Prospect Info: 2014-2015-2016 Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Status
Not open for further replies.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
Your beat writer should do some research. LaDue will still be bound by an ELC. All players signing their first pro contract are bound to it. Panarin signed an ELC and he was a 24-year old playing professional hockey in Russia. http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2015/4/30/8520667/artemi-panarin-blackhawks-signing-contract-2015

Hmmm he's pretty reliable so I am going to trust him on this one. "For starters, if a player stays four years, he becomes a free agent if not signed by Aug. 15 after their senior year. More important in LaDue’s case: If a player is 25 years old as of Sept. 15 of the year they sign their contract, they are not considered an entry-level player. LaDue would be 24 when he graduates, but his birthday is Sept. 6, so according to the NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, he would be considered 25 years old." http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100483

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Good Grief. I hope he signs here. He could be the 2nd pairing RD
by 2017-18. What's one year in Ontario? It's best for him and the Kings. Draftees must earn their way to the NHL. If they are that good, they should only need a year in the AHL. Voynov took 3 yrs. I am sure he was good enough after 1 or 2 yrs, but he had to adjust to
North America, etc, and there were no spots for him. The Kings have a lot of decent defensemen prospects, but LaDue may have the most upside offensively.

If he does not sign, Cernak moves up the RD charts. I hope Cernak is
on The Reign next season. Gravel should be on the Kings next year for sure.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Only beef I have with that sort of loophole is when players lead a team on, like Vesey.

I'm one of the few that maybe agrees with its existence to an extent though. I don't believe teams should hold draftees rights indefinitely.

I don't recall what LaDue's side of the story was, only that we were pursuing him heavily. If he suggested he was going our way then changed his mind for the one-way deal, **** him. But I don't think he did that, at least not that I recall.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Only beef I have with that sort of loophole is when players lead a team on, like Vesey.

I'm one of the few that maybe agrees with its existence to an extent though. I don't believe teams should hold draftees rights indefinitely.

I don't recall what LaDue's side of the story was, only that we were pursuing him heavily. If he suggested he was going our way then changed his mind for the one-way deal, **** him. But I don't think he did that, at least not that I recall.

If LaDue stays another year at UND he will never make it with the kings and should be traded. The guy is just 6 months younger than Forbort and Gravel and has yet to play a single game as a pro. If he has any NHL ambitions at all he needs to get his butt over to Ontario ASAP.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If LaDue stays another year at UND he will never make it with the kings and should be traded. The guy is just 6 months younger than Forbort and Gravel and has yet to play a single game as a pro. If he has any NHL ambitions at all he needs to get his butt over to Ontario ASAP.

I think it's a moot point because I doubt he stays another year with the intention of signing with the Kings.

He may simply be getting advice from his agent that the better pro deal is the one-way deal, and that way he gets to finish college in person.

I agree on him stagnating and it not necessarily being great for his development and all that jazz, but I don't think that matters to us anyway if he stays, as he'll likely be out for the best situation and deal combination like any other fresh out of college UFA.

If he were serious about the Kings, he'd be signing now and finishing his degree in other ways like other college draftees. If he thinks he's going straight to the NHL...well, no thanks to another Jack Johnson.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He can pursue the UFA route if he wants. He won't get a better offer than the equivalent of an ELC, even if he's eligible to get a better offer.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I love this kid and hope we could get a crack at him, but you can also see a good bit of Amadio here.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Have not heard anything about Matt Mistele since they were eliminated in the OHL playoffs. Wonder what the plan is..........

If i had to hazard a guess its that kings will let him re-enter draft. If he goes undrafted and fails to land an nhl deal they may give a one year contract with Ontario to see how he adjusts to pro then go from there. But thats just a guess. I dont think he's progressed all that much from his draft year. But he plays a decently smart game that may translate to pro game well.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
If i had to hazard a guess its that kings will let him re-enter draft. If he goes undrafted and fails to land an nhl deal they may give a one year contract with Ontario to see how he adjusts to pro then go from there. But thats just a guess. I dont think he's progressed all that much from his draft year. But he plays a decently smart game that may translate to pro game well.

His numbers look good for 6th round draft pick especially his playoff numbers. Would you care to elaborate on why he hasnt progressed much ?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
His numbers look good for 6th round draft pick especially his playoff numbers. Would you care to elaborate on why he hasnt progressed much ?

Under a ppg as an overager is a huge red flag, that's really poor for any player with the hope of an NHL career. His pts per game at 20 (when he should be dominant) is pretty much same as 17. Playoff numbers is very small sample size. He lacks the ability to take over games and remained a passenger for his whole junior career, IMO. Guys that are not driving their own offense in junior tend not to have NHL careers. Good finisher but not great. Plays a relatively smart game offensively, but doesn't have an overabundance of skill. Just hasn't come as far as I think he should have for a contract.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
And then there's one team to root for:

Erie is the only team remaining, and they lost game 1 7-4.

Victoria blew a 2-0 lead in game 7, and allowed the game tying goal with 1 second to go in the 3rd, before losing in OT.

Regina also lost 2-1 in game 7.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
Some belief that LaDue will come to a decision shortly. Someone on siouxsports.com is making it sound like he will sign. We shall see.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some belief that LaDue will come to a decision shortly. Someone on siouxsports.com is making it sound like he will sign. We shall see.

Good to hear, considering he has the luxury of time, no?

Like, no need to 'hurry up' and decide.

Thanks for the updates regardless!

as15

Sep 21, 2012
He can pursue the UFA route if he wants. He won't get a better offer than the equivalent of an ELC, even if he's eligible to get a better offer.

The major difference is that if he waits until next year to sign, he will be 25 and eligible to sign a 1-way contract. He might still only get a 925k salary (ELC maximum), but it will be 1-way, so he will get paid the same regardless of being in the AHL or NHL. That in itself is a huge incentive.

as15

Sep 21, 2012

Having watched LaDue, Forbort, and Gravel extensively over the years, I can tell you that the second LaDue stepped on the ice his freshman year at UND, he was better than Forbort ever was during his time there.

I would be very surprised if LaDue didn't surpass both Forbort and Gravel on the depth chart very early into his first pro season, either this year or next.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
High praise.

I'm excited to see how his game translates to the pros. A lot of us around here were concerned when Gravel 'stagnated' his last year and it looks like LaDue sort of did the same, though he answered the bell almost immediately when turning pro, suggesting a maturity in his game. Hope LaDue can follow that same path and then some

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The major difference is that if he waits until next year to sign, he will be 25 and eligible to sign a 1-way contract. He might still only get a 925k salary (ELC maximum), but it will be 1-way, so he will get paid the same regardless of being in the AHL or NHL. That in itself is a huge incentive.

The one way isn't guaranteed, which is my point. Teams aren't obligated to offer one way contracts.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Having watched LaDue, Forbort, and Gravel extensively over the years, I can tell you that the second LaDue stepped on the ice his freshman year at UND, he was better than Forbort ever was during his time there.

I would be very surprised if LaDue didn't surpass both Forbort and Gravel on the depth chart very early into his first pro season, either this year or next.

That's nice analysis but has nothing to do with my point. Wasting a year of development in the hopes of getting a 1 way contract is just dumb. He's not 18.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
That's nice analysis but has nothing to do with my point. Wasting a year of development in the hopes of getting a 1 way contract is just dumb. He's not 18.

The NHL is a business, but the player's aren't allowed to treat it as one? If LaDue turns pro this year, he will have to sign a 2-way ELC. He will get the max contract, so 925k in the NHL, 70k (or whatever) in the AHL. He will probably get in a handful of games, so he will probably make around 100k his first year pro (not including signing bonus, performance bonuses, etc.) If he stays at UND one more year, he will be 25, and will no longer be required to sign a 2-way contract. He will make his NHL salary no matter if he plays in the NHL or the AHL, that is a massive incentive just by waiting one more year in a place you really enjoy playing.

Will it be good for his development? Probably not as much as turning pro would be. Is it a good business decision from his standpoint? I don't know how someone could argue that it's not.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

Well, as we sadly saw the past week, we need a Voynov replacement on the ice desperately. Do you think LaDue has that ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad