2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i must be in the minority that doesn't want callahan...i think he's nearing his downside, play has been lacking...i'd rather sign a stop gap than a player that we'll be comparing to Umby in a couple years...

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm leery of Callahan, too. Never mind he seems to be asking for a fortune. I'm apprehensive about the impact of his coming in with Duby already establishing himself for a couple of seasons. I seem to recall some kind of talk that Duby's rotten year in NY may have been caused by Callahan getting the C. It's just gossip and you'd expect professionals to be professionals, but combined with the demands that saw him traded from a team he was a captain of, I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So anyway I'm bored already with this offseason, so here are a couple preposterous scenarios - which do you feel has a better chance of being right?

1) Umberger asked for a trade because Davidson told him he's planning to make a move for Kesler and wanted to know if RJU could play with RK.

2) The reason the explanations for the Gaborik trade involve sketchy, esoteric reasons is because Jarmo has a handshake agreement to re-sign Gabby this offseason.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Dubinsky is better than Callahan, and everyone knows it. So if we sign Callahan we better plan on giving Dubi a raise to that level or higher, or let the better player go.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't think #2 is viable. If that were the case, it doesn't seem like you'd talk about how the fit isn't right, just to turn around and re-sign him. Unless it's all subterfuge.

Anyway, what don't you like about the explanation for the trade??

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So anyway I'm bored already with this offseason, so here are a couple preposterous scenarios - which do you feel has a better chance of being right?

1) Umberger asked for a trade because Davidson told him he's planning to make a move for Kesler and wanted to know if RJU could play with RK.

2) The reason the explanations for the Gaborik trade involve sketchy, esoteric reasons is because Jarmo has a handshake agreement to re-sign Gabby this offseason.

1, and that's a 1%. I would have chose 2 but there is no way Gaborik doesn't stay in LA

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Not true. Remember Ehrhoff to the Isles? And remember Callahan forced his way out of NY (where he was captain) because he was asking for a fortune. If we get his rights he's not going to lower his demands.

He did say "here in town..." I'm guessing that means Columbus.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
i must be in the minority that doesn't want callahan...i think he's nearing his downside, play has been lacking...i'd rather sign a stop gap than a player that we'll be comparing to Umby in a couple years...

I don't think you are. I think most of us that don't want Callahan have already said our piece. For the price and term I'm.not interested in Callahan.or Stastny. Now of the CBJ were to move Dubi I would have more interest in Callahan to replace him. I just don't see the CBJ tying up someone with another long term contract unless they are 25 or younger. Just my gut feeling.

I think the structure and the money plays a big factor. I realize we don't know what Wennberg, Rychel or other young players might become but I think the CBJ wants to keep some flexibility and signing older players to long term expensive deals as UFA's doesn't seem ideal to me.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

could be...i don't see why JD would ask him up front though...either be professionals about it, maybe it never happens so why bring it up until it does? :dunno:

interesting...i doubt it, just b/c of some of the things Jarmo said in the days after...but its plausible...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It means laugh out loud Eberle.

Trudat.

It also means why in the world are we going after Eberle again? What incentive do they have to move him and who would in Edmonton's front office would agree with the deal proposed? I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

I've always asked in these threads that we work around rumors. Is there even a rumor that Eberle is being shopped or that the two teams have discussed him? If there is I'd be curious to read it. If there isn't one it's a total waste of space. As I said in the past I would prefer to have the offseason thread dedicated to actual rumors so we don't have to sift through people's fantasies.

Shoot, lets just make up some random trade proposals for Crosby, Suter, Kopitar cause it's fun! Just because Edmonton sucks it doesn't mean they have intent to move someone who is more a part of their eventual solution than the problem.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

No, you aren't. I don't want him either. I don't want anyone on a longer term deal unless they are 26 or younger. I don't want to take the chance of signing someone to a big deal who doesn't work out and also blocks one of our younger players or causes us not to be able to keep someone we want, because we don't have the money.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
could be...i don't see why JD would ask him up front though...either be professionals about it, maybe it never happens so why bring it up until it does? :dunno:

interesting...i doubt it, just b/c of some of the things Jarmo said in the days after...but its plausible...

Also, if we were going to re-sign him why wouldn't we have kept him to help us? Teams who do that are ones who won't make the playoffs and want to give the player a chance to play in them.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Trudat.

It also means why in the world are we going after Eberle again? What incentive do they have to move him and who would in Edmonton's front office would agree with the deal proposed? I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

I've always asked in these threads that we work around rumors. Is there even a rumor that Eberle is being shopped or that the two teams have discussed him? If there is I'd be curious to read it. If there isn't one it's a total waste of space. As I said in the past I would prefer to have the offseason thread dedicated to actual rumors so we don't have to sift through people's fantasies.

Shoot, lets just make up some random trade proposals for Crosby, Suter, Kopitar cause it's fun! Just because Edmonton sucks it doesn't mean they have intent to move someone who is more a part of their eventual solution than the problem.

How does one determine what are "actual rumors" and how does one know if they are fantasies, or not? A quick google of "Eberle trade rumors" turns up plenty, most recently in April. Does that make them "actual"? Just curious.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I've seen several tweets, specifically James Mirtle (@mirtle) saying that the salary cap could rise to as high as $76M in '15-'16. I believe that means the floor would be $56M. We're obviously not a cap team, although we've been closer to the cap than the floor in the past several seasons. If the owners are willing to spend, which they have been, then I'm going to be curious to see what the strategy of the front office is then. Should be an interesting combination of re-signings with raises and free agent/trade acquisitions.

That said, all I know about this off-season is that I have no idea what is going to happen. I think I like it that way. More unpredictable, the better.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Trudat.

It's definitely a fantasy on my part. But it's not just a random proposal either. Edmonton is desperate, and they should be, for size up the middle and better defencemen. And we need top line wings. The case for a trade is pretty damn good IMO.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
$7 mill a year for 2 years. That is what I would do as GM. End of story.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/report-iginla-bruins-start-contract-extension-talks

While Iginla was a good fit on the line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic during the regular season, the forward group underwhelmed during the postseason when long, cycling shifts didn’t consistently translate into goal production.

Which is why we also need some firepower types too. Our system sounds too much like this to me. I'll take Iggy to help get us to the playoffs, preferably 2nd in the division and let others pick it up in the playoffs.

LOL Iginla. :laugh:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
$7 mill a year for 2 years. That is what I would do as GM. End of story.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/report-iginla-bruins-start-contract-extension-talks

Which is why we also need some firepower types too. Our system sounds too much like this to me. I'll take Iggy to help get us to the playoffs, preferably 2nd in the division and let others pick it up in the playoffs.

LOL Iginla. :laugh:

you know i'm on board with this...add Iggy and a Vrbata type...then one vet defenseman...and make trades...lots can be done this offseason

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Any chance that Jarmo trades for the UFA rights to Ryan Callahan? The more I think about this, he makes a lot of sense here. Speed, he's got some skill and plays physical. Last time the Jackets did that, I believe it was Wiz that signed. I'm a firm believer that once you get a player here in town, they're as good as signed. Columbus has so much to offer and is really an underrated city IMO, biased, by my opinion.

Every sign in the world seems to suggest we're going to be making a big run at Callahan so yeah, I can def. see it happening. Probably a 3rd/4th Round Pick in 2015.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
you know i'm on board with this...add Iggy and a Vrbata type...then one vet defenseman...and make trades...lots can be done this offseason

If it takes $7M to get Iginla, then I would pass. I really like Iginla too, but that is just not worth the money. I like your Vrbata idea. He would be a really good 2nd line RW.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Every sign in the world seems to suggest we're going to be making a big run at Callahan so yeah, I can def. see it happening. Probably a 3rd/4th Round Pick in 2015.

Logic seems to point you there doesn't it. I'm not even convinced he's the right guy, but if he is their guy, I hope they commit and go after him hard.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If it takes $7M to get Iginla, then I would pass. I really like Iginla too, but that is just not worth the money. I like your Vrbata idea. He would be a really good 2nd line RW.

How much is 60 pts worth to you? Not saying he would do it here but he just did it. He's not going to come here with visions of a Cup dancing in his head so the only way we have a shot is to offer big bucks. And even then I doubt he'd come but I think its worth a shot.

LOL Iginla

Vrbata is more affordable but we're not going to get 60 pts or even close from him.

If Callahan is the choice and he signs for 6 or so they better be willing to pay Dubi the same or say goodbye. Expensive but if that is the market then so be it.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
How much is 60 pts worth to you? Not saying he would do it here but he just did it. He's not going to come here with visions of a Cup dancing in his head so the only way we have a shot is to offer big bucks. And even then I doubt he'd come but I think its worth a shot.

LOL Iginla

Vrbata is more affordable but we're not going to get 60 pts or even close from him.

If Callahan is the choice and he signs for 6 or so they better be willing to pay Dubi the same or say goodbye. Expensive but if that is the market then so be it.

Iginla's style would certainly fit here. He's is a player I love to watch. But as for a 60 point scorer, I wouldn't want to pay $7M a year for a 36 year old. If he were 27, then that's a different story. I think you'll see that he gets in the 5-6M range. Nash made 7.8M here for basically 60 points a year, situation was different though. If Iginla could be had for $5M, I would push all my chips in.

If I were calling the shots, I think I'd trade for a top line left winger and sign a #2 RW in free agency. I think I'd get bigger bang for my buck. It would allow for the prospects to develop properly and leave the flexibility to make a move later if a prospect is ready sooner. Kind of like the Red Wings have done over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad