Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Moore was better under Tortorella. The Rangers are better off trading him because they should not pay him anything more than his current salary. He can file for arbitration. Newport will make him look like McDonagh in their brief. Not qualifying makes him a free agent.
Moore played 25 games under Tortorella.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I dont disagree with you here, but I also don't think the Rangers will do this fresh off a trip to the final and with only a few more years of Lundqvist playing like a hall of famer.

Hank has - potentially - nearly another decade of HoF play in him. I don't think we're going to see his play drastically slip over the course of his new contract.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Hank has - potentially - nearly another decade of HoF play in him. I don't think we're going to see his play drastically slip over the course of his new contract.

Hall of Fame play till 43? That ain't gonna happen

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC

That is way too far of a stretch. We would be incredibly lucky to even have 5 Vezina discussion worthy seasons of him. Number 2 Rangers aren't resigning a 40 year old guy to be their starting goalie.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I hope you're right, but it spits in the face of whats happened to a ton of goaltenders past the age of 35.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I get trade Zucc looking at the very near future, but that is only because of MSL and that scares me the most right now.

How does this team look without -- both -- MSL and Zucc in the not so distant future if that is done? It's a heck of a lot of creativity out the window. We don't have the centers to play without -- very -- creative wingers AND we definitely do not have the fire power on the blueline to play without a lot of offensive creativity to open things up up front.

It's stupid cheating to look past the above problem and disregard Zucc as easy as some are doing. Where are the offense coming from without MSL and Zucc? "But Ola, Zucc has 1 goal his last 9 games what are u talking about??" That's not what offense is about, that's not what hockey is about. You need certain things to be successful, thanks to Zucc and MSL, guys like Brass and Step as well as many others get -- room -- to play there game. Every pass every shift counts. These guys are definitely part of the puzzle or whatever cliche is best used.

Duclair has nothing to do with this, he isnt a playmaker.

Buchnevich? One he isn't signed and he is playing in the KHL. I expects him to come over, but I don't know more than anyone else. Two, he is creative down low, not nearly as creative as either MSL or Zucc are from their own end and up. The later two architects much of their units offense from when we win the puck in our end and UNTILL we get it to the offensive blueline, Buch is creative 15-20 feets from the net, AND he isn't a playmaker. He can make real strong set up plays, but he is far from being as versatile as MSL or Zucc when it comes to setting things up. Three, the kid is real young. It can take 4-5 years before he really comes into his own.

Are we giving up on a 27 y/o Zucc just because we have Buch? Seems premature. Very premature. Are we doing it because we have a 41 y/o MSL?

You know, I think it's problematic to give up on Zucc. It's not hard to make a very strong argument for why it makes more sense for the team to move Klein than Zucc to be honest. If a pairing of Staal-Klein can't move the puck against better teams, one of them needs to go on the 3rd pairing, meaning Klein slides down. Replace him with McIlrath, add a nice return in a Klein trade, and keep Zucc. Trade Hagelin for a young kid with size, think Jimmy Hayes or someone like that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Take this roster and remove all creativity on the wings within 15 months, smart right? Why don't everyone else see how smart that is? It's business we don't understand.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Take this roster and remove all creativity on the wings within 15 months, smart right? Why don't everyone else see how smart that is? It's business we don't understand.

Your viewpoint is awfully simplistic.

But to answer your question, I'd rather lose this creativity and deal with the consequences than overpay for it in terms of years/dollars.

All that creativity hasn't saved Zuccarello from having a poor season thus far.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Your viewpoint is awfully simplistic.

But to answer your question, I'd rather lose this creativity and deal with the consequences than overpay for it in terms of years/dollars.

All that creativity hasn't saved Zuccarello from having a poor season thus far.

MZA's poor season might be the best thing the Rangers could have asked for from a negotiation standpoint. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if he was tearing it up and the Rangers were on top of the league, but as long as they make (and he shows up in) the playoffs, this might actually help wrt the cap.

MSL, and I've maintained this for awhile now, better be prepared to take a hefty paycut. $3.5M is even too much in my opinion. The guy has made his money, and specifically forced his way here to both retire and compete for a Cup. He owes the team (yes, literally owes) for the sacrifices they made to bring him here, and he has to understand that his contract demands will go a long way in determining how hard it will be to improve/sustain the roster while he keeps active.

The ideal situation in my eyes is they win the Cup this year and he hangs 'em up. If he comes back, I will be very disappointed if he's making anything close to superstar money moving forward.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
MZA's poor season might be the best thing the Rangers could have asked for from a negotiation standpoint. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if he was tearing it up and the Rangers were on top of the league, but as long as they make (and he shows up in) the playoffs, this might actually help wrt the cap.

MSL, and I've maintained this for awhile now, better be prepared to take a hefty paycut. $3.5M is even too much in my opinion. The guy has made his money, and specifically forced his way here to both retire and compete for a Cup. He owes the team (yes, literally owes) for the sacrifices they made to bring him here, and he has to understand that his contract demands will go a long way in determining how hard it will be to improve/sustain the roster while he keeps active.

The ideal situation in my eyes is they win the Cup this year and he hangs 'em up. If he comes back, I will be very disappointed if he's making anything close to superstar money moving forward.

i just hope Slats and co don't resign him and its at the cost of of resigning any of our others.. bc that would be terrible..

however i think we sign who we can, wait for the cap, and then resign him (no threat he resigns somewhere else)

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Probably the most frustrating thing is that right now, I don't think either Zucc or MSL is worth $5M.

Which they could probably get on the open market. Zucc being more of a stretch currently.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We tried getting rid of small, creative wingers and make a lineup of sandpaper. It was 2010-11 and it sucked. Brian Boyle was one of our best offensive players. Guys like Zuke and MSL are necessary.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We tried getting rid of small, creative wingers and make a lineup of sandpaper. It was 2010-11 and it sucked. Brian Boyle was one of our best offensive players. Guys like Zuke and MSL are necessary.

Who are you talking about? Other than Zherdev and maybe Prucha, which creative wingers did we get rid off? The biggest omissions between 2008-09 and 2010-11 seem to be Drury, Gomez and a retired Naslund. The 10-11 team looks very similar to to the 09-10 one except that Callahan and Gabby missed ~20 games each

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Who are you talking about? Other than Zherdev and maybe Prucha, which creative wingers did we get rid off? The biggest omissions between 2008-09 and 2010-11 seem to be Drury, Gomez and a retired Naslund. The 10-11 team looks very similar to to the 09-10 one except that Callahan and Gabby missed ~20 games each

Yea, I don't get it.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Probably the most frustrating thing is that right now, I don't think either Zucc or MSL is worth $5M.

Which they could probably get on the open market. Zucc being more of a stretch currently.

This is what the problem is... no one wants to just get rid of Zucc or MSL. That's not what's going on.

The question is can we afford to keep them?

The decision(s) isn't made in a vacuum. Tough calls are going to have to be made, but honestly with what we've seen from Zucc and even Hags, would an upgrade (not knowing how) be that bad? I don't think so.

For all Zucc's (& to an extent MSL) playmaking ability it seems to me that finishers are harder to come by on this team rather than playmakers.

Everyone out there wants to pass it to someone... we actually need a guy or two who is selfish and wants to rip it into the back of the damn net.

Just my opinion but I'm certainly more in favor of trading/bolstering the offense rather than sacrifice Klein on a great contract so we can keep all of our so called playmakers.

And to be clear I like Zucc, he's a small guy who plays big. I love his heart. But we can't pay him what he may want/could get.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Oh man, Zherdev.

I wish I could understand the guys who have all the talent in the world but can't put it together in their heads how great they can really be.

I like to think if I had that talent what I'd be able to do in the NHL :laugh: then I get sad that I'm a number crunching cubicle sitting leg blood clotting ******.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Duclair starting slow, in a league he hasn't played in in months, at a pace slower than anything he's played at all year, with half a new team he's never played with?

Yup, those 7 games are very concerning. Come on now.

I've seen this oh so many times. So many that I don't really like kids going back to juniors, it's not easy to explain while there naturally are a few things to point at, but kids often struggle if they go back to juniors after playing half a year or so against men's.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I've seen this oh so many times. So many that I don't really like kids going back to juniors, it's not easy to explain while there naturally are a few things to point at, but kids often struggle if they go back to juniors after playing half a year or so against men's.

It's a really good reminder that these guys, especially the young ones, are still human beings. What separates the good from the average at these high levels is usually intangible things like decision making speed and desire. Ducalir is physically gifted enough to still score in the Q is he isn't all there mentally, but he's not going to dominate unless he decides to.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

problem though is that duclair wasn't playing against men. he was sitting and watching. if he was in the lineup every night then i'd agree with you but av clearly didn't have him in his top 12 and he wasn't going to play unless someone got hurt. no question playing in the nhl is better than playing in juniors...but playing in the WJC and memorial cup is better than not playing at all

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Duclair probably thinks he should be with the Rangers, not back in Major Junior. Sometimes it takes a while for kids like that to get back into the level they should be (though he's been back there what 3 weeks?)

I'd move Zuccarello if he wants a penny more that what the Rangers want to give him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad