2014 19th Overall - Anthony DeAngelo

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Off the board a bit. If Yzerman picked him it's because he knows he can give him the support he needs to succeed.

(Habs fan coming in peace)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Our last Sarnia draftie turned out pretty well so hopefully he does the same. He's definitely talented, with our need for RD he can make a push for the 15-16 season.

Yzlamic Preacher*

I am so Yzershocked by the Yzerpick. I just don't know what to Yzerdo! I hope it Yzerworks. Believe in the Yzerplan!

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This guy is seriously talented. If he can clean up his act he can be a real force on the blueline. I think we could've got him at 28, but I guess SFY taking him at 19 shows that he has faith in the guy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he scores 90 points with no disciplinary issues next year, we'll all be beaming.

ADD: Adam Erne ‏@Adamerne73 6m
Congrats to a long time friend @TonyDee07 on getting drafted to the @TBLightning!

Bad news. :p

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

edit: oh a Rowan banner in the back of the 2nd vid. I went there. Yay New Jersey!

Last edited:

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Hard to get excited for someone we won't see for a few years but he sounds legit....... yay.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm not sure whether to rate DeAngelo above or below Namestnikov in terms of our prospects, but he seems to slip in at #4 or #5, below Drouin, Vasya and Koekkoek but above Erne.

Last edited:

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Those quotes from his dad that were posted in the Draft thread are concerning though. Sounds as if he is a product of his environment. That is a bit more ingrained then just losing your cool once in a while.

But our scouting department has been stellar the last few seasons so guess benefit of the doubt.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Al Murray seems happy about this. So we should probably get optimistic.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith
“The only thing missing was Pharrell Williams singing the Happy song,’’ quipped #TBLightning's Al Murray. “Otherwise everything was perfect
#TBLightning director of amateur scouting Al Murray said his staff spent more time on DeAngelo than any prospect in his 20-year career
Both #TBLightning Murray and Yzerman said they believe in DeAngelo's character, that he'll grow up and be model player
Murray would not disclose what slur DeAngelo used to get suspended, but said the 18-year-old was up-front and told them. #TBLightning
NHL Network analyst Craig Button on #TBLightning DeAngelo: "I love DeAngelo. Reminds me of Sergei Zubov. Best offensive (d-man) in draft."
https://twitter.com/Missy_Zielinski
Director of amateur scouting Al Murray said Anthony DeAngelo is best offensive defenseman in draft. #TBLightning

Last edited:

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
I personally like the pick. If he's the best "offensive" Dman in the draft and a Dman went #1 overall, I think we did alright.

What exactly did he get suspended for and would he have been in the NHL? He could be a high skilled D who is also a rat and gets under other teams skins.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I personally like the pick. If he's the best "offensive" Dman in the draft and a Dman went #1 overall, I think we did alright.

What exactly did he get suspended for and would he have been in the NHL? He could be a high skilled D who is also a rat and gets under other teams skins.

Something along the lines of being abusive toward teammates with the use of some sort of slur. It must have been pretty extreme in order to get him suspended. Once was for verbal abuse of an official. He's not downplaying it, which is good.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-d-man/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
To hear Tampa Bay scouting director Al Murray explain it, the club got fantastic value with Anthony DeAngelo at No. 19, a player Murray called “the most skilled offensive defenseman in the draft.”

Upon saying that, I asked if the Bolts had DeAngelo rated higher than Aaron Ekblad — the OHL Barrie blueliner taken first overall — in terms of offensive ability.

Murray’s response was telling.

“Ekblad’s a special player, but he doesn’t have the offensive ability that Anthony has at this point,” he said. “Aaron Ekblad’s a tremendous player. He’s physically strong enough to be in the NHL next year, he’s a shutdown defenseman that plays with a mean streak.

“But when it comes to his actual puck skills and offensive game, he makes a solid first pass and he’s got a bomb for a shot from the point — but we don’t see the same ability to move the puck around, have the same vision, make all the different passes in different zones that Anthony has.”
“The thing we really liked is that he took responsibility for some of the errors he made,” Murray explained. “We checked so many different people that had been in his history. I think you saw maybe our biggest group of people ever up on the stage, because every one of those guys that was up on the stage had spent time going into the background of Anthony.

“We met with anyone and everyone that had ever been associated with him, and everything came back positive.”
“He’s just an outstanding offensive talent,” Murray said of DeAngelo. “We got a tremendously skilled player who is very smart and highly competitive.”
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...2186383?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
"That's definitely in the past," DeAngelo said. "It's been in the past for me for a while, but I still had to explain myself and be honest because teams need to do their homework and not go into it saying, 'It's not a big deal,' because it was a big deal and a mistake. I've learned from it, and I'm ready to change, and I'm going to bring a high-character, high-competitive guy to the organization."
"Time will tell, ultimately we believe in the boy," general manager Steve Yzerman said. "He's 18 years old, and he's acted in situations that are unacceptable in society today. We believe he's a good kid, and we're going to give him the opportunity, but we're going to hold him to the expectations of all our players in Tampa. … Any improper conduct won't be tolerated. But he's 18 years old. I was 18 at one point and did a lot of things that wouldn't be considered acceptable today. Kids change, and we expect him to change. We believe he'll change and grow up."

Mihms06

Jan 11, 2012
Florida
So on Anthony DeAngelo, I know everyone is saying he is small and this and that. But I have a legitimate thought/question based on that, that I would like to run by as I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned or even thought this yet.

Seeing his highlight video, the points he put up and of course his size all taken into consideration. Do you think Yzerman and the management team maybe had a chat with him asking how comfortable he might possibly be at a forward position? Just from his video, seeing him dangle a lot and liking to take the offensive game over, it is a thought that crossed my mind. Kind of like we saw San Jose do with Brent Burns which turned out well for them. Fire away with thoughts!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So on Anthony DeAngelo, I know everyone is saying he is small and this and that. But I have a legitimate thought/question based on that, that I would like to run by as I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned or even thought this yet.

Seeing his highlight video, the points he put up and of course his size all taken into consideration. Do you think Yzerman and the management team maybe had a chat with him asking how comfortable he might possibly be at a forward position? Just from his video, seeing him dangle a lot and liking to take the offensive game over, it is a thought that crossed my mind. Kind of like we saw San Jose do with Brent Burns which turned out well for them. Fire away with thoughts!

Doubtful. Otherwise Mark Barberio would already be playing forward. I think they liked the offense from the point.

Mihms06

Jan 11, 2012
Florida
Doubtful. Otherwise Mark Barberio would already be playing forward. I think they liked the offense from the point.

That could be the case, but he seems to have a much higher level of offensive talent from what I'm seeing than Barbs does. But obviously I have only seen a small sample from him. His vision seems to be what possibly could separate him from Barbs as well. Just a thought I figured I would throw out there none the less. ^__^

Mihms06

Jan 11, 2012
Florida
LOL, not sure at all to be honest. Seems we did the most research on him compared to any other player in the past according to sources. So they must like or well.... LOVE something about him. It's going to be interesting to where his game goes from here, because it's almost definitive that he returns to juniors next season. Because I don't see him making the Bolts roster this year. And he can't go to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00