2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Speaking of McCarron...when can we expect him to play with Hamilton? I'm less knowledgeable than most in this thread but liked what I saw from him in preseason last year and thought he had skills that could translate to the NHL, maybe just as a 3rd liner, but there's something there. I understand he had an underwhelming first season in London. Could he join the dogs for their playoff run after the OHL season is over?

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Gregoire should be ranked higher, not because of his skill, but i think he's 150 % an NHLer in the near future. Young Pascal Dupuis ?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
True. But great attitudes can be found on any leagues. I just read that Jamie McBain biggest problem has nothing to do with his skills. But his attitude. He just isn't into working hard. But then you will have a Bournival who will be all business and will work his butt off till he retires. Anyway, I get your point. I hope you get mine. ;)

I'm a Hab fan the same as you are and my aim in posting is sharing the little knowledge acquired while reading and watching our team, if I deem it interesting. That's about the sum of why I post and learn from those sharing here, by no means do I profess to have the answers or intend to find them. Enjoy reading your posts over the years, appreciate the time and efforts that you put into informing us about how our prospects play in camps. If not for people sharing like that, a lot of fans out here on the coast wouldn't hear much of interest in the off season. Thanks Whitesnake!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm a Hab fan the same as you are and my aim in posting is sharing the little knowledge acquired while reading and watching our team, if I deem it interesting. That's about the sum of why I post and learn from those sharing here, by no means do I profess to have the answers or intend to find them. Enjoy reading your posts over the years, appreciate the time and efforts that you put into informing us about how our prospects play in camps. If not for people sharing like that, a lot of fans out here on the coast wouldn't hear much of interest in the off season. Thanks Whitesnake!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Thanks to your great contribution as well as also tons of other fans in here. Majority of the people around are extremely great to hear and extremely useful. And especially when it comes to prospects when just 1 opinion doesn't make it the truth, but mostly the sum of a lot of opinions. Only trying to contribute for my own personal fun and for the pleasure of others.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Speaking of McCarron...when can we expect him to play with Hamilton? I'm less knowledgeable than most in this thread but liked what I saw from him in preseason last year and thought he had skills that could translate to the NHL, maybe just as a 3rd liner, but there's something there. I understand he had an underwhelming first season in London. Could he join the dogs for their playoff run after the OHL season is over?

I think that is indeed the case. Of course, I would not be entirely surprised if the Bulldogs are out before the Knights are, but in theory he would be able to join them once his team is eliminated. After that, he can play for Hamilton for good.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
True. But great attitudes can be found on any leagues. I just read that Jamie McBain biggest problem has nothing to do with his skills. But his attitude. He just isn't into working hard. But then you will have a Bournival who will be all business and will work his butt off till he retires. Anyway, I get your point. I hope you get mine. ;)

Both McBain and Bournival impressed in their draft year, I agree totally about Bournival, the intensity shows on his face when on the bench watching the game being played. He always seems totally focused, whether in regular season games or playoffs, a true student of the game is how I see him. A lot like Plekanec in his effort, and is a solid backchecker playing a 200 ft game, Plekanec has been my favorite Hab for yrs. and Bournival has a good role model in Tomas.

For those interested, here are the Habs' best 25 prospects, in my mind.

1. Jacob De La Rose C/W
2. Nathan Beaulieu D
3. Jarred Tinordi D
4. Nikita Scherbak RW
5. Zachary Fucale G
6. Sven Andrighetto LW/RW
7. Arturri Lehkonen C/W
8. Mike McCarron C/W
9. Tim Bozon LW
10. Mac Bennett D
11. Magnus Nygren D
12. Charles Hudon LW/RW
13. Greg Pateryn D
14. Martin Reway C/W
15. Connor Crisp C/W
16. Jérémy Grégoire C
17. Dalton Thrower D
18. Darren Dietz D
19. Brett Lernout D
20. Morgan Ellis D
21. Christian Thomas RW
22. Daniel Audette C/W
23. Mark MacMillan C/W
24. Hayden Hawkey G
25. Patrick Holland C/W

Unranked because of lack of viewings: Koberstein, Sekac, Condon, Evans, Carr.

Very good rankings and I see you are a Mac Bennett fan too, I can't wait to see him play for Hamilton, hopefully the transition from college to the pro's goes smoothly. The muscle he packed on before last yrs. training camp impressed Timmins as it did me, I was worried he might be too small but those fears were unfounded.:nod:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/une-patience-nécessaire-1.1166055

RDS article on McCarron with some quotes from Hunter, nothing you wouldn't expect a coach to say but good to see nonetheless:

-He has been working out extremely hard since the end of the season. Hunter expects him to be a big part of their offense next year and says his point totals will improve

-After a slow start he was getting better and better after the holidays which is what you want to see in a young player

-He notes that Tinordi also needed time to grow into his body and to improve his coordination. Says that McCarron has a good stride for a big man and the explosiveness in his legs will come with time. Also says that Tinordi struggled in his first year too only to improve a lot the following year.

-Says that, like Tinordi did, McCarron is always working hard to get better. He says that McCarron visits the arena several times a week to work on the ice and in the gym. Says that McCarron wants to get better and is ready to make the sacrifices to do so, and that he's a good kid who always as a smile on his face, has nothing bad to say about his attitude whatsoever.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
-He notes that Tinordi also needed time to grow into his body and to improve his coordination. Says that McCarron has a good stride for a big man and the explosiveness in his legs will come with time. Also says that Tinordi struggled in his first year too only to improve a lot the following year.

-Says that, like Tinordi did, McCarron is always working hard to get better.

Not sure if this is actually encouraging.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Because Tinordi is a bust, right? :shakehead

Yeah, seems like a weird comment unless I misunderstood. Tinordi was taking the same criticisms McCarron's getting after his first year in London - too slow, too awkward, not NHL caliber, etc. Tinordi is in the process of rounding out nicely and about to get a real crack at the NHL, so hopefully McCarron can get to the same level.

Bigger players take more time, that's all there is to it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He's not looking like a player worth a 1st and 2nd round selection, no. He's got some time, but he should be flashing NHL potential, not having the same problems handling the puck as he always had.

I think Tinordi is developing pretty much like the Habs anticipated when they drafted him.

In terms of puckhandling, it's not great but it's not the strength of his game either. For a stay at home d-man he makes a pretty good first pass.

If the Habs shopped him for a 1st rounder this year they would pretty quickly get one.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
I think Tinordi is developing pretty much like the Habs anticipated when they drafted him.

In terms of puckhandling, it's not great but it's not the strength of his game either. For a stay at home d-man he makes a pretty good first pass.

He still looks like a project...in his 5th year removed from his draft. At this point, just staying pat, we could have Etem and Johns in the system. Looks like a pretty stupid move. If Tinordi is anything more than an average complementary player/journeyman bottom 3 guy, I'll be shocked.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
He still looks like a project...in his 5th year removed from his draft. At this point, just staying pat, we could have Etem and Johns in the system. Looks like a pretty stupid move. If Tinordi is anything more than an average complementary player/journeyman bottom 3 guy, I'll be shocked.

That's like, your opinion man.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Tinordi has played 4 years after being drafted, and just turned 22 in February. It's not like he is 26...still young for a d-man.

He didn't look out of place when he was called up last year. I think next year he'll be in the NHL most if not all the season.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Tinordi has played 4 years after being drafted, and just turned 22 in February. It's not like he is 26...still young for a d-man.

He didn't look out of place when he was called up last year. I think next year he'll be in the NHL most if not all the season.

Exactly right. These huge guys invariably take longer to peak. Giving up on a 22 year old is asinine.

For those of you who haven't voted yet, Roy Munson needs your help for the Waffle Cup, for best GDT. Only a little time left. Vote here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1701657

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
That's like, your opinion man.

Giving an opinion on a message...You don't say! I imagine you're angry when you go to the doctor and he does a checkup...

This is his 5th year. He will, in all likelihood, platoon with Beaulieu and Weaver for the bottom 2 spots. I fail to see why a player who looks like a project because you have to really imagine hard to see more than a serviceable player out of him is supposed to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I'll be more than happy to see him have a positive impact, but I still think the management overestimated his abilities to not only take a first, but also give up a 2nd for him. The other defensemen taken immediately after him look reasonably similar or have flat out been better and their hockey skills look far more developed.

Exactly right. These huge guys invariably take longer to peak. Giving up on a 22 year old is asinine.

Of course they take longer and where did I say ditch him at all costs? The guy just isn't what he was advertised as being. It's like seeing Mike Komisarek's career path all over again. Except Komisarek had actually shown more at this point.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Giving an opinion on a message...You don't say! I imagine you're angry when you go to the doctor and he does a checkup...

This is his 5th year. He will, in all likelihood, platoon with Beaulieu and Weaver for the bottom 2 spots. I fail to see why a player who looks like a project because you have to really imagine hard to see more than a serviceable player out of him is supposed to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I'll be more than happy to see him have a positive impact, but I still think the management overestimated his abilities to not only take a first, but also give up a 2nd for him. The other defensemen taken immediately after him look reasonably similar or have flat out been better and their hockey skills look far more developed.

Of course they take longer and where did I say ditch him at all costs? The guy just isn't what he was advertised as being. It's like seeing Mike Komisarek's career path all over again. Except Komisarek had actually shown more at this point.

You're right inasmuch as Tinordi hasn't yet hit his potential. No one is suggesting it's guaranteed. Just that it's to early to know. Patience is a good thing here.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Very good rankings and I see you are a Mac Bennett fan too, I can't wait to see him play for Hamilton, hopefully the transition from college to the pro's goes smoothly. The muscle he packed on before last yrs. training camp impressed Timmins as it did me, I was worried he might be too small but those fears were unfounded.:nod:

Thanks S Bah, yeah I like Bennett, most notably his mobility. That's key in my evaluation.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not worried about Tinordi. He's already pretty good at the things that'll make him successful in the NHL, all that needs to happen is for him to put it together, which can happen very quickly. I think he'll be a complimentary player, because he doesn't have the offense: but you need to compliment your players, especially when they're Subban.

People were comfortable with Gorges, when Tinordi can bring twice as much. If he becomes a 23+ minute second fiddle who can lay out hits, skate with the puck, and make a good first pass, that just makes Subban's job that much easier.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I believe in Tinordi. He has better offensive instincts and tools than Gorges.

I'm not sayong he'll be as good, but the year he turned 22 Chara had 2 goals and 6 assists in 59 games, Tinordi has 4 assists in 30 games so far in the NHL. Taller guys take more time.

Last edited:

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Tinordi has improved every year since his draft....hopefully he will keep improving and then who knows where he winds up. I'm a fan of his and think he will be a top 4 D-man in the near future...but Em could be right if he stops developing...let's hope this is not the case.

One thing is FOR SURE....the book has not yet been written on him.

The key for all the young guys is to keep improving. Trevor Timmins says it all the time. Each player has their own timeline....

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007

Tinordi didn't take the step forward the org hoped this year but it's too early by far to write him off as another Ryan O'Byrne. I don't think Tinordi is first paring material or anything, but he's a with a collection of assets that have real value in the NHL even at 15-18 minutes a game. Lots of players plateau or regress or struggle. Desharnais has done it at every level, then progressed beyond all expectations. At times Beaulieu has looked like he was on a pretty iffy track, right now he looks like a bona fide NHLer. I think you're only being honest, and correct, to point out that at this moment we shouldn't say the same about Tinordi. But he's a 22 year old beanpole giant. I think this coming season will tell us a lot more about his future than the last one. Not to make any kind of comparison but how much of his true potential had Chara shown at that age?

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
At this point, Tinordi is expendable as a trade chip. Will he be an NHLer in the next two years? Yes. Will he ever be a top-four shutdown d-man? That remains to be seen. I would like to see him make more simple choices with the puck, as well as be more aware of his surroundings on the ice. That all comes with experience and maturity. His upside is gigantic. You have to give to get. If the Habs feel Beaulieu is the more likely player to reach his upside, they may move Tinner to acquire a high-end talent. Supply and demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad