Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Hanzal is available. That is different from past years. I see Hanzal play every night and no question I'd include JT any others in a deal for him. Very valuable and affordable long term piece. He would give the Rangers a 3 deep at center they could keep together for years.

Called this 2 weeks ago. There is really not 1 player that should ever be considered unavailable for a team unless that player is one that the team is preparing to build a nucleus around.

Hanzal is too injury prone to be that player for any franchise.

I love JT. I wouldn't include him in any trade, willy nilly. But I'd have to really think hard about pulling the trigger if much more didn't have to be added for the Rangers afterward.

I'd probably choose not to include him, ultimately. But Hanzal would be someone i'd really pursue if he was within our means to get him.

I can't see Miller being their target, though, in a trade of high scale. Duclair will probably be the guy that they target, and actually - i'd be 100% more willing to trade Duclair for Hanzal as a centerpiece, than Miller.

Miller is a guy who can make a difference game in and game out, physically or via talent. He just hasn't learned defensive consistency/smart defensive decisions, just yet.

Duclair is a guy who I gander will seem invisible when a team is able to mute his razzle dazzle. He needs a lot of work on his play away from the puck. JT... he's, believe it or not, closer.

BarbaraAlphanse

Lirl Curtis Lazar for Vermette?!?

That's insane...

Honestly, that's all speculation.

It's like if I were to come on the board and say, Rangers called about John Scott, Dylan McIlrath might have been mentioned on a return package.

Doesn't mean much. Ottawa Sun is notoriously wrong w/ trade packages, too. Garrioch once mentioned that Rangers offered Stepan, Kreider, and a 1st and that the Blue Jackets were holding firm on also getting back Erixon or Miller.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I know you have to give to get, but I think NYR would be essentially throwing away the insane drafting luck they've had if they traded Miller, Buch, Duke, or Skjei. Not only were they lucky to get those guys, but they're going to need them next year and the following one in a big, big way with the cap.

Any deal that includes them for a now player is one that warrants very serious thought IMO.

BarbaraAlphanse

I know you have to give to get, but I think NYR would be essentially throwing away the insane drafting luck they've had if they traded Miller, Buch, Duke, or Skjei. Not only were they lucky to get those guys, but they're going to need them next year and the following one in a big, big way with the cap.

Any deal that includes them for a now player is one that warrants very serious thought IMO.

Vermette is a now player.

Hanzal could potentially be a now and future player.

It would be a fair trade. Potential for potential. Hanzal's potential when healthy vs. Duclair/Miller's potential to develop.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Besides Miller, do you really think one of those guys will be making an impact with the Rangers next year? I dont.

BarbaraAlphanse

Besides Miller, do you really think one of those guys will be making an impact with the Rangers next year? I dont.

I think Duke or Buch could put up 30-40 points next year, in the right situation. But a lot would have to break right.

Duke needs a lot of work away from the puck. A lot of work defensively. A lot of work to bulk up.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Tbh BRB, depending on how we do re-signing our players i could absolutely see Duke starting the year with the team. I also see Skjei going he McDonagh route next year for the 6D spot a few months in. I think the Rangers trade John Moore at the deadline and going into next year they sign a cheap vet for the 6D spot based on where they think Skjei is.

Buch should start in hartford.

Not sure if Miller will be here past the deadline. He is our best trade chip.

SLE17

Dec 21, 2011
NJ
Any possibility the Devils might be willing to part with Adam Larsson? Thinking he would be a nice and very reasonably price (cap wise) addition to the back end.

BarbaraAlphanse

Moore had a good game last night. Some gaffs, but a lot of positives.

If this is a showcase, he earned some value for us. He needs defensive simplicity to be successful.

He wasn't effective in Torts' system by chance. Torts system was simplistic for defenders. Clog the lanes. Dump the puck. Clear the zone.

There wasn't much focus on transition passing. Wasn't much focus on creative decisions w/ the puck.

AV's system is more dangerous because it is smarter and more creative. It also relies on the defenders to think in the moment.

Moore isn't the brightest on the ice. His decision making is bad. He needs more simplicity. He's not a bad prospect, just in a bad position under this coach.

Him & 3rd for Methot.

Go out and get another guy for the bottom 9.

BarbaraAlphanse

Any possibility the Devils might be willing to part with Adam Larsson? Thinking he would be a nice and very reasonably price (cap wise) addition to the back end.

I don't think the Devils and Rangers have ever made a trade w/ each other.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

It would be a fair trade. Potential for potential. Hanzal's potential when healthy vs. Duclair/Miller's potential to develop.

Sure, but you need to add the bonus cap space that would come with Duclair/Miller in addition to their potential to develop. The value of that space is directly related to the team's cap situation, and the NYR cap situation makes that space very, very valuable.

It's so far out and they're playing in leagues pretty removed from the NHL, so I'm not even going to speculate.

However, I don't really see the cap working without one of those guys at least playing NHL minutes next year.

Miller in particular, I just don't see how he can possibly be traded and this team can fit under the cap next year without either taking a complete flyer on a cheap UFA to play big minutes, or betting that Duke or Buch can play real minutes.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hanzal is available. That is different from past years. I see Hanzal play every night and no question I'd include JT any others in a deal for him. Very valuable and affordable long term piece. He would give the Rangers a 3 deep at center they could keep together for years.

Hanzal is one player I'd be legit excited about. He has the size, strength and a bit of a mean streak to him and is in his prime. Solid 2-way center. I'd include Miller for him as well.

He would fill multiple needs and he'd be around past this season. Could the Yotes be interested in Hagelin? Let Hayes play wing for a couple of years with Hanzal.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Likely see Duke heading West for Hanzal.... if it happens . Miller won't be enough and he could be a great cost controlled asset for us next season now that he has played this season with us . Buch....could make the team next season and being a Euro guy he is more skilled in many ways than Duke and likely could play here next season plus he is playing against men RIGHT NOW . Hanzal fills us a need now and the Future....we have to have him as I brought this up almost a month ago when we were talking on Centers to target and he was not even on the radar . He will be expensive if he is in play......definitely will require a 1st rounder and it has been said the Yotes want Duke and the Domi duo in the desert .

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

If there is a choice, I would be FAR more interested in Hanzal than Vermette. He is a longer term solution to the 3C spot and he adds much needed size and strength. His cap hit is a beaut as we'll.

If I had a choice between One of Hagelin/MZA or Hanzal I'd choose Hanzal. Organizational depth is solid at wing. Center is not as strong. Hayes. Miller. Lindberg. Miller looks like a winger. Lindberg looks like a 4th liner which is not a put down. Hayes has the skill set to be a center but it may be a good idea to snag someone who can play center for the next couple of years while he works on the rest of his game at the NHL level.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think they'd really, really regret moving Duclair for Hanzal.

It's a dance trying to stay competitive now and set yourself up to be competitive in the future.

There's some players I'd move one of those guys for, I think Hanzal is too underwhelming to be one of them.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hanzal is not at all underwhelming. He's an excellent player.

That being said, I am not interested in trading more than 1 bluechipper for him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

That being said, I am not interested in trading more than 1 bluechipper for him.

A big, defensive 3C with a career high of 40 points and a decent injury history is pretty underwhelming in my opinion when we're talking about getting them in exchange for a blue chip prospect for a team that desperately needs both prospects and cheap NHL players.

I wouldn't even consider moving more than one top prospect for him. One alone is huge gamble IMO.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Hanzal is one player I'd be legit excited about. He has the size, strength and a bit of a mean streak to him and is in his prime. Solid 2-way center. I'd include Miller for him as well.

He would fill multiple needs and he'd be around past this season. Could the Yotes be interested in Hagelin? Let Hayes play wing for a couple of years with Hanzal.

I admit to not knowing much abut Hanzal, but is it correct to call him a third line center? He's been around awhile now, so I think he is what he is, and that seems to be a big, 40ish point center that is good on draws. Does he PK?

I'd be hesitant to move guys like Miller or Duclair for that. Maybe I'm missing something though.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

For me, it's more important to keep the next group of players coming (Duclair/Buch) than keeping Miller, Fast, Lindberg or Hayes. Keep 3 of the 4 forwards. Hayes. Fast. Lindberg. Let them come up and develop as the new young forwards. Miller to me is the player I would move.

After this group there will be a need for another wave in a year or 2. Keep the players who have a good chance at being that next wave.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I admit to not knowing much abut Hanzal, but is it correct to call him a third line center? He's been around awhile now, so I think he is what he is, and that seems to be a big, 40ish point center that is good on draws. Does he PK?

I'd be hesitant to move guys like Miller or Duclair for that. Maybe I'm missing something though.

He's a 2/3C. He PK's and is a physically strong player at 6'6. He is a match up nightmare for most big centers. I would say 40 points is about right but his puck possession, defensive play and physicality would be what would be his best assets. He isn't a slouch offensively either.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
A big, defensive 3C with a career high of 40 points and a decent injury history is pretty underwhelming in my opinion when we're talking about getting them in exchange for a blue chip prospect for a team that desperately needs both prospects and cheap NHL players.

I wouldn't even consider moving more than one top prospect for him. One alone is huge gamble IMO.

Not a 3rd line center.

He's done all of this on a garbage Phoenix team that sucks at everything.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada

I have to agree ....a guy like Duclair should be enough ....or more than enough . LOL...it would be sweet although next to impossible though that Sather got the Yotes to carry a half million of his salary though for a year or two....crazier things have been done by Sather and the Yotes should have tons of Cap space....

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not a 3rd line center.

He's done all of this on a garbage Phoenix team that sucks at everything.

He would really be the ideal addition. From the games I have seen of him he consistently matches up against the other teams best big centers. Use his to his strengths and let Brassard be the more offensive compliment on the 2nd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad