Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hi guys,

I need some feedback. I created a sheet in Excel, to help out with cap calculations and trade proposals. Can some of you guys please test and let me know what you guys think?

The workbook contains the following sheets:

- New York Rangers Salary Cap: This sheet contains all current players, including their cap hit for each season until 2021-22
- Contract details explained: This sheet has notes regarding Entry level contracts, No-move clauses, No-trade clauses, bonus systems and Pro-rated salaries
- Unsigned draft picks: Pretty self-explanatory, I guess

The following sheets are hidden, but can be views when you unhide them (right-click on one of the existing sheets and select "Unhide"):

- Pending UFA: Again, self-explanatory
- Other Forwards: All forwards contracted to the 29 other franchises, including pending UFAs
- Other Defensemen: All defensemen contracted to the 29 other franchises, including pending UFAs
- Other Goalies: All Goalies contracted to the 29 other franchises, including pending UFAs
- The sheets Offense, Defense, Goalies, are the sheets that include the Rangers players

- There is a total of 1440 non-Ranger players in the sheet, including contract status and cap hit (831 forwards, 458 D-men, 151 Goalies)
- In the first sheet, you can add players by simply clicking on the cells. Select a player from a different team and see what it does to the cap. You can delete them just by using the delete-button while selecting the cell. Same goes for current Ranger players, in case you want to trade or demote them
- Current season cap calculations. These convert the salaries of new acquisitions (i.e. players we trade for) to the pro-rated salaries which will count against the cap. For more info, see bottom of this message.

For the people interested: The calculations can be found on rows 46-49. Sum of the pro-rated salaries is cell D50, which is included in the formula in G38, to calculate the cap hit, which then is included in the SUM to make up the total Salary Cap Payroll.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/go4rr092oz2pclu/Trade calculations.xlsx?dl=0

Please check to see if everything is working. And feel free to use the sheet to calculate the cap of your desired Rangers team ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
problem though is that duclair wasn't playing against men. he was sitting and watching. if he was in the lineup every night then i'd agree with you but av clearly didn't have him in his top 12 and he wasn't going to play unless someone got hurt. no question playing in the nhl is better than playing in juniors...but playing in the WJC and memorial cup is better than not playing at all

Yeah but I think the biggest thing is that kids don't cheat because they don't know better, they cheat because they can and it makes them score more. Then they face a never ending hell week when they get up to the NHL or a good pro-league their first year, where they are taught what "not" to do. Then they get back to playing kids again and comes in with a swagger because of all the new things they have learnt from the best, and it just don't pay off nearly as well as the cheating would have done. Do you get what I mean?

Like one example, a winger floats because it gets him breakaways. You can't float in the NHL, ur unit would live in their own end. There is more room to do it in the Q.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
WHY?? Defense isn't the problem there buddy.. the story of our lives the past number of seasons is depth scoring..

The only thing wrong with our defense in past years, was the lack of offensive power it produced. That has been resolved with the addition of Dan Boyle.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
WHY?? Defense isn't the problem there buddy.. the story of our lives the past number of seasons is depth scoring..

The only thing wrong with our defense in past years, was the lack of offensive power it produced. That has been resolved with the addition of Dan Boyle.

Resolved how? Dan Boyle has 9 points in 30 games.

Last year, d-men contributed with with 130 points during the regular season. This year? On pace for a whopping 131 (132 if being generous).

Yes, the Rangers have a higher GF/G this year, but I'd say that has a lot more to do with Rick Nash than Dan Boyle.

BarbaraAlphanse

So AV now admits that Miller has some offensive chemistry with a key member of our team - Zucc.

Zucc has struggled incredibly on the 1st line, 5 v 5, this entire season.

And Miller has mysteriously been vanishing in and out of the line up since his re-call. His leash incredibly low.

I went to the game on Thursday. Lee Stempniak was great on the ice. I said that the problem with him was that he didn't provide that same effort and snarl to his game every game... He doesn't deserve to sit tonight, and Miller hasn't deserved to sit besides after that 1 game he NEEDED to play center. He plays much better as a wing than he does at center, so that drop off in effectiveness was entirely understandable.

I was on here several days ago bringing this point to light - why did AV tinker w/ the bottom 6? Why hasn't he taken Zucc off of the top 6?

It all fits in a puzzle if his goal this entire time is to show Glen that he needs a trade. Injuries happen during the playoffs - Alain has undoubtedly now shown Glen for about 5-6 games how an injury to any member in our bottom 6 not named Moore or Hagelin would cripple the effectiveness of the group as a whole.

Center. Miller fills the need on the 3rd line that Poo did last year.

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Hagelin-Vermette-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Zucarello
Hayes(Hagelin late in games)-Moore-Fast

There is your playoffs offense.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
ANTOINE VERMETTE http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468535

How're we supposed to get him in a trade?
I agree with u though - Rangers should strengthen their #center position.
I think Vermette salary is at 3.75$ mil, and u have some good points about Miller and Zucc chemistry this season.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

ANTOINE VERMETTE http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468535

How're we supposed to get him in a trade?
I agree with u though - Rangers should strengthen their #center position.
I think Vermette salary is at 3.75$ mil, and u have some good points about Miller and Zucc chemistry this season.

Thanks to darko a few pages ago, I understand what Tawnos was saying earlier in this thread about us having 6.5 mill in cap flexibility to work with at the deadline.

Rangers can add up to 6.5 mill prorated salary as long as the player they're getting is a rental.

Meaning they can easily fit Vermette and even someone like Sekera/Methot without moving salary.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, it's interesting - maybe Sather will make a move before
the trade deadline in March this year.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Resolved how? Dan Boyle has 9 points in 30 games.

Last year, d-men contributed with with 130 points during the regular season. This year? On pace for a whopping 131 (132 if being generous).

Yes, the Rangers have a higher GF/G this year, but I'd say that has a lot more to do with Rick Nash than Dan Boyle.

Don't forget that right now McDonagh is on pace for about thirteen less points.... if he kept is production up, along with Klein playing as well as he is I think the defense looks completely different when it comes to scoring.

Thanks to darko a few pages ago, I understand what Tawnos was saying earlier in this thread about us having 6.5 mill in cap flexibility to work with at the deadline.

Rangers can add up to 6.5 mill prorated salary as long as the player they're getting is a rental.

Meaning they can easily fit Vermette and even someone like Sekera/Methot without moving salary.

That is true it was a couple pages back
however, we will be giving up assets to allow people to walk away, I dont like that idea but if Sather decided to..... oh well

BarbaraAlphanse

Don't forget that right now McDonagh is on pace for about thirteen less points.... if he kept is production up, along with Klein playing as well as he is I think the defense looks completely different when it comes to scoring.

That is true it was a couple pages back
however, we will be giving up assets to allow people to walk away, I dont like that idea but if Sather decided to..... oh well

Merp. Keep the 1st next year. Only asset I think could potentially hurt to lose, if given up, is McIlrath.

Let's say they get Methot... can see Moore & a 2nd or 3rd.

Let's say they get Vermette...

can see both 2nd's, or McIlrath and a 2nd....

they can do these trades w/o giving away crazy good assets. Nevermind what the "reported price" is for Vermette. No one in their right mind would pay that price for a rental.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Merp. Keep the 1st next year. Only asset I think could potentially hurt to lose, if given up, is McIlrath.

Let's say they get Methot... can see Moore & a 2nd or 3rd.

Let's say they get Vermette...

can see both 2nd's, or McIlrath and a 2nd....

they can do these trades w/o giving away crazy good assets. Nevermind what the "reported price" is for Vermette. No one in their right mind would pay that price for a rental.

Well just remember that when it comes to the trade deadline...
David Legwand cost the Red Wings... Patrick Eaves, F, Calle Jarnkrok, F, 2014 cond. 3rd-round pick

Ryane Clowe cost the Rangers 2 2nd Round picks and a 3rd round pick.

I mean John Scott even cost a 5th round pick.

When it comes to the trade deadline and the price of a rental anything is more predictable.

BarbaraAlphanse

Well just remember that when it comes to the trade deadline...
David Legwand cost the Red Wings... Patrick Eaves, F, Calle Jarnkrok, F, 2014 cond. 3rd-round pick

Ryane Clowe cost the Rangers 2 2nd Round picks and a 3rd round pick.

I mean John Scott even cost a 5th round pick.

When it comes to the trade deadline and the price of a rental anything is more predictable.

Ryan Clowe cost the Rangers 2 2nd's. One of them was conditional. It turned out to be a 2nd a 3rd and a 5th, when all was said and done.

Can see same exact trade for Vermette going down.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Ryan Clowe cost the Rangers 2 2nd's. One of them was conditional. It turned out to be a 2nd a 3rd and a 5th, when all was said and done.

Can see same exact trade for Vermette going down.

why???

Ryane Clowe had 0 goals and 11 assist when he was coming here

Vermette has 11 goals in 49 games

Vermette has also been widely mentioned as the top center that will be an UFA come July these situations are totally different

Arizona is also in rebuild mode they will probably want a decent prospect in return

BarbaraAlphanse

why???

Ryane Clowe had 0 goals and 11 assist when he was coming here

Vermette has 11 goals in 49 games

Vermette has also been widely mentioned as the top center that will be an UFA come July these situations are totally different

Because no team will trade a 1st for 11 games of a player.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Because no team will trade a 1st for 11 games of a player.

Jaroslav Halak, G
Chris Stewart, F
William Carrier, F
2015 1st-round pick
2016 cond. 3rd-round pick

all of this got sent to Buffalo for Miller and Ott... mind you Ott did sign a contract and is still there but Miller left. it also doesn't just have to be a 1st it could just be prospects or players

BarbaraAlphanse

Jaroslav Halak, G
Chris Stewart, F
William Carrier, F
2015 1st-round pick
2016 cond. 3rd-round pick

all of this got sent to St Louis for Miller and Ott... mind you Ott did sign a contract and is still there but Miller left. it also doesn't just have to be a 1st it could just be prospects or players

Sorry, I meant a non-cornerstone rental.

Vermette is a role player. Ryan Miller was at one point considered the best goalie in the league.

Pretty sure Ott was the Sabres' captain, too.

And the Blues were actually very confident that they would be able to resign him. Totally different scenario.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Sorry, I meant a non-cornerstone rental.

Vermette is a role player. Ryan Miller was at one point considered the best goalie in the league.

Pretty sure Ott was the Sabres' captain, too.

And the Blues were actually very confident that they would be able to resign him. Totally different scenario.

He maybe a role player but when he is as said by some "one of the best trade chips" means that he will command a pretty good return.

BarbaraAlphanse

He maybe a role player but when he is as said by some "one of the best trade chips" means that he will command a pretty good return.

What leverage can a team have when a player is only guaranteed to play 11 regular season games for another team?

The value just isn't there to trade your best assets for a rental. This only makes less sense when the rental isn't a superstar/cornerstone player.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
What leverage can a team have when a player is only guaranteed to play 11 regular season games for another team?

The value just isn't there to trade your best assets for a rental. This only makes less sense when the rental isn't a superstar/cornerstone player.

exactly... especially when it comes to NY and the cap he would only play 20* games for the Rangers. after that he will be leaving now if you look at a team like Calgary right now they are on the verge of making the playoffs with a lot of cap space left to go. Now I didn't look at who was left to be resigned for them but arguably they would be willing to give up more to get there hands on someone like Vermette and then they even have the space to resign him. Winnipeg is another one, so on and so forth. It all depends on the situation when it comes time for the trade deadline.

BarbaraAlphanse

exactly... especially when it comes to NY and the cap he would only play 20* games for the Rangers. after that he will be leaving now if you look at a team like Calgary right now they are on the verge of making the playoffs with a lot of cap space left to go. Now I didn't look at who was left to be resigned for them but arguably they would be willing to give up more to get there hands on someone like Vermette and then they even have the space to resign him. Winnipeg is another one, so on and so forth. It all depends on the situation when it comes time for the trade deadline.

That is a different story - but it is hard to see a team ponying up great assets if they can't resign a player.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The player doesn't have to be a rental. He can be on a long term deal. The prorating applies either way. The Rangers would just have to deal with his full cap hit for constructing next years roster.

BarbaraAlphanse

The player doesn't have to be a rental. He can be on a long term deal. The prorating applies either way. The Rangers would just have to deal with his full cap hit for constructing next years roster.

Well that certainly makes Joe Thornton possible - with implications of losing key players next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia