2014 19th Overall - Anthony DeAngelo

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
just go all in its gonna be a fun ride. shout you can come for a game cheaper probably lol

I wish :laugh: Probably cheaper to fly down south and attend a game with a front row seat, grab a hotel, and come back the next day then a front row seat at the ACC.

I have been watching the lightning since their cup win, and I just can't help it but love their players. Every move they make, Steve Y isn't incompetent, and they know how to draft and trade.

Plus all these high potential rookies coming up. I'll probably be watching a lot of lightning games this year for sure. You guys will see me around the GDT.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
"If he was 6-foot, we think he would be top five in the draft, maybe top 10 in the draft," Murray said. "Statistics say kids at that age are probably going to grow and inch and gain, if they work at it, 15 pounds. We hope he's going to be closer to 5-11, 185 when he's playing in the NHL."

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Note: Yzerman does not joke. Ever. (5:25)

Oh man, he gave him the evil eYe.

DeAngelo is saying all the right things and he seems genuine. I hope he really has learned from his mistakes because he is exactly what we need. A top four righty that can put up some offense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Oh man, he gave him the evil eYe.

DeAngelo is saying all the right things and he seems genuine. I hope he really has learned from his mistakes because he is exactly what we need. A top four righty that can put up some offense.

I think Yzerman actually took it okay until Duthie added "Not too impressed, I can tell." Steve just looked uncomfortable then, to me.

Duthie talked about the interview on TSN radio that night, which was kind of interesting.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I think Yzerman actually took it okay until Duthie added "Not too impressed, I can tell." Steve just looked uncomfortable then, to me.

Duthie talked about the interview on TSN radio that night, which was kind of interesting.

Kind of a stupid joke to make; in the first place, how many people would actually know exactly what interview he's referring to, and if the issue was big enough for Yzerman to actually be offended, why bring it up on official coverage?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kind of a stupid joke to make; in the first place, how many people would actually know exactly what interview he's referring to, and if the issue was big enough for Yzerman to actually be offended, why bring it up on official coverage?

haha, I think most people remember the interview. TSN (radio, particularly) made a pretty big deal about it because it showed the kind of stress Yzerman was under.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
haha, I think most people remember the interview. TSN (radio, particularly) made a pretty big deal about it because it showed the kind of stress Yzerman was under.

Ah, I never heard of it (and doubt most casual fans have, either).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ah, I never heard of it (and doubt most casual fans have, either).

Yeah, that's probably true. It's more a Canadian thing. But I would guess 90% of their viewers at the time knew exactly what Duthie was referencing. To Duthie's credit, even after getting cold-stared twice by Yzerman, he understands why he got the reaction he got.

It's obviously still a bit of a sensitive issue with Yzerman though. I always go back to Doug MacLean reporting a former teammate of Yzerman's saying he'd never seen Yzerman as angry as he was about the MSL situation. Yzerman has the cool exterior, but he's obviously a fiery guy (as seen during his playing career), so I think it's safe to assume a lot went on behind closed doors that we don't know about.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm excited about this kid. I know he had his issues but he seems like a kid who knows what he did was wrong and is ready to work hard and do whatever it takes to win. I could see him being a leader on the team when he matures and gets some real experience in this league. It could take a while but he seems to have that must win attitude that great players have in this league. With all the other talent on this team there's no reason to think he won't be a legit weapon for us in the back end when he "gets it" at this level.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Am I missing something? What's the whole inside joke deal with Yzerman and Duthie?

I'm pretty confused as well, and Google didn't help. Anyone want to elaborate?

My guess is that since the "joke" was "going to ask about the player you took, instead of the players you didn't" it was in reference to Team Canada roster.

Pure speculation on my part but made sense to me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Am I missing something? What's the whole inside joke deal with Yzerman and Duthie?

Nah, it's in reference to the interview James Duthie did with Steve Yzerman directly after the Team Canada roster was announced. Duthie pressed the MSL issue pretty hard and Yzerman was clearly irritated. It was talked about a lot over the next couple of days up here, particularly on TSN radio. Just about anyone following TSN's Olympic coverage knows about the Duthie-Yzerman interview. (Couldn't find it on youtube.)

Keep in mind, what no one knew at the time was MSL had made his trade requested either that morning or the previous night.

So here, with DeAngelo, which was the first time Duthie had seen Yzerman since, he tried to lighten the mood/break the tension with a little joke. But the issue is either still pretty sensitive with Yzerman, or he was just caught off guard and not comfortable in the moment.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Nah, it's in reference to the interview James Duthie did with Steve Yzerman directly after the Team Canada roster was announced. Duthie pressed the MSL issue pretty hard and Yzerman was clearly irritated. It was talked about a lot over the next couple of days up here, particularly on TSN radio. Just about anyone following TSN's Olympic coverage knows about the Duthie-Yzerman interview. (Couldn't find it on youtube.)

Keep in mind, what no one knew at the time was MSL had made his trade requested either that morning or the previous night.

So here, with DeAngelo, which was the first time Duthie had seen Yzerman since, he tried to lighten the mood/break the tension with a little joke. But the issue is either still pretty sensitive with Yzerman, or he was just caught off guard and not comfortable in the moment.

Ah man, I kinda want to see that interview now.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Have just seen this vid of DeAngelo on the Lightning website, which showss him being 5'11 167lbs at the end of the vid. If those numbers are true, he only needs to put on some weight and he should be alright. He was measured at 5'9 at the beginning of last season, so it wouldn't surpise me if he gets to 6'0, which is still on the smaller side for defenders, but wouldn't be a concern anymore.

http://video.lightning.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=55

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I see him as a Matt Carle in 3 to 4 years of development. He has the potential to be Karlson light though.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I see him as a Matt Carle in 3 to 4 years of development. He has the potential to be Karlson light though.

He could be MAB or he can be Karlsson, or anywhere in between. I really hope he develops his defensive game a bit. He'll always be a bit undersized for a defenseman, but you don't need to be bigger and stronger than everyone to play defense. His offensive skills are off the charts already. He could be something really, really special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad