2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
B. Schenn is like a less ****** version of Gagner. I'd rather keep Boedker. Having a 2C that needs to be sheltered by stronger lines doesn't work on a team devoid of forward talent.

ROR is the ideal center for this team. It's just a shame he'd cost assets to get.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm going to sound kind of an insane person right now, so bare with me. I think Smith could easily have a bounce back season next year.

He's a below average goalie who had a good 1.5yrs Can he get hot again for 1.5yrs, sure I guess, am I betting anything more than $20 bucks, NOPE!

All of us knew it was a bad contract because he hadn't proved he could continue his success. He's a 1-hit wonder, got paid and will now be in the same conversation as goalie mistakes like "Bryz", "DiPetro", etc...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If Dubnyuk usurps the starting role, Smith may just ask for a trade.

Nobody will want Smith at 6 mill a year. Even if we retain 50%, I don't think there are any buyers. The new owner could bite the bullet and buy him out if we really want to get rid of him.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to sound kind of an insane person right now, so bare with me. I think Smith could easily have a bounce back season next year.

Nah, I'm with you. If Smitty wants out and/or if there's a taker out there who will get us out of his contract w/ few strings attatched, we should explore that deal obviously. But I think he can rebound w/ a more physical/experienced blueline in front of him. Sacking Playfair would also be addition from subtraction.

Ribs's buyout is killing us though - I highly doubt ownership even w/ Barroway will give Maloney a 2nd mulligan.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Nobody will want Smith at 6 mill a year. Even if we retain 50%, I don't think there are any buyers. The new owner could bite the bullet and buy him out if we really want to get rid of him.

Oilers, Flyers are two teams that would view Smith as a considerable upgrade. Carolina? There's a market.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I truly hope that is the case, it would be a miracle to unload that contract.

It was the first BIG mistake made by GMDM. When it was announced it was the first time I even thought of Maloney being fired.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
For some reason I doubt the Flyers bite on a Coyotes goalie who is playing below average. It didn't go so well for them when they signed one who was playing much better. I doubt even the Flyers are that desperate for a backup!!!

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It was the first BIG mistake made by GMDM. When it was announced it was the first time I even thought of Maloney being fired.

True, he ate up a lot of his "goodwill" with that mistake. It only takes 1 bad contract with a poor team to absolutely ruin the franchise.

He'll have to get some more Rieder/Kessey trades to get back to where he was

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
If that happens then I will be on the bandwagon to fire DM. Eight years is too long for any player.
... except Yandle and OEL. You break the bank to keep that guy. There's a money limit and I don't know exactly what it is, but Yandle never gets hurt and he's the kind of defenseman who is going to age like Niklas Lidstrom and Sergei Zubov. When he's old and retired, we'll look back and say he played his best hockey from 32-35. (... and call me on it in 15 years if I'm wrong haha)
There are cap problem contracts that can be acquired. Biggest negotiation is on how much salary can be retained. They have warts (Lecavalier, Richards, etc.) but they can certainly play on our skill-deprived team. If we get Eichel or McDavid yeah we don't need them but we have options if we draft higher than 2. Just need someone to hold a spot for 2-3 years.
Richards is enticing, Lecavalier isn't. That said, given Richards's history, the Kings being willing to trade him to us could be a huge red flag.
True, he ate up a lot of his "goodwill" with that mistake. It only takes 1 bad contract with a poor team to absolutely ruin the franchise.

He'll have to get some more Rieder/Kessey trades to get back to where he was
He made a couple this summer. Sam Gagner is 8th on the team in scoring, 6th among forwards, which is approximately where he should be. We got him for 1/2 of a 6th! Vitale and Dubnyk were both deals this summer. Klinkhammer for anything is a win too. Not robbery, but a win.

I started to write, "don't totally write off EDM for Mike Smith because I could see massive renovations happening up there this summer and a big-time goalie could be part of it" but then I remembered that DM gave him a NMC. Why the **** did he do that?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I started to write, "don't totally write off EDM for Mike Smith because I could see massive renovations happening up there this summer and a big-time goalie could be part of it" but then I remembered that DM gave him a NMC. Why the **** did he do that?

Smith is very competitive. He may prefer playing as a starter on any team than being a backup for us. I see Flyers, Oilers, Toronto, and maybe even San Jose being interested.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Toronto??? They currently have 2 goalies at least as good as Smith making less than half Smith's salary. Why would they ever trade for a down grade.
Smith is very competitive. He may prefer playing as a starter on any team than being a backup for us. I see Flyers, Oilers, Toronto, and maybe even San Jose being interested.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Toronto??? They currently have 2 goalies at least as good as Smith making less than half Smith's salary. Why would they ever trade for a down grade.

I guess for Toronto to have interest their goalies would have to make them miss the playoffs or have a quick exit from them. That fan base is very hungry, but they would be further down the list of possible teams that would have interest in him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

For Smith to be traded, the following would have to happen:

1. DM wants to trade him. I think this is a given, if we could.

2. Smith has to wave his NMC. This is not likely.

3. Somebody has to want him as a starter or back up. This is likely.

4. We would have to retain salary as nobody will take him a 6 mill plus years left on contract. Not likely but could happen with new owner.

Another option is to buy him out. Again, not likely but could happen with new owner. I think we are stuck with Smith for the duration of his contract. Maybe he turns it around, but that is not likely either.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Ok, but I think you are 50% correct that your 96% sure that it's 98% and not 97%.:)
Animated_boy_math.gif

Chiasson for Gormley
Why?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nah, I'm with you. If Smitty wants out and/or if there's a taker out there who will get us out of his contract w/ few strings attatched, we should explore that deal obviously. But I think he can rebound w/ a more physical/experienced blueline in front of him. Sacking Playfair would also be addition from subtraction.

Ribs's buyout is killing us though - I highly doubt ownership even w/ Barroway will give Maloney a 2nd mulligan.

I think he can and will rebound. When he signed that contract I think it went to his head and he thought his s--- didn't stink. By benching him now for a number of games might finally hit home. I hope it does anyway.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
... except Yandle and OEL. You break the bank to keep that guy. There's a money limit and I don't know exactly what it is, but Yandle never gets hurt and he's the kind of defenseman who is going to age like Niklas Lidstrom and Sergei Zubov. When he's old and retired, we'll look back and say he played his best hockey from 32-35.

I agree. I have no issues giving either Yandle/OEL a max term contract. Especially if it keeps AAV lower.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
... except Yandle and OEL. You break the bank to keep that guy. There's a money limit and I don't know exactly what it is, but Yandle never gets hurt and he's the kind of defenseman who is going to age like Niklas Lidstrom and Sergei Zubov. When he's old and retired, we'll look back and say he played his best hockey from 32-35. (... and call me on it in 15 years if I'm wrong haha)Richards is enticing, Lecavalier isn't. That said, given Richards's history, the Kings being willing to trade him to us could be a huge red flag.He made a couple this summer. Sam Gagner is 8th on the team in scoring, 6th among forwards, which is approximately where he should be. We got him for 1/2 of a 6th! Vitale and Dubnyk were both deals this summer. Klinkhammer for anything is a win too. Not robbery, but a win.

The only player I would give a 8yr contract would be a generaltional talent, and even then I would have to be sure. Everyone else can go pound sand.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
For Smith to be traded, the following would have to happen:

1. DM wants to trade him. I think this is a given, if we could.

2. Smith has to wave his NMC. This is not likely.

3. Somebody has to want him as a starter or back up. This is likely.

4. We would have to retain salary as nobody will take him a 6 mill plus years left on contract. Not likely but could happen with new owner.

Another option is to buy him out. Again, not likely but could happen with new owner. I think we are stuck with Smith for the duration of his contract. Maybe he turns it around, but that is not likely either.

If TGO can get traded so can Smith. It only takes one GM to bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->