Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building Part XVIV: Everything is Happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
This looks extremely realistic; very nice work. However, I would say keep Hagelin and let MSL walk. I've seem enough from him this year, and he's not getting any younger. If he steps his game up 3 or 4 notches for the playoffs, then maybe I consider keeping him around. Maybe.

Only thing is that 5th coming from Dallas in the Glass trade would have to be a 2016 if the Rangers dealt him after July 1st.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Only thing is that 5th coming from Dallas in the Glass trade would have to be a 2016 if the Rangers dealt him after July 1st.

Yeah, though I think everybody would take that deal as well.

And Stepan is still a RFA so he shouldn't be under UFA, but that's just technical, otherwise looks pretty good. Let's hope for something like that if Hagelin is dealt.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is a good point. Having msl and zucc in the top 6 is a factor to consider. I would argue zucc plays bigger than his size but msl is a perimeter player. If msl isn't producing he is a net - player IMO. I always enjoyed the physical hockey but this current team has won me over. We have to stick to our game which is speed. We are no doubt going to have to deal with the crease issues but if we get teams playing from behind and our pp is clicking that's our best approach. If talbot could bring back prospect that fits our system I do it in heartbeat.

Teams like the blue jackets are so superior for the physical brand we would be nuts to even engage in that style. Besides they are their own worst enemy, injuries galore. If the refs pull the let em play bs it means we are in trouble. My biggest pet peeve is if it's a penalty reg season it's penalty playoffs. The slower physical teams always push this mantra. La got away with a lot.

Agreed.

And I especially think that it's the battles infront of both nets that really matters, litterary. Not in a cliche way where we talk about going to the net and putting pucks on the net and bla bla bla. It's having players that are good at engaging a D infront of the net and create havoc and win battles there. You can say a lot about Bickell, but he is good at that. Clifford, Nolan and co, these guys really puts pressure on the net. We also really don't have a overly physical blueline. We als do not have that real physical precense on the 4th line.

My point is just, Hayes has helped a lot in making us bigger. Kreider can keep improving in terms of going to the net especially. But in terms of net precense, we are pretty flat.

Also, MSL and Zucc are real small. But it's also players like that and Yandle and Boyle that enables you to carry these PFs. Bickell is successful in CHI thx to Kane,Toews and Keith and co, Clifford and Nolan thx to Doughty and Voynov (historically) and Kpoitar and so forth. Like a Foligno in Buffalo is much less effective, because what these guys have down low they give up in the neutral zone. They need a lot of help to get up ice.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lucic only got fined for that.

FWIW--I don't think it's very comparable to the stuff that Cooke, Torres and Kaleta have done over the years. I'd rather take a shot in the nuts (however painful) than get my knee wrecked or be concussed two-three years down the road--like Beukeboom or Sauer. And that's part of what's going on here--however ****ed up it is on Lucic's part there's no real injury involved or likely to happen with that. That's why the **** Cooke, Torres and Kaleta pull is much worse. They really have injured numerous players--some of them very seriously. And we can look even at some of the league's stars--Ovechkin up to the last couple years used to take big runs at players and aim up high. Malkin has over the course of his career several times slew footed opponents--which is an extremely dangerous play.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

Good point. Granpa parked the Delorean somewhere in the boonies (where he does not remember where) so time travel is not an option either. 2016 it is, I stand corrected

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Agreed.

And I especially think that it's the battles infront of both nets that really matters, litterary. Not in a cliche way where we talk about going to the net and putting pucks on the net and bla bla bla. It's having players that are good at engaging a D infront of the net and create havoc and win battles there. You can say a lot about Bickell, but he is good at that. Clifford, Nolan and co, these guys really puts pressure on the net. We also really don't have a overly physical blueline. We als do not have that real physical precense on the 4th line.

My point is just, Hayes has helped a lot in making us bigger. Kreider can keep improving in terms of going to the net especially. But in terms of net precense, we are pretty flat.

Also, MSL and Zucc are real small. But it's also players like that and Yandle and Boyle that enables you to carry these PFs. Bickell is successful in CHI thx to Kane,Toews and Keith and co, Clifford and Nolan thx to Doughty and Voynov (historically) and Kpoitar and so forth. Like a Foligno in Buffalo is much less effective, because what these guys have down low they give up in the neutral zone. They need a lot of help to get up ice.

I agree with this to an extent, its the biggest gripe I have with Miller's game right now because if he were getting more engaged in front of the net, his line would be even better than they've been.

But at the same time, this isn't something that is flat per se, its just not there consistently enough. This team's bread and butter will always be scoring off the rush, but when they ripped off 14 of 15 or what ever it was, they scored a ton of "dirty" goals in addition to cashing in by using their speed (plus the PP was on fire.)

Playing the "what if" game is pointless though. We could do that with literally every other team and the overwhelming majority of them have more glaring flaws that will be more likely to be their death knell come playoff time.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I do think that Talbot will be traded at the draft for a high second. This replacement tour has really propped up his value to the several teams that need a NHL ready goaltender. That will help.

Doubt Hagelin will be traded and if he was, the best I think you will get back is a mid/high second.

Remember that MSL can get a "Shanahan" contract with a $1MM base and bonuses spilling into the following season. Like it or not, that's going to be an option here.

It will push cap issues down the road a year. A lot can happen in a year.

But that said, the Rangers are not going to be anywhere near the roster teardown facing several other teams.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I do think that Talbot will be traded at the draft for a high second. This replacement tour has really propped up his value to the several teams that need a NHL ready goaltender. That will help.

Doubt Hagelin will be traded and if he was, the best I think you will get back is a mid/high second.

Remember that MSL can get a "Shanahan" contract with a $1MM base and bonuses spilling into the following season. Like it or not, that's going to be an option here.

It will push cap issues down the road a year. A lot can happen in a year.

But that said, the Rangers are not going to be anywhere near the roster teardown facing several other teams.

This is a great point, Bob. For all the handwringing going on over the team's cap situation, it's actually been handled quite deftly. Given the team's recent success and a flat cap, you'd expect to see them in much worse straits than they are. Basically their only dilemma , is Hags vs. MSL - or, as you suggested, keep both with MSL on a Shanahan deal. That's a lot better than the Bostons and Chicagos of the world have managed things.

And if they can trade their backup goalie for a decent 2nd at the draft, they should do it and run laughing to the bank.

I still hate the MSL deal from last year though. :)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The majority of the bonuses in the Shanahan contract were absorbed in the 07-08 salary cap. It was $2.5M base with a $2M bonus for playing 10 games in 07-08 including $800,000 in playoff bonuses. If the Rangers rolled the bonus into 08-09,it would not have the same factor as rolling the bonuses into 16-17 with MSL. The cap went from $50.3M in 07-08 to $56.7M in 08-09. Boston got burned with the Iginla bonuses.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
One item about trading a goalie for a pick. In 2013 draft the Devils traded their #9 overall pick to Canucks for Cory Schneider. So if a team is very desperate for a goalie, Rangers could trade Talbot and may get lucky to get a very high first round pick; already mentioned in here, but Edmonton is a possibility. Personally, I like Talbot and I think the goalie duo of Lundqvist and him is a good one to keep as long as you can, so I'm not a big fan of trading Talbot any time soon.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers may have an issue with the 50-contract limit, but the Blueshirts — who will lose Cam Talbot to free agency over the summer of 2016 if Henrik Lundqvist’s understudy is not traded before then, and perhaps (much) sooner rather than later depending on interest this summer — are expected to be in on the bidding for Boston University’s pending free-agent goaltender Matt O’Connor.

O’Connor attended the Rangers’ development camp last summer. The question is whether a backup job on Broadway would have appeal to a young man who will no doubt be pursued by clubs with an opening at No. 1.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/07/players-not-system-led-devils-to-1995-cup/

The Rangers have 49 SPCs right now.

It was 48. Duclair and Moore went for Yandle and Summers.

Stempniak for Klingberg

A 4th for Sheppard

49 SPCs

O'Connor will get a contract which begins this season. He is 23. 2 year ELC. One year is used for this season.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
http://nypost.com/2015/03/07/players-not-system-led-devils-to-1995-cup/

The Rangers have 49 SPCs right now.

It was 48. Duclair and Moore went for Yandle and Summers.

Stempniak for Klingberg

A 4th for Sheppard

49 SPCs

O'Connor will get a contract which begins this season. He is 23. 2 year ELC. One year is used for this season.
Brooks: Rangers Expected to be Players for BU Goalie O’Connor

Last week, Darren Dreger reported that 14 clubs had expressed interest in signing O’Connor, including as many as 5 promising NHL playing time this season.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Hagelin would easily garner a late first imo. If Troy Browuer could garner one BEFORE he broke out, than so can Hagelin, who is a rarer type of player than Brouwer.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would think signing O'Connor would signal a Talbot trade.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

This is what i was hoping would happen, but do you really feel like it's played out that way? Before these last two games I feel as though Cam had been hurting his stock while starting.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
This is what i was hoping would happen, but do you really feel like it's played out that way? Before these last two games I feel as though Cam had been hurting his stock while starting.

He's been very good the last few games. Most notably the past couple of games against elite teams like the Preds and Red Wings.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Someone on the main boards is offering up Edmonton's 1st in 2016, which is probably again going to be a really high draft pick.

Would you guys trade Hagelin, Talbot and Klein for that pick? I think the value is actually pretty fair. We could get a potential franchise player and we free up a lot of cap space.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Boychuk went for two 2nds in October. All of these players were traded for #1 picks with many of them being rentals. Nick Leddy moved for a good prospect. The Rangers move Hagelin at the draft. The acquiring team will negotiate the new contract with his agent Pat Brisson.

I love the posts where the Rangers should keep Hagelin,MSL and their D. How is that working financially?

Did anyone see Sather's full press conference from last Monday? He acknowledged they are in a tough spot with the cap.

The Rangers need to fill out the roster.

The US dollar is very strong. The Canadian was strong for a while. The Euro used to $1.30-40 to the US dollar. $1.08 on Friday. If we are in for a period of time where the loonie is trading below 80 cents,all of those cap projections of $75M for 15-16 and $80M for 16-17 are not happening for a while. Some of the teams negotiated contracts factoring a cap much higher than $71M or $72M best case scenario if the PA votes for the inflator.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Someone on the main boards is offering up Edmonton's 1st in 2016, which is probably again going to be a really high draft pick.

Would you guys trade Hagelin, Talbot and Klein for that pick? I think the value is actually pretty fair. We could get a potential franchise player and we free up a lot of cap space.

I would make that deal but I feel if the Oilers were really dangling their own first round pick there would be better offers out there.

I mean if you break it down, the Oilers would get a young 3rd liner with 30-40pt potential that's a RFA, a second pairing Dman on a good contract for a couple more years, and a goalie that has never started more then 50 games.

Also offer was proposed by a Rangers fan.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
RB- I agree 100%.

We must accept the situation, I have always forecasted a high cap, IIRC 80m next year. A slow market in China, the situation in Ukraine, Middle East and more importantly the new gas in the US has torpedoed to oil price and the economy is very slow all over in general. All over countries are trying to torpedo their own currency. Any product manufactured in a country can be sold at a cheaper price outside the country if the currency is low, most countries other than the US lives and dies with exports. So does Canada. A 25% drop in the loonie and Canadian oil, minerals engines produced by Bombardier or whatever can be sold 25% cheaper, or with a higher margin whatever you choose.

There are reason to believe that the USD will be high for a bit of a time, 2-3 years more isn't out of the question. After that it's anyone's guess. These things changes always, because after a while the countries with a low currency picks up speed.

This means that the caps growth can be slow for a year or two more, and then it will be back to normal. Down the road we could see a huge growth when the loonie picks up speed again, but if that's in 2 years or 5 years or 8 years, is kinda hard to tell.

Anyway, with a rapidly growing cap long contracts kind of pays it self. A player signed under a 50m cap is a bargain under a 70m contract. Now it's the time to be a bit cautious. Keep space and not make misstakes. I preached the opposite when the cap was growing, it's not anymore.

We also must count on what's unforseen today. Today we might wanna keep everyone, in May we desperately might wanna be tougher, and in May 2016 we might wanna get faster. We could loose any player on the roster forever tonight and any other night. And more and one player too.

I liked what I saw from McIlrath last night, for the first time ever. I've maybe seen him 15 times, before I've liked what I hoped to see some rather in than later. Time passed. But last night he played like a stay at home D on a top pairing should play. He was in the AHL kinda what a Seabrock is in the NHL. How do we handle him? As a 7th D next year? we make room for him in the top 6? What's MSLs plans now and what will they be after the POs? Hagelin looks worried not he ice and credible people like BBKrs with excellent inside info reports he is worried. How much of a hometown discount is he willing to take? 2 years and a good deal? 5 year at a secure my future rate?

There are a lot of questions and many issues. Many options. But we really need to manage our cap going forward and sometime there will be casualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA