2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Doing a Vermette auction on the main board, it appears the best return so far is a golden oldie: Marcus Johansson (and we swap our 2nd with the Caps' 3rd).

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
With his history, Murphy hasnt followed the standard developmental path and the Coyotes accelerated his progress to the NHL (compared to Summers or Gormley). In his case, less may be more.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Doing a Vermette auction on the main board, it appears the best return so far is a golden oldie: Marcus Johansson (and we swap our 2nd with the Caps' 3rd).

Get it done Maloney.

I'm hoping for young talent like this that will fit in straightaway with our young group rather than the draft picks I expect to get.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like Murphy, but I support sitting him for a few so he can regain composure. I think Murphy can turn into a Marc Staal eventually.

They said he is still adjusting to the NHL schedule and needs a break. I think Marc Staal may be a good comparison.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think we’re showcasing Schlemko, given his ice-time (29, 20, 20 mins) and his ability to play the right side, as shown in the last few games. Someone taking him for free works too as it simply frees up some cash and a bit more flexibility for GMDM.

Schlemko was originally waived Nov/14. He’s past the 10-game mark (last night was Game 11) so he’d need to be waived again to clear. Of course, we'll likely first wait until Gormley and Stone (day-to-day) are healthy to make the move, but that shouldn’t be more than a few days away. Winnipeg is looking for a lower-tier D, so maybe they'll claim Schlemko.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008

Whats the next best return? Dropping 40-50 spots at the draft isn't ideal if Johansson is all that is coming back. Whatever shine he use to have for me has long since worn off.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Whats the next best return? Dropping 40-50 spots at the draft isn't ideal if Johansson is all that is coming back. Whatever shine he use to have for me has long since worn off.

One that the proposing fanbase generally agrees with: Etem/Rakell and the 2015 ANH 2nd
One where there's dissension: Vermette and Z (both with 50% retention) for Ryan Hartman, Stephen Johns, and Michal Roszival.

Bunch of lowball offers as well.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One that the proposing fanbase generally agrees with: Etem/Rakell and the 2015 ANH 2nd
One where there's dissension: Vermette and Z (both with 50% retention) for Ryan Hartman, Stephen Johns, and Michal Roszival.

I'd probably give up our early 2nd for Johansson in that spot. It's better than the others by a lot IMO.

But in the interest of maximizing returns aside from the auction format, maybe try and counter with Vermette + 2nd for Johansson + 2nd.

Or if they wont bite on that maybe:
Vermette + 2nd for Johansson + BUF 3rd.

Buffalo's 3rd would be better than Washington's and Washington owns it.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008

Personally that Chicago deal sounds better to me than the Washington one. Guess it just depends on how one views Johansson at this point. Are you thinking he could still be a legit center or were you looking at him as a wing?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd probably give up our early 2nd for Johansson in that spot. It's better than the others by a lot IMO.

But in the interest of maximizing returns aside from the auction format, maybe try and counter with Vermette + 2nd for Johansson + 2nd.

Or if they wont bite on that maybe:
Vermette + 2nd for Johansson + BUF 3rd.

Buffalo's 3rd would be better than Washington's and Washington owns it.

I agree, and am prepping counters :)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Fourth Period chimes in on the Vermette sweepstakes: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/az141217.html

The Coyotes are unlikely to sign him to an extension, according to multiple reports, and TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger believes he will be moved.

"(Vermette) is highly coveted because of the fact he can play center or the wing," Dreger said. "There will be an auction for him."

The Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames, Chicago Blackhawks and New York Rangers are also believed to have shown some interest in Vermette.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I hate how people say we won't get anything more than a 2nd for him because they compare it to the Vanek trade. The fact of the matter is that the Faceoff winning, Selke caliber defending, reasonable offensive producer is far more valuable to a playoff team than a scoring winger.

Plus fans overrate the **** out of draft picks. In the late first, where the pick would be, I bet the chance of getting a useable NHL'r isn't even that great.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Personally that Chicago deal sounds better to me than the Washington one. Guess it just depends on how one views Johansson at this point. Are you thinking he could still be a legit center or were you looking at him as a wing?

Johansson was a natural center who got points for his defensive play when drafted. He's bulked up to being listed at 205 lbs now, and although he's been primarily used as a offensive winger, I think he's still capable defensively. I'd shift him back to center as our 2C, allowing Hanzal to be 3C. Main thing I worry about is MoJo's faceoff numbers, but that can always be improved.

In any case, Johansson would be an excellent return for Vermette: a speedy, versatile forward who's producing at a 0.6 PPG clip and is still only 24 years old.

?? - ?? - Boedker
?? - Johansson - ??
Reider - Hanzal - Gagner
McMillan - Vitale - ??

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Plus fans overrate the **** out of draft picks. In the late first, where the pick would be, I bet the chance of getting a useable NHL'r isn't even that great.

It's actually pretty good. We as Coyotes fans are just beaten down by history on these issues :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hate how people say we won't get anything more than a 2nd for him because they compare it to the Vanek trade. The fact of the matter is that the Faceoff winning, Selke caliber defending, reasonable offensive producer is far more valuable to a playoff team than a scoring winger.

I think the Vanek comparison is hilarious. Vanek's return was limited because of disappointing on-ice performance and the fact everyone outside of Minni knew there was zero chance of re-signing him. Nobody watches us so everyone just looks at base stats to form an opinion on Vermette. The return will spark outcries if he's dealt.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
It's actually pretty good. We as Coyotes fans are just beaten down by history on these issues :laugh:

Fair enough, but everyone likes to think that just because you pick a player with a first rounder, they will be a guaranteed impact player in the NHL. Obviously cost controlled assets are supremely important in the current NHL, but still.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
It is going to hurt losing Vermette, he would have been a great piece for a new legit 1st line but we can't spend all our money on 1 guy. We have no players for a 2015-2016 season 1st line. How are we going to put together a legit 1st line that can compete against the Ducks, Sharks, Kings, Chicago, etc.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
It is going to hurt losing Vermette, he would have been a great piece for a new legit 1st line but we can't spend all our money on 1 guy. We have no players for a 2015-2016 season 1st line. How are we going to put together a legit 1st line that can compete against the Ducks, Sharks, Kings, Chicago, etc.

We're not.

Eventually we will have Domi- Strome/Eichel/McDavid- Perlini/placeholder.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
We're not.

Eventually we will have Domi- Strome/Eichel/McDavid- Perlini/placeholder.

Plus guys like Sammy, Dvorak, Dauphin, Reider, MacInnis, who all seem to have good shots of turning into top-6 players, at least atm.

Plus, Vermette isn't the guy you want if your looking to create a line to go directly against the rest of the Pacific... He is a good player, but by no means is he a Getzlaf, Thorton, Kopitar, or even RNH

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I'm personally happy we're moving vermette when we are. I love the guy, clearly a leader, but he's 32 so he's only got a couple years of great play left, and if the rumors of 6m/y are accurate, then I'd rather get future assets for him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

This is why we want to re-sign him. This could be a multi year tank job.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is why we want to re-sign him. This could be a multi year tank job.

You don't tank by signing good players.

A 2C can be fished out of the trade market without a lot of fuss. A 1C can hopefully be drafted.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You don't tank by signing good players.

A 2C can be fished out of the trade market without a lot of fuss. A 1C can hopefully be drafted.

If we move Vermette for prospects we might be on a multi -year downswing until the kids are ready to assume their top 6 role.

You may be right though given the cap. Hell if we are prepared to pay $6 M for Vermette we might yet bring him back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the Vanek comparison is hilarious. Vanek's return was limited because of disappointing on-ice performance and the fact everyone outside of Minni knew there was zero chance of re-signing him. Nobody watches us so everyone just looks at base stats to form an opinion on Vermette. The return will spark outcries if he's dealt.

I think and hope your right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad