Line Combos: 2014-15 vol. II

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
MoToR
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Michalek-Lazar-Chiasson
Legwand-Smith-Neil/Condra

I like it, but both Left handed centers on the same line means we a lot of that group whenever there's a faceoff on the left side of the ice.

I might try and give some extra kick to the 2nd line by swapping Ryan and Stone, but I know everyone here just wants to keep Ryan with Turris and Mac. For what it's worth, Ryan has more pts/20 with Zibanejad than Turris. Turris has more pts per 20 with Stone than Ryan.

Combo | Pts/20 | CF%
Turris w Ryan | 0.59 | 43
Turris w Stone | 0.70 | 53.3
Ryan w Turris | 0.20 | 43
Ryan w Zibanejad | 0.60 | 44.4
Turris w Chiasson | 0.84 | 48.8

But ya, everyone here knows best, keep Mac Turris Ryan together, coach is an idiot for breaking them apart.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
But ya, everyone here knows best, keep Mac Turris Ryan together, coach is an idiot for breaking them apart.[/COLOR]

Not really a fair comment from you. I don't want Chiasson on the top line. Stone would be ok for me, except for the fact that I want to keep the kid line together. So that leaves Ryan, who had some success with that line.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I like it, but both Left handed centers on the same line means we a lot of that group whenever there's a faceoff on the left side of the ice.

I might try and give some extra kick to the 2nd line by swapping Ryan and Stone, but I know everyone here just wants to keep Ryan with Turris and Mac. For what it's worth, Ryan has more pts/20 with Zibanejad than Turris. Turris has more pts per 20 with Stone than Ryan.

Combo | Pts/20 | CF%
Turris w Ryan | 0.59 | 43
Turris w Stone | 0.70 | 53.3
Ryan w Turris | 0.20 | 43
Ryan w Zibanejad | 0.60 | 44.4
Turris w Chiasson | 0.84 | 48.8

But ya, everyone here knows best, keep Mac Turris Ryan together, coach is an idiot for breaking them apart.

How many mins does Ryan have with Turris? Can't be many. Interest though. Thought it would have been the opposite.

Based on that:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Lazar-Legwand-Chiasson
Michalek-Smith-Condra

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not really a fair comment from you. I don't want Chiasson on the top line. Stone would be ok for me, except for the fact that I want to keep the kid line together. So that leaves Ryan, who had some success with that line.

Tbh, I don't have a problem with Ryan on the top line, more the comments that it should never be broken up and that the coach is an idiot for doing so.

I understand your rational and the comment isn't directed at you, as your not saying that line should not break up, but rather that you'd prefer to keep the kid line together, and aren't a fan of Chiasson on the top line. You've provided a rational explanation, rather than just saying that line has chemistry/is great and should never be apart. The line hasn't been the same this year, possibly because of additional attention who knows.

edit: One point I want to touch on after a second reflection, not specifically directed towards you, but the general desire to keep the kid line together. I understand the concept of keep a good thing together, but I don't want to sacrifice making our top 2 lines stronger so that we can get a solid 13-15 mins out of our kid line. I also think it's good to reward the kids with promotions up the lines, as I doubt they can as a group get significantly more icetime. I think giving Stone and Hoffman time in the top six (on separate lines) would be good for their development and still allow us to insulate them a bit.

How many mins does Ryan have with Turris? Can't be many. Interest though. Thought it would have been the opposite.
About 43% of Ryan's ES icetime is with Turris (102 mins). Not a huge sample, but he's spent about the same with Zibanejad (100 mins).

Based on that:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Lazar-Legwand-Chiasson
Michalek-Smith-Condra

Hard to put Lazar on the LW, it would be his off wing. I might try Legwand on the wing instead, and have them swap for faceoffs on the left side of the ice. Otherwise, I really like those lines but don't see Neil being a scratch.

I'd also run with the following D pairs until MEthot's return

Wiercioch-Karlsson (this one might get broken up if it's an epic fail)
Cowen-Ceci
Boro/Phillips-Gryba

The Boro/Phillips-Gryba pair would be primarily a PK pair with about 10 mins ES play in defensive situations. Not expecting any offense out of them, they just need to keep it out of the net until Karlsson or Ceci's pairs can get out there.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We are 20 games in now & we can expect that every team is getting better & the games are going to be harder to win moving forward. Send Lazar to the WJC & then back to junior where he can dominate & get some confidence back. In the mean time Ottawa can look to make a deal or a top 6 forward. Methot should improve the defene once he returns.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Michalek - Legwand - Chiasson
Greening - Smith - Neil/Condra

Last edited:

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Macarthur - Turris - Chiasson --> They seem to be getting better everygame. Don't break them up.
Hoffman - Zibby - Ryan --> I really wanna see this. I liked Hoffman playing with Ryan tonight, but I think they could get Zibby going

I want this as the top 6 to try it out

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hoffman-Ryan together now.

Can't separate those two after tonight. If Zibanejad becomes sliggghtttly better offensively that line would be destructive.

Mac-Turris
Hoffman-Ryan
Michalek-Smith
Condra-Anyone

Those are tandems you can't break up right now, imo.

BigBush*

what a game by condra. hes definitely worked his way back into the line up. id expect him to be a regular for the most part from here on out

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
This what I'd do but it wont happen,

Mac - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Lazar - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Condra - Pageau/Smith - Neil
Legwand

Ultimately I'd try to trade Michalek, Smith and Greening to open up some spots.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

Mac - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Lazar - Ryan
Legwand

Agreed. Dont think they could field a better lineup right now

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Mac - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Lazar - Ryan
Legwand

Don't forget Legweight! ;)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Looking at our forwards, we don't have a single real first line player today. Ryan could perhaps be one, but hasn't showed anywhere close to what a 1st liner should play like.

Turris = 2nd line
Zibanejad = 3rd line
Lazar = 3/4th line
Legwand = 3/4th line
Smith = 4th line

Ryan = 2nd line
MacArthur = 2nd line
Stone = 2nd line
Hoffman = 2nd line
Chiasson = 2/3rd line
Michalek = 3/4th line
Neil = 4th line
Condra = 4th line
Greening = 4th line

Defence is almost as bad.

Karlsson 1st pairing
Ceci 2nd pairing
Cowen 2nd pairing
Gryba 3rd/AHL pairing
Wiercioch 3rd/AHL pairing
Phillips WHL pairing
Borowiecki 3rd pairing
Methot 2nd pairing

Goalies are saving our butts.

Looking at this abortion of a roster we should be lucky to be in the PO race at all.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
With Methot and Ryan in the lineup would be nice to see Ottawa roll with
Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zib-Ryan--> Hoffman looked good with Ryan and looked good with Zib, maybe he pulls that line together
Michalek-Lazar-Chiasson
Smith/condra-Legwand-Neil

Like the top 9 but 4th line isn't great… hard to fit those guys as Condra and Legwand are the best, and Smith hasn't looked good at centre, but he looked even worse on wing.
Ideally would love to see Neil as the 13th and have pageau or someone called up to play wing there instead, but neil isn't going to be scratched like that

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Boro/phillips-Gryba
Wier

would prefer phillips rotating with gryba and bork on bottom pair same as wire but don't see Phillips being sat for long periods of time...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
first off we gotta be patient because:

hoffman
zibanejad
stone

could be first liners, even lazar.

2ndly, all we really need, imo, is one more sure fire top liner to have a balanced enough team to go on a run

2nd-2nd-1st
2nd-2nd-1st
2nd-3rd-2nd
3rd-4th-3rd

We gotta be patient or make a trade for top 3 winger. Anything else is moot point unless we acquire Perron without giving up much but dats unlikely.

Methot will help tremendously

2nd-1sttt
2nd-2nd
3rd-3rd

right now this is our roster

2nd-2nd-2nd
2nd-3rd-2nd
4th-4th-4th
4th-4th-4th

Ahl-1st
2ndish-2nd
3rd-3rd

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Don't want to be Debbie Downer, but there isn't a single team in the NHL that has a worse roster and a worse prospect pool, than we have.

If I'm wrong, who is it?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
No, we are close. we need to plug the guys into the right slots.

Zbad is not a 2C right now; take the pressure off him

Lets try

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur- Lazar - Ryan
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson
Condra - Zibanejad - Prince
Neil
Gone somehow - Greening, Legwand, Smith

Zbad, Methot in a package for Eberle to solidify our RW

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009