2014 19th Overall - Anthony DeAngelo

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
DeAngelo's biggest problem is his attitude. That being said, for the 1st half of last season with the Sting, his attitude was fine. The changing point was being cut from team USA for the World Jr's. After that, he went back to the way he was for his 1st two season in Sarnia.

If he can control his attitude, he is an elite player in the OHL.

That being said, I don't know how his game will progress in the NHL. He will be able to QB any PP. But defensively, he is a liability. He is going to have to learn how to defend one on one against bigger and stronger players. If he can learn how to defend, he will make it to the NHL. I would compare him to Torey Krug.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
DeAngelo's biggest problem is his attitude. That being said, for the 1st half of last season with the Sting, his attitude was fine. The changing point was being cut from team USA for the World Jr's. After that, he went back to the way he was for his 1st two season in Sarnia.

If he can control his attitude, he is an elite player in the OHL.

That being said, I don't know how his game will progress in the NHL. He will be able to QB any PP. But defensively, he is a liability. He is going to have to learn how to defend one on one against bigger and stronger players. If he can learn how to defend, he will make it to the NHL. I would compare him to Torey Krug.

Thanks for the info.

What changes are you expecting to see from him this year? I know we all want him to mature emotionally, but play-wise, what are you hoping to see?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thanks for the info.

What changes are you expecting to see from him this year? I know we all want him to mature emotionally, but play-wise, what are you hoping to see?

Same questions + What do the Sting look like this year and is it a place where you think DeAngelo can effectively work on rounding out his game?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Flyers fan here and I come in peace. 1st let me say that I hope Anthony works out for you guys as he is a neighbor of mine. That being said I believe Stevie Y. really wanted Travis Sanheim. Rumor on the street here is that he called Ron Hextall up after the selection and offered him two picks which Ron turned down. Anyway it will be interesting to follow these two young men's careers.
Good Luck and Take Care.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
0EFA2C9B-F765-4F31-B22F-ACF0404D4BD3-4617-000009A422056359.jpg

someone photoshop this to say "legitimate defenseman's social club" and you will recieve one (1) kiss on the forehead (if it's good)

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Flyers fan here and I come in peace. 1st let me say that I hope Anthony works out for you guys as he is a neighbor of mine. That being said I believe Stevie Y. really wanted Travis Sanheim. Rumor on the street here is that he called Ron Hextall up after the selection and offered him two picks which Ron turned down. Anyway it will be interesting to follow these two young men's careers.
Good Luck and Take Care.

While that might be true according to Gord Miller "the Lightning" told Miller before the draft that "DeAngelo won't get by us."

tidus37

Chicken Parm Mafia
Apr 24, 2014
Tampa Bay/Raleigh
Good Luck and Take Care.

Hi! I honestly think it's for the best that Tony fell into our lap. I've seen videos of him from development camp and honestly I can't wait to see how he develops and grows, matures.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The last link said a goal and 2 assists and now a goal and 3 assists. Wouldn't that be 7 points? Either way who effing cares, its a 3 ppg average. I don't like the fact we drafted a punk but damn it the kid can play. He's gonna be Boyle 2.0 if he reaches his full potential. Heddy is gonna be #1 for all time, Koekoek is expected to be a #3/#4, Sustr maybe a #3/#4 and Gudas is a rough and tumble a #5/#6. Somewhere in there you need a guy who is going to score in bunches and lord knows DeAngelo is gonna do it. At least in the OHL.

I swear to God this kid is going to be a 90-100 point defenseman by the time he is finished with his next year of junior following this one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The last link said a goal and 2 assists and now a goal and 3 assists. Wouldn't that be 7 points? Either way who effing cares, its a 3 ppg average. I don't like the fact we drafted a punk but damn it the kid can play. He's gonna be Boyle 2.0 if he reaches his full potential. Heddy is gonna be #1 for all time, Koekoek is expected to be a #3/#4, Sustr maybe a #3/#4 and Gudas is a rough and tumble a #5/#6. Somewhere in there you need a guy who is going to score in bunches and lord knows DeAngelo is gonna do it. At least in the OHL.

I swear to God this kid is going to be a 90-100 point defenseman by the time he is finished with his next year of junior following this one.

preseason OHL stats are pretty sketchy.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

He has a late birthday so he can actually go to Syracuse for 2015-16. This season, his 4th, might be his last in the CHL.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He has a late birthday so he can actually go to Syracuse for 2015-16. This season, his 4th, might be his last in the CHL.

Heh well how's that for some luck? I know you have to be 20 but I guess lucky for him the fall birthday exception plays to his favor. The sooner in Syracuse, the better. I figure this year and 2 with the Crunch and he should be ready. He really does not need to be in the CHL any longer than this year and another year on top of this would've been overkill for the league.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Well, even if it is just preseason crap, I'd rather see the kid killing it then struggling. I really like this kid, and I hope he pans out for us.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"Lightning's Anthony DeAngelo draws Dan Boyle comparisons"

"TAMPA — From the day in June the Lightning drafted defenseman Anthony DeAngelo in the first round through this month's training camp, the comparison to Dan Boyle has been a popular one.

Assistant coach George Gwozdecky can see it.

Gwozdecky recruited Boyle to Miami (Ohio) in the mid 1990s, before the right-handed shot eventually blossomed into a play-making, puck-moving defenseman and power-play quarterback for Tampa Bay. Gwozdecky says DeAngelo, 18 — who played 13:40 and was plus-1 in his first NHL exhibition game Friday, a 6-3 win against the Stars at Amalie Arena — has the size (5 feet 11, 173 pounds) and skill set Boyle had at the same age.

"We've all seen what career Danny has been able to have," Gwozdecky said of Boyle, a current Ranger with 561 career points in 954 games. "You hate to compare the great players to the up-and-coming players because sometimes it's very unfair. But certainly, some of the qualities you see in Anthony, his ability to be able to transition the puck and see the ice and make plays, they're all there."

Considering the Lightning has tried to replace Boyle since it traded him in 2008, DeAngelo's arrival is intriguing. DeAngelo, the 19th overall pick, needs time to develop and become stronger, but has held his own in his first NHL training camp.

"He was really, really good," said assistant general manager Julien BriseBois. "I'm really pleased we were able to add him because I think he has the potential to turn into a special player."

DeAngelo, a Sewell, N.J. native, comes in with more hype than Boyle, who went undrafted after four seasons at Miami. He hasn't appeared out of place, whether it's hitting Steven Stamkos with a breakout pass or working the point on a power-play unit.

"He's really poised, has a lot of confidence out there, a little swag in the way he plays," coach Jon Cooper said. "So you want that in a player. It's good to see. He's got that wide-eyed (look), and he's pretty excited to be here. And you can see he's got that talent in him, the vision he has, the confidence with the puck. He's fit right in up here."

DeAngelo has been paired with veteran Eric Brewer, absorbing information like a sponge. "He clearly has some very good instincts and some ability that guys don't have right now," Brewer said. "He's going to be good."

Stamkos said DeAngelo is "mature beyond his years" when it comes to reading plays, making the right reads, knowing when to pinch and where to stand back.

"He's known for his offensive ability," Stamkos said. "But for a guy that is not the biggest guy, he's pretty smart out there, and he has poise with the puck."

DeAngelo came from the same Sarnia program in the Ontario junior league that Stamkos did, amassing 71 points (15 goals) in 51 games last season. But DeAngelo also served two suspensions for violating the league's harassment, abuse and diversity policy; both times DeAngelo used a slur, once toward a teammate.

DeAngelo said he isn't a bad person but has made some bad decisions in the heat of the moment. The Lightning has had no issues. "He's a great kid," Stamkos said. "Obviously there was a lot of speculation about what happened with him last year and the suspensions and stuff. We've seen none of that here. He's been very respectful. He really wants to learn, and as an 18-year-old kid coming in, that's what you want to see."

DeAngelo could get reassigned this weekend, but he plans to be back. "I just want to show that I can compete here," he said. "Obviously I want to make the team here, but if not, I just want to leave the impression that I'm closer (to bein

g an NHL player) and that I can compete with these guys. (That's) the big part.""

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...-deangelo-draws-dan-boyle-comparisons/2199665

So far so good. Just hope he has matured.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
After reading that article, it's not just DeAngelo that has issues on that Sarnia team. I don't know what they're putting in the water bottles for those kids, but they need to stop or they aren't going to have enough warm bodies to ice a team.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Damn, I was hoping this kid had turned the corner. Maybe he was a bigger risk than I had thought. Hope this doesn't derail him, and that he gets his act together. Strike one as a lightning prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad