2014-15 Training Camp Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There is a marked discrepency every year between the number of players HF Boards think have 'no chance' of passing through waivers unclaimed and the number that actually get claimed.

Most (if not every) team will already have two NHL goaltenders set. Team with an injury problem might claim Tokarski, but he's no certainty to get claimed.

Can you afford to take that chance?
The decision to keep Tok has to start and end with Waite.
He obviously swayed the decision last spring.
Tokarski is the best long term option for the club.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Can you afford to take that chance?
The decision to keep Tok has to start and end with Waite.
He obviously swayed the decision last spring.
Tokarski is the best long term option for the club.

Like you said they've already took the decision last year, i Wonder why PB is still with the team. Not that we desperatly need the money right now but maybe later and Tokarski is 900k cheaper.

PricePkPatch*

Whats so bloody wrong about 50-15-15?

Price gains nothing by playing 10 games more. The team will gain by playing Torks 10 games more

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Whats so bloody wrong about 50-15-15?

Price gains nothing by playing 10 games more. The team will gain by playing Torks 10 games more

How will the team gain? Price is a better goalie than Tokarski. The team will lose more games with Tokarski than with Price.

50-15-15 is Pejorative Slured.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Line combos I'd like to see at some point (I don't know everyone's natural wing):

Galchenyuk with Sekac and Bozon
Malhotra with Moen and Bournival
Desharnais with Gallagher and Andrighetto
Plekanec with Pacioretty and Parenteau
Eller with McCarron and De La Rose
Galchenyuk with Parenteau and Scherbak
Desharnais with Hudon and Parenteau
Eller with Scherbak and Galchenyuk
Dumont with Hudon and Andrighetto

Pateryn and Bennett
Emelin and Gilbert
Beaulieu and Subban
Tinordi and Subban
Markov and Nygren
Pateryn and Weaver
Tinordi and Wardley
Markov and Ellis

PricePkPatch*

How will the team gain? Price is a better goalie than Tokarski. The team will lose more games with Tokarski than with Price.

50-15-15 is Pejorative Slured.

Tokarski will only gain value by tending in the NHL.

The team might come off better if they make Torks play more. Plus, our team always reacted damn well to BackupGoalie-tough opponents. Didnt we won against Anaheim? Didnt we beat Boston multiples times with Budaj in the nets?

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Line combos I'd like to see at some point (I don't know everyone's natural wing):

Galchenyuk with Sekac and Bozon
Malhotra with Moen and Bournival
Desharnais with Gallagher and Andrighetto
Plekanec with Pacioretty and Parenteau
Eller with McCarron and De La Rose
Galchenyuk with Parenteau and Scherbak
Desharnais with Hudon and Parenteau
Eller with Scherbak and Galchenyuk
Dumont with Hudon and Andrighetto

Into smurf line ?
Some people will never learn. :laugh:

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Tokarski will only gain value by tending in the NHL.

The team might come off better if they make Torks play more. Plus, our team always reacted damn well to BackupGoalie-tough opponents. Didnt we won against Anaheim? Didnt we beat Boston multiples times with Budaj in the nets?

Bergevin would be fired on the spot if he had the same mentality as you.

You play to win. You play your #1 goalie (top 5 in the NHL) as many games as possible. Think about it, do you think Price would rather play 50 games or 65 games?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't see any defenceman other than Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn earning a chance to play in the NHL. Maybe they give Bennett an extra look and that's it. He's making a strong case for fourth in the Montreal prospect d chart.

At forward, it's Sekac's spot to lose and I don't see him losing it.

Sekac should make the team but keep in mind we already have 13 bodies up front.
So if there are no injuries and we go with a 13/8/2 ratio we will need to lose someone.

The D situation is also tight. I think Bolly gets the initial nod on LD and the veterans on RD.
The decisions to be made are with Tin Man Pateryn and Nygren they will have to force the clubs hand.
If we assume the LD playing a RD position is FINALLY over and done with and we can assure adequate icetime for the kids i see Tin Man and either Pateryn/Nygren sticking with the club.

The key is Gilbert will he surprise like Weaver did?
If he is eating up minutes I think I try to convince Nygren to stick around and allow Pateryn to play full time in Hamilton. Greg is probably my choice but when he arrives it will be full time and for good.

Should be an interesting Camp... :handclap::)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
There is a marked discrepency every year between the number of players HF Boards think have 'no chance' of passing through waivers unclaimed and the number that actually get claimed.

Most (if not every) team will already have two NHL goaltenders set. Team with an injury problem might claim Tokarski, but he's no certainty to get claimed.

I agree that there are a few players going through waivers unclaimed that people think will never get through...however, after the way Tokarski played in the playoffs and his past success at lower levels, plus his age, I'm sure the Habs won't risk a team claiming him unless he has a horrible camp.

All things being equal, I think they'd like to trade Budaj and that may have to wait until later in camp where some team may look for a back up. Even if the Habs have to eat 200-300k of his cap hit, they still come out ahead cap wise and long term at the position. Tokarski is signed cheap next year when Mb will need cap room for Gallagher Galchenyuk and others...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Bet they're just keeping Budaj around for training camp to give Tokarski a challenge instead of handing him the job. Currently and especially long-term, it makes a lot more sense to keep Tokarski... especially if something happens to Price the team would be better off with him starting than Budaj considering how awful he was once Price was out last year.

If Tokarski struggles Joey MacDonald is a decent backup that can play 15 games if needed.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Dubious ethics at that age?
Caught cheating at CEGEP?

I doubt he ever went to CEGEP, went to prep school and played in Ontario last 2 years.

I don't see any defenceman other than Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn earning a chance to play in the NHL. Maybe they give Bennett an extra look and that's it. He's making a strong case for fourth in the Montreal prospect d chart.

At forward, it's Sekac's spot to lose and I don't see him losing it.

Nygren should be in the conversation with Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu...I think he may have a better chance than anybody other than Beauleu, given his age and the fact that they want to see what he can do.

As for Sekac, no doubt he has looked good so far, but he hasn't played a single game against NHLers, so we should be cautious in our optimism.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Budaj brings a great attitude and experience. He knows and accepts his role. He is also oddly good against the Bruins in Boston. With all that said I believe none of these qualities are enough to lose Tokarski to waivers.
If Bergervin has to waive one over the other, Budaj would be waived.
The entire season on the line, Habs went with Tokarski, that says it all.
Budaj would save 900K on the cap if waived and sent to Hamilton. Tough decisions ahead but as for me...
Price should be backd up by Tokarski.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I say you should keep Tokarski and trade Budaj. Budaj is a good guy, but you can't count on him to win more than 1 game straight. If you play him 3-4 straight, you're in deep trouble.

Tokarski still has the motivation, stamina and determination to be counted on long-term if something bad happens with Price.

torontohabsfan1987

Sep 17, 2014
Anyone else think that Momesso is going to get a hard time from some of these guys who know the only reason hes there is because of big Sergio ? He obviously doesnt belong anywhere near an NHL training camp. Kept saying in the media that his goal was to get an NCAA ride, what happened to that? Obviously no one was interested. He only had one good year in Junior A. Sucks to see our club give this many favours to an employees kid.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Sekac should make the team but keep in mind we already have 13 bodies up front.
So if there are no injuries and we go with a 13/8/2 ratio we will need to lose someone.

The D situation is also tight. I think Bolly gets the initial nod on LD and the veterans on RD.
The decisions to be made are with Tin Man Pateryn and Nygren they will have to force the clubs hand.
If we assume the LD playing a RD position is FINALLY over and done with and we can assure adequate icetime for the kids i see Tin Man and either Pateryn/Nygren sticking with the club.

The key is Gilbert will he surprise like Weaver did?
If he is eating up minutes I think I try to convince Nygren to stick around and allow Pateryn to play full time in Hamilton. Greg is probably my choice but when he arrives it will be full time and for good.

Should be an interesting Camp... :handclap::)

I expect Moen to potentially be traded, especially if Sekac(or Andrighetto or DLR) shows he is ready right away.

I think you're in for a shock if you don't expect them to play a LR on the right side ever again, it happens a lot in hockey and it's not a big deal. They expect Gilbert to have a pretty big role this year, so expectations are a loot higher than Weaver whom most posters did not know.

Bet they're just keeping Budaj around for training camp to give Tokarski a challenge instead of handing him the job. Currently and especially long-term, it makes a lot more sense to keep Tokarski... especially if something happens to Price the team would be better off with him starting than Budaj considering how awful he was once Price was out last year.

If Tokarski struggles Joey MacDonald is a decent backup that can play 15 games if needed.

That, plus the fact that maybe MB thinks there will be ore interest near the end of camp after teams get a look at what they have or don't have...

Bergevin would be fired on the spot if he had the same mentality as you.

You play to win. You play your #1 goalie (top 5 in the NHL) as many games as possible. Think about it, do you think Price would rather play 50 games or 65 games?

Yes and no...yes #1 goalie has to play a lot, but you also need to force yourself to rest him the 1st half or you pay for it the last 20-25 games.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I say you should keep Tokarski and trade Budaj. Budaj is a good guy, but you can't count on him to win more than 1 game straight. If you play him 3-4 straight, you're in deep trouble.

Tokarski still has the motivation, stamina and determination to be counted on long-term if something bad happens with Price.

Thats probably the plan, as it's been said before they made the decision in the playoffs.

My guess is that they might keep all 3 (even though that's not ideal) and wait a couple weeks into the season when injuries pile up around the league giving Budaj trade value. MB is probably hoping this happens during pre season.

The problem with keeping 3 goalies is how you manage Waite's time and their workload during practice, you can't just ignore Budaj after being such a great teamate the past couple seasons.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
3 goalie system? Lirl
My take: Budaj is a permanent back-up, always dressed. When Price sits (undressed), Tokarski plays, and Budaj still remains back-up

Price: 60 games
Tokarski: 20 games
Budaj: 2 starting games, and few games played as not a starter.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
My take: Budaj is a permanent back-up, always dressed. When Price sits (undressed), Tokarski plays, and Budaj still remains back-up

Some team will underperform as a result of porous goaltending. Hopefully that team will panic at some point, and MB will pounce on the opportunity thereby getting something for Budaj.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Nope.
We have far too much development to do up front and with the D.
Taking a valuable roster spot for a 3rd goalie is Bad Bad Bad.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Nope.
We have far too much development to do up front and with the D.
Taking a valuable roster spot for a 3rd goalie is Bad Bad Bad.

Agreed. There is no need to have 3 goalies for an extended period of time. Let Toker and Budaj battle it out and trade the one who loses.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Some team will underperform as a result of porous goaltending. Hopefully that team will panic at some point, and MB will pounce on the opportunity thereby getting something for Budaj.

Exactly,
We all sense MB has something up his sleeve.
There is far too much (upgrade) talent knocking on the door right now.
It is 100% time to answer that door and move out some of the known quantity for true potential.
We have a strong enough backbone now to do that and not affect our overall ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad