Prospect Info: 2014-2015-2016 Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The NHL is a business, but the player's aren't allowed to treat it as one? If LaDue turns pro this year, he will have to sign a 2-way ELC. He will get the max contract, so 925k in the NHL, 70k (or whatever) in the AHL. He will probably get in a handful of games, so he will probably make around 100k his first year pro (not including signing bonus, performance bonuses, etc.) If he stays at UND one more year, he will be 25, and will no longer be required to sign a 2-way contract. He will make his NHL salary no matter if he plays in the NHL or the AHL, that is a massive incentive just by waiting one more year in a place you really enjoy playing.

Will it be good for his development? Probably not as much as turning pro would be. Is it a good business decision from his standpoint? I don't know how someone could argue that it's not.

You keep assuming he will get a one way contract no matter what. He has done very little to prove he's worth a guaranteed one way contract. And if he makes a decision you admit isn't as good for his development, why would a GM commit to that?

Just because he CAN get a one way doesn't mean he will. Heck, Lombardi could have tried to negotiate a two way contract with Kopitar. Difference is, Kopitar has proven himself to be worth the one way contract.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
You keep assuming he will get a one way contract no matter what. He has done very little to prove he's worth a guaranteed one way contract. And if he makes a decision you admit isn't as good for his development, why would a GM commit to that?

Just because he CAN get a one way doesn't mean he will. Heck, Lombardi could have tried to negotiate a two way contract with Kopitar. Difference is, Kopitar has proven himself to be worth the one way contract.

Exactly. Moreover, if he gets hurt seriously enough he will wind up with nothing.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Frustrating. He's already going to be 20 this year. In 2 years he would enter the AHL as a 22-year-old rookie. Not good.

Last edited:

as15

Sep 21, 2012

His play needs to convince only 1/30 of the GM's that he is worth a one-way contract. I can think of only two NCAA player's in the last ten years (FA, NHL prospects, 25 years old) or so that have had this option (Matt Gilroy and Matt Read) and they both got offered one-way contracts. LaDue projects much better than both Gilroy and Read as an NHL prospect. He has been a top-ten defenseman in the NCAA for two years in a row.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Frustrating. He's already going to be 20 this year. In 2 years he would enter the AHL as a 22-year-old rookie. Not good.

How maddening. Kitsyn, Prokhorkin, Voynov (legal problems) and now this? Kings need to do a better job doing their homework. They can't afford to keep losing talent without compensation.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Alexandr Dergachyov has signed a 2 year contract extension with SKA.

Hopefully he gains more playing time over there. Our Russian luck has not been good thus far.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How maddening. Kitsyn, Prokhorkin, Voynov (legal problems) and now this? Kings need to do a better job doing their homework. They can't afford to keep losing talent without compensation.

Dergachev was not going to be ready in that time span anyways. Kings hold his rights indefinately. No worries on him yet.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ready or not playing 4th line and less minutes in a league that doesn't give a **** about his development isn't good.

Well see. The KHL over the past 10 years has proven to be a much better developer of talent for Russians than the CHL where the Kings likely would have assigned him. Id wait before passing judgement.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Once someone passes on an opportunity to come over he'll probably end up staying. Not that everyone is the same but.. yeah. We've seen this story before.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well see. The KHL over the past 10 years has proven to be a much better developer of talent for Russians than the CHL where the Kings likely would have assigned him. Id wait before passing judgement.

Kuznetsov had been playing 15-20+ minutes in the KHL.
Tarasenko 12-19 outside of 9 his rookie year.
Kucherov only got 8-9 then bolted.
Marchenko 13-19
Slepyshev 12-16
Porkins was at 19 a game.

Dergachyov has 6:43 a game.

I think it's a legit concern. Especially given he's not on a crappy team where he's gonna get a bigger role.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Turns 20 in Sept. I guess that's either overage CHL or more likely AHL at this point.

Forgot he was a late birthday and i was refering to last year as well. But you are right he would be ahl next year if hed come over.

Kuznetsov had been playing 15-20+ minutes in the KHL.
Tarasenko 12-19 outside of 9 his rookie year.
Kucherov only got 8-9 then bolted.
Marchenko 13-19
Slepyshev 12-16
Porkins was at 19 a game.

Dergachyov has 6:43 a game.

I think it's a legit concern. Especially given he's not on a crappy team where he's gonna get a bigger role.

Its a concern but not overly yet. Well see moving forward. Hes still young and khl teams do loan guys to weaker teams to get them minutes sometimes (edm prospect paigin got loaned to sochi and exploded for example).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Its a concern but not overly yet. Well see moving forward. Hes still young and khl teams do loan guys to weaker teams to get them minutes sometimes (edm prospect paigin got loaned to sochi and exploded for example).

There was another article about the Russian national team wanting to develop their players at home and it specifically mentioned Dergachyov so there's that too. I just don't believe it until I see it, and I'm getting pretty sick of Russians in this organization having issues. Dergachyov isn't one yet, but hard not to worry at this point.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Guarantee Prokhorkin the 3rd line Center spot. Russians can play

Porkins' agent told that they are working on a 2 year extension with Salavat team in KHL, so it looks like he isn't in hurry to cross the pond too. I can understand him though - he finally got his game going and is a NT candidate (just got called up to Russia NT B-team, btw), no reason for him to run away at the moment. I mean, it's not like he has won everything there or earned too much money.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
There was another article about the Russian national team wanting to develop their players at home and it specifically mentioned Dergachyov so there's that too. I just don't believe it until I see it, and I'm getting pretty sick of Russians in this organization having issues. Dergachyov isn't one yet, but hard not to worry at this point.

Maybe they don't take the right Russians ? Lol

I was at Staples when we chose Forbort, I remember people yelling for Tarasenko to be called. He didn't hold out long before coming over and tearing up the NHL. That guy Kucherov that fell to the 2nd round in 2011 when we drafted Chris Gibson the next elite thing when we have Quick. Well Kucherov is more talented than 80 percent of our roster. Panarin, Kuznetsov and much more. Draft skilled Russians not grinders again like Dergachev. I think many forget Prokhorkin wanted to come over, we don't know what's really going on but if he was guaranteed a chance last time he asked for it maybe it wouldn't have been a bad idea eh ? Look around the league.

Voynov worked out for us he just fell into criminal trouble. I really hate that though because I think this is what has ****ed us the most. Voynov was and is a number 1 on most teams. He wasn't to far behind Doughty. We were spoiled. What a gem he was.

I'd actually like to see the team draft more Europeans and Russians to bring some skill into the prospect pool.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Porkins' agent told that they are working on a 2 year extension with Salavat team in KHL, so it looks like he isn't in hurry to cross the pond too. I can understand him though - he finally got his game going and is a NT candidate (just got called up to Russia NT B-team, btw), no reason for him to run away at the moment. I mean, it's not like he has won everything there or earned too much money.

THats very unfortunate because I really want this kid on my team. I hope he changes his mind about coming over in the next 2 years.

Is it possible for anyone to ask Rosen to ask Dean if Voynov coming back or applying for a work visa is possible.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
THats very unfortunate because I really want this kid on my team. I hope he changes his mind about coming over in the next 2 years.

Is it possible for anyone to ask Rosen to ask Dean if Voynov coming back or applying for a work visa is possible.

I think it's safe to say he's never going rejoining this organization ever again. If he somehow ever was able to find his way back to the NHL I'm sure the kings would trade his rights to someone else and get something for him. That bridge has been burned.

AS for Prokhorkin, it's been 4 years since he was drafted. This new 2 year extension likely he's not coming over.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011

Oh he will get one for sure barring injury. The kid is legit.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Cernak and Marchment knocked out of the OHL playoffs tonight. The Kings don't have any OHL prospects left playing at this point, we'll except for Amadio who will play tomorrow night for the Reign. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad