2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Wow, I didn't realize how much Scrivens makes! $2.3M? What the hell, Edmonton. They did this with Dubnyk too. He was making 3.5M there.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Wow, I didn't realize how much Scrivens makes! $2.3M? What the hell, Edmonton. They did this with Dubnyk too. He was making 3.5M there.
There's a lot of teams overpaying at this position. Doesn't necessarily prove anything but interesting it is that Anaheim and Tampa lead their respective conferences in points and are in the bottom 5 in payroll at the goaltender position.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Another perhaps interesting tidbit. There are only two qualified goalies that have a worse save percentage than the Arizona #1 Goaltender and they both play for Edmonton.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Even with an expanded budget, I don't want to pay Vermette market value. He's a highly effective player and I love him, but even if he's crazy enough to look at his best UFA offer on the market and take a 10-15% discount to sign with Arizona (why would he? we suck!) he's too pricey. Multiple teams will pony up offers too large to justify. Even if we get a discount.

Just because you get more money doesn't mean you have to spend it unwisely. Hell, it's our mistakes (Ribeiro and Smith) that have made our budget an issue for us. It's not even really the actual dollar amount of our budget, it's the dollars within the budget that we are wasting on bad decisions.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Even with an expanded budget, I don't want to pay Vermette market value.

Me either, unless last night's Tobi Rieder Show is a signal of a 25-game win streak. At the rate we're playing, I'd rather deal Vermette for future assets and then develop from within.

And I say this having gone on the record earlier this year saying that we might want to resign him even if we were sucking - because back then I couldn't conceive of just how awful this team is, and because I didn't think that the team needed the "burnt-to-the-ground" style of culture change that it so obviously does.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can just imagine the anchors and crap deals that are being thrown at MacT right now. I hope GMDM is in on that either now or post-Barroway.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Eberle is one of the 'losers' in Edmonton that Ference referred to in his post game rant. So you pony up enough to trade for him... and he goes right to a losing AZ team.

Yeah, no. Pass.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think it depends on who is available. According to Dreger, the Oil want a 2C and a goalie for Eberle. We could send them Vermette, but we don't have the second piece to send them as Smith doesn't want Edmonton and Edmonton doesn't want Dubnyk.

So then it's a question of who else is available. We know Perron is out there. Have the Oilers reached the point where Hall is available?

I also have to wonder about the comment "We have to know what we have with Brandon Gormley." Both Tippett and Maloney have said this. Does it mean "he's ready for the NHL so let's see what we've got" or does it mean "is Gormley at or reaching the point where it makes Yandle expendable?"

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd much rather extend Vermette at the 6M/year Eberle is currently making than give Eberle that money to be a 1D floater here. And I've been pretty vocal about trading Vermette ASAP lol and absolutely not giving him 5m+ lol.

I think MacT is panicky enough to sell low, but I doubt he'll do it with Hall.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Based solely on his performance Monday night, MacT can keep Taylor Hall.

Granted he looked terrible last night (turnovers galore), but I don't think we're in a position to flatly reject a young, 80-point forward. I'm sure Tipp & Co. can beat the Edmonton out of him as they have (as they are) with Gagner.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Granted he looked terrible last night (turnovers galore), but I don't think we're in a position to flatly reject a young, 80-point forward. I'm sure Tipp & Co. can beat the Edmonton out of him as they have (as they are) with Gagner.

It's about price. The Oilers may be panicky but they're probably not going to just dump star players.

I'd take Eberle if they want Smith, but Smith would never waive.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014

It would cost our right nut though and I am quite fond of it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd much rather extend Vermette at the 6M/year Eberle is currently making than give Eberle that money to be a 1D floater here. And I've been pretty vocal about trading Vermette ASAP lol and absolutely not giving him 5m+ lol.

I think MacT is panicky enough to sell low, but I doubt he'll do it with Hall.

He'll have to get more panicky to sell at all, I think. I think he still wants full franchise player price on his guys. And everyone else can see the warts on them. That's why there hasn't been a deal.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think Eberle is being too harshly criticized here. Ference is the loser. Guy does nothing but make stupid decisions on the ice that hurt his team. Eberle is supposed to be a sneaky goal scorer. He does what he does pretty well, I think. It's not up to him to be the heart the soul or the defensive conscience of that Oilers squad.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think Eberle should recognize a defensive assignment and limit the number of times he turns over the puck by trying to stick-handle around people or making a high-risk play. He could also at least try to cover his guy. It's his 5th year in the league, not his first or second. So far he hasn't shown any commitment to any system. He's the first guy out of the zone and the last one back. He's a pond hockey player. A very skilled one. Our coach just turned on our dipsy-doodlers two games ago. At a certain point, he either cares or he doesn't. And based on the "moping" comments, I don't think I'd touch him. I don't think it's a good fit. Especially on that contract.
Ference is an overpaid #5-6. It's not his fault Edmonton signed him to a big contract. He has a great reputation coming out of Boston. He's their captain, so I assume he's in touch with the room. He's also never been accused of not caring.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think Eberle is being too harshly criticized here. Ference is the loser. Guy does nothing but make stupid decisions on the ice that hurt his team. Eberle is supposed to be a sneaky goal scorer. He does what he does pretty well, I think. It's not up to him to be the heart the soul or the defensive conscience of that Oilers squad.

then you obviously don't know Ference, rt, there's a reason why Andrew says what he said.... Ference was brought there to be what Chara is to Boston or what the combinations of Yandle/OEL are to the Coyotes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it depends on who is available. According to Dreger, the Oil want a 2C and a goalie for Eberle. We could send them Vermette, but we don't have the second piece to send them as Smith doesn't want Edmonton and Edmonton doesn't want Dubnyk.

So then it's a question of who else is available. We know Perron is out there. Have the Oilers reached the point where Hall is available?

I also have to wonder about the comment "We have to know what we have with Brandon Gormley." Both Tippett and Maloney have said this. Does it mean "he's ready for the NHL so let's see what we've got" or does it mean "is Gormley at or reaching the point where it makes Yandle expendable?"

What you want and what you get are two different things.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Ference is now an over-the-hill bottom pairing defenseman, but he was absolutely a key leadership cog for the Bs during their 2 Cup runs and embodied the Bruins ethos as much as anyone. Its not his fault that he's overpaid and being misutilized by an organization that is pretty much the polar opposite of Boston.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
When a respected veteran levels criticism like that at teammates within earshot in a very public way, you know that room is toxic. Doesn't matter what Ference is on the ice. He's paid to be what he is off it. Does it really surprise anyone that players in Edmonton don't care about winning? If they play bad, they might just end up with a trade out of that hellhole.

They need to get Draisaitl away from that environment ASAP.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
In this article it talks about Florida looking to get rid of some of their players and willing to take salary back:

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-rumor-mill-december-3-2014/

This might be a great opportunity to shed a salary and player like Korpikoski to pick up one of their guys on an expiring contract. It would then free up a roster spot.

So, Korpikoski for one of Tomas Fleischmann, Sean Bergenheim or Tomas Kopecky. Kopecky and Bergenheim are the closest in salary to Korpi. Again, I'm looking to free up money for next year and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad