2014 19th Overall - Anthony DeAngelo

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Any examples out there of 5 foot 10 guys weighing 190 pounds that are top 4 defenseman that you would actually want on your team.

I'm asking this because I don't know who is out there with that size that has had success in the last 8 years or so (Don't want to go back to far).

Ryan Ellis

11th overall by Nashville.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Kids been a stud for a long time. He was the youngest player to ever play in the USHL at 14. I read somewhere that he had gotten into a fight in a game against a kid who was 17-18. He's from south Jersey and the Philly area so he's a tough kid. He may be small but he won't get pushed around and will easily stand up for himself and teammates. Not sure he's going to grow much if any in height but will put on weight. He's better offensively then Honka,

tougher then Honka and can be just as good defensively with good coaching.

honka made huge moves this year is faster skater and has a really nice shot.

Deangelo releases his shot faster is decent skater etc..

tougher? honka has shown a lot of grit and shown he can play a little d deangelo has not so time will tell.

Good news is deangelo will get his shot and time to develop and i hope he can put it all together cause at number 19? He would be a steal in time.

See if he has the work ethic and drive and maturity etc.. to become what he can.

I say yes and 4-5 years we will be very happy to have this guy.

More than say barberio by a lot:) P.S. Hopefully barberio can put it together this year too just saying he has disappointed probably after winning defenseman of year in ahl a couple years ago you expect more when someone does that :)

He has this year so maybe he steps it up big time!!

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Deangelo is definitely tougher and meaner than Honka, but D-wise Deangelo is a complete bypasser compared to him. But I don't think ita gonna be a problem going forward given that defense is a lot easier to learn than offense

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This pick is growing on me fast. At first I was disappointed, a few hours later I was okay with it, and now I am really excited. :laugh:

Him and Koekkoek could be a really good young pairing in a few years, with Koekkoek holding it down defensively.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Any examples out there of 5 foot 10 guys weighing 190 pounds that are top 4 defenseman that you would actually want on your team.

I'm asking this because I don't know who is out there with that size that has had success in the last 8 years or so (Don't want to go back to far).

Timonen, Barrie, Campbell, Boyle, Spurgeon, Zidlicky, Enström, Krug, etc. are all good top-4 defensemen (maybe Boyle not so much anymore) still in the league. If a d-man is 5'10" but has good hockey sense, it covers the lack of size (especially if also the player is a good skater).

I understand, but for me their job is to defend and guys like Karlsson should be forwards.

You also need guys that can move the puck up the ice, shoot it from the point, be a PPQB etc. Offensive defenders can get so underrated, it's a very important thing to have at least d-man who is very good with the puck in the team. If the offensive d-man is also good defensively, that's obviously even better. But even it not, these guys are very important.

Kids been a stud for a long time. He was the youngest player to ever play in the USHL at 14. I read somewhere that he had gotten into a fight in a game against a kid who was 17-18. He's from south Jersey and the Philly area so he's a tough kid. He may be small but he won't get pushed around and will easily stand up for himself and teammates. Not sure he's going to grow much if any in height but will put on weight. He's better offensively then Honka, tougher then Honka and can be just as good defensively with good coaching.

Honka is much stronger physically than DeAngelo (but DeAngelo is probably meaner) and also has superior hockey IQ which helps him defensively and he's a better skater. DeAngelo will probably end up being the better offensive player of the two but Honka will be the better overall player.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
honka made huge moves this year is faster skater and has a really nice shot.

Deangelo releases his shot faster is decent skater etc..

tougher? honka has shown a lot of grit and shown he can play a little d deangelo has not so time will tell.

Good news is deangelo will get his shot and time to develop and i hope he can put it all together cause at number 19? He would be a steal in time.

See if he has the work ethic and drive and maturity etc.. to become what he can.

I say yes and 4-5 years we will be very happy to have this guy.

More than say barberio by a lot:) P.S. Hopefully barberio can put it together this year too just saying he has disappointed probably after winning defenseman of year in ahl a couple years ago you expect more when someone does that :)

He has this year so maybe he steps it up big time!!

DeAngelo was also rated something like the 13th best goal-scorer in the entire draft... as a defenseman. (Not sure what list that was on, I think I saw it on BP.)

He's pretty sick with the puck too. Our PP could be pretty potent if he, and some kid named Drouin (but he ugly) develop.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
DeAngelo was also rated something like the 13th best goal-scorer in the entire draft... as a defenseman. (Not sure what list that was on, I think I saw it on BP.)

He's pretty sick with the puck too. Our PP could be pretty potent if he, and some kid named Drouin (but he ugly) develop.

look at all ive said about deangelo?

I dont like comparisons to boyle or honka at all. Said that upfront. This guy has a super quick release. One of a kind maybe. He beats goalies cause can place puck where ever he likes it seems lol but he shoots so fast. Not high velocity but into action?

Might be best ive seen in awhile. Special that way. Good slap shot have to see more in game time etc.. yet the release is just so short no wind up most time etc.. hes gonna score if gets to league. hard to defend someone like this.

kinda like drouin we wonder can he score in bigs but he hides his shot if you watch why gets and beats goalies. Drouin doesnt have a all world shot not even very good probably lol but how he handles stick etc.. makes him probably impossible to stop.

Deangelo has that but he takes less time than drouin you dont expect him to shoot so fast get in gear that fast and make decisions that fast.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
look at all ive said about deangelo?

I dont like comparisons to boyle or honka at all. Said that upfront. This guy has a super quick release. One of a kind maybe. He beats goalies cause can place puck where ever he likes it seems lol but he shoots so fast. Not high velocity but into action?

Might be best ive seen in awhile. Special that way. Good slap shot have to see more in game time etc.. yet the release is just so short no wind up most time etc.. hes gonna score if gets to league. hard to defend someone like this.

kinda like drouin we wonder can he score in bigs but he hides his shot if you watch why gets and beats goalies. Drouin doesnt have a all world shot not even very good probably lol but how he handles stick etc.. makes him probably impossible to stop.

Deangelo has that but he takes less time than drouin you dont expect him to shoot so fast get in gear that fast and make decisions that fast.

What?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Sarnia had the first pick in the OHL draft this year and took dman Jakob Chychrun, who is from Boca Raton, Florida. Would be interesting to see if they play at all together.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

i said drouin hides his shot so when he releases it than he catches goalies off guard.

deangelo gets his shot into gear not a big wind up shoots from anywhere and catches goalies off guard.

He has a harder shot and maybe faster more penetrating shot than drouin.

I have watched a lot of tape on both that is my equation. Drouin is a wizard with puck so his shots get past goalies and think he will have that success everywhere.

Deangelo has a shot doesnt really carry much or wind up he just shoots and has some steam can pick where puts it a lot in any situation. Anytime he is in offensive zone he is a threat to score and that is probably why we took him.

Our problem with d guys last year was getting shots blocked these two guys drouin deangelo are imho going to give goalies fits at one point on power plays at least I hope.

They both have a unique skill set. Drouin smoother on move etc.. but both have something that should absolutely transcend to big league and make them successful.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This pick is growing on me fast. At first I was disappointed, a few hours later I was okay with it, and now I am really excited. :laugh:

Him and Koekkoek could be a really good young pairing in a few years, with Koekkoek holding it down defensively.
Ya for sure at first I thought I saw a barberio righty! But after watching him he really could turn into a stud. Now his defense ? Will it improve enough for nhl ? Or will tampa give him a strong partner one day in nhl! He really has a quick shot! I like that a ton. Needs some more size and will he be able to play his game in the nhl ? If this pick works out what a steal at 19 it will be! When Murray said we think we got a superstar I have no reason to doubt him so far.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
From what I've read about Angelos 'case slur'-incident speaks about being maybe a tad too competitive, not about being an *******. I get why he might be frustrated when his team wins 16/62 games, and when you try to do anything necessary to win you have to bear watching your less-talented teammates do absolutely nothing.

Him being that competitive and hungry for winning is a great thing when he gets into a team where he himself is just a sidekick and not a main star who has to do everything.

newham89

Feb 11, 2010
Nottingham, UK

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
"#19 - TBL - ANTHONY DEANGELO, D
RISER - REACH
TAMPA BAY SHOCKS AND TAKES A PROBLEM CHILD W/ UNQUESTIONABLE TALENT
DB COMMENT: ALL WORLD TALENT, IRRATIONAL PERSONALITY WILL NOT LAST WITH MEN"

That's not what I want to hear.

http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/#!19---TBL---ANTHONY-DEANGELO-D/zoom/c6h5/image1471

Just going off that blurb (meaning I didn't check out the link), I'm gonna take that to mean DeAngelo's personality, not DeAngelo himself, won't last with men.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Just going off that blurb (meaning I didn't check out the link), I'm gonna take that to mean DeAngelo's personality, not DeAngelo himself, won't last with men.

Agreed. No punctuation there.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
One thing about Steve Y is how great he has done at drafting since he took over. Doesn't matter where they finish he is picking up high end talent all through out the draft. Bolts are going to be contending for a very long time. That is the key to a contender in this era. Draft well, and have cost controlled long term assets, rather than overpaying in free agency.

I love the bolts, been following them for a long time. This year I am going to be following the team very closely. I would say I am almost equal parts fan of Leafs and Bolts.

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
It's hard to make personality assessments of an 18 year old kid on the biggest day of his life. That said, I'm encouraged by the Mic'd up video as I see no obvious or outward signs of dickishness. I hope the Lightning can help Tony D develop both as a man and a hockey player as his skill set is undeniable.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
One thing about Steve Y is how great he has done at drafting since he took over. Doesn't matter where they finish he is picking up high end talent all through out the draft. Bolts are going to be contending for a very long time. That is the key to a contender in this era. Draft well, and have cost controlled long term assets, rather than overpaying in free agency.

I love the bolts, been following them for a long time. This year I am going to be following the team very closely. I would say I am almost equal parts fan of Leafs and Bolts.

just go all in its gonna be a fun ride. shout you can come for a game cheaper probably lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad