2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't mind throwing an offer at Cammalleri, but 7 million? How many years are you giving him as hypothetical GM?
It's the open market, we will have to pay to get him here. I would said anywhere between 4-6 years.

In general terms:

RJU out and a UFA (hopefully) top-6 wing in? Backup goalie, maybe? That's it? Veteran depth, apart from Mackenzie, allowed to walk?

Pretty much. I doubt there is alot of roster turnover.

I left out re-signing Skille because I bet he tries to get not only a one way deal, which he will get, but also a 3rd line job. He won't get it here in all likelihood.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I still think that this club needs two top 6 forwards (one left, one right). There are two players that intrigue me, one we'd have to trade for and one is a UFA. Both have been mentioned in this thread. Patrick Sharp and Ryan Callahan. Sharp has a 5.9M cap hit for the next three seasons. He's 32 but he's productive and I think fits what the club is looking for. Chicago is going to need cap space to be able to extend both Kane and Toews and the Jackets can provide that to them. As for Callahan, he'd be great as a 2nd line RW and again fits the identity of the team perfectly. He's familiar with a lot of guys here, so there might be a comfort level here. Price tag is obviously a gigantic consideration.

If you could get Sharp for picks/prospects, dump RJ and sign Callahan to a reasonable contract, that would be a banner offseason and put this club into a position to take the next step.

Sharp-Johansen-Horton
Jenner-Anisimov-Callahan
Foligno-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Letestu-MacKenzie-Skille
Boll

Calvert?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I still think that this club needs two top 6 forwards (one left, one right). There are two players that intrigue me, one we'd have to trade for and one is a UFA. Both have been mentioned in this thread. Patrick Sharp and Ryan Callahan. Sharp has a 5.9M cap hit for the next three seasons. He's 32 but he's productive and I think fits what the club is looking for. Chicago is going to need cap space to be able to extend both Kane and Toews and the Jackets can provide that to them. As for Callahan, he'd be great as a 2nd line RW and again fits the identity of the team perfectly. He's familiar with a lot of guys here, so there might be a comfort level here. Price tag is obviously a gigantic consideration.

If you could get Sharp for picks/prospects, dump RJ and sign Callahan to a reasonable contract, that would be a banner offseason and put this club into a position to take the next step.

Sharp-Johansen-Horton
Jenner-Anisimov-Callahan
Foligno-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Letestu-MacKenzie-Skille
Boll

Where does Calvert go?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
It's the open market, we will have to pay to get him here. I would said anywhere between 4-6 years.

Too rich for my blood then. I don't see Cammy being worth 7 million a year, especially with that long of a term.

Good for him if he can get it. Based on his age (31), point totals the last few years and injury history (including a concussion), I was thinking he might get a contract similar to Jiri Hudler's one last year (4 years at $4 million), maybe up a million a year over that tops.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Anyone think we'll trade any pending UFA's for other's pending UFA's before the draft? Possibly even try to acquire a pending UFA with a pick?

A thread was just started on the mains suggesting Nikitin to TML for Raymond. I would make that deal. Both impending UFA's and if CBJ thought Raymond could help the top 6 and fit in their salary/team structure why not take a chance at negotiating?

I'm in agreement with others that I think an argument could be made for two improvements (skill improvement) in the top 6. Others may not agree but I only see Joey, Horton, Dubinsky and Jenner with the possibility of Foligno as top 6 talents that don't necessarily need sheltered. Anisimov could be a 2C with some talented wings I suspect. We have other players that border on top 6 talent who have some growing to do or are simply projected (Cam, Wennberg, Rychel, Bjorkstrand). I think this is an area that needs to be upgraded and not with a stop gap. I would prefer a longer term addition (player in early 20's that can grow and add to the top 6 for 5-7 years).

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Too rich for my blood then. I don't see Cammy being worth 7 million a year, especially with that long of a term.

Good for him if he can get it. Based on his age (31), point totals the last few years and injury history (including a concussion), I was thinking he might get a contract similar to Jiri Hudler's one last year (4 years at $4 million), maybe up a million a year over that tops.

I agree. $7MM sounds like a bit much for him. I don't see Columbus going the UFA route on players over 30 for long term deals. I still don't know if I believe Gaborik was in the CBJ long term plans from the time we acquired him. The buzz just doesn't seem to be there based on the teams makeup. I continue to think the goal will be to add an up and coming player that may not quite be on the radar but is on the cusp of top 6 play.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree. $7MM sounds like a bit much for him.

It is. Way too high. Maybe Florida would pay it, but they're nuts.

Dude hasn't played over 70 games since 8/9, the last time he had over 30 goals.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I still think that this club needs two top 6 forwards

It's an interesting thought and I think it gets to what I'll refer to as 'the Atkinson question'.

The CBJ middle six is unusual in that neither line is a classic 'third' line, and I think Atkinson is the wild card. What do you want your lines to do/look like/match up? What do you want from Atkinson? He has played best - it seems to me - with Calvert. But Calvert and Dubinsky aren't a classic 'second' line (not to dismiss their ceiling). Anisimov-Foligno isn't a classic 'third' line, either.

Now, I personally don't care about what a 'classic' line looks like, if the coaches/GM can find groupings that work for the lineup they want to ice. But...

It seems like Cam is the wild card. Do you want him on a matchup line with Dubi and Calvert? Do you want him higher in your lineup to maximize his offense? Can you improve his roster spot with someone else?

Secondary is the Jenner wild card. He would look good, IMO, with any of the top 9 'pairs' - Johansen-Horton, Anisimov-Foligno or Dubisnky-Calvert. (That's the way I look at them anyway, acknowledging what I said at the outset about the unique middle six).

So, the tl;dr version is this:
I think you need to decide or at least have a plan for Atkinson and, to a lesser extent, Jenner, when deciding whether the offseason should include one or two new wings.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm holding off on making offseason predictions until after the Umberger saga is resolved.

The compliance buyout window is June 15th-June 30th. If he isn't moved by the draft, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. Do they go ahead and sign a replacement anyways with the potential of still having Umberger on the opening night roster? Or do they just buy him out?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anyone think we'll trade any pending UFA's for other's pending UFA's before the draft? Possibly even try to acquire a pending UFA with a pick?

A thread was just started on the mains suggesting Nikitin to TML for Raymond. I would make that deal. Both impending UFA's and if CBJ thought Raymond could help the top 6 and fit in their salary/team structure why not take a chance at negotiating?

I'm in agreement with others that I think an argument could be made for two improvements (skill improvement) in the top 6. Others may not agree but I only see Joey, Horton, Dubinsky and Jenner with the possibility of Foligno as top 6 talents that don't necessarily need sheltered. Anisimov could be a 2C with some talented wings I suspect. We have other players that border on top 6 talent who have some growing to do or are simply projected (Cam, Wennberg, Rychel, Bjorkstrand). I think this is an area that needs to be upgraded and not with a stop gap. I would prefer a longer term addition (player in early 20's that can grow and add to the top 6 for 5-7 years).

We don't have a shortage of guys who can play top 6. We have more than 6 guys who are second line quality. Anisimov, for example, consistently scores at .5ppg, that's second line on most teams. What we lack is top line wings.

Mason Raymond adds to our big group of second liners. But he's not better than Foligno (although his shot makes him a better fit on the power play).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
On the main boards I floated the idea of Anisimov + for Sharp. The Hawks could use Arty better than we can, and we obviously want Sharp. How much of a + are folks willing to do?

I'm willing to offer:

Anisimov + Rychel for Sharp

Am I underselling Rychel here? I see him becoming a meaner Matt Moulson, which is pretty good but nothing we can't find elsewhere.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
On the main boards I floated the idea of Anisimov + for Sharp. The Hawks could use Arty better than we can, and we obviously want Sharp. How much of a + are folks willing to do?

I'm willing to offer:

Anisimov + Rychel for Sharp

Am I underselling Rychel here? I see him becoming a meaner Matt Moulson, which is pretty good but nothing we can't find elsewhere.

That deal is ridiculous. Sharp will be 33 next year ... trading a viable third line center (really, one of the better ones in the league) and one of the top goal scoring prospects in hockey for him, is nothing short of a Milbury.

Sharp maybe has 2-3 good years left in him. Unless we were to win the Cup during that span, that deal would look very bad in a few years.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That deal is ridiculous. Sharp will be 33 next year ... trading a viable third line center (really, one of the better ones in the league) and one of the top goal scoring prospects in hockey for him, is nothing short of a Milbury.

Sharp maybe has 2-3 good years left in him. Unless we were to win the Cup during that span, that deal would look very bad in a few years.

Sharp was one of the highest scoring wings in the league this year, to say he's almost done is what's ridiculous.

I think in three year's time he'll still be a better all around player than Rychel or Anisimov ever will be.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Will Anisimov be on your team in three years? Will he trend upward or is this what he is? Is there a player like Rychel in a position you could draft him in between now and three years from now? Would Rychel make the upcoming year's team? Would next year's team be better with Sharp than with Anisimov? What about in two years? Is Letestu a viable middle six center? Is it really only a good idea if you win the Cup in some arbitrary time frame?

I don't like the looks of that deal on the surface, but it's certainly defensible depending on one's answers to these (and probably other) questions.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
As you can guess, I like the trade idea because of the following answers:

Will Anisimov be on your team in three years?

I'm guessing not. He'll be a UFA, and there will be plenty of teams with more need for a big #2C than us (we will have two or more better centers).

Will he trend upward or is this what he is?

He hasn't trended upward in years. Maybe he would on a different team.

Is there a player like Rychel in a position you could draft him in between now and three years from now?

Maybe not. But we have a lot of other scorers coming up, and he could be the weakest all-around player.

Would Rychel make the upcoming year's team?

Not unless they get rid of the offsides rule and you could just permanently plant him in front of the other team's goalie, and don't ask him to skate or play defence.

Would next year's team be better with Sharp than with Anisimov?

Duh.

What about in two years?

Duh.

Is Letestu a viable middle six center?

Easily. He's better than Arty half the time.

Is it really only a good idea if you win the Cup in some arbitrary time frame?

No, but that helps.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Sharp was one of the highest scoring wings in the league this year, to say he's almost done is what's ridiculous.

I think in three year's time he'll still be a better all around player than Rychel or Anisimov ever will be.

Does Patrick Sharp put up those kind of numbers on a team that doesn't have players such as Kane, Hossa, or Toews playing around him? Also, let's not forget that this is the same player who scored 5 goals in 19 playoff games - a whole 2 before the Conference Final.

I'm not debating that Sharp is a good - borderline great - goal scorer, but to give up two major pieces for a guy who is as streaky as they come, is not a good move. And, he'll be 33 next year ...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
My optimistic Roster for next year

FORWARDS
Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Ryan Johansen ($5.000m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.500m)
Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Cam Atkinson ($1.150m)
Simon Hjalmarsson ($0.925m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Jared Boll ($1.700m)
Michael Chaput ($0.707m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Murray ($0.894m) / James Wisniewski ($5.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
Nick Schultz ($2.900m) / David Savard ($2.000m)
Dalton Prout ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($5.625m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($0.950m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
RETAINED SALARIES (2.14% of upper limit)
R.J. Umberger ($1.518m—33.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,750,142; BONUSES: $2,909,167
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,349,858

I think Ryan Callahan would be the perfect acquisition for us in the offseason. Add him and a healthy Nathan Horton in, and I think we beat the Penguins in 5 or 6 games if we play them again. Nabokov as a backup gives us a viable option should Bob struggle or go down with injury, as well as providing us with a mentor for him. I didn't have any other forward additions because, frankly, I don't think we need to throw a ton of money at guys who don't fit into our style. I would love to see a guy like Cammalleri or Moulson be successful here, but just don't see it being the right move for us right now. I have Simon Hjalmarsson making the team as a depth player, likely seeing some powerplay time. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he can be another Letestu type player for us; a depth guy that can chip in scoring here and there.

Defensively, I see no reason to do minor tinkering. I would love to see us get Christian Erhoff or similar, but I banked on the further development of David Savard, paired with Nick Schultz. Really, I think this is a more pressing need than a forward (especially if we can sign Callahan).

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
FORWARDS
Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Ryan Johansen ($5.000m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.500m)
Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Cam Atkinson ($1.150m)
Simon Hjalmarsson ($0.925m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Jared Boll ($1.700m)
Michael Chaput ($0.707m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Murray ($0.894m) / James Wisniewski ($5.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
Nick Schultz ($2.900m) / David Savard ($2.000m)
Dalton Prout ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($5.625m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($0.950m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
RETAINED SALARIES (2.14% of upper limit)
R.J. Umberger ($1.518m—33.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,750,142; BONUSES: $2,909,167
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,349,858

I think Ryan Callahan would be the perfect acquisition for us in the offseason. Add him and a healthy Nathan Horton in, and I think we beat the Penguins in 5 or 6 games if we play them again. Nabokov as a backup gives us a viable option should Bob struggle or go down with injury, as well as providing us with a mentor for him. I didn't have any other forward additions because, frankly, I don't think we need to throw a ton of money at guys who don't fit into our style. I would love to see a guy like Cammalleri or Moulson be successful here, but just don't see it being the right move for us right now. I have Simon Hjalmarsson making the team as a depth player, likely seeing some powerplay time. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he can be another Letestu type player for us; a depth guy that can chip in scoring here and there.

Defensively, I see no reason to do minor tinkering. I would love to see us get Christian Erhoff or similar, but I banked on the further development of David Savard, paired with Nick Schultz. Really, I think this is a more pressing need than a forward (especially if we can sign Callahan).

The easy thing to pick at here is 2.9mil for Schultz. I want Erixon in the lineup but if it's a big deal to have a vet I'd rather just pay Nikitin. Schultz is better then Edmonton made him look but I don't really want to pay him 2.9

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Are Erixon and Golo traded? Do you make offers to Mackenzie and Skille, or do you let them walk?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Are Erixon and Golo traded? Do you make offers to Mackenzie and Skille, or do you let them walk?

I'm of the belief that we can't keep all of the defensemen, and going with only three legitimate veterans in our lineup (Wisniewski, Tyutin, Johnson) would be a mistake. Imagine if one of those guys goes down long-term ... Then, factor in that Savard and Murray aren't going anywhere. Savard proved a viable option as a #5/6 guy who can play spot duty on the second powerplay unit. And, as a right handed shot, he's a nice fit on the third pair. Ryan Murray is ... well, Ryan Murray. Capable top-4 defensemen are hard to come by, and Ryan Murray is still only 20 years old.

That leaves one spot, which I think Dalton Prout is suitable enough for. Sending Erixon or Goloubef back to the minors is a mistake ... both guys are capable of playing in the NHL. Take your pick of the three, as to which one you retain ... I went with the big, physical presence. Add to that, we'll probably see greater returns on Erixon and/or Goloubef. Prout is a capable enough #7 guy for me.

I see no reason to keep Jack Skille around, personally. Especially if we sign Ryan Callahan ... Skille would at best be our 4th right wing, and would probably split duty with Jared Boll. I would love to keep Derek MacKenzie around, but I think Michael Chaput is going to make the team out of camp. MacKenzie is the only guy that I would really argue for keeping around out of the group you mentioned ... I thought he was stellar for us all year long, and played excellent in the playoffs.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

I think you sign MacKenzie for sure, I've made my thoughts pretty clear about him. With the Hjarmalsson signing, I think that makes Skille's chances of being re-signed shaky. If you don't re-sign Skille, then both Erixon and Goloubef are signed. If they choose to re-sign Skille, then I think Erixon will be back and Goloubef will be traded or not qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad