) / Cody Goloubef ($1.000m)
David Savard ($1.250m) / Dalton Prout ($0.693m)
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
R.J. Umberger ($0.000m)
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,693,476; BONUSES: $2,715,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,406,524

It adds some offense, protects all the young D, although playing time may be an issue, in which case I would trade one, preferably Prout or Golobuef and add another F. Could be Hjarmasson,Skille, Tropp, Comeau.

Vokoun is intriguing and may be worth a chance as the backup or we could go after Greiss. Stalock is going to be in San Jose and appears to be the heir apparent to Niemi.

That's a good looking roster with a lot of scoring. IF we can get Cammalleri and Vrbata at those prices, then maybe FA works. Trouble is, there's 20 other teams with the cash and inclination to add FA's, so I don't think the prices will look anything like that, and we'll have to look for trades to find scorers.

As a minor note, Greiss is infinitely preferred to Vokoun.

Also, why is everyone leaving the D pairs all-a-jumble? Most folks D-pairings don't make sense. Going through and doing the work of figuring out who plays what side and who fits with whom is pretty important in figuring out who fits on the blueline and who is redundant.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
ok...what the hell, i'll give it a try

Fro
FORWARDS
Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Ryan Johansen ($5.500m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Matt Moulson ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Cam Atkinson ($1.150m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Jack Skille ($0.675m)
Blake Comeau ($1.000m) / Jared Boll ($1.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
James Wisniewski ($5.500m) / Ryan Murray ($0.894m)
Dmitry Orlov ($2.000m) / Dalton Prout ($0.900m)
David Savard ($0.900m) /
GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.29% of upper limit)
R.J. Umberger ($0.920m—20.00%)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,545,476; BONUSES: $2,715,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,554,524

yes, i understand Moulson at 4m is probably undervalued, but he literally disappeared once traded to Minny...

traded Umby to Washington for Orlov, mainly b/c I wanted defense, and I didn't see many other interesting things out there on teams I think he'll waive for

Vrbata at 3m should work...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
traded Umby to Washington for Orlov, mainly b/c I wanted defense, and I didn't see many other interesting things out there on teams I think he'll waive for

Vrbata at 3m should work...

Great, we'll be the best team of second liners in the league! It's not a bad roster, but I'm not sure if there are diminishing returns to add more and more scorers who are all in that 40-55 point range.

Why would Washington dump Orlov for so little? And why do you want to add to our defence a guy who isn't much different than Erixon? Look at their AHL production last year. Granted he has a better edge to his game, but I'm not sure why we acquire a guy which means we have to sell low on Erixon.

I think you're off by a million or two on Vrbata.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Again the insanity of trading two of our three 20+ goal scorers and expecting that to make us a better team.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I like Anisimov quite a bit; but, if he were to be part of a trade for a top line wing, I think I would be comfortable with Johansen, Dubinsky, Letestu, and MacKenzie down the middle.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Again the insanity of trading two of our three 20+ goal scorers and expecting that to make us a better team.

If you're going to improve the skill, you have to give up something you don't necessarily want to. If you could trade one 20 goal scorer to acquire a 30 goal scorer and leave the club with the flexibility to sign another 20+ goal scorer in free agency, I think you have to jump on that. I agree with you though, that trading for a lateral move is not wise. It has to be an upgrade.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I like Anisimov quite a bit; but, if he were to be part of a trade for a top line wing, I think I would be comfortable with Johansen, Dubinsky, Letestu, and MacKenzie down the middle.

I agree, because when MacKenzie start wearing down we have plenty of guys on their way behind him who can play center. Jenner, Chaput, Wennberg, Dano, all can play center.

But I am nervous about it too. He is arguably our best defensive forward.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree, because when MacKenzie start wearing down we have plenty of guys on their way behind him who can play center. Jenner, Chaput, Wennberg, Dano, all can play center.

But I am nervous about it too. He is arguably our best defensive forward.

I'm pretty convinced that Dubi is the best shutdown forward, while Arty is still well above average.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Ain't Dubinsky and Foligno kind of leading trade candidates for this organization since they are the only that ones are UFA and "worthless" after next season? So unless extensions can be announced soon...

The whole 'Columbus after Callahan' scenario has been known by bit too many reporters to make it reliable as a rumour.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ain't Dubinsky and Foligno kind of leading trade candidates for this organization since they are the only that ones are UFA and "worthless" after next season? So unless extensions can be announced soon...

The whole 'Columbus after Callahan' scenario has been known by bit too many reporters to make it reliable as a rumour.

If Foligno and Dubinsky want to be here past next year, which all signs point to yes, there is absolutely no way they're not here after next year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Foligno after next season, Arty after the following.

If Foligno and Dubinsky want to be here past next year, which all signs point to yes, there is absolutely no way they're not here after next year.

If it were up to you this team would be known as the Columbus Hotel California. :sarcasm::laugh:

Exactly how do you ice a team with both of them plus Wennberg,Rychel,Bjorkstrand and maybe Dano? I suppose Rychel-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand would make a hell of a 4th line but really do you see that happening?

If we add a free agent F or two this year their continuing as Jackets for the long term becomes less likely imo.

I definitely see Arty being a tradeable asset more next year than this and I see Foligno as the more likely of the two to stay but I wouldn't be surprised if they are both gone two years from now (or sooner). A lot depends on the young guys development but right now I wouldn't assume they are here for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan