Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building Part XVIV: Everything is Happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Mikos- Good point, on the other hand Talbot is a UFA and will surely walk next summer. So we will have to replace him in a year no matter what. If we can get a good return for him next year (this draft or at the deadline?) it's a factor to consider for sure.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Mikos- Good point, on the other hand Talbot is a UFA and will surely walk next summer. So we will have to replace him in a year no matter what. If we can get a good return for him next year (this draft or at the deadline?) it's a factor to consider for sure.

1.45 is a lot for a back up even though he's certainly earning it. Someone brought up an Enroth or like for 1 mil. I think we're gonna need that extra 450k.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
If the desperate Oilers offer the PIT 1st or their own 2nd for Talbot, you take that and run. Gives us a chance to replenish the farm while also getting maximum value out of a guy who will surely walk next summer.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
If the desperate Oilers offer the PIT 1st or their own 2nd for Talbot, you take that and run. Gives us a chance to replenish the farm while also getting maximum value out of a guy who will surely walk next summer.

That's exactly it. Talbot is a trade piece. He's undrafted iirc and he can easily get a 2nd round pick in the draft next year (not necessarily an early 2nd) and 2015 will be a very deep draft. And by doing that and signing a cheap veteran backup, we could save a few hundred thousand dollars on the cap which is a win no matter how you look at it.

The Rangers have been fortunate to get a solid talent like this for practically nothing, and being he'll almost surely walk after next season, you should sell him while he's high and run with the value. And if he can be part of a possible bigger package, there's always that option as well. However, due to not having any 1st round picks the Rangers might want to sell him for a late 1st or EDM's 2nd, which would be equivalent to a super late 1st. The Rangers should not balk at that, unless they plan on dealing him at next year's deadline.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Wha? I thought that the reports were rampant that he's selfish, uncoachable and basically a headcase?

I think those reports are just crap. I haven't seen anyone reputable say anything about Yakupov. He's been much better under an actual NHL head coach.

If you got a link to Bob, Dreger, Friedmann, etc discussing it, by all means link me to it. But I'm pretty sure those rumours were made up by Edmonton media to take heat off the front office for ****ing with Yak's development, because their media are basically the Old Boys' puppets.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

while it is healthy to listen to all offers, there would be an automatic and obvious + in shipping Talbot out west --- much smaller chance of coming back to bite in the ass.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
while it is healthy to listen to all offers, there would be an automatic and obvious + in shipping Talbot out west --- much smaller chance of coming back to bite in the ass.

really depends on whether Allaire clears Skapski to be able to play on the level of a backup by that time...

I think it's more than forseeable

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
really depends on whether Allaire clears Skapski to be able to play on the level of a backup by that time...

Skapski won't be looked at as an option to be the backup next season, it makes no sense to have a 21 (?) year old riding the bench. He needs to be in the AHL playing everynight.

If someone meets their price for Tablot, which hopefully is a top 40 pick, one of Entroth, Lindback, Gustavsson or Greiss could be looked at as a backup on the FA market.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Agreed.

Skapski won't be looked at as an option to be the backup next season, it makes no sense to have a 21 (?) year old riding the bench. He needs to be in the AHL playing everynight.

If someone meets their price for Tablot, which hopefully is a top 40 pick, one of Entroth, Lindback, Gustavsson or Greiss could be looked at as a backup on the FA market.

That depends on exactly how much Hank wants to work to keep sharp.
It would be smart to begin NOW cutting games in order to not overwork/lengthen career.

If Hank takes 2/3s of the load, that remainder would be enough for Skapski as backup, IMO. Plus if need be they can always hire some retired vets to give him extra shot practice.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There is a reason he dropped to the 3rd round. And another reason why we only picked him with our 3rd pick in that round, after Tambo and Buch.

Yet Buchnevich - also a 3rd round pick and still Rangers property - continues to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Funny how that works.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Thanks to AmazingKreiderman, I can make this cap/team proposal:

- Main factors being Step, MSL and Hags agreeing to my contracts.

Step, 4yrs 5.5
MSL, 2yrs 3.5
Hags 3yrs 3.3

(I would have loved it to be a picture, that you don't have to download the file, alas.)

We have trade room too, considering our prospect should be getting a look.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

Step, 4yrs 5.5
MSL, 2yrs 3.5
Hags 3yrs 3.3

(I would have loved it to be a picture, that you don't have to download the file, alas.)

Can you explain to me how it makes any sense at all to give MSL a 2 year deal? Like how does it make any sense to give a guy who's clearly in decline a 2 year deal? if he gets injured and ends up retiring, we're stuck with the full cap hit, there's no buyout to lessen the hit. MSL is clearly a shell of his former self, and it would be an insult to the franchise to give him anything more than a 1 year deal on the super duper cheap.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Can you explain to me how it makes any sense at all to give MSL a 2 year deal? Like how does it make any sense to give a guy who's clearly in decline a 2 year deal? if he gets injured and ends up retiring, we're stuck with the full cap hit, there's no buyout to lessen the hit. MSL is clearly a shell of his former self, and it would be an insult to the franchise to give him anything more than a 1 year deal on the super duper cheap.

It doesn't. It makes no sense at all. He's going to demand and get 2 years, that's my thinking.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Step, 4yrs 5.5
MSL, 2yrs 3.5
Hags 3yrs 3.3

Hint:

- Select all cells after finishing your calculations
- Copy
- Paste in MS Paint
- Save picture
- Upload to a site like http://imgur.com
- Post the link to that picture here

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Ygkkz3t.jpg

Tadaaa! Thx dude, that went fast, easy and satisfying.

But I see, I forgot the Redden and Beaver buyouts apparently?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
If we're signing Stepan, we should be signing him for max length, something like 8 years 50 million, he's someone we want to be locked up for a long time. Hagelin is someone where if he demands something like $3.3, we should let him walk, he's not worth it as a bottom 6 player.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Hagelin is easily worth up to 3.5 IMO. His importance to this team is so underrated.

He's a bottom 6 player. He's got speed, but is an offensive quagmire and really hurts his line offensively. He's got defense, but that's so easy to find. He's very easily replaceable. He might be underrated, but so is Dom Moore, but he's also very easily replaceable.

It would make more sense to use Hags as trade bait for picks or part of a bigger package and use the money elsewhere.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is more realistic

1eSAYnq.gif

Lindberg, Miller, Fast, Klingberg, and McIlrath are all on 2 year bridge deals for their QO's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad