Prospect Info: 2014-2015-2016 Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Prokhorkin is tied for 9th in the KHL in goals, not bad for a 20 year old. 18 goals, 17 assists, 35 points, in 48 games. Can't really ask for much more

Zykov isn't in the KHL, he's back in juniors at Baie-Comeau Drakkar. His goal scoring is down a bit, but he's otherwise having a good season. 18 goals 31 assists, 49 points in 40 games.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
WHL
Bartosak with 31 saves in a 5-3 win for Red Deer. Red Deer battling for "deer" life for the 8th and final playoff spot. They are tied for the final spot, but have a game in hand. They also are two points behind the seventh spot.

Alex Roach had an assist in Calgary's 5-4 win. They've already clinched a playoff spot. He has 36 points (9g, 27a) in 46 games.

March 16th is the last day of the regular season.

QMJHL
Zykov was held off the scoresheet and was a -1 in Baie-Comeau's 8-4 loss. However, Zykov is second in team scoring with 56 points (20g, 36a) in only 44 games. His scoring pace is slightly better than last season's. He also leads the team in +/-. The Drakkar are the top ranked team in the Q, and have clinched a playoff spot.

March 15 is the last day of the regular season

OHL
Zac Leslie was held off the scoresheet but a +1. Ebert had a goal and was a +1. Auger extends his point scoring streak to four games with two assists, as the Guelph Storm beat Windsor 6-4. From what I've seen so far, Guelph just made the Spitfires look silly; Auger was playing on the shutdown line, while Ebert and Leslie were paired up and created a lot of scoring chances. Such a treat to watch (I have the game saved and plan to watch the rest of it after posting this).

Leslie has 45 points (13g, 32a) in 49 games. Ebert has 41 points (10g, 31a) in 56 games. He's also 4th in the league in +/- with a +43. Justin Auger has 19 points (9g, 10a) in 42 games. Seven of his points have come in the past four games, so he might finally be recovering from his mono.

Guelph is leading the entire OHL with 93 points and have clinched a playoff spot.

Kubalik was held off the scoresheet and a -2 in Kitchener's 3-1 loss to Owen Sound. Kubalik's cold drought continues, as he only has 2 goals in 13 games since being traded to the Rangers. He has 25 points (15g, 10a) in 49 games total. The Kitchener Rangers are five points out of a playoff spot.

Kurtis Macdermid only has one goal in 17 games since being traded to the Erie Otters, but he is also playoff bound as the Erie Otters are the second best team in the OHL with 88 points.

March 16 is the last day of the regular season.

NCAA
Michael Mersch had two goals and an assist in Wisconsin's 5-2 win over Michigan State. He's tied for the team lead in points with 29. His 18 goals leads the team. Wisconsin is 2nd in the Big Ten division.

Hudson Fasching does not play this weekend, but he is third in team scoring with 25 points (11g, 14a) in 29 games. Not bad for a Freshman. Minnesota leads the Big Ten division.

Joel Lowry had an assist in Cornell's 2-1 win. He's one of three players on the team with six goals and 14 assists, good for second on the team. They are fourth in the ECAC.

Paul Ladue had an assist in North Dakota's 3-0 win over Minnesota-Duluth. He's third among defensemen on the team in scoring, putting up a respectable 12 points (3g, 9a) in 28 games. North Dakota has the 2nd highest win% in the NCHC.

Jonny Brodzinski had a goal and an assist, Kevin Gravel had an assist, and Nic Dowd had a goal in St. Cloud's 4-3 loss to Miami. Dowd and Brodzinski share the team lead in scoring with 31 points (Dowd has 17g, 14a, while Brodzinski has 16g, 15a). Gravel also has 16 points (4g, 12a) in 29 games. He already passed his collegiate high in points, which was previously 12.

Last day for regular season games are March 15.

KHL
Prokhorkin continues to hold a tenuous scoring lead over Alexander Radulov, with 35 points (18g, 17a) to Radulov's 34, although Radulov has played in 15 fewer games. He also leads the team in goals. CSKA has clinched a playoff spot, and is currently 7th in the Western Conference.
Last day of the regular season is March 4.

igotnothing

Oct 12, 2007
Jonny Brodzinski had a goal and an assist, Kevin Gravel had an assist, and Nic Dowd had a goal in St. Cloud's 4-3 loss to Miami. Dowd and Brodzinski share the team lead in scoring with 31 points (Dowd has 17g, 14a, while Brodzinski has 16g, 15a). Gravel also has 16 points (4g, 12a) in 29 games. He already passed his collegiate high in points, which was previously 12.

I was at this game last night, it's difficult to keep track of 3 players at once and cheer for the other team, but here's what I saw:

Dowd and Gravel both wear a 'C.' Dowd and Brodzinski are both listed as 6'0" but I think Dowd is at least an inch or two taller, and Gravel is huge, biggest player on either team.

Dowd and Brodzinski are both good skaters and have decent shots. Dowd was a bit more noticeable and was is probably more of a playmaker. I think they still need time to develop and are long shots for the NHL. I think I'm higher on them than Michael Mersch though.

Gravel really impressed me. He plays a shutdown D role, and he plays it really well. Despite his size, he skates well. His first pass is good. When he gets the puck on the point, he isn't afraid to just throw it on net, and he keeps the shot low, looking for rebounds. What really impressed me was his demeanor. He was always calm last night, never got rattled or flustered. He did make one mistake which cost St Cloud a goal, but was otherwise solid. I think his upside is a Rob Scuderi clone.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Barto almost got in a fight last night. Kings love edgy goalies.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
OHL
Zac Leslie was held off the scoresheet but a +1. Ebert had a goal and was a +1. Auger extends his point scoring streak to four games with two assists, as the Guelph Storm beat Windsor 6-4. From what I've seen so far, Guelph just made the Spitfires look silly; Auger was playing on the shutdown line, while Ebert and Leslie were paired up and created a lot of scoring chances. Such a treat to watch (I have the game saved and plan to watch the rest of it after posting this).

Leslie has 45 points (13g, 32a) in 49 games. Ebert has 41 points (10g, 31a) in 56 games. He's also 4th in the league in +/- with a +43.

Thanks for the detailed info, King's Pawn. Wasn't the Windsor Spitfires Ebert's old team? Great to see these Kings prospects (Leslie and Ebert) already having chemistry. I liked what I saw from Zac Leslie during preseason and wouldn't be surprised to see him make the big club someday. It looks like Ebert has bounced back.

Any chance this game can be found on YouTube?

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks for the detailed info, King's Pawn. Wasn't the Windsor Spitfires Ebert's old team? Great to see these Kings prospects (Leslie and Ebert) already having chemistry. I liked what I saw from Zac Leslie during preseason and wouldn't be surprised to see him make the big club someday. It looks like Ebert has bounced back.

Any chance this game can be found on YouTube?

Hi PJ! Yes, Ebert was on Windsor before, but he was traded along with Kerby Rychel before the OHL trade deadline this season.

They definitely do work very well together and make the opposition look silly on the attack.

Unfortunately, you very likely won't find the game on youtube.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Gravel really impressed me. He plays a shutdown D role, and he plays it really well. Despite his size, he skates well. His first pass is good. When he gets the puck on the point, he isn't afraid to just throw it on net, and he keeps the shot low, looking for rebounds. What really impressed me was his demeanor. He was always calm last night, never got rattled or flustered. He did make one mistake which cost St Cloud a goal, but was otherwise solid. I think his upside is a Rob Scuderi clone.
All I hear is good things about Gravel. Sounds like a low-risk, high-reward player. We need a skilled stay-at-home D for the future, but they take so long to develop.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I was at this game last night, it's difficult to keep track of 3 players at once and cheer for the other team, but here's what I saw:

Dowd and Gravel both wear a 'C.' Dowd and Brodzinski are both listed as 6'0" but I think Dowd is at least an inch or two taller, and Gravel is huge, biggest player on either team.

Dowd and Brodzinski are both good skaters and have decent shots. Dowd was a bit more noticeable and was is probably more of a playmaker. I think they still need time to develop and are long shots for the NHL. I think I'm higher on them than Michael Mersch though.

Where is Dowd listed at 6'0"? He's 6'2" at least. If something had him at 6'0" that was a typo.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
All I hear is good things about Gravel. Sounds like a low-risk, high-reward player. We need a skilled stay-at-home D for the future, but they take so long to develop.

Gravel is an absolute gem. There's so many talented prospects in the wings for LA. It's just unbelievable. Scouting staff is truly top notch. Hard to praise them enough.

igotnothing

Oct 12, 2007
Where is Dowd listed at 6'0"? He's 6'2" at least. If something had him at 6'0" that was a typo.

At the HF website:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nic_dowd/

Definitely a typo.

I really liked watching him play, and I think he's fairly developed already. He could be ready for the NHL fairly soon.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
i was talking with one of the guys i coach with after practice this morning. he was at the U of W game last night and he talked to Mersch afterwards.

he told him that Dean is ready to sign him now. not even finish school and move him to ? that is where they aren't sure yet, will it be Ontario or Manchester. both Dean and Darryl were there to take in the game.

his skating is the question mark. he knows, the Kings know this and my fellow coach says the same. i added in he needs to pick up his intensity at times also. i've watched i think 4 Badgers games this season and he sometimes goes into a cruise control mode.

looks like Dean is ready to sign Mersch asap and get him into the system.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
i was talking with one of the guys i coach with after practice this morning. he was at the U of W game last night and he talked to Mersch afterwards.

he told him that Dean is ready to sign him now. not even finish school and move him to ? that is where they aren't sure yet, will it be Ontario or Manchester. both Dean and Darryl were there to take in the game.

his skating is the question mark. he knows, the Kings know this and my fellow coach says the same. i added in he needs to pick up his intensity at times also. i've watched i think 4 Badgers games this season and he sometimes goes into a cruise control mode.

looks like Dean is ready to sign Mersch asap and get him into the system.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for adding actual information to the forum!

Seems like it would be one heck of choice to leave right this very minute. College seasons not over! People have done it though and Manchester is likely to need the reinforcements. I'm surprised to hear Darryl was there. Thought it stayed in LA. Not sure he is in the whole prospect development part of the organization. Thought it was just the coach of the team.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Interesting stuff. Thanks for adding actual information to the forum!

Seems like it would be one heck of choice to leave right this very minute. College seasons not over! People have done it though and Manchester is likely to need the reinforcements. I'm surprised to hear Darryl was there. Thought it stayed in LA. Not sure he is in the whole prospect development part of the organization. Thought it was just the coach of the team.

i was surprised when he said Darryl was there also. i asked him again to make sure he wasn't thinking of someone else. the guy is late 40s like i am and grew up in Chicago and a Hawks fan, he knows who Sutter is.

he was also surprised when Mersch told him they are looking for him to go early. again i asked if he meant to wait a few weeks for the season to finish, or for the school year to complete. he said they are ready to sign him now and assign him. where that will be even Mike M doesn't know.

my guess is it would be MAN, to stockpile players for the playoffs. perhaps it is because Dean has something cooking in a trade and they need to get him under contract sooner.

perhaps CNS can elaborate on the MAN situation further and how Mersch may fit into the roster at this time.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
i was surprised when he said Darryl was there also. i asked him again to make sure he wasn't thinking of someone else. the guy is late 40s like i am and grew up in Chicago and a Hawks fan, he knows who Sutter is.

he was also surprised when Mersch told him they are looking for him to go early. again i asked if he meant to wait a few weeks for the season to finish, or for the school year to complete. he said they are ready to sign him now and assign him. where that will be even Mike M doesn't know.

my guess is it would be MAN, to stockpile players for the playoffs. perhaps it is because Dean has something cooking in a trade and they need to get him under contract sooner.

perhaps CNS can elaborate on the MAN situation further and how Mersch may fit into the roster at this time.

No chance he signs mid season. End of season, yes. He'll go to Manch. They can use him since Pearson is gone.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
KP, or anyone else really, got any more on Paul LaDue? Seems to be a bit of a forgotten man.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
KP, or anyone else really, got any more on Paul LaDue? Seems to be a bit of a forgotten man.

I have the hardest time being able to catch NCAA games, so he's not forgotten so much as unobserved.

With what I HAVE seen, his style of play reminds me of Lubo. Moves the puck well, best offensive asset is his shot from the point, but plays a simple game. Has an active stick, which he uses a lot more than physical play.

He also seems to use a smaller than average stick. It takes up less of a passing lane, but allows for puck control in tighter situations.

Most of this is based off memory during development camps though. Him and Lowry are the only two players I haven't seen at least one full game from this season.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago

i watched the UND v. UMD game last Friday. he was easily the most active and best Dman for the Sioux. i wasn't glued to the TV to really zero in on him, so i can't get into detail of what i saw. when he was out there he was very noticeable though the entire 200ft, in a positive way.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good to hear, thanks!

Just a name that I haven't heard much of since draft day, heh. Good depth for Manchester/long-shot bottom pair NHL d-man, maybe?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't like the idea of signing college players mid-season, I think it would show very little character for MM to leave UW before the season ended, it would be flat out quitting on his teammates and coaches.

He will report to Manchester after the season and will be a regular for the Kings within in the next two seasons.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Apparently this guy isn't a big fan of Zykov but he mostly looks at things fantasy production wise. Dunno how much he has really paid attention to VZ.

"Valentin Zykov - Not high on him. At all. Besides not really improving this season in junior and disappearing at the WJC, he was drafted by the Kings! See you in five years Valentin. Maybe. More info on him here."

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/inde...u-89/archived-ramblings/6413-february-26-2014

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Apparently this guy isn't a big fan of Zykov but he mostly looks at things fantasy production wise. Dunno how much he has really paid attention to VZ.

"Valentin Zykov - Not high on him. At all. Besides not really improving this season in junior and disappearing at the WJC, he was drafted by the Kings! See you in five years Valentin. Maybe. More info on him here."

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/inde...u-89/archived-ramblings/6413-february-26-2014

Ah, no. The coach gave him next to no playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad