2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
More from Garrioch

Arizona (don’t call me Phoenix) Coyotes GM Don Maloney is trying to move salary and clubs believe pretty much every player on the roster is available. There will be lots of interest in defenceman Keith Yandle. He is one year away from UFA and is going to demand big bucks. Lots of teams — including Dallas and Winnipeg — are looking for defencemen, and Yandle fits the bill. He isn’t the only one who is going to move — the Coyotes are pretty much resigned to the fact they aren’t going to keep centre Antoine Vermette, who will make upward of $6 million (if not more) in free agency

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/12/20/blue-jackets-are-going-to-do-their-best-to-re-sign-nick-foligno

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Yandle and Vermette are our top two in points, it is pretty much given we are getting rid of Vermette so to give up Yandle as well we would once again give up our top two guys in points. We gave away 2 of our top 5 last season and we all know how that turned out.

I'm pretty happy with our defense players right now, if we lose Yandle along with a fading Z then we need to patch those holes as well. Let's keep Yandle, try to fix our issues with forwards and next season if he is too expensive shop him them.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think he won't be a Coyote past the draft. Wait around long enough for the right offer and he's just going to walk as an UFA.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Everything about his demeanor has always screamed loyal and captain material, to me.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we're without Yandle, I like this group:

OEL - Boychuk
Gormley - Stone
Methot - Murphy

Let's say 5.5 for Boychuk and 5 for Methot.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If we're without Yandle, I like this group:

I like Boychuk, but he'd probably want extra money to go to a non contender. He won't sign with the Isles for whatever reason and they're good, so who knows what is going on with him?

I'd rather focus on Franson. He's not perfect, but he brings a lot of the same at a younger age.

In this, I traded Boedker and Gagner for Lindholm and Semin (20% retained). The thinking is that Gagner isn't good enough to be a 2C, and gets pushed out of the top 6 anyways, so he's useless in this lineup. Carolina needs to get out of that Semin contract, and they're using Lindholm as a wing right now. They could use a few young, cheap players while ditching most of that contract. Semin and Gagner have no practical trade value. Lindholm for Boedker is close. Maybe the Canes add a sweetener. Yes, Don Maloney is scared of Russians. But he's fired in this scenario. Semin can bounce back in a new situation with quality linemates. It's a gamble, but there's no other way to pull a PPG RW out of thin air. You could possibly pawn Korpi or Chipchura off on Carolina in this scenario.

Foligno to term to get his AAV down, Dorsett and Comeau to three year deals at the cheapest they'll sign. Buyout Smith to get his mopey ass away from the team, sign any 1B you like. Comeau and Dorsett are tier 1 4th liners that can play up and down the lineup without being totally useless. They also bring hitting and the odd fight. Lindholm is a hedge against Dvorak/Dauphin not being ready.

FORWARDS
Nick Foligno ($5.500m) / McEichelStrom ($0.900m) / Alexander Semin ($5.600m—20.00%)
Tobias Rieder ($0.853m) / Elias Lindholm ($0.925m) / Shane Doan ($5.300m)
Max Domi ($0.894m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Henrik Samuelsson ($0.894m)
Blake Comeau ($2.500m) / Joe Vitale ($1.117m) / Derek Dorsett ($2.500m)
Brandon McMillan ($0.688m) / Jordan Szwarz ($0.630m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($5.500m) / Cody Franson ($4.500m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Connor Murphy ($0.863m)
Brandon Gormley ($1.151m) / Michael Stone ($1.150m)
Chris Summers ($0.600m) /

GOALTENDERS
Devan Dubnyk ($2.500m)
Michal Neuvirth ($2.500m)

BUYOUTS
Mike Ribeiro ($1.444m)
Mike Smith ($1.167m)

CAP PAYROLL: $58,025,778

If bringing in Ulf, I'd trade Yandle in order to make room for Marc Staal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like Boychuk, but he'd probably want extra money to go to a non contender. He won't sign with the Isles for whatever reason and they're good, so who knows what is going on with him?

I'd rather focus on Franson. He's not perfect, but he brings a lot of the same at a younger age.

In this, I traded Boedker and Gagner for Lindholm and Semin (20% retained). The thinking is that Gagner isn't good enough to be a 2C, and gets pushed out of the top 6 anyways, so he's useless in this lineup. Carolina needs to get out of that Semin contract, and they're using Lindholm as a wing right now. They could use a few young, cheap players while ditching most of that contract. Semin and Gagner have no practical trade value. Lindholm for Boedker is close. Maybe the Canes add a sweetener. Yes, Don Maloney is scared of Russians. But he's fired in this scenario. Semin can bounce back in a new situation with quality linemates. It's a gamble, but there's no other way to pull a PPG RW out of thin air. You could possibly pawn Korpi or Chipchura off on Carolina in this scenario.

Foligno to term to get his AAV down, Dorsett and Comeau to three year deals at the cheapest they'll sign. Buyout Smith to get his mopey ass away from the team, sign any 1B you like. Comeau and Dorsett are tier 1 4th liners that can play up and down the lineup without being totally useless. They also bring hitting and the odd fight. Lindholm is a hedge against Dvorak/Dauphin not being ready.

If bringing in Ulf, I'd trade Yandle in order to make room for Marc Staal.

Just sign Foligno and call it a day.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm sure Carolina would laugh at Boedker and Gagner for Lindholm. I can't imagine them considering such a thing. Maybe if we add Gormley, Murphy or Stone. I don't want to do that, though.

5.5 won't get Foligno to a ****** team. We'd have to beat literally every other offer other than Edmonton. I'm thinking seven years, 48-50mil. He's maybe my favorite non-Coyote in the NHL but he's not worth that.

I LOVE the idea of buying out Mike Smith. I can't imagine IA being able to green light that. Maybe Barroway can. If I'm Barroway and Maloney approaches me for permission to buy out Smith, I give him permission and the fire him ten minutes after its done. Maloney should buy out Smith. Maloney should be fired for it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sign me up for Derek Dorsett. His game is the missing piece for the McMillan/Vitale line.

I understand the thinking behind Semin, but even if the Hurricanes offered maximum retention, I’d pass. His reputation for enigmatic, listless play is everything that’s wrong with this team. That on top of his salary seems way too much of a risk. Let Carolina deal with that contract.

Although I doubt it happens, I don’t mind the idea of moving Boedker. Sort of hitting the reset button in the sense that we’ve taken him as far as we can. Flyers HFers want a scoring winger. Maybe a deal for Brayden Schenn makes sense. Boedker and Schenn should be making similar dollars next season as well. I’d try something similar with Lucas Lessio. Give him full-time NHL minutes once we start clearing out some bodies. If he doesn’t show much after 40 games, move him for a similar aged prospect at a similar career point.

I think Foligno will re-sign in Columbus and Marc Staal will re-sign with the NYR. I’m crossing my fingers on Boychuk having interested in Arizona. If we’re lucky enough to land McDavid, maybe we see an immediate attraction from UFAs, like Pittsburgh did after the lotto balls gave them Crosby.

I’d give Mike Smith one more year behind a competent defense before going the buyout route. If he still can’t get it done, then you look at your options. We could lose Dubnyk over it, but there are always a handful of useful backups available for about $1M.

My attempt:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

Mikkel Boedker ($4.500m) / Connor McDavid ($3.775m) / Sam Gagner ($3.200m)
Max Domi ($0.894m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.950m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.925m)
Tobias Rieder ($0.853m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Henrik Samuelsson ($0.894m)
Brandon McMillan ($0.700m) / Joe Vitale ($1.117m) / Derek Dorsett ($2.500m)
Jordan Szwarz ($0.630m) /

Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($5.500m) / Johnny Boychuk ($5.500m)
Brandon Gormley ($1.100m) / Michael Stone ($1.150m)
Marc Methot ($5.000m) / Connor Murphy ($0.863m)
Chris Summers ($0.600m) /

Mike Smith ($5.667m)
Devan Dubnyk ($1.200m)

BUYOUTS
Mike Ribeiro ($1.444m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,062,778; BONUSES: $996,667
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $16,937,222

A few notes:

I’ve moved out Vermette, Michalek, and Erat for picks. Hopefully a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for the three. We need to do what it takes to dump Chipchura and Korpikoski. Get rid of their future salary by taking on cap dumps this year. Moss, Crombeen, Hodgman, and Schlemko all hit UFA.

I left out Doan mostly because I couldn’t figure out where he fit in the lineup, and I suppose there is still a possibility, albeit very small, that he’s traded. I’ve also traded Yandle to Detroit. They have an impressive group of young, cost-controlled talent and can afford to move two of those players plus their 1st for Yandle. In this case, I picked Sheahan and Jurco as both bring size, speed, and skill, but considering Detroit’s collection of young forwards, any combination should work, plus that 1st rounder. Also of note, McDavid’s (or Eichel’s) salary is a carbon copy of MacKinnon’s in that it includes his bonuses.

Overall, it's a young group, perhaps too young, although that changes if Doan stays. I think this group kills off the uninspiring, same-old, same-old play we've seen over the last few seasons. Overall, I think it's an energetic, exciting, and skillful group.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm sure Carolina would laugh at Boedker and Gagner for Lindholm. I can't imagine them considering such a thing. Maybe if we add Gormley, Murphy or Stone. I don't want to do that, though.

Lindholm has yet to crack 40 points, even prorated. You can only coast on potential for so long. He hasn't even shown as much as guys like Kadri and Schenn. Yeah, Carolina sucks so his numbers are suppressed a bit, but so are Boedker's. I can understand Carolina valuing the potential highly but to say it's completely off value wise, I disagree. He's 20 and in his second season but I don't see him coming close to being a #1C. Taking Semin's contract off their hands also represents a lot of value.

The idea is to parlay Boedker into a #2C, possibly one that is still young with upside. Scoring wingers are easier to come by, and there's nobody on the UFA market that can really feel that gap. This team absolutely has to get Gagner out of that #2C spot. The other option is to trade Yandle.

If Dubnyuk usurps the starting role, Smith may just ask for a trade.

No one will take him unless a significant asset is stapled to him. Eff that.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think you're grossly undervaluing Lindholm, XX. Guy is only in his second season on a depleted Carolina team but is currently on pace for a 20/20 season. His overall production through his first 100 games is comparable to Kadri's and Schenn's. Way too early to call his ceiling a 2C.

I'd kill to have Lindholm on the Yotes but Carolina isn't moving him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think you're grossly undervaluing Lindholm, XX.

I'm not valuing the potential the same because I've got him pegged at the same tier as the guys you listed. It's definitely too early for Carolina to consider moving him, because stranger things have happened than a 20 year old player getting better. Two seasons too early. Trade target at the 2017 draft ;)

Trying to find a center is kind of ridiculous.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There are cap problem contracts that can be acquired. Biggest negotiation is on how much salary can be retained. They have warts (Lecavalier, Richards, etc.) but they can certainly play on our skill-deprived team. If we get Eichel or McDavid yeah we don't need them but we have options if we draft higher than 2. Just need someone to hold a spot for 2-3 years.

Keep in mind if we do want to pay Vermette anywhere close to $6 M we may be a player on July 1. Term is the issue.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I had some Flyers fans agreeing to some sort of Boedker for B. Schenn trade. I could still see that as a possibility. Also, I could see Vermtte in Montreal, maybe a deal around Eller and a pick/prospect.

I'm going to sound kind of an insane person right now, so bare with me. I think Smith could easily have a bounce back season next year. I think it's safe to say it will be very hard for the team to be worst next year; whether that is from drafting a McEichel or making some big trade around Yandle. If he does rebound then he may be worth hanging onto, but he will also bring his value up. I could see some desperate teams try to pick him up if he can play lights out again.

I think landing a McEichel should attract UFA's and Foligno and Boychuck, but ownership will have to show they are willing to pay. Neither player will be cheap. I'm thinking 6+ for either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad